Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

movax posted:

I dunno, I thought their RAM was fairly well regarded. I ran all OCZ DDR2 on my older systems, but then again it wasn't any crazy extreme overclocker stuff, like some of the really high-end Crucial Ballistix.

e: ^^ 'sup fellow former [H]tard

The OCZ DDR3 RAM in my laptop lasted all of 9 months before it poo poo the bed last. I'm not an overclock-er at all. I don't hold them in high regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm a week into my Seagate Momentus xt750 hybrid and am noticing the positive effects of the caching. Windows startup and shutdown times are easily half what they were with my WD Scorpio 7200 rpm HDD. I have some pretty intense Excel and Access files and load times are easily half there too.

Why did I choose a hybrid over an SSD?

I really do need 750GB of storage space in my laptop, and need my optical drive to load clients' data. I got a steal on an open-box Momentus from a local mom-and-pop store - $125. If this can last me another 3 years, my next laptop will have an SSD.

I'm happy so far!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I put an M4 256gb in my dad's Dell xps 1645 and it poo poo the bed. I put the factory hdd back in and updated the bios, reinstalled the ssd and it was fine. I blame Dell, not crucial.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm thankful for backups... My 3 month old 512gb M4 just flaked out. Not sure what happened... no blue screens, no warning. I booted up this morning, and I couldn't make it past the Dell logo screen. Popped the old HDD back in and no issues.

I have a ticket open with Crucial, hopefully there's a fix or repair in my future :ohdear:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Alereon posted:

I could be wrong, I remember the Anandtech failure and I thought there was at least one other report of issues. The Samsung 830 did also have a similar pattern of pre-release issues, but was mostly ok at launch, and fine after a firmware update.
Were you on the latest firmware?

Actually I installed the new firmware a couple of nights ago

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Well, it appears the firmware update is what borkd my m4. Is it possible to roll the firmware back, or do I need to swap with Crucial?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Goober Peas posted:

Well, it appears the firmware update is what borkd my m4. Is it possible to roll the firmware back, or do I need to swap with Crucial?

I want to plug the awesomeness of Crucial tech support. Got a guy from Idaho on the line in under 5 min.

Problem was with firmware causing the SSD to not wake up on boot. Tech says he's had a couple of calls daily for the past week on it.

Solution is to power on and leave the system on the bios screen for 20 minutes. Evidently the bios wakes the drive up, which will allow the user to boot the os and roll the firmware back.

Tech said there is no clear correlation with systems experiencing the issue. It's happening on Macs and PCs and various. chipsets.

I'm up and running again!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

000f is the last guaranteed trouble free firmware version for the M4. 010g took about 12 hours before it poo poo the bed on my XPS15. :words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm struggling to use the term "bricked" to describe what I experienced with Crucial and firmware. To me "bricked" means it is dead, a paperweight with no future functionality other than keeping stuff from blowing off my desk.

My experience was more like it quit working, I called for help and within an hour it was working again.

Definitely annoying, but definitely still functional. Is there a standard definition for "bricked"?

• Locked thread