Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Fools and their money etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I've returned far more DoA poo poo than I have replaced in a 3 year period.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Microcenter has 60GB OCZ Vertex Plus drives (Indilinx controller) drives for $19

Cant wait for the "hey i bought a bunch of these for my RAID 10" post

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Whats the word on SSDs in high temperature(45C+) environments?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

:chord: hipsters use old pencils with real lead

Uaing their iPad as a desk to write on some Big Chief tablets

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

I want a big, fast SSD to replace my 300gb Raptor. Storage Review is telling me that the Corsair Neutron GTX is the best drive out there, but the review is dated August 2012. What is the current "best" drive? It seems like this thread is dedicated to telling people to avoid every drive out there, so I don't want to walk into a $500 minefield.

Intel 330, Samsung 840 Pros, Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe. Either of these 3 will definitely fit the bill of fast and reliable, just buy which ever one you desire

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
You should be making backups of important files regardless of whether it is a mechanical or solid-state drive.

Two is one and one is none.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

Why is that the SSDs that get recommended here are from companies like Mushkin or SanDisk, and some of the drives specifically mentioned to avoid are from Crucial, Plextor, OCZ, Corsair, yet when I check other forums or sites Anandtech, they only seem to pay attention to Corsair, OCZ, Crucial, Plextor, etc...?

Example benchmark:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6428/corsair-neutron-neutron-gtx-all-capacities-tested/2

Even the SSD benchmark database linked by the OP, http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65, doesn't even list a single SanDisk Extreme or Mushkin drive.

We stress reliability and price/performance over raw performance because we don't want someones first post after a new build to be in the Haus of Tech Support trying to diagnose why their 5.1ghz overclock is crashing and their OCZ drive is only detecting very 4 boots.

Also, we aren't getting paid to shill for people.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

td4guy posted:

So it seems that Intel has discontinued their 520 series SSDs.

The Samsung 840 Pro 512GB is sold out on both Amazon and NewEgg. They're pretty pricey, so I can't imagine they're that popular. Anyone know the reason behind the shortage?

That is a shame

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Xenomorph posted:

This thread is the only place where I've seen recommendations to not get an M500 SSD. Sure, it's not SandForce/Intel/Samsung, but is it really that bad?

All the part recommendation threads stress reliability over cost. There's no reason to recommend any parts with questionable background when there is no shortage of parts with none of these issues.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Larrymer posted:

It turns out that it works a lot better if you give the SSD some power. :doh:

Thanks for helping out some idiot on the internet.

If I makes you feel any better I couldnt get an SDD to detect in my laptop last week because I couldn't see the SATA connector and was sliding the drive under it. I've only been doing this for 17 years.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The Mushkin Chronos Enhanced Deluxe is no longer explicitly mentioned in the OP. Has something changed about these drives or are they just no longer as good of a price/performance value?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Well knowing the manufacturer would help

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
nm

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 3, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
nm

Proud Christian Mom fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 3, 2014

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
nm

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Yeah I think I'll take my chances of a bad RMA experience with Samsung instead of buying drives from questionable manufacturers just so I can save some trivial amount

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
At a little over a year on my Mushkin 240GB I'm at around 4.4TB in writes so yeah I'm not really worried about some hilarious scenario where Joe User is somehow going to exhaust the write space of their SSD

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Drives fail without warning all the time and counting on some lead time as your exit strategy is a pretty poor way to go about it. Its why we stress backups. One copy means you're one crappy day away from no copies. This isn't an if, its a when.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There is literally no point to introducing uncertainty into your computer to save a trivial amount

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I know what I'm doing: Samsung
I don't know what I'm doing: Intel

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Go spite your to save :tenbux: all you want just dont make the same recommendation to others kthx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
There was a pretty neat thread awhile back concerning archival and long term storage solutions(5 year+) and there really isn't a great answer for it. Making it someone else's problem is your best bet.

• Locked thread