Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Anti-Hero posted:

I just cloned my old Intel X25-V 40G to my new 320 120G using the included free version of Acronis and it missed my master boot record. I spent an hour dicking around with it before I had to use my Windows 7 disk to repair the install, and now I have a 100MB "System Reserved" partition I can't get rid of.

I've got a 100Mb system reserved partition after a fresh Win 7 install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I can vouch for the Patriot Wildfire. I think its same same as the Force 3

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
The winslx command didnt work for me- I used a x64 Win7+SP1 integrated install, could that be why? Said something about service pack files not found

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
My own 2cents- Im using the Patriot Wildfire 240Gb, the slightly faster version of the Pyro, and its been rock solid after the latest firmware (like all other SF-2281 drives)

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Yeah look for where its set to IDE, if it has other options like RAID, then the 3rd should be AHCI but it might be named differently like "Enhanced"

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Got a question about a 32Gb thumb stick- it kinda belongs here being flash. Keep getting CRC errors writing to the drive about 1/2 the time. (TeraCopy compares source & destination CRCs)

Any tools to check the disk for bad/expired flash sectors? I tried chkdsk with /r (locate bad sectors) and it didnt help

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I've also received comically wrong sized 2.5" -> 3.5" brackets with SSDs too. One was with a Corsair drive like yours, the other was a Patriot.

I think they just rustle up whatever metal offcuts are sitting around

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

gggiiimmmppp posted:

What's the story on Patriot SSDs? Newegg has a 120 gig patriot SF-2281 for $109 AR: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-20220603-L03C

I've got the 240Gb "Wildfire" version, which is just a slightly faster Pyro. Its great, no issues with the latest firmware 3.3.2. There is quite a difference in speed in synthetic benchmarks comparing Pyro vs Wildfire, but real world is probably negligible.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Its easy to fix that 120Gb partition on a 240Gb disk though- just expand within disk manager. (Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Manager)

The partition offset can be checked in diskpart.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Mr Chips posted:

Use http://staticice.com.au/ to find the cheapest thing in your area.

MSY have the 240GB Sandisk Extreme frives for $248, which is about as good as you're going to get in Australia

I bought this from MSY for a laptop & its been really reliable. Good price too

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
MSY have the Sandisk Ultra & Extreme SSDs. 120GB is $125 or $129. I'm using a 240Gb version which hasnt had any problems. The pricing on the 480Gb is also good, ~$1/Gb

edit: pickup only for MSY as you say

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Are memristors similar to that magnetic core memory type where you would pass a current through different directions of a doughnut shaped core to flip the bit? From memory you could write to those things at whatever clock speed you happened to be using, without any write delays

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Looks like 11.2 was release a few days ago
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3434&DwnldID=21408&keyword=%22rapid+storage%22&lang=eng

Goddamn I hate intels download center. I searched 2 days ago for the 11.1, but only 10.8 came up

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Almost definitely the browser. 14.0.1 sucks, as does the latest 2 versions of flash. I'm getting similar symptoms like really poor embedded video performance since the above updates

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
All of that for Guild Wars 2. (+ a hobby)

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Would the inbuilt Win 7 image backup feature line up the partition offsets correctly when going from HDD->SSD?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Looks like there's a 5.04 firmware out for my Mushkin Chronos 240GB (which was $220 back in like March :(), and I'm on 5.02. Do I bother ripping my iMac apart again to do the update on a PC?

Thats an important update, at least it is on my identical Sandforce Patriot Wildfire. It fixes TRIM not working properly in the 5.01 & 5.02 release.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
One weirde olde tipe from single moms for Steam is to untick "Automatically detect settings" in Control Panel > Internet properties > Connection tab > LAN Settings

Speeds up the internal browser for some reason.

edit: ^^^^ how did I miss that

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Everything being equal to the same round number is a bit sus. I dont think CrystalDiskInfo is reporting correctly

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So I chucked an old Aglity 2 into my HTPC (HP N40L) for the boot drive which uses a SATA <-> SAS enclosure. Will this prevent trim working in anyway, and should I care if not?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Kafka Esq. posted:

I've got a really basic question - why, when I have a brand new 120gb Intel 330 upon which everything is being installed, does my old 5400 RPM drive spin up whenever I try to install something? Literally nothing is on there yet.

