Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Autarch Kade posted:

I love having my OS and main applications/games installed to a SSD. It just feels so right for the desktop to appear after booting up, and immediately be able to open an application. The days of sitting waiting for icons to fill up the tray are over, don't think I could go back to regular hard drives.

I bought a SSD for my work laptop, and when they offered to replace my current laptop with a really nice new one, I passed because it didn't have an SSD, and it just wasn't worth taking the time to reinstall everything. No matter how fast all the other components in a computer are, an SSD is the only component that makes everything I typically do on a computer soooo much faster. IT guy at work told me the new ones they are getting in have SSDs now, I told him I am ready for my new laptop :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Factory Factory posted:

You are wrong. They get a bad rap because they tweak the firmware to make the drives 10 MB/s faster but five times as likely to die, and also because of the Vertex 2. They packed it with cheaper NAND so it was cheaper to produce, ran half as fast, and had less usable space (5GB less on a 60GB drive), but sold it under the same SKU for the same price, all without telling anybody about the switch until people benchmarked them and realized something was amiss.

I seem to remember them also doing something shady with RAM several years ago.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah but how many of those 100 games are you never going to play again? Just delete them, you digital hoarder :)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Previa_fun posted:

I might be going SSD soon and I was wondering about defragmentation. Is it like with any other drive? Is it recommended to defrag more often, less often, or not at all for best performance and longevity?

I would suggest reading the OP.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mp5 posted:

This thread also seems to argue that there won't be much space left on a 120 GB disk after installing the OS (Windows 7 64-bit), and I'd like to put at least 3-5 relatively high-capacity games on there in addition to my OS (WoW, Saints Row 3, Skyrim, Rage, whatever's new on Steam, etc). Will space be a concern with the 120 GB based on my stated needs or could I step down to that size to save myself $90-120?

I would stick with the 120GB, anything smaller and you will inevitably be swapping out games. I don't feel like I have very many games installed, and my steam folder is already 54GB (Bad Company 2, BioShock 2, Bulletstorm, L4D2, TF2).

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DNova posted:

People sure do love to defrag.

People also love to post without reading the OP.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ThePriceIsRight posted:

I suppose i'll bite the bullet and fill up my SSD and empty it repeatedly with my steam games. This is the part where I might regret buying OCZ.

Wouldn't you have to do this every day for years before it became an issue?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Reith posted:

Been reading this thread and doing research for a while, and I think I'm finally about ready to get a SSD. I'm about to pull the trigger on this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233211

Any thoughts? Should I get a Force Series 3 instead? It's only $20 cheaper so I don't mind too much.

I got a 120GB Force GT and it has been nothing short of amazing so far. What kind of motherboard do you have?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Alereon posted:

My Windows 7 directory alone is nearly 30GB, which doesn't leave much room, even if you disable Hibernation and shrink the page file.

Why is your Windows 7 directory 30GB?? Mine is 13GB.

Seconding the 120GB recommendation, 64GB is pretty much impossible to get by with if you are going to install a game or two on it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

madsushi posted:

64-bit vs 32-bit has a lot to do with it, a 64-bit install is much larger than a 32-bit install.

e: Also, wow, that command is awesome.

My 64-bit install went from 17.2GB to 13.2GB, sweet!

It had some Error 87 on my 13GB 32-bit install at work, not sure why. I'll google it tomorrow.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Goose Halo posted:

Do you guys recommend the 120GB because you install a lot of games? I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck for my needs.

I can get away with a 64GB SSD (C300) in my work laptop, I usually have about 10GB free. I went for a 120GB (Force GT) in my home PC simply so I could have a couple games installed. The difference in speed I noticed for each upgrade was insane.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 14, 2012

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pixaal posted:

Do SSDs have high shipping standards for RMAs like HDDs? I've talked to a few people who got SSDs shortly after I did and we all got the drive in a standard shipping envelope in the mail. I got mine from Amazon, and my friends were split between newegg and amazon, so it seems to be standard.

The shock resistance of an SSD compared to a hard drive is ridiculous, it doesn't need much packaging material. As long as the outside of the drive doesn't look damaged it's fine. They are lighter too so they can't cause as much damage to themselves.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Are you always supposed to use the Intel Rapid Storage Technology drivers? Or is it only for certain motherboards/SSDs?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Greedish posted:

Why would you put BF3 on an SSD? You still have to wait for everyone else to load after you load super-fast.

Because you get disconnected from EA online like every 10 minutes and it re-joins faster.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

kri kri posted:

Cheers. Wonder why I am not getting instant load times like some people in the KoA thread, hmm.

Probably differences in graphics settings? If you run at a higher resolution with higher texture quality, it has to load more data.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

beze posted:

Ugh, I wish I could find a 30-32 gig ssd on the cheap. Just something to whet my appetite until next month. I've been watching bids on ebay for the last week and a half or so, and people have been paying more for some of these drives used than you can buy new. And I'm not just talking one or two times.

