Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Gonna get an 840 EVO 250gb but before I do I want to know if anyone has any good places to get that kind of poo poo internationally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks.. I mean I can buy it here in NZ but the first link on eBay for example was a good $40 Cheaper than the cheapest [according to price website] one available here

I guess im asking, should I fear buying through [a reputable dealer] on eBay? I guess my risk is paying for international postage if something fucks up but for $40
cheaper it'd still probably be cheaper either way

also id keep a ghost style backup on another hd.. what's the cheapest/free backup/ghost thing?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's fuxkin rude. ill check it out when I get home, thanks

it's great that websites like DX.com support cheap but slow as gently caress shipping but amazon etc do "global priority" etc... give me a choice god drat it!!! I want lowest price and if it takes a month or two I don't care. sparkfun actually does this and it's an American company an it's amazing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Facts worth considering.. :) Thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Lord Bude posted:

They do; it's under drives - SSD. Don't know if they'll ship to NZ though, I imagine most stores wont. What's wrong with a NZ computer store?

Price

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just installed a 250gb 840 EVO and it's awesome but a lot of fuckin around trying to get windows to install on it.. turns out it was failing because I had other drives connected to pc while doing it. disconnecting them while install fixed everything. un-awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

dud root posted:

I don't know why to this day windows still insists on dicking around with all connected drives during an install. Even if it didn't, I'd still recommend removing all drives as a precaution.

It's hosed up though, there is zero reason to think to do so. At the very least windows install could give you some kind of clue as to why it was failing. I googled for it etc and was coming up with all sorts of things about MBR vs GPT etc... Also since even from USB it takes a good 10 minutes or so for windows 7 to load files and get ready to install before you can even find out it'll fail.

• Locked thread