Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Not really sure where to put this so its going in the SSD thread and the Mac Hardware thread.

I have a mid-2009 Macbook Pro with an Intel 320 series 80GB SSD installed. I was running Snow Leopard but then ran into a problem today. When I start up the machine now, I get the gray screen with the flashing folder + question mark. I've tried several methods to fix the startup folder problem but nothing is working.

1. I inserted the snow leopard install disk, hoping to run Disk Utility from the DVD to repair the installation. However the SSD doesn't show up in the drive menu as a installation destination. In the Disk Repair menu, the Intel drive shows up, but it only has an 8MB capacity (?????)

2. I tried connecting to the laptop through my Mac mini via target disk mode. When the connection is made, an error pops up on the Mac mini saying that the drive is not recognized.

3. I've tried removing the SSD from the laptop and connecting to it via USB. This also yields the error of "drive cannot be recognized."

I have no idea what to do and am really afraid this thing is shot. I blew $180 on this thing, I don't want to junk it already.

Help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

redeyes posted:

I would just RMA it. Intel rocks the RMAs so you get a nice new drive instead of a working used one you had to spend time to fix.

This is what I'm gonna do. Thanks for the help everyone. Sucks I lose the data (going go start utilizing Time Machine now) but I don't mind getting a new drive out of the deal.

• Locked thread