Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
FYI, the EVO 840 is on sale for $169.99 right now at NewEgg ($177 and change on Amazon). Technically the deal ended at midnight yesterday, but it worked for me five minutes ago. You'll need coupon code EMCYTZT4593

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

P.N.T.M. posted:

The sled is really good if you go with changing your HDD to a SSD, then running with the HDD in the sled.

That leaves you with two storage drives, and the ability to swap your traditional platter for DVD capability.

I personally have opted for the sled route, and got a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter from eBay. We'll see how well that decision worked in a month or so when it arrives via China Post.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Agrajag posted:

I stopped reading ARS Technica after seeing article after article about buttecoins.

Which are up to $1,000 each now, so..

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I searched the thread, but couldn't find any reference to these Transcend drives:

http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Jet...0WY3Z755WTZPV3D

So what's the consensus? They're highly reviewed on Amazon and are simple enough to install, but not very fast according to one article I found.

(They're all on sale today which is why I'm asking)
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654423

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
I'm toting 1.4 GB/sec with the 840 EVO 250GB which is woefully more pathetic.

Does this mean I'm configured wrong or does this mean that the 1TB has fancier things under the hood?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
8GB RAM, already running Magician 4.4

I'll run the test again and see if it was an outlier.

Ran again, got 2.2 GB/sec. Quit Firefox, got 4.2 GB/sec.

Firefox has been a greedy little bastard as of late (1-2GB commit). Need to work on keeping my tab counts low. Unfortunately JIRA uses a lot of AJAX so I imagine it's not helping my memory footprint much.

ryanbruce fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 1, 2014

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Factory Factory posted:

We've done it, we've found a more obnoxious brand mangling than "MiKKKro$haft." It's...

quote:

$nHell (lol, I know)

For those of us that couldn't even de-idiot that line, its roots may be this:

quote:

Aww, sweet lawd! You just gave me a brilliant idea! How haven't I seen it before? InHell's name actually is $nHell!!!
http://wccftech.com/amd-desktop-processors-ddr4-support-post-bulldozer-architecture-2016-claims-italian-report/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
11.17TB since about the beginning of November. Should I be worried with 1TB/mo in writes? :ohdear:

I guess that's still about 9 years with an assumed life of 100TBW.

So I suppose I'm a good use case for why SSD endurance is just fine(TM). I use this laptop for *everything*. It's my torrent downloading, media serving, Lightroom using, Firefox disk thrashing machine. It's both my work and personal laptop, so this guy runs effectively 24/7.

• Locked thread