The installer is probably checking every attached drive for available disk space

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I notice the Samsung 840 Magician software lets you specify the amount of Gb to set aside for over-provisioning. Is there any point to this if I keep the drive free space high?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

No, it basically just forces you to keep drive free space high. You can have it lower your partition size or manually manage it.

So a full drive sized partition with empty space is the same as a smaller partition with unallocated space, as far as drive self maintenance is concerned?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
How can I change from RAID->AHCI in the bios without bluescreening? I thought a similar registry tweak like IDE->ACHI wouldn't be required.

I'm not using my motherboards RAID BIOS anymore, and I think it might stop trim from reaching the boot SSD

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Its a HP N40L Microserver, which uses the AMD Turion II Neo CPU/chipset. The drive bay uses a SAS to SATA connection, but I'm not using that for the SSD. It's plugged directly into the mobo

edit: I believe the chipset is AMD RS785E/SB820M

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Oh crap, so I changed from AMD RAID->ACHI in the BIOS, and made the required registry tweak & everything boots fine. But now my software Windows 7 RAID-1 disks are showing as uninitialised! I thought being a windows raid it wouldn't care about RAID->AHCI changing.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
They were made with the BIOS set to RAID, but created within Windows 7 Disk management snap in as Dynamic Disks. Just tried one in a USB caddy and same problem. I think they're wiped :(

edit: well this is weird. I went back to an old image of the C drive, before it installed any AHCI drivers at all, returned the BIOS to RAID, and the RAID-1 disks are there intact with all their data. Anyway this is less about SSDs now, and it seems fixed, so I wont give any more updates.

dud root fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 12, 2013

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Does Sandisk have a windows online tool to update firmware? I've created a boot USB with Toolkit a couple of times now & it doesn't work.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Ivy Bridge and Haswell pass through. Sandy Bridge on P67/H67/Z68 will pass through with hacked drivers.

Which hacked drivers? I thought using the latest RST would do the trick

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Where are they meant to slot in price wise? 840 < Evo < 840 Pro ?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Sounds like its made the hidden system partition on the HDD, just because it can. When installing fresh windows I always unplug all other drives beforehand.

There probably is a way to clone over the recovery partition, but I would just install again. Maybe someone else can suggest a way to avoid that

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So this is .. something http://www.tweaktown.com/news/32496/rumortt-intel-could-soon-let-users-overclock-its-ssds/index.html

Sounds like a terrible idea to me, but in reality they will probably just downclock the drives 5% out of the factory

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Should I install both Intel RST drivers & the Samsung Magician software? (Evo on an intel port)

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Pretty sure it has - http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7TE500BW

v4.2.1 adds support for RAPID with the Evo only.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
A couple of times now my laptop with Sandisk Extreme 480Gb has just crawled to a halt. Its like the processor is running at 1/1000th speed- however task manager shows CPU activity at 1%. Eventually I have to do a hold the power button shutdown as it gets slower & slower. Opening a folder takes minutes.

Just now after doing this an entire folder of documents is now empty, where there were files before. Chkdisk /f returns no errors.

This only started when I upgraded from 240 to 480Gb. Its really frustrating because the 480Gb drive is only 3 months old and half empty.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Using R201 and not R211. I could try updating, but I vaguely remember reading it was suggested not to use.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Another unusual point in that Evo review is they measure Windows 7 boot time with RAPID enabled vs disabled. Isnt it a software solution that requires the Magician software to be running? It wouldn't be running during a windows boot

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Thats a sweet average uptime

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Xenomorph posted:

Anyone have SandForce 2281 firmware changelog?

They're up to 5.2.0, at least (August 2013?). I've only seen changelogs up to 5.0.7.

Mushkin provides 5.0.7. SanDisk provides 5.0.4. OWC posted 5.2.0 a few days ago. The big TRIM issue was patched in 5.0.3, I believe, but I still want to make sure I have the most bug-free experience.

Patriot is still at 5.0.2, but you can PM them through the forum and twist their arm for 5.0.4

Is it possible to flash OWC firmware, or whoever has released the latest, to the other manufacturers drives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

You don't want to use non-Sandforce drives in systems of that vintage since TRIM doesn't work reliably if at all, and OSX does not cope well with the resulting inconsistent I/O performance. Use a Sandforce drive and leave at last 20% free space when you partition the drive (so create a ~192GB partition on your 240GB drive).

I think I've asked this before, but is having free space on one giant partition the same as what you've suggested above as far as overprovisioning is concerned?

• Locked thread