Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Just a note about the Intel Rapid Storage Technology:

I installed the drivers on my system in preparation of getting a new SSD. Everything went fine... until I tried connecting an eSATA device. Everything looked fine at first, and the drive performed fine, but the event log soon got filled with error messages from the Intel storage driver about a failed parity check. (I am not using RAID. :iiam:)

These messages are followed shortly by the computer completely freezing, with the fan running on high. I assumed this was a faulty drive, but some quick searching shows other people having a multitude of issues with the Intel drivers and eSATA devices.

In short, if you use an eSATA drive and don't need hardware RAID, I recommend foregoing installing the RST drivers. You'll probably have all the features you need from the default AHCI controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Circuit City just ran out of the Crucial m4s, so they're back to $230 on Amazon. You can still get the 7mm Crucial m4 from TigerDirect for $209, which is only $10 more and with free shipping.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

bootleg robot posted:

Ugh, I snagged this one, but failed to realize that it would not fit in the slim bay of my Lenovo X220. Is it worth it to remove the top of the drive cover (thus voiding the warranty), or spending the extra money to buy a Samsung 830 Series (which has a slim profile)?

Before you do that, you can also purchase a slim Crucial m4 for $245 that should fit in those bays.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Good news: They fixed the Crucial m4 bug. Bad news: It's only for HP customers right now.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Crucial has been pretty terrible with firmwares as of late. There's already a fix for the problem, but they're only releasing it to OEMs, and installing it will void your warranty. Also, I don't even know if they've released the fix for MSATA drives yet. It took them five months to go from the buggy 0009 to 0309, so don't expect them to release anything soon.

Also keep in mind that Crucial is owned by a memory chip manufacturer, not a controller manufacturer, so I doubt they have the best firmware development team.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Also, according to this post, some of the problems are caused by the drive mistaking a shutdown for a faulty power supply and turning off to try to protect itself. That's why leaving the system running for a while usually fixes the problem. I don't understand why they would even bother, since a faulty power supply would probably destroy the drive anyway.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Bwee posted:

What's the current best mSATA SSD? Crucial seems great from a price perspective but everyone's complaining about the firmware problem...

I would wait about a month before buying a Crucial drive. The fixed firmware won't be ready for another two weeks, they've had a record for releasing bad firmware, and there's no "stable" version out for the mSATA drives yet. (The 2.5-inch drives can downgrade to 000F, but not the mSATA.)

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Alereon posted:

I'm really surprised it's taking so long to have decent M.2 options, it seems like companies are taking the time to do it right and deploy new native PCIe controllers rather than just shovel existing SATA600 designs onto new PCBs. On the plus side this means the drives will be much faster, the OEM models look promising for decent consumer drives.

I wonder if PCIe drives could become a thing for desktop users as well. I know enterprise drives already use PCIe to some extent. What are the benefits/drawbacks to it?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Agrajag posted:

So I just finished migrating my OS from my HD to my new Samsung EVO SSD 120Gb, and holy poo poo everything is on ludicrous speed now. I was reading some articles before the install about symbolic links and would you guys recommend me using those and what programs would you recommend me to use for symbolic links?

The only thing I'd link is \Windows\Installer for space. Just use robocopy to move the files and mklink to make the link. You have to remember to move it back before upgrading, or bad things happen. This will also require the hard drive to be spun up frequently, since that folder has shortcut icons in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

BobHoward posted:

Just checked and Samsung's firmware page provides Mac updaters. They're actually ISO images which you must burn to a disc and then boot from (the updater is a DOS program). This obviously is not ideal since you're going to remove the DVD drive.

You might be able to run it anyway by "burning" the ISO to a flash stick or whatever instead of a CD. Using disk utility on a Mac the process is simple, just use the "restore" function to write an image to a device. Might not work, but it's free to try before you buy anything, just download one of Samsung's images and see if you can get it to boot from USB. Long as it can actually boot there's no obvious reason why the firmware update will not work once you have the SSD installed.

The ISO image uses ISOLINUX. You can manually install Syslinux onto a USB drive (bios\<os>\syslinux -m -a <path to USB drive>), copy the files from the CD's isolinux folder to the root of the USB drive, rename isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg, and replace the file memdisk with the one from the Syslinux zip (bios\memdisk\memdisk). That will work just as well as a CD. Note that the updater has a bug where it will say "Update unsuccessful" after flashing, but you just have to hard reset the system and it will have worked.

• Locked thread