Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Speedball posted:

edit: ...what the heck is up with the Black Panther cartoon?

They called it a motion comic, which basically means they were too cheap to actually animate it. Motion comics are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Speedball posted:

You know what those "DC Nation" screenshots remind me of?

Bizarro Comics. Anyone remember that?

edit: ...what the heck is up with the Black Panther cartoon?

Ugh. The "animated" comic one? I hate all of the animated comics. I just can't watch them, they all feel so cheap and terrible.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
The Black Panther show/motion comic/whatever is awesome and if you don't like it then you obviously hate black people.

:colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They called it a motion comic, which basically means they were too cheap to actually animate it. Motion comics are terrible.

I like them as a kind of novelty. I think people tend to unfairly compare them to full animation rather than their more obvious, I feel, counterpart: audio books. Now it's not a perfect comparison, but it's an interesting attempt to marry the visual nature of comics with that kind of adaptation for a more passive medium.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I like them as a kind of novelty. I think people tend to unfairly compare them to full animation rather than their more obvious, I feel, counterpart: audio books. Now it's not a perfect comparison, but it's an interesting attempt to marry the visual nature of comics with that kind of adaptation for a more passive medium.
It really depends on the project. Black Panther and Spider-Woman were definitely aiming to be cartoons. The Watchmen one had the trappings of a an audio book with its single narrator. The reason that the audio book comparison doesn't work is that audiobooks do not offer an experience that deviates much from reading a text. The reading experience is different, but the text is maintained. Motion comics take away a lot of what goes into the visual storytelling of a comic. Formatting is removed and the panels no longer have to rely on implied action. It devalues the work of the artist and the work of the book.

An audio book is a valid way of reading a novel. A motion-comic is not a valid way of reading a comic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A lot of audiobooks abridge the texts, though, and there are many that use multiple voices to enhance the experience, trying to be some closer to a radio play. They're both interesting niches, although not really replacements for the originals. Audio books obviously have the edge in being useful for the visually impaired, however.

And I can't hate Spider-Woman for one simple reason. They remembered that Jessica isn't American. Even I'd forgotten that until I heard that English accent the actress had for the part.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 23, 2012

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

krut posted:

The Black Panther show/motion comic/whatever is awesome and if you don't like it then you obviously hate black people.

:colbert:

I literally had the theme song stuck in my head for weeks.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

A lot of audiobooks abridge the texts, though, and there are many that use multiple voices to enhance the experience, trying to be some closer to a radio play.
I'd argue that abridging text isn't inherent to the medium. You can also read an abridged text version of a novel. As far as multiple voices, you most likely hear voices of the character when you read a work as text. Now, I agree that the experience isn't the same as reading a book. There is definitely a translation. The big one is that the narrator/actors are adding definition to the voices of the characters and narrators. Still, the text is the text. The story is being told in the same way, through a sequence of words created by an author. Audio books, at worst, add, but they don't subtract.

Layout and relying on the illusion of motion/action in and between panels is inherently lost in motion comics.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 23, 2012

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Technically, audio books can remove some vocal implications you might add to a character via your own internal reading voice. Inflictions might change, accents you mentally added might not be there, pitches and tones might not match with what you imagined. It alters, at the very least.

Granted, I "read" the Dresden Files series via book during downtimes, AND via audiobook on my way to work over the course of a few months. So I don't have any issues with audiobooks so long as they're not abridged, and you can understand the reader. I'm just saying, they're not inherently going to be the same thing as a book when it comes to a story's feel.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 23, 2012

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
That X-men anime has been ok on the G4 channel so far.

Although maybe I'm just happy see Wolverine slashing and killing enemies rather than getting his claws out, putting them back away and kicking his opponent. Or slashing a conveniently nearby steam pipe to knock out his foe.

And actual blood.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm actually pretty pumped for the DC Nation thing. The amount of new stuff, even if it's just shorts, is cool and a good way to get the most out of a property. I mean, they still have lots of time to fumble the ball and do things like shift around schedules and not air any new episodes for months like they are want to do but I have faith that they'll manage to not gently caress it up too badly.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I'm actually pretty pumped for the DC Nation thing. The amount of new stuff, even if it's just shorts, is cool and a good way to get the most out of a property. I mean, they still have lots of time to fumble the ball and do things like shift around schedules and not air any new episodes for months like they are want to do but I have faith that they'll manage to not gently caress it up too badly.

If Warner Bros/Cartoon Network can actually stop making stupid decisions with the placement of their DC titles, DC Nation could actually be pretty cool.

I'm starting to dig Young Justice as I'm curious what the big pay-off at the end of season 1 will be. The only problem is that it has been over a year since the series premiered and we're not even finished with the second season. Either the production is behind schedule or WB/CN is behind on their meds.

Green Lantern TAS looks amazing. I wasn't on board with the preview clips I saw, but once I sat down for the one-hour premiere, I became hooked. There is some great character development, the writing is fantastic and the simplistic animation didn't bother me as much. This will easily be the crown jewel of DC Nation, depending on how the new CGI Batman and campy Superfriends cartoons turn out.

They could give Marvel a run for their money considering the majority of Marvel animations are severely hit-or-miss. Most of the DC animation actually have brains behind them from the Timm team (Paul Dini, Andrea Romano).

