Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

muscles like this? posted:

Just saw a commercial on Cartoon Network stating that the Green Lantern cartoon is starting next Saturday (March 3rd) morning. I liked the preview they showed of it so I'll definitely be checking it out, in a couple of weeks once they get done reshowing the preview/movie in episode format.
I saw a little Green Lantern clip where Kilowog and a Red Lantern are sitting at a table with Hal between them and he says "now shake hands" and they :argh: at each other. I laughed, but I'm not proud of it.

It's too bad I have to work Saturday mornings and don't have a DVR so I'll probably never get to watch any of the shows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a REALLY funny bit in the first episode where Hal and Kilowog are talking to a GL they meet on the frontiers of space. Hal asks the guy about his secret identity and the GL has no idea what he's talking about. So Kilowog starts making fun of the fact that Hal wears a mask so nobody recognizes him in space.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
I just watched an old episode of Justice League Unlimited where Amazo returns.

Luthor: Wherever you're taking me won't be safe enough. But I know just the place
* (Bald) Luthor takes them to a hide out with a barber shop facade *
Iron Guy: Gotta hand it to you, Luthor. NO ONE would think to look for you here

:D

Why the hell isn't there anything as well written as Justice League nowadays :psyduck:

Jason Ray
Mar 26, 2006
Teetotaling Atheist
So what's everyone's opinion on the new movie (Justice Leauge: Doom)?

I thought the voice acting was great but aside from that, meh! I haven't read the source material on this one so I can't judge on that but this one has got to be the worst one so far and that's coming from someone that enjoyed all the other animated movies. It suffers from a lot a tell and no show..especially in scenes when nobody is getting punched in the face....and when they're not getting punched in the face the animation is slow, and limited. There is a scene inpaticular I couldn't stop laughing at where 3 not moving cops smashed together on screen are explaining their situation to green lantern and one just cocks his gun out of nowhere. It looks ridiculous. there are alot of scenes like this.

Cyborg just seems kinda wedged into this movie...but Cyborg has seemed to be kind of wedged everywhere lately so whatever.

There is a great dramatic scene involving Superman that's probably the best part of the movie, you'll know it when you see it.

Some of the fight scenes are good and there are some funny lines here or there but with the quality of the last few films (Batman Year One in paticular.) this one was a real let down.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Doom kind of sucked! And not even holding it against Tower of Babel, which isn't really that hot of a story to begin with. Really you should look at it up against Starcrossed which is basically the gold standard of "JLA betrayed by one of their own." It's it's not even close to as good. The script is clumsy and even as a JLA fight scene delivery vehicle it's not as good as Crisis on Two Earths. There's not even a short! I love the shorts!

And I watched the preview for Superman vs The Elite and what did they do to the Doug Mahnke art oh god everyone looks like Ben 10 characters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jason Ray posted:

So what's everyone's opinion on the new movie (Justice Leauge: Doom)?

I thought the voice acting was great but aside from that, meh! I haven't read the source material on this one so I can't judge on that but this one has got to be the worst one so far and that's coming from someone that enjoyed all the other animated movies. It suffers from a lot a tell and no show..especially in scenes when nobody is getting punched in the face....and when they're not getting punched in the face the animation is slow, and limited. There is a scene inpaticular I couldn't stop laughing at where 3 not moving cops smashed together on screen are explaining their situation to green lantern and one just cocks his gun out of nowhere. It looks ridiculous. there are alot of scenes like this.

Cyborg just seems kinda wedged into this movie...but Cyborg has seemed to be kind of wedged everywhere lately so whatever.

There is a great dramatic scene involving Superman that's probably the best part of the movie, you'll know it when you see it.

Some of the fight scenes are good and there are some funny lines here or there but with the quality of the last few films (Batman Year One in paticular.) this one was a real let down.

I feel the same way, more or less.

It's not a very accurate adaption of Tower of Babel, outside of Batman having contingency plans for JL members going rogue (and said plans were different in this adaption, even for the heroes that were present in the original story) and the outcome of the scene at the end. I'm not opposed to taking liberties with a source material but the way they inserted stuff from Tower of Babel felt lazy and half-assed.

It certainly wasn't the worst thing ever but I can't see myself ever watching it again.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
Has there been any word on whether the shorts on this weeks DC Nation debut will be available online? Maybe on iTunes or Amazon or something? I really want to see the Super Best Friends Forever shorts but don't have cable. :(

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought Doom was pretty terrible and one of the worst animated movies DC has done. The great voice cast just couldn't save it at all.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011
Doom wasn't great, but not quite the jumbled messes that were Superman: Doomsday and Superman/Batman: Apocalypse.

The blu-ray is worth it for the forty-minute documentary on Dwayne McDuffie though. Plus, I liked seeing Wild Cards (one of my favorite episodes from Justice League) in HD.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Here's a new clip from the Ultimate Spidey cartoon that is CRAZY awful.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/02/ultimate-spider-man-nick-fury/

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
That's very corny, but I still did like the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN visual gag. I think one thing I find disappointing is that in the comics, Fury didn't really want to be a mentor. He was just trying to figure out the best way to wrangle Peter. The subtext of their relationship is that Peter ended up looking up to Fury and believing that his mentor is a much better man than he actually is. It's sad that they seem to be adapting one aspect of Ultimate Spider-Man and subtracting what made it interesting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's very corny, but I still did like the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN visual gag. I think one thing I find disappointing is that in the comics, Fury didn't really want to be a mentor. He was just trying to figure out the best way to wrangle Peter. The subtext of their relationship is that Peter ended up looking up to Fury and believing that his mentor is a much better man than he actually is. It's sad that they seem to be adapting one aspect of Ultimate Spider-Man and subtracting what made it interesting.

