Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Compared to the Intel 320 series, how does the Samsung 830 compare in reliability?

This is a corporate setting, I am just looking for multiple upgrade paths for our clients where the 128gb SSD's in their X220's are not big enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Factory Factory posted:

"Not enough data to give a real answer" is the real answer.

On the not so concrete front, the 830 has had a firmware patch to fix a BSOD issue link), though it's difficult to put this in context. Samsung historically is quite reliable, as are Marvell-controller and Toshiba-controller drives. And Samsung's 470 and 470-alikes were picked by Apple for their OEM SSD builds, so that's... a thing.

Hmm, I guess I'll just have to order one and give it a go. I prefer to use these since I don't have to monkey around with removing the spacer off the 320's to make it fit 7mm bays. Running out of screws to fit those things.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So I have a laptop arriving today and have read up quite a bit more on the Samsung 830 and the Crucial m4 drives. My laptop does SATA 6Gbps, would you go with the Samsung 830 256GB or the Crucial m4 256GB? The price difference is about $20 in favor of the Crucial (340 vs 360 for the sammy).

What drive would you guys pick?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I went ahead and picked up the 128GB M4, it was cheaper than the 830 and has been around a bit longer so it's been proven.

Now what to do with the 500GB drive in my laptop, I already have another 500GB in an external enclosure.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

pixaal posted:

You sell it or add it as more space as another external or as an internal for your desktop.

Oh I know the options, I just hate having to actually decide what to do. It was like the 830 vs the M4. I knew both were good, but I hate having to decide for myself. If it's for other people I can do it easily. :)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Mu Zeta posted:

Has anyone tried Trim Enabler 2.0 with OSX Lion? It came out a couple weeks ago but I read the previous version hosed things up.

Used it last night, installed the latest updates to OS X and had to run enabler again, but it hasn't caused any problems for me. The Mac Mini is running the Crucial M4, FYI.

Yes, I did just buy another 128GB M4 :) LOVING these SSDs!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

MrBigglesworth posted:

Installed and up and running. Drive came with 304 firmware, AHCI already enabled. Was surprised her laptop has room for a second SATA drive. I want to move her old 5400 to that second bay, I just need to make sure that the BIOS has proper boot order to prevent that drive from booting right?

Anwyay, attached is benches for her system. It has never run this fast. Amazing that an SSD will make your system run faster than when it came from the factory.

Since it's a laptop, it may not have an option for per disk boot order (just something like, check hard disks, cd-rom, etc). The drive marked active should be picked up eventually in the boot order and it will boot from that.

It's not surprising at all that it is faster. The factory shipped it with a slow mechanical drive, you replaced it with a super fast drive. HDD's are the number one cause of people wanting to throw their system out the window.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 27, 2012

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Beaten .. man 130 for 128gb M4 .. ordering another one just because.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Civil posted:

Scored one of the 128GB Crucial drives this morning to throw into my desktop. It's chugging along with a pair of 2TB slow-rear end drives in it, and is constantly grinding. I've disabled the SATA3 controller on my mobo, because I didn't want to see its bios screen when I booted and it didn't matter with super slow platter drives, but now I'll feel bad if I'm not using it to its full advantage.

Looking forward to a massive speed increase on this thing. And I'm glad to see SSD's come down to earth on the prices.

You will love it. I bought one today, I have no clue what I am going to do with it but I couldn't pass up the price on it today. I now will have 3 128GB M4's (desktop, laptop and then this extra one).

I'm sure Ill find a use for it, probably throw VM's on it or something.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Shyfted One posted:

I know this is from a bunch of pages back, but I think I might have the same dilemma. I was looking over the specs of my board and didn't see AHCI mentioned. Pretty sure I have revision 1.0 after looking at my board and the pictures of each on the site.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3305#sp

Just how screwed am I? :ohdear:

From a search of "GA-X58A-UD3R AHCI" it appears that your board has AHCI and you just need to enable it in the BIOS.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Every one of our laptops we image that have SSDs are Bitlocker encrypted and have had zero issues with GC.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My EVO 500GB drive came in today, moving from a 120GB Crucial M4 (still working). I concur that 120GB just isn't enough space for anything more than basic use.