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The Aardman shorts for DC Nation are gonna be the most delightfully adorable thing, and this is just one of them.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
Has there been any news as to whether any of the DC Nation shorts will be available online somewhere? Or maybe released later as a collected thing? They seem like they're going to be a lot of fun if that clip is any indication.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

ElNarez posted:

The Aardman shorts for DC Nation are gonna be the most delightfully adorable thing, and this is just one of them.

I love the Aardmanized DC designs - hope they do some merchandising based on these.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

ElNarez posted:

gently caress, it's DC Creature Comforts!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Kerbtree posted:

gently caress, it's DC Creature Comforts!

Oh my God it is! This could be the greatest thing ever!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
For those who actually like the show, the hiatus for Young Justice apparently has been extended to March.

At this rate, Legend of Korra will air before Young Justice season 2.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yonic Symbolism posted:

For those who actually like the show, the hiatus for Young Justice apparently has been extended to March.

I'm not shocked. Hell, I've just about given up. I'm starting to think Young Justice season 1 is a mass hallucination. Some sort of Candle Cove thing where we all just dreamed it up.

I'm not a network executive, an animator, or anybody involved in TV, but between the recent delays on both Avengers and YJ, I just don't get it.

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Who do I have to sell my soul to to make this happen?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
In 378 days we've had 18 episodes of Young Justice. Weisman must be pissed.

JingleJunction
Jul 24, 2011

It was me!
Watched the first couple episodes of Young Justice and just could not get into it, maybe sometime after the season eventually finishes I'll give it another go. Probably not though.

Also just looked up the theme song for Avengers, and if the show is as good as the theme song is bad then I guess I have to start watching immediately. The character designs don't even look that bad, and I remember first seeing the designs for Spectacular Spider-Man and hating them. And then the show turned out amazing.

I actually like the design for Ultimate Spider-Man in the OP better than Spectacular, but there is still no love lost for that show. By the way, the Ultimate Spider-Man video linked in the OP is removed, what was it?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I tried to watch Avengers since its on Netflix but just couldn't get into it. Didn't help that it takes something like 5 or 6 episodes for them to actually form the Avengers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Different strokes. Not everyone is going to like the Avengers, but it is one of the best Marvel animated series.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

JingleJunction posted:

I actually like the design for Ultimate Spider-Man in the OP better than Spectacular, but there is still no love lost for that show. By the way, the Ultimate Spider-Man video linked in the OP is removed, what was it?

It was the teaser for the series. It shows Spider-man web slinging and talking to Fury, and some other stuff I don't recall.

Turns out there's a new video! This series seems to be a bit more comedic, which I'm down with. Also he has a motorcycle.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Fishylungs posted:

It was the teaser for the series. It shows Spider-man web slinging and talking to Fury, and some other stuff I don't recall.

Turns out there's a new video! This series seems to be a bit more comedic, which I'm down with. Also he has a motorcycle.

That looks ... spectacular.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Nilbop posted:

That looks ... spectacular.

Amazing.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Die Laughing posted:

Amazing.

Sensational.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I wonder if we'll see the motorcycle (Spider-Mobile perhaps?) combined with his powers or webswinging in some way.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Did I see the Avengers Academy in there??

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sanschel posted:

Sensational.

Web of.

poo poo, I messed it up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

Kind of? Looked like White Tiger, Power Man and Iron Fist, which more fits Danny's students than the Academy

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges

E the Shaggy posted:

Excuse me while I dedicate my life to creating and producing an Avengers Academy cartoon.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Shortpacked posted a link to probably the most amazing Batman Beyond related thing that somehow managed to slip past me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1MgL6sLYgc

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

I tried to watch Avengers since its on Netflix but just couldn't get into it. Didn't help that it takes something like 5 or 6 episodes for them to actually form the Avengers.

Well the series does start out with shorts giving the background of all the characters. I also guess that the delay for season 2 is to launch it around the same time as the movie

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

bobkatt013 posted:

Well the series does start out with shorts giving the background of all the characters. I also guess that the delay for season 2 is to launch it around the same time as the movie

The thing is I don't really like any of the marvel Avengers characters very much anyway. And I haven't really seen a story that sells them as a team to me.
There's enough things I want to watch that are not superhero cartoons that I don't really feel the need to acquire another superhero series.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

This is probably the first series I've seen in years, comic or otherwise, that doesn't have Hank Pym as an arrogant, wife-slapping psychopath, or that otherwise focuses on him atoning for being horrible.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Shortpacked posted a link to probably the most amazing Batman Beyond related thing that somehow managed to slip past me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1MgL6sLYgc
The only good thing about this is the dude's bat hair-do, everything else is terrible.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

This is probably the first series I've seen in years, comic or otherwise, that doesn't have Hank Pym as an arrogant, wife-slapping psychopath, or that otherwise focuses on him atoning for being horrible.

He fights for SCIENCE! :science: And that combined with Avengers Academy and Thor:TMA have made him one of my favourites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kurui Reiten posted:

Shooter may have written some great stories but he did serious damage to Hank and Ms. Marvel. Also all the atoning for being horrible should have stopped in Busicks run but no they have to keep on bring it back. In that run h ehad come to terms with his past and put in behind him, and that countinued in Johns run, but it was brought back in Austen's run. Thank you very much Chuck Austen.

• Locked thread