Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
I'm building a new PC for gaming & general use this summer and initially planned to get a Samsung EVO 250GB for the OS & programs. However, I can get one brand new Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB for less than $20 as part of a summer sale. The OP advises against Kingston drives in general but for that price I'm pretty tempted to get one unless the drive is total poo poo. Yea/nay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Cheers for the replies.

I'm working at a computer store and they're having a promotion wherein employees get to pick one significantly discounted product from a set list. That Kingston SSD for 12€ was the only remotely interesting option for my new rig, and as such I can't really flip it on eBay as reselling is discouraged.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 9, 2014

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

crashdome posted:

Fornication before marriage is also discouraged. To help put things into perspective.

It's mostly a matter of warranty: if I sell it I cannot include the original receipt so when the drive breaks any poor sod who buys the drive is poo poo outta luck. Kingston only has to last ~2-3 years as after that I'll buy a SATA Express SSD and relegate the HyperX to a torrent drive or something equally important.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 9, 2014

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Wilco. Thanks y'all.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

KidDynamite posted:

Is the Samsung 840 EVO series MZ-7TE250BW 250gb a good buy for 140?
That drive is recommended as the go-to choice in the OP and that price is slightly cheaper than as sold on Newegg, so yes.

Z97 ASUS ROG motherboards have a built-in mSATA slot; is there any reason not to buy that version of the Samsung EVO other than a 15€ price difference?

Welmu fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 16, 2014

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Alereon posted:

That's not an mSATA slot, it's an M.2 slot so you can use SSDs that connect over the PCIe lanes.
I should have been more specific: the Gene VII comes with both an M.2 and a mPCIe slot. Will an mSATA SSD work in the latter? Googling only reveals that "an mSATA slot is not necessarily electrically compatible with Mini PCI Express" and the only available manuals from ASUS for that motherboard are in Chinese.

If not, what the hell connects to a mPCIe slot?

Alereon posted:

there's no real reason to get an mSATA drive, though the only downside is lack of compatibility with other systems.
Compatibility isn't a issue since I'll just buy a new rig three years down the line and by that time SATA Express should be widely implemented, doubling transfer speeds. Until then I really, really want to squeeze in an SSD directly onto the motherboard. The looks of my ~~custom plywood case~~ depend upon it!

Welmu fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 17, 2014

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Fiddlesticks.

How bad of an idea would an Intel 530 180GB M.2 -SSD be? It's 70GB smaller than an EVO, a bit pricier and naturally won't work with Samsung Magician, but space isn't really an issue since that drive will only house Windows 8.1 & Steam.

Anyway, still have 2-3 months before I order my rig so maybe Samsung or Intel will release reasonably priced M.2 drives at Computex that aren't limited to SATA speeds. :arghfist::(

Welmu fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 17, 2014

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Tunga posted:

Is there a speed difference between the 120GB and 500GB 840 EVOs? I know that sometimes smaller drivers are slower, but I'm guessing I wouldn't notice the difference in real world use. I'm thinking about grabbing a 120GB so I can get my computer back up and running while my 500GB goes through RMA. Then I can use the smaller one for Windows and the larger one for apps and games. Other than cost, is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

edit: My answer is woefully poor. See below.

Welmu fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 2, 2014

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Intel has released some rather impressive PciExpress SSD drives. Source.

:stare:

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
I really, really hope some consumer-level M.2 drives that support NMVe are released at either Computex or the Global SSD summit in August.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
There's always these:

DDR3 + M.2. I'm sure this will catch on.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

Doomsayer posted:

So I just bought a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB, am I reading that right that when I install Windows 8 I can just only format and partition 80% of the drive and leave the other 20% unpartitioned? That way I don't have to worry about overfilling it?

I mean it sounds like it's unnecessary, but if it's a thing I can do, is there any particular reason not to?
Install Windows to the entire partition. Then install Samsung Magician, enable RAPID & set over-provisioning to 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

BobHoward posted:

XP941 isn't even NVME, it's an AHCI drive. I suspect it's going to take a while for NVME to trickle down to the consumer space.
Samsung announced the M.2 SM951 (which supports NVMe) at their global SSD summit a few weeks ago. It's already shipping to OEMs so hopefully we'll see a consumer version before the end of the year.

• Locked thread