Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
edit: issue resolved, for now!

Node fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Is HDClone a trustworthy program for cloning a drive? They have a free version which is really slow, but that is fine by me as long as the cloning process works. Acronis' Trial version doesn't allow drive cloning.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
When trying to clone my drive, I get a Bad Sectors error on my hard drive. I can ignore it and continue the process. chkdsk says I have 4kb in bad sectors. Is this bad? Or will it be safe to use the cloned drive?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Factory Factory posted:

Check the drive with CrystalDiskInfo. If those sectors are Uncorrectable, then there's data corruption, and that will be mirrored on the cloned drive. If they're Reallocated or Pending, you can continue to use the cloned drive without issue. Either way, the old drive has failed and will need to be RMA'd or replaced or tossed out or such.

Current Pending Sector Count does come up as yellow.

But my old drive has failed? Everything appears to be in order, besides the 4kb of bad sectors.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I have a Samsung 830 256Gb, and I ran Crystaldiskmark to see if its running the way it should. So far, compared to what I've seen on web sites, it isn't running the way it should. My sequential read and write is around 260 MB/s. Random 512k is around 220 read 250 write. On benchmark sites, the numbers are almost double that. Did I do something wrong in installation?

Some facts: the drive is 80% full, AHCI is on in the bios, I installed the microsoft AHCI fixit link from the OP (WIndows 7,) trim is enabled, the partition is aligned, and it is using SATA 6GB/s .

Node fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 30, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Alereon posted:

What motherboard do you have? It sounds like you're not REALLY running in SATA600 mode, or the SATA controller drivers may not be installed. Full drives do run a bit slower, though, especially if TRIM isn't working.
That might be the problem. The motherboard is X58 based, the ASUS P6X58D specifically - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131614. It advertises "true" SATA600.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Alereon posted:

That Intel controller is SATA300. There's a supplemental SATA600 controller, but you want to use the Intel one.

Sorry, I'm confused. Talk to me like I'm an idiot. Why do I want to use the Intel one?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Alereon posted:

The SATA600 ports are provided by a Marvell chipset which tends to be slower (aside from the higher peaker transfer rates of SATA600), less reliable, and doesn't support the TRIM command.

You're right, the benchmarks are a bit slower. The sequential read speed is better but thats all. Are you sure about TRIM not being supported? Crystaldiskmark has the word TRIM highlighted, but that might just mean it is enabled, not necessarily working.

Anyways, considering my motherboard, is my drive running as it should be? Thanks for the help.

Node fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Could a little battery that kicks in every few months the drive gets no power, would that extend its data retention significantly? Maybe SSDs already do that.

• Locked thread