Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Never mind, I just read ieatbabies' post. The question about the 100mb boot partition and if I can just copy that too still stands though.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Okay, I just tried to resize my C partition with gparted and it shat itself, said the partition table is corrupt or some such, windows won't boot, and a repair disk can't fix it. Luckily I made a backup image before I did this but how am I supposed to resize it without all hell breaking loose? Should I have defragged it first or something? Just use the windows partition manager next time?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chronos13 posted:

First, I wanna say thanks for the OP. It was immensely helpful in picking an SSD.

I just picked up the crucial M4 128 gb and installed it into my case and connected it via SATA 6gb. My computer detected it and everything and it's reading as 119 gb unallocated space (where the other 9 gb went is beyond me.)

I have read through the entire SSD thread but am yet to see a definitive go-to formatting guide. I would just like to move my windows operating system and games on the SSD in the easiest, most user-friendly method possible. I'm not terribly incompetent with tech but this is my first time building a new rig/formatting drives. Can someone point me to a guide or something?

I'm pretty sure the difference in data is because the capacity on the box is measured with regular decimal metric prefixes, where 1GB equals 1000MB, and on your computer it's measured in binary prefixes, wehre 1GB is 1024MB. So you aren't losing any capacity. Correct me if that's wrong though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zhentar posted:

Well, there are 128 binary gigabytes of flash memory in the drive. The other 9GiB is spare area used for wear leveling, to extend the lifespan of the drive. That said, I'm betting it's not a coincidence that the spare area set aside happens to be pretty much exactly the same as the difference between binary and decimal gigabytes.

Hrm, the internet seems to say that what I thought was correct, but NAND manufacturers stick in some extra anyways to use for wear leveling. Weird.

• Locked thread