Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Greedish posted:

I don't know anything about hard drives, what does each of those measurements mean? When is each of those read/write types used?
I'll give an oversimplified explanation.

Access time, also called Seek time: Time it takes to physically get to the file and prepare to transfer it. Hard drives have a very significant access time (milliseconds, which might not sound long but when much of the computer operates in times measured in nanoseconds, it adds up), dependent on physical location of the data, physical location of last data accessed, RPM speed of the drive, number of platters/density, etc. SSDs on the other hand have no moving parts involved, so access times are usually less than 1 milisecond for any random location. When doing large amounts of small I/Os like this, the performance of the SSDs IO controller comes into play.

Random Transfer rate: How many bytes it can read or write per second, in chunks of X-size located in random areas of the drive. Running a large search on thousands of small text files, for example.

Sequential rate: The data chunks are physically laid out one after the either. Imagine a large 100MB zip file for example. In fact, this is why defragmenting to speed things up has been popular for years. It takes random access (file split into chunks spread out across the drive) and turns it into sequential access.

It is entirely possible for an HDD to beat an SSD in Transfer rates, yet the SSD be the better performer in realistic situations due to the faster access times.

And 4KB is used because it is the smallest NTFS file size, so it is basically a worst-case scenario that can be benchmarked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Micro Center has the 64GB Kingston V100 on sale for $59 no rebates. Any known issues with that drive? I am thinking about picking up two of them for a RAID0.
I already have a Patriot 60GB I just bought and am happy with it, but really could use more space..
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355841

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So I bought a 2TB Samsung HDD and moved my 60GB SSD to a Intel SRT cache. I am really happy with the performance actually, yeah 1st time loads suck as much as a HDD but since I usually play the same 3-4 games it makes a big difference with no symlink fuckery, and all my other commonly used apps launch instantly.

My question is, does TRIM work on an SRT cache drive?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So am I the only one who really likes SRT caching? Windows boots up within 10 seconds and all that, and games get cached when I play them regularly (like after 2-3 times) so I get pretty quick load times. I tend to only play the same 2-3 games anyway until I switch one out for a new game.

Obviously the big disadvantage is that you have to load it once from the HDD before it can be cached, but I think it is worth it just so I don't have to constantly micro-manage my SSD with what games I am currently playing and all that. Plus I only have a 64GB SSD which is too small to store more than 1-2 games on, but even if I had a 128GB I'd still prefer using 60GB of it as cache. WHen 256GB hits $150 I'll probably switch the 64GB to a dedicated system drive and use the 256GB for games, but I am pretty happy with SRT right now.

• Locked thread