I don't know what is happening next month for you, but it sounds like you should wait. 32GB is pretty drat small, you will be glad you waited!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What's a fair price for a used 64GB C300?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shadowhand00 posted:

Does anyone else buy SSDs for their work laptops so that they no longer have to experience lag during work? Or do I have a sickness? :ohdear:

I bought an SSD for my work laptop with my own money, I can't imagine having to use a computer all day that doesn't have one now.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DarkJC posted:

Mine is properly aligned every way that I've checked, installed windows with AHCI blah blah, and yeah it's consistently been that slow on the writes. I got burned by the lovely "E" and switch to 25nm NAND crap OCZ pulled so I'm not buying from them again, but at least this drive has lasted so far (knock on wood) and is still orders of magnitude faster than anything else I was used to.

Does ANYBODY have anything good to say about OCZ? I feel with the amount of people getting burned by them a warning should be in the title of this thread.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It would be interesting to see a $/GB chart of hard disk drives vs solid state drives over the last 10 years

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Kairos posted:

I run a goddamned assload of tabs (we're talking hundreds here) in Firefox

Dare I ask why?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dreggon posted:

The OP mentions that a SSD doesn't affect video encoding - what about recording (e.g. recording gameplay footage with fraps)? The recording itself would be dependent on the CPU, but it still has to write it to disk. Or is it a non-issue?

It seems like it would help if you are using something like Dxtory.

Also, :lol: at that CDM screenshot above.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fyallm posted:

Would cloning my HD and then putting it on the SSD be my best bet?

I would go with a nice clean Windows 7 installation, getting a new hard drive is the perfect time to start fresh.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AgentJotun posted:

Hey goons, thinking about grabbing an SSD mainly to speed up game loading, but I really can't be bothered re-installing Win 7. Will the SSD drive still help with the performance of games if the OS is still installed on a standard HDD? Or will it be severely hamstrung?

Just do a clean install, it goes so fast with an SSD.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lblitzer posted:

I got a deal on the Vertex 4, fingers crossed this new gen is better than the last...

:lol: why do people keep supporting this company?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

modig posted:

My Mechanical HD took a turn for the worst, and it is too late to pay Amazon for saturday delivery, so I have an SSD showing up monday to revive my desktop. I considered getting one at Best Buy, but I was going to have to pay $200 for 120GB for one in stock at the store.

I hope you had backups and you didn't lose anything important! You will love the performance bump from the SSD. Definitely worth the wait from Amazon, gently caress Best Buy. I paid $200 for my 128GB in January. $260 for my 64GB a year before that.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Glumwheels posted:

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

edit: Also, should I move the page file to the HDD?

No, you want the page file to be on your super fast SSD, not on the slow HDD.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Syrinxx posted:

I moved DOTA2 to my SSD with SteamMover and it's a Valve game :confused:

Was that a bad thing to do? It seems to be working fine.

I think he's just pointing out that even though the program is called SteamMover, you can use it for non-steam games.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wasn't there some debacle about OCZ RAM like 10 years ago too?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mr Chips posted:

Doing pretty much anything on an SSD is awesome (unless it's an OCZ drive)

Using any of those drive usage visualization programs like WinDirStat is pretty awesome as well. Holy gently caress that poo poo took forever on a mechanical hard drive. That hard drive clicking noise is quickly going to become something you don't hear anymore like the dial-up noise.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lowclock posted:

I wish I could just run 7, but it's some old lovely legacy serial port software setup that doesn't work right on anything newer than XP. I've tried.

Could you use a Windows XP virtual machine for the legacy stuff?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That seems really unusual to fail like that twice. Have you tried it on a different motherboard?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Personally, I wouldn't get anything smaller than 64GB, even for a system that I couldn't envision using even that much. 32GB is just so small! Plus you don't want your SSD to be nearly full all the time, for performance reasons.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Bob Morales posted:

Stick it in the freezer?

I thought this trick was only for our clunky mechanical antique hard drives

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

John Lightning posted:

If you have a Fry's near you, you can reserve a 500 GB EVO for $280 on Thursday at Frys.com and pick it up Friday. http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Frys-Electronics/Ad?page=2#viewer

I wish I had $300 as I would get this in a heartbeat.

Oh hell yes! How do you reserve it? Do I actually have to go to Fry's on Friday? It's gonna be a shitshow there :(

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
:lol: at article title: Once-great SSD manufacturer OCZ filing for bankruptcy

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jago posted:

A sensible SSD size is one that does not include your 500GB games folder.

I bought a 500GB SSD to install games on :downs:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

WD40 posted:

EDIT: Does anyone know how secure the transparent HW encryption is on this drive? I work in a hospital and sometimes get emails containing confidential information which I need to take measures to protect. I understand that if you enable it there's a 256 bit AES key generated on the board from a user defined HDD password in the BIOS? Is the implementation of this good?

Are you using outlook or something? Why are the emails being stored on your personal hard drive? (sounds like something that would be against corporate policy)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

WD40 posted:

The policy is kind of crazy. They refuse to allow us to remotely connect with outlook but at the same time acknowledge that we sometimes need to check emails from home. Their solution to this is to say that we can set up forwarding for our accounts to a private email, but on a 'not recommended' basis. I don't get it at all.

Also, sometimes the data is in the form of attachments which I save to my drive.

That is indeed crazy...sounds about right for corporate IT policies I guess. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they probably don't have a web based way to access your email?

Hopefully somebody has something useful to say about the disk encryption, I don't know anything about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nah you should definitely hoard easily redownloadable poo poo on super expensive storage

• Locked thread