Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Kaboobi posted:

My year-ish old Kingston 64GB SSD poo poo itself and went into readonly mode :sigh:
Guess I'll call them up tonight and see if I can get it replaced, anyone have experience calling them up?

If it's still under warranty it should be pretty painless; I used their Web RMA form when my old SSDNow 40GB started flaking out and had a check from them for the purchase price a few days after they received it.

dud root posted:

I've got a 100Mb system reserved partition after a fresh Win 7 install

When I used the Intel cloning tool to migrate a 40GB 320 Series to an 80GB the System Reserved Partition ended up being 197MB :pwn:

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Alereon posted:

SSDs (especially OCZ) seem to fail without any informative errors, so diagnostics seem hard right now. I'd suggest checking for a firmware update and doing a secure erase on the drive and seeing if you have any problems after that.

When my SSDNow 40GB started failing the transfer rates (especially writes) started going all over the place instead of remaining at a constant speed. Not noticeable during general use but it could definitely be seen during benchmarks. Then after about a month it started dropping out of the BIOS and all that jazz. This is a seemingly atypical failure mode but the info might be of use to somebody. I would suggest running CrystalDiskMark or some other benchmark and save the results as soon as you get a new drive, then you have something to compare to if it acts up later. If the speeds don't normalize after a firmware update and secure erase I would start getting concerned.

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 16, 2012

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

LorneReams posted:

I've had no problems living with a 40GB system drive. Even with a couple of game, I'm usually 3/4 full. Granted I'm insane about upkeep and moving things to other drives, but it's been worth that so far.

40GB was fine for me too, until Battlefield 3 came out and it wouldn't fit. 80GB is probably the lowest recommendable size right now.

Also the Intel 320 Series 80GB is on sale right now for $69.99 after MIR.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Is there an easy way to check what firmware I'm running?

CrystalDiskInfo should tell you.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
http://www.mushkingames.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=18391

This might shed some light on it.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
I think you need to change a Windows registry setting if you installed in IDE mode and want to switch to AHCI, otherwise it just bluescreens like you saw.

e; see if this helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

DethMarine21 fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

These are my benchmarks, drive in question is Intel X25-V 40gb:

Those write speeds should be pinned at ~41 MB/s across the board; definitely do that registry change and switch to AHCI.

• Locked thread