Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
On a modern computer, is there any performance benefit from doing 2x Samsung Evo 250 GB in RAID0 versus a single 500 GB one? Or would one max out the SATA3 6Gbps interface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Alereon posted:

Your motherboard probably can't support TRIM in RAID0, so you wouldn't want to RAID them. If your motherboard DOES support TRIM in RAID0 then I would do that, but keep in mind your chance of data loss is doubled so keep good backups. Also, the goal is to keep at least 20% free at all times.

Don't most mobos 8-series or later support RAID with TRIM? Or was that just some hearsay I heard on some forums?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Am I correct in assuming that the PNY XLR8 Pro works like the Intel 530, where it works well without TRIM or any of that stuff?

I'm trying to think of a good SSD to toss in a PS4, and at the 480 GB level, the PNY is $100 less than the Intel.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Alereon posted:

Yes, though if possible shrink the partition to 400GB or so, I'm not sure how partitioning works on the PS4.

Do Sandforce drives hit a wall of performance at that point? Or are we just trying to create our own huge overprovision (is that even possible) or is it just in the interest of keeping 20% free?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Alereon posted:

Make sure you have the SSD Magician 4.4 software, that was the recent RAPID 2.0 performance update. You need 16GB+ RAM for full benefits, but you'll still see boosts with lower amounts.

Does this mean that going for 32 GB RAM isn't too bad after all?

• Locked thread