Edit: WOW, this drive is crazy fast. Granted, I do not feel anything different yet over the M4, but in benchmarks with RAPID enabled it just smokes.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 23, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Pryor on Fire posted:

How much faster have SSDs gotten? Like comparing a 840 Evo to my old C300? I think I'll upgrade whenever most of the read benchmarks are about twice as fast, has that happened yet?

I just searched for AS SSD results for the C300, and I can say that the "twice as fast" has been here for awhile. My 500GB EVO without RAPID enabled pushed over 500MB/sec on READ and around 600MB/sec WRITE with AS SSD. With RAPID enabled its close to 950MB/sec write.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

MondayHotDog posted:

Is there a way to do this without some sort of bootable media? I'm trying to use HDDErase.exe but you need to run it from DOS, and I can't for the life of me get my system to boot from USB. I don't have a floppy or CD burner.

Alternatively, is Secure Erase completely necessary? The drive is a 2 month old Sandisk Extreme, and it's never been more than 80% full.

Find an ISO for Parted Magic (Google it, you can still find it free) and it has a secure erase utility. If you don't want to spend a few minutes looking for the free ISO, just pay $5 for the ISO from Parted Magic and be done with it.

Straker posted:

Just checking - if I get a new laptop with a spinner, I can clone it to an SSD, swap the drive with the SSD, rerun WEI and everything will be fine, right?

I just got a y410p and want to use its spinner for storage, but don't want to deal with bullshit OEM restore etc, let alone finding drivers if I wipe and reinstall on my own.

It depends. If the HDD is larger than the SSD, you have to shrink partitions and all that to make it fit on the smaller SSD. If it's smaller than the SSD you can clone it and then expand the partition that contains windows provided there is not another partition after it you want to keep. If there is one after the Windows partition you have to delete it and then expand or create another partition and drive letter. You will also want to check and make sure it is aligned properly once done.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 25, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Straker posted:

I meant in terms of "working right for windows installed on an SSD" :) but thanks. I doubt it'll be artificially bloated so bad it won't clone over to a 250GB SSD if I literally boot once off the factory install.

Cloning doesn't care how many times you've booted into the OS. So either you've misunderstood me, or I've misunderstood what you're wanting to do.

Cloning tools copy partitions (as well as other key things to make the drive actually boot). If you have partition on the existing drive that is larger than the SSD is, you will have to shrink it to fit on a smaller SSD. Unless the clone tool does this automagically, which I doubt it does considering it has no concept of what data you have inside the partition.

So again, unless you're going from a smaller HDD to a larger SSD, it isn't just a simple clone.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Geemer posted:

Macrium Reflect Free does on-the-fly partition resizing to fit them on smaller drives as long as the actual data is smaller than what will fit on the target.
I didn't have to do any partition resizing bullshit when I went from a 750 GB spinner to a 256 GB SSD on my laptop. I just had to tell it to keep the System Reserved partition's size as is, the recovery partition's size as is and to shrink the actual OS partition down to fit.

Again, if the tool you're using is smart enough it will just resize on-the-fly as long as the data in the partition that's being resized is less than the size it will end up as.

I used Macrium to do the clone from my smaller to larger SSD, but there I obviously wouldn't need to use that feature. However, this is very good to know. The last time we had to do this (over a year ago) the tools didn't have these nice features (that I was aware of).

Thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Straker posted:

Neither, I figured you'd know it'd automatically resize is all, but thanks :)

Even if a tool isn't smart enough to move stuff around (i.e. if there's 200GB of crap spread out all over a 1TB drive, fitting it onto a 250GB SSD) many dumb tools can at least clone bigger partitions to smaller partitions if nothing has already gone and poo poo data past what will be the new end of the partition, hence my "not being used much" caveat.

It's been awhile since I worked in the desktop/laptop space that I haven't had a chance to use many of the new cloning tools. Guess that's what happens when you move out of desktop support. Harder to keep up with all the stuff I used to. However, Macrium Reflect is awesome and I will keep that in my bag of tricks since it re-sizes now.

• Locked thread