Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I just got my Crucial M4 256GB up and running and it's absurd how fast things are. But boot time isn't quite as good as I was expecting; it still sits at the motherboard splash screen for ~30 seconds before moving on. I ran CrystalDiskMark and compared my benchmarks to some online for the drive, and mine do seem to be lacking. The ones I found:

And mine:

Does this fall under the category of "something is wrong" or am I just being paranoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Gatac posted:

30 seconds at the motherboard's splash? Either your boot delay is set way too high (go into BIOS and change it!) or something's seriously holding up the POST. Maybe a DVD drive that takes seconds to be recognized because it insists on spinning up the disk inside? Either way, an SSD won't help those - what it will do is seriously decrease the time you look at the Windows boot animation, so judge it by that.

Zhentar posted:

Your QD=32 times aren't really any better than QD=1, which means you aren't getting NCQ, which means AHCI isn't enabled. You should do that (instructions are in the OP).

If your motherboard has two drive controllers, you can probably speed up POST time by disabling the RAID controller (which is probably some crappy Marvell controller you don't want to be using anyway).

Factory Factory posted:

Something is wrong, but I don't think it's with the SSD.

First of all, at the BIOS splash screen, the disks aren't being read, SSD included. That 30 second pause is something not-SSD. It's likely beyond the scope of this thread to figure out what it is, though.

Second, do you have AHCI enabled? It looks like you don't, as the high-queue random I/O is nearly identical to the no-queue numbers. Google enabling AHCI in Windows, do that, then enable it in your BIOS and check CDM again. With luck, that should reduce the BIOS wait time, as well, as enumerating IDE drives (including SATA disks running in IDE compatibility mode) takes longer than enumerating AHCI SATA disks.

Thanks, guys. The AHCI thing was my bad; I thought it was set, but it wasn't. Handled that and the results screen looks quite a bit closer now:

However, that's made my boot time even longer, and the longest part is the Windows boot animation. I went through and timed the sequence, starting with the splash screen:

+0:00 Motherboard splash screen appears
+0:26 Splash screen goes away, is replaced by a new AHCI-related screen that looks like it's listing my drives
+0:31 New screen goes away, blank screen
+0:35 "Loading operating system..." This isn't new, but it previously went immediately to "Boot from DVD/CD:" and from there, assuming nothing in the drive, to the boot animation; about two seconds total.
+0:59 "Starting Windows"
+1:43 Boot animation ends, login screen appears

For reference's sake, the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2.

(Also, now every time I boot, xInsIDE.exe crashes, so I need to figure out what runs that and disable it.)

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zhentar posted:

The 0:00-0:26 is POST related stuff... check for BIOS settings relating to memory checks/fast boot, there's probably something you can turn off to speed that up. 0:31-0:59, try taking your CD drive out of the boot order, updating your BIOS, or shaking your fist to the heavens and cursing "drat you Gigabyte!". A good part of the 0:59-1:43 is probably one or more slow to initialize drivers, but I don't know any way to diagnose which ones without using tools that are way beyond the average user.

I'll go through the BIOS again tomorrow; there was nothing I noticed the last time I went through, so if there's a setting in there it's hiding from me. 0:31-0:59 has only been this slow since I turned on AHCI, so I guess I'm reduced to cursing Gigabyte on that one.

Could the 0:59-1:43 delay have anything to do with xInsIDE.exe crashing immediately upon login?

Oddhair posted:

I haven't used many UEFI machines, but I reinstalled an HP desktop (Core i7 860, 8GB) with AHCI enabled to an Intel X-25 80GB drive, and before I started adding stuff to the install like a password prompt it was 15-17 seconds from off to a desktop. Seconding the BIOS holding you up. Did you clone this drive, is it a fresh install?

It's a clone. I don't have the time and didn't have the desire to do a fresh install and then reinstall everything.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

I'll go through the BIOS again tomorrow; there was nothing I noticed the last time I went through, so if there's a setting in there it's hiding from me.

There's nothing in there that I can see that would affect boot time. Latest boot took exactly ten seconds longer than previous, all of that coming during the mobo splash.

Factory Factory posted:

Oh Jesus, JMicron RAID? Yeah, that would introduce impressive delays on boot. Unless you have drives plugged into that controller, turn it off completely in the BIOS. At least see if you can change it to AHCI instead of RAID.

I have two settings that can be RAID, but both are AHCI. PCH SATA Control Mode (can be IDE, RAID(XHD) or AHCI) and Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (can be IDE, AHCI or RAID/IDE).

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Zhentar posted:

Advanced BIOS Features > Quick Boot should be set to enabled.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this was enabled. Though it seems to have slowed the boot if anything.

Zhentar posted:

Integrated Peripherals > Onboard SATA/IDE Device should be set to disabled.

Did this. It knocked the Windows boot animation from 40+ seconds to about 17, so thank you for that. Nothing else changed; was the same ten-seconds-longer splash screen and then the same intervals in between.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tzirean posted:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this was enabled. Though it seems to have slowed the boot if anything.

Did this. It knocked the Windows boot animation from 40+ seconds to about 17, so thank you for that. Nothing else changed; was the same ten-seconds-longer splash screen and then the same intervals in between.

Update: I got my boot time down to ~54 seconds to login screen, ~24 of which is at the motherboard splash screen. The only change I made this time was disabling quick boot. Which is pretty damned counterintuitive.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DNova posted:

your motherboard is a piece of poo poo.

It's certainly possible, given that most motherboards I've owned have been pieces of poo poo. It's a Gigabyte P55M-UD2, and I'd give it a low recommendation but I'm pretty sure it's been discontinued anyway.

DNova posted:

can you disable the splash screen and see if that helps anything? or maybe at least observe what the holdup is?

Didn't affect the time. The only thing that showed up on the screen as "something the motherboard was doing" was memory testing, which appeared about a second and a half before it moved off that screen. I doubt it's the memory, since I replaced the RAM an hour ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DNova posted:

Can you disable the memory test?

I would hope so, but looking through the manual, I don't see how.

DNova posted:

24 seconds of bios splash screen is really ridiculous.

Agreed, even if I'm used to it by now.

• Locked thread