Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

the spyder posted:

My Intel 520 240gb is getting full on my laptop. Should I go for a Intel 520 480gb or the Crucial M4 512?

Why not clear up some space first? Start with reducing the size of WinSxS (http://www.iishacks.com/2011/06/23/reduce-windows-7-winsxs-folder-size/) and try using windirstat to find out what's taking all your space. Pagefile, hibernation file, and outlook pst is usually what takes the most space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

2 more OCZ drives died, hooray.

Any 1.8" drives come out somewhat recently? Thinkpad X300 needs a new drive.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Dogen posted:

much like Thermalright products.

You take that back :mad:

They only really do black or silver these days anyways

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I supported them because back then, nobody else made a 1.8" drive that didn't cost a hundred million dollars.

I am stupid and I should feel bad.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Don't forget about OCZ's actual capacity (115 vs 120gb) thing going on, or the switch to 25nm without advertising it as such, or that they didn't even admit to the marvell controller until someone took one of their drives apart and called them on it.

Shady, shady company.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Don't do that, it's not good for your ssd. Use an actual ssd erase program.

Parted magic can do it: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20115106-285/how-to-securely-erase-an-ssd-drive/

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Remember when OCZ was hyping up an affordable phase-change cooling system, the Cryo-Z?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Crucial makes an mSATA c400 drive

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Oops, looks like the C400 is the oem version, and the M4 is the retail version.

Which I can't find either.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

There's more:

http://blog.macsales.com/9438-not-all-ssd%92s-are-created-equal-the-story-continues

And probably the most damning:
http://seekingalpha.com/instablog/890075-copperfield-research/166874-ocz-the-master-of-ssd-shady-suspect-deceitful

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I doubt it's the least reliable. There's always the Solid and the Petrol and the Octane. Not saying the Agility is reliable at all, but

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

It'll sell for far less than the MSRP.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

In today's installment of OCZ being shady fucks, they're using Micron nand, and "Micron wafer packaged by OCZ".

Guess who else uses Micron wafer? That's right, everyone's favorite, Spectek.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Empty your recycle bin. That's one of the events that will start the garbage collection process. Then leave it for a while.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Recommendations for the first post:

- the Kingston hyperx 3k is fine, it's just 3k nand. Which is very common, and not a problem at all; lifespan is technically reduced by 40%, but you'll almost upgrade before you're even close to half of that, since the estimated lifespan is about 8 years for 3k nand as opposed to 13 years for 5k nand when writing 10gb per day. Even the Crucial M4 and Intel 330 use 3k nand.
- Kingston's v200+ is sandforce sf2281 but with async nand. Given the price, also not worth buying.
- Cache drives: Not worth buying.
- Crucial V4: It's a budget sata 3gbps drive that was just released. Probably so Micron can get rid of some nand. It's not worth buying.
- PCI-E ssds: Too expensive for home users, weird compatability issues (some boards will not boot to a pci-e ssd).
- Plextor ssds are excellent, if they're on sale.

- Does the 830 use IMFT ONFI 2.0 Synchronous nand? Pretty sure Samsung makes their own nand and doesn't use Intel Micron Flash Technologies

- TRIM when using ssd's is now possible, provided you have an intel 7-series chipset.

- Also, maybe post some crystal disk mark results of the popular ssds (mushkin, crucial, samsung, intel) in that post so people can see about what speeds they can expect

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The 320 is old. 25nm nand, Intel controller, but also much slower speeds.

The 330 and 520 are almost the same, except the 330 uses 3k nand instead of 5k nand. That's the major difference.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I've looked through dozens of Kingston HyperX 3k reviews, and not a single one shows anything spectek, kingston branded, or anything of that nature. Every single one I've seen is Micron branded nand. The HyperX 3k should be fine.
In fact, the only brand I've ever seen using spectek is OCZ.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Martello posted:

I'm thinking of getting a second SSD to move all my games to, and I was looking at the new Crucial V4 line. Are they good or should I try out the Samsung? I have an M4 as my system disk right now and it works just fine.

