Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

It's not reliability issues in the sense of bugs, it's that the NAND burns out way faster than normal, and that's entirely intended (use the junk NAND for a cheap drive). With larger drives, there's just so much NAND that it still last a while regardless - at least, for normal desktop workloads.

It's not that the NAND in the non-Pro 840 is "junk" per se, it's that the 840 Pro uses 2-bit per cell MLC while the non-Pro 840 uses 3-bit per cell TLC NAND. The trade-off is that the non-Pro needs less silicon for a given capacity in exchange for lower endurance and a lower price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

No-one was crazy about Toshiba SSDs either, but they didn't have the awful reputation of OCZ.

Not sure what the point of this venture is.

As far as I can tell, they wanted the Indilinx assets from OCZ.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

BobHoward posted:

This is true, but my impression is that the enthusiast PSU market is actually in trouble thanks to reduced demand for fuckoff ridiculous CF / SLI gaming systems. Same is true of most other specialty "enthusiast" components. The money's in console games and mainstream PCs, and fancier graphics in games cost more to create, so fewer and fewer game developers deliberately target their games at running well only on cutting edge gaming PCs. For quite a while CF/SLI demand was driven mostly by people wanting to play on large and/or multiple monitors, but that's melting away as single GPUs get better and better. Maybe we'll see a return to that pattern as 4K+ monitors get cheap enough to appeal to gamers.

That's why OCZ was desperate to reinvent itself by moving into the then-new SSD market. SSDs have mainstream appeal, it was a chance to break out of the enthusiast niche. Too bad they were apparently run by incompetent jerks who thought the path to glory was doing any shady thing to grab market share, and that lovely products would surely not come back to bite them in the rear end.

(of course, that formula kinda sorta worked for them on RAM and so forth, but I think people get more pissed off by losing data than anything else, and also the mainstream has increased expectations for reliability compared to the overclock-till-it-smokes crowd)

They left the RAM market because the consumer market for performance memory is basically gone. The only reason to get high-performance RAM is if you're a competitive overclocker; the actual performance benefits are virtually nonexistent at this point. This left OCZ to head for greener, higher-margin pastures. Unfortunately, SSDs quickly became a low-margin, commodity market as manufacturers quickly hit the performance limits of the SATA interface and any idiot on the Pacific Rim with a pick-and-place line and a reference design from Sandforce could crank out a perfectly acceptable consumer drive. If you didn't have some secret sauce of your own, you had no way to make any money compared to the vertically integrated manufacturers that had their own fabs, firmware teams, or controller tech. The Indilinx purchase was their last desperate gasp at relevance in the market before the whole thing came crashing down.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Alereon posted:

Don't feel too bad, OCZ was good before they were poo poo and that's why it was such a big deal. Mushkin drives were good for a long time and all the samples I saw had branded Intel NAND, and then one day reviewers started seeing mSATA drives with unbranded NAND chips and I stopped recommending them, but chances are they did the switch in their 2.5" drives first where it was hidden inside the case. That's one of the reasons I try to only recommend drives from the NAND manufacturers, with limited exceptions for low-end drives.

I don't think OCZ was ever really "good" except for a brief window in the DDR2 days. It's more that for a long time their primary market was people who were willing to sacrifice stability to get a couple extra points in their benchmarks and their more credible competition was significantly higher priced. A janky stick of RAM that causes your computer to reboot every other day is more tolerable than an SSD that fails and takes out all of your data.

• Locked thread