Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tunga
May 7, 2004

I have an OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB that I've been using for the last year or so. Could someone who knows what these all mean have a quick glance at this and check that these numbers still look okay?

I don't have any performance issues but just want to see how's it's doing after a year of use. Thanks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

grumperfish posted:

If it's one of the 25nm models it's possible. Could a mis-aligned partition cause low write performance?
I bought mine before the 25nm fiasco so it should be a proper model. I honestly don't rememeber what speeds I got on first install, they were better than those I think but don't know the specifics. Still, it seems to run fine and I'll probably replace it with a 256GB around the end of the year so it'll do for now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

To be clear, that article is a year old, it was linked to demonstrate why we hate them. Whether they've changed their ways is anyone's guess.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Phone posted:

Tunga, judging by the legions of people coming out of the woodwork to defend OCZ, I think everybody is erring on the side of caution by calling OCZ "the worst".
I'm not sure which way to parse your post but just to clarify my posititon, I have a Vertex 2E 128GB which I bought before any of that poo poo went down and it has been perfectly good for me over the last year or so.

Would I recommend OCZ to anyone else? No, of course not, because of the ridiculous poo poo they did and the many reports of bad quality hardware and bad customer service.

All I was really getting at is was the two posts direct;y above mine read as if they thought it was a current article. So, I'm just saying, it isn't. But it's definitely still a reason to dislike and avoid OCZ because there are enough other manufacturers around who have never pulled poo poo like that, it's not really worth the risk.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

DarkJC posted:

Trust me, it's right. My Vertex 2E is exactly the same, and yes I've verified all the standard stuff.
Yep, my Vertex 2E is a little more than a year old and looks exactly the same, it's in this thread somewhere.

Edit:

Tunga posted:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Does anyone know if there is a performance difference between these two:
http://www.ebuyer.com/342458-crucia...6gb-ct256m4ssd1
http://www.ebuyer.com/267107-crucia...b-s-ct256m4ssd2

I'm not actually buying, I'm just interested. I have purchased a couple of M4s in the past and never noticed the slim versions. Why does the fat version exist if it costs more anyway?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

ijyt posted:

Woah, I wish I hadn't seen that. £155 for an M4 is like £30 savings over anywhere else, but I really shouldn't buy one right now.

Holy crap that wasn't on offer when I posted it. gently caress that's tempting. My 120GB Vertex 2 feels so small :/.

Someone said about the 25nm drives going lovely, mine is actually one of the original good Vertex 2s from before they pulled that crap, and it still ended up with those stats after a year. gently caress OCZ basically. Although, to be fair, real world performance is still excellent.

And someone mentioned TRIM. As far as remember, Vertex 2s do not support TRIM, they have their own garbage collection instead.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

movax posted:

A few pages ago as well

Answer your question though, it's via "high" voltage. Pretty clever.
OCZ drives also have this function except the trigger is the power button on your computer.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Poppycoke posted:

I've seen this which would seem to solve my problem but I'd rather not spend that much when it seems all i need is a small cable.

http://hardwrk.com/en/ssd-hdd-adapt...k-pro-pata.html

Can anyone help?
My understanding is that SATA and PATA are not elctrically compatible, so you can't just get a one dollar adapter as you can for the power cables. Having said that, that price is crazy, probably because it includes a DVD enclosure and data transfer cables or something. Startech make this thing which I'd bet you can find on Amazon US or Newegg:

http://www.ebuyer.com/161418-starte...medium=products

Note that you'll need a power separate adapter, but those are cheap and easy to find.

I also have no idea if that thing would fit in your laptop, I've done hardly any work on laptops and none at all on Apple stuff.

Tunga fucked around with this message at May 24, 2012 around 17:41

Tunga
May 7, 2004

It's also not even true that OCZ are cheaper. The Agility 3s are just about cheaper than an m4, and maybe the Petrol or whatever dumb name they gave the recent budget drives. The Vertex/Octanes are always more than an m4, and don't really perform better overall. There really is no good reason to buy an OCZ SSD. Unless US prices are wildly different.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

I have a 120GB Vertex 2 which I'm upgrading to a 256GB m4. The old drive will be donated to my brother (this is a "good" V2 from the early days but I'll make sure he knows the risks). What's the easiest way to do a secure erase on it to restore performance to original levels?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

jwoven posted:

Don't do that, it's not good for your ssd. Use an actual ssd erase program.