No, the V4 is a 3gbps drive. It's slow, and not worth buying.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

There are so many things wrong with that, that I'm not even going to try to begin to tell you.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Got mine, had to wait 3 months, but that's not unexpected with a mail in rebate.

Most rebates are one-per-household though, so those 3 OCZ Vertex 3 120gb drives for $60, will probably end up being more like $60+$80+$80 = $220.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

mik posted:

I wonder how many OCZ drives does it take in an array to ensure a probability of failure = 1?

2?

Real question, sadly OCZ related:

I want to replace the platter HDD in my Mac Mini HTPC with an SSD. I have two SSDs sitting around, an older 120GB Vertex II (no issues when I was using it) and a 160GB Intel 320. Since OS X is TRIM-less, should I put in the Vertex which has better GC? Given that the HTPC streams data off a separate NAS - the drive will sit pretty much empty (and infrequently used) - does that negate the preference for good garbage collection?

Put the intel drive on. The mac mini is a pretty big pain in the rear end to replace drives in.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Best choices are the Intel 330 and the Samsung 830.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

yes

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Ninja Rope posted:

He can go ahead and use them if he really wants, but there's what, a 5-8% chance per drive that the drive will fail?

plus, 2 drives, and most likely in raid 0, so basically a 100% chance of failure

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Another drive to avoid: Kingston SSDNow V300. Uses 19nm nand. Isn't a stellar performer.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Crucial announces M500

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6614/microncrucial-announces-m500-ssd-line-of-ssds

- fast on paper
- 20nm MLC nand
- increase of overprovisioning from 7 to 14.5%
- 7.5mm height.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

Alereon posted:

Newegg also has the Samsung 840 250GB for $179.99 and the Intel SSD 335 240GB for $194.99. The 840 has low-endurance NAND, but that's not really expected to be an issue on 250GB and larger drives. You can find widespread reports of failures on LAMD-based drives via Google, though of course that doesn't prove anything. The bottom line is that you can find fast, proven drives for around the same price as questionable LAMD drives, so why bother taking the risk?

335 has the 19nm nand as well, and given that the 240gb 330 is usually around the same price

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

The Pink Ninja posted:

Speaking of the reliability of Intel SSD 335, I just had one stop working entirely on me and was wondering what the best way to do data recovery or troubleshooting is? I had noticed (and shouldn't have ran with it) that in about 1 in 10 boots it wouldn't register and it would hang at the BIOS screen, but otherwise it was running OK. I tried to boot it this morning and the BIOS doesn't even see it.

Try going into bios, and leaving it there for a few minutes. It might show up. I know it's not a crucial drive, but I've done that with another drive and it's worked afterwards.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

NEW drives to avoid until they mature:

* SanDisk Ultra Plus (would make a decent low-end drive, but isn't usually much cheaper than the other faster drives in the "Good" list above)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

There exists an adaptor that converts from the MBA connector to regular SATA. It costs about $15.

Don't forget that different generation MBAs have different connectors, and the ooooold MBAs are PATA ssds.

Honestly if it's older than 2011 it's not really worth it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

I have a mid 2011 mac mini with a 2.3ghz core i5 (sandy bridge), 8gb ram, hd3000 graphics, and a 128gb Crucial M4. Said M4 is running 0309 firmware, and trim is enabled.

Recently, I upgraded to 10.9 Mavericks, and I've been getting more beachballs (where I had almost none back in 10.8 mountain lion) and random slow performance; could this be because I only have about 5gb free on the drive, or would this be another reason?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

So, about pny..

http://www.tweaktown.com/blogs/Chris_Ramseyer/93/bait-and-switch-the-sad-state-of-ssds/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

For the op rewrite it may make sense to make use of flow charts and huge bold links that go to separate posts.

• Locked thread