They're not really adapting Ultimate Spider-Man. That's just the title of the show. The show centers around Peter and a group of other young heroes in training. It's more of a fun team up type show. And it has a lot of visual gags and fourth wall breaking like what we saw there. I didn't think that clip was horrible at all. It was pretty much exactly what I've been expecting of the show.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm aware. They are adapting the relationship between Peter and Fury that is pretty exclusive to Ultimate Spider-Man. From that scene, Fury's depiction and their relationship are pretty boring compared to what it was in the comic.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 3, 2012

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah its pretty unfortunate that as far as I am aware, Disney doesn't own a network that targets the same demographics as ultimate spiderman does. It would have been awesome to just have a straight adaptation of the comic book series.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
The documentary on Dwayne McDuffie made me tear up. I had no idea how incredible he was.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Man that was not the Young Justice episode you wanted to come back from a hiatus into. Just kinda depressing.

Captain Marvel remains the bestest though!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Are they going to do just one DC Nation short per episode?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Was the thing in the briefcase at the end of that episode supposed to be something we would recognise? Looked like part of a very small Starro to me. That was an ok episode, I think Klarion might have the most annoying voice I've ever heard though which made him not getting the poo poo kicked out of him disappointing.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
I need to stop expecting Justice League Unlimited quality writing in Young Justice. :smith:

Oooh the light....oooh a shell, how mysterious. Or at least it would be, if we hadn't forgotten about the stupid arc over the last 4 months of the haiatus.

There's just no characterisation to make any of it interesting.

JLU had some memorable and fantastic infinitely-quotable characters. This just has a lot of people sooshed together with no personality.

i.e.

Lex Luthor: Do you really think you could come here and beat me all by yourself?
Amanda Waller: Well yeah, I did :chord:. But on the off chance I couldn't...
*Justice league appears*

Martian Manhunter: [to Luthor] So much for your image as a benevolent businessman. This is the end of an era.
Lex Luthor: The end of your era, maybe.

Hawkgirl: I'm used to being thanked when I save someone.
Batman: I'm not used to being saved.

The Question: Reaching back to ancient Egypt, there's been a single cabal of powerful individuals directing the course of human history. But the common man prefers to believe they don't exist, which aids their success.
Supergirl: [reading newspaper clippings] Global warming, military upheavals in the third world, actors elected to public office...
Green Arrow: The spread of coffee bars, germs outpacing antibiotics, and boy bands? Come on! Who would gain from all this?
The Question: Who, indeed? :tinfoil:

Green Arrow Hold your horses! No one asked for more help. This whole trip might just prove the kid shouldn't eat nachos before bed.
The Question: Peanut butter sandwiches.
Supergirl: How did y-- what, do you go through my trash?!
The Question: Please... I go through everyone's trash.

Batman: Who are you people?
Amanda Waller: That's a national security matter. And if I were you, I wouldn't probe the situation too closely... rich boy.

Dr. Fate: Solomon Grundy's grave is empty.
Aquaman: Tell me where to find those responsible, then dig more graves.

Solomon Grundy: Grundy thinks he is going away now...
Hawkgirl: No! Just hang on!
Solomon Grundy: Do you think Grundy's soul is waiting for him?
Hawkgirl: Grundy, I don't believe... yes. Yes, it's waiting for you.
Solomon Grundy: Then... Grundy gets his reward. [dies]

:smith:

Superman: Self-help books? You don't seem the type.
Vandal Savage: I read whatever I can find. Anyway, I've got issues, what with my destroying the Earth and all.

Superman: Why are all of you defending Captain Marvel?
Batman: We like him. He's... sunny.

Shayera: Can you even see what you're shooting at?
Vigilante: Nope - just keepin' 'em honest.

Vigilante: Hey, Vix, ain't this supposed to be your territory? Use some of your animal tricks to give us a leg up.
Vixen: What makes you think I know anything about the jungle? I live in a loft in Chelsea.

Amanda Waller: You know better than to dwell on the past.
General Eiling: I'm talking about right now. The Justice League is still the greatest threat to global security.
Amanda Waller: I used to believe that too, but remember; we used to say the same thing about the Soviets. Remember, our enemy is never as evil as we imagine... And maybe we're never quite as good.
General Eiling: Nuts. Don't tell me the bleeding hearts in Congress got to you.
Amanda Waller: I'd eat them alive.

Doctor Polaris: Ahem.
Flash-in-Lex: What?
Doctor Polaris: You gonna wash your hands?
Flash-in-Lex: No! 'Cause I'm evil!

:D

here's what I can remember from the :airquote: characters :airquote: of Young Justice after 19 episodes:

M'Gann: helooooooooooooooo MEeeaghaaaahhhn (all that's missing is the canned laughter)
Superboy: NRRRAAAAARGH! (flips