Parted magic can do it: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...e-an-ssd-drive/
Right, I'm not concerned about the actual data since it's going to my brother, just a quick format would do in that regard, but I want to restore the performance. This looks like the correct thing, thanks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

When installing Windows I now disconnect (or disable in BIOS) every other drive, to avoid that exact poo poo. Worth noting though: you can fix it with your Windows disk and some console commands that I forget now, should be fairly easy to Google.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Nope someone done hosed up.
On the plus side those are fantastic little drives and if I know Corsair they'll probably let you keep it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm a tad surprised. The read numbers are basically identical to the OCZ Vertex 4 (Indilinx-branded Marvell chip), but 370MB/s advertised sequential write is much lower. With the 1.4RC firmware, I tested a Vertex 4 that easily cleared 400MB/s sequential write.
On the other hand, these aren't made by OCZ.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Apparently you didn't learn to read the thread title though.

Keep the backups running!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Stalkerr posted:

I decided to risk OCZ based on friend-experience with them.

Besides, the only way for me to get an SSD past the budget police was to go cheap. Now that it's proving itself, I can get something decent when this one dies.
Unless your country is wildy different to mine (UK) this makes exactly zero sense because the V3 is not a budget drive. The m4 and Force 3 are cheaper than it,or around the same price. If you had an Agility 3 then I could understand that argument.

Sorry, not trying to poo poo on your parade but I believe you made an objectively bad choice. Hopefully it won't bite you.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

I'm trying to Secure Erase my old Vertex 2 to restore the performance before I give it to someone else. I'm using PartedMagic but I keep getting a message about the Secure State being Frozen. It tells me to go into sleep mode and out to fix it but when I sleep my computer under PartedMagic it just blackscreens on wake and never comes back (numlock is dead). I've tried booting without the drive connected but after reconnecting it the driver doesn't show up until I reboot. I have hotswap enabled. I've tried using the Intel 3GB and 6GB ports on my mobo (Asus P8Z77-V).

Is there an easier to way to do this? An alternative to PartedMagic?

Who'd have thought wiping a drive could be such a convoluted process?

Tunga fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2012 around 15:04

Tunga
May 7, 2004

redeyes posted:

All you have to do is unplug and replug the drive (power) while PartedMagic is booted. I think you need to be in ACHI mode for that to work but it does work.

Well it doesn't work for me. I've tried in AHCI and IDE, hot plug is enabled for that port (even tried enabling it for all ports) in the BIOS, but as soon as I unplug it the drive disappears and won't come back until I reboot. Tried with power and data cables, no difference.

Tunga fucked around with this message at Jun 16, 2012 around 20:58

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Tiger Style posted:

So I already have this SSD picked out for my current build:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004W2JL2A

BUT...I have a buddy that works for Intel that can snag me a 520 series Intel SSD for $205. Is the speed/reliability difference between Crucial/Intel respectively, worth the loss in space? Is the speed difference that noticeable to the point where I'd be better off with Crucial, or is it negligible enough to where I should opt for less space for the reliability factor?

(PS - He's snagging me an i5-3550 CPU for $105 . Just wanted to brag with that bit.)
Personally I would take the m4. The Intel 520 is a Sandforce controller which have had issues in the past, although Intel reportedly did do a crazy amount of validation on it before release. But the m4 has also has no known reliability issues, is cheaper, and has a few extra GB, so I don't see any reason to look beyond it. The performance will be identical for any real world usage.

Tunga fucked around with this message at Jun 19, 2012 around 09:41

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Elysiume posted:

Can you set up Paragon Migrate to just transfer the OS, and maybe 2-3 programs? $20 seems kind of pricey for something I'll probably not use again for years, if ever.
Maybe there is a good reason I'm missing but it doesn't sound like you would be saving much time over just reinstalling Windows.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Jago posted:

They're known to be the least reliable of the SSD's. Have your poo poo backed up and you'll be fine. You can use clonezilla to copy an image from one SSD to another.

Weren't the original Vertexes actually alright? I certainly remember the early V2s were. Let's not forgot that this very thread was recommending V2s back in the day. OCZ have pulled a lot of stupid poo poo and should certainly be avoided in general, but not every single thing they've made has been terrible.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

If I'm building a mITX machine (just office/media use) with a 128GB Samsung 830, should I care about H61 not having SATA III / 6Gbps? Moving to H67/H77 would double the motherboard price but I'd rather not bottleneck the drive.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

I have a 500GB Samsung EVO as my systerm drive and two 3TB WD Reds in RAID1 for storage. Samsung Magician complains that my SSD isn't running in AHCI mode which is correct since obviously the controller is in RAID mode. Is this a thing I should care about? And if so, what do I do about it?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Right, that was my understanding, RAID is just AHCI with RAID support.

