Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So thinking about getting a SSD, what's the best/easiest way to transfer Win7 onto it from a bigger HDD? Am I going to need to buy a program or doohickey to do it? Is there a good guide somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Skyrim gets a pretty significant boost from what I've seen/read since you're constantly on the loading screen waiting for the game to load interior/exterior/cave/world textures.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Alereon posted:

It is in the OP though, in the section about cloning data between drives...

The OP could still use a decent "So you bought a SSD, here's how to install/move windows on it" section, even if it's just copying what IEatBabies wrote on the last page and expanding on it a bit. All the data cloning part says is "Yes you can use clone tools, oh and be careful about partition offset." I've built my own computer three times now and am comfortable messing around in the registry, but I've never had multiple drives or moved windows to a different hard drive so all that stuff might as well be written in a moon language to me.

Like others have mentioned most "guides" on the internet out there seem to assume that you already know about partitions and moving/resizing them and are comfortable with doing that, which isn't the case for a lot of people if this thread's anything to go by. Plus it's just kind of weird that the OP has all this good introductory info about what a SSD actually is and includes a bunch of buying tips for beginners but then just kind of assumes that you know what to do with your SSD once you buy it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I'm getting a new SSD to use as a main boot/OS drive, but want to keep my old 500GB non-SSD for general storage. After I install the SSD and get everything sorted with it, do I just reconnect the non-SSD? Will Windows (7) freak out that there's another windows install on it? Will I be able to use it as storage right off the bat, or do I have to do something (format?) to make sure it plays nice with its new SSD master? If ~40GB of music files is all I really care about, should I just back those files up and format the drive anyway to get some extra space from not having a full Win7 install on it?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
How does the performance compare between a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe(240GB) and an 840 EVO (250GB)? I'm a little worried about potential reliability concerns with the EVO, but otherwise they're basically the same price on Amazon. I'm mostly just going to be playing games and doing some light photoshop/premiere work, so I'm not too worried about having the absolute max performance possible. I'm just having a hard time looking up benchmarks for the Mushkin so I don't know if it's supposed to be drastically slower than the 840s.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I ran into a problem while installing my new motherboard, CPU, and SSD where my motherboard won't recognize my SSD, thus not letting me install Win7 on it despite the fact that the drive shows up in the windows installation window. The motherboard detects the CD drive I have plugged into the SATA5 slot just fine, but shows the SATA1 slot as empty. Nothing else is plugged into any SATA slots. From reading the OP, I'm guessing this is the solution:

Alereon posted:

You may have to pre-load AHCI SATA controller drivers on a flash/floppy disk for the operating system installation to recognize your drive.

My question is...how exactly do I go about doing this? I've got a usb flash drive I can use, but I'm not sure what the controller I actually need is, or how I go about pre-loading it.

Motherboard is an MSI Z87-G45 and the SSD is a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Alereon posted:

No if it sees ANY drives then you don't need a driver. Maybe try a different SATA cable, and make sure the cable is secure at both ends (including the drive power cable). If the system won't detect it at ALL though the drive is probably just DOA.

Ended up being a bad cable :doh:

So used to dealing with complicated problems that I forgot to check the basics. Thanks.

• Locked thread