Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I just ordered an Intel 320 (Boxing Day sale on newegg.ca) and I can't wait for that bad boy to arrive. I was worried about having to reinstall my OS, but after paging through the thread it looks like that won't be much of a concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
drat it. I got my SSD installed earlier, and Windows recognizes it, but I've hit a bit of a problem. My boot partition is a fragment of a 1 TB drive (about sixty gigs in size), and the stripped down copy of Acronis that came with the drive only copies entire drives. I looked into Clonezilla, but noticed that there seemed to only be partition to partition and drive to drive cloning options, and I'm hesitant about fiddling with that. Am I misreading that, or will I need to reinstall Windows completely on the SSD, or copy the other boot drive partitions to another hard drive temporarily?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

Set up exactly equivalent (and properly aligned) partitions on the new SSD, then use Clonezilla to copy from partition to partition for all relevant partitions (should be 2 if you use Win7).

Alternatively, you can just make an exactly equivalent system reserved partition (again, Win7, the ~100mb one) and a 2nd partition to fill your SSD. You can then use Clonezilla to copy from partition to partition again but now Windows will live on a bigger partition than before.

Third option would be to just use dd to copy all the blocks until the end of your current Windows partition onto the new SSD. Then you can resize the Windows partition probably without any issues. (this assumes your Windows partition is at the beginning of the drive).

Thanks a lot for the help. SSDs and partition alignments are completely new to me.

I've poked around and discovered that there isn't a System Reserved partition on any of my drives, which apparently isn't unheard-of. Should I make sure to include one, manually?

Similarly, the partition offset on my current Windows partition is 32,256, which seems atypical for a disk partitioned by Windows 7 from what I've read today. That isn't an issue, I hope?

Since my setup seems kind of oddball, and I was intending to use the SSD as one large partition, I think I'm probably best served using dd to copy things over. I'm going to take a wild guess that I should burn a copy of Knoppix or the like to CD, and not use this Windows-equivalent I found on the 'net.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DNova posted:

32,256 is bad. (It is not evenly divisible by 4,096). I don't really know what the deal is with fixing that.

For your linux live distro for this task I would recommend partedmagic or mint. If you're comfortable with dd and gparted you can maybe fix the alignment issue manually.

I ended up following this Lifehacker tutorial for shifting my partition offset. It's probably kludgy, but it worked.

I ended up having to create a MBR on the SSD manually, since the Linux boot disc I made didn't have dd, and the Windows install disc I burned (legally-- I got the OS through MS's student promos, and the cheapasses at Digitalriver only gave me an ISO to play with) kept having trouble. Reassigning drive letters was another adventure, but I got through that too.

Now to copy the little programs I run every boot over onto the new root drive.

Thanks a lot again, DNova. I really appreciate it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My Intel 320 120GB drive runs like lightning from my perspective, but apparently my benchmarks are about half of what they should be:

I've got AHCI enabled in the OS and BIOS, and the drive is hooked up through a SATA 3 connector on the motherboard. The motherboard itself is a GA 770TA-UD3 with 4 GB of RAM and an AMD X3 435 processor, if those might have any bearing on things.

• Locked thread