Windows reports that TRIM is enabled and performs a manual TRIM ("optimize") on demand just fine.

I'm using an Asus Maximus VI Impact (Z87) so all four SATA ports are on the onboard controller.

Possibly it's just Magician being dumb.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

My 500GB EVO just poo poo the bed. PC froze up three or four times while playing some games, thought it was graphics drivers or something, and then it did it again in Windows and the drive was just totally gone from UEFI. Tried it in another machine and it can't see it either. Seems to be completely dead. It was only six months old. Welp, RMA time.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Is there a speed difference between the 120GB and 500GB 840 EVOs? I know that sometimes smaller drivers are slower, but I'm guessing I wouldn't notice the difference in real world use. I'm thinking about grabbing a 120GB so I can get my computer back up and running while my 500GB goes through RMA. Then I can use the smaller one for Windows and the larger one for apps and games. Other than cost, is there any reason this would be a bad idea?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Alereon posted:

The 120GB model is slower than the others, but as a practical matter it is still a very fast drive. You should use the larger drive as your system drive for the better performance though, you can image back pretty easily using Macrium Reflect Free or another tool.
Hmm, thanks. I see. If I can tell the difference then I'll just sell the 120GB afterwards. Can't think what else I'd do with it. Wondered if I could use it as a cache drive on my 3TB Mirrored Storage Space but the answer to that appears to be that I can't.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Alereon posted:

I would point out that as Bob Morales mentioned 120GB is painfully small for a system drive.
I'm not really seeing that. Windows 8 is like 30GB. I can't imagine I'm going to build up 60GB+ of driver bloat in the the next year or so before I inevitably reinstall Windows for some reason.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Alereon posted:

Remember to account for Windows, the page file, hibernation file, your applications, at least 20% free space to maintain performance, and growth over time. You know best what your storage needs are, but for some reason people tend to think 120GB is a lot more capacity than it actually is.
Apps would all be on the 500GB. I'm literally just going to put Windows on the 120GB, nothing else will be installed on it (except drivers and stuff that has to go on C, obviously).

My aim is that if an SSD dies in future, I'll either lose my apps (but my PC still boots and can be used for basic stuff) or my OS (which is small enough for me to keep a regular backup image on my RAID storage. Rather than what happened this time which is that I lost everything, have to wait for an RMA, and then have to set everything back up again afterwards.

The alternative to this is that I get another 500GB and run them in RAID1 but Storage Spaces doesn't work for boot drives and my previous experience of trying to use hardware RAID support on my mobo resulted in slow boot times and some other concerns.

Tunga fucked around with this message at Jun 2, 2014 around 16:10

Tunga
May 7, 2004

deimos posted:

Or, you know, you could keep regular backups (Crashplan/Backupblaze), a bigger SSD and not worry about dumb poo poo like using RAID for backup.
Unfortunately I have a 4Mb ADSL line so it's impractical. It'd take me months to upload the data and weeks to download it again. Absolutely critical stuff on Google Drive but for media and other storage I have to rely on local redundancy,

Edit: Sorry, this is a stupid derail. I appreciate that what I'm doing is a bit odd.

Tunga fucked around with this message at Jun 2, 2014 around 16:39

Tunga
May 7, 2004

hifi posted:

It just sounds like you are impatient and trying to plan some kind of ridiculous scenario to justify it.
Yes, it's absolutely this. I already ordered the 120GB because it's only 55 and I need my PC running. I guess the question really is just "what should I do with it afterwards?" to which the sensible answer seems to be "sell it". Which is fair enough.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

deimos posted:

Seriously, get a huge external, get crashplan and/or Genie Timeline, be happy.
I found someone to buy the 120GB off me when I'm done with it in a few weeks so I'll just stick with the 500GB and think about backup options that would work for me. Thanks.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Harik posted:

Speaking of 5k, was there ever a postmortem on what the gently caress that bug was? It's not a power-of-two overflow that I can see unless they were counting time in 4.2 millisecond increments or something equally "creative". So some kind of periodic sanity check that went horribly wrong because it was never tested?
It was actually 5184, which is sort of a notable binary number but still doesn't explain why it happened exactly then.

Edit: 5184 in Hex is the number of minutes in a day in Decimal. Coincidence? I think not!

Tunga fucked around with this message at Jun 10, 2014 around 08:21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Usually I get it installed on the correct hard drive and then one month later discover that it put the boot partition somewhere ridiculous.

What do you mean you removed that ZIP drive?

Tunga fucked around with this message at Jun 12, 2014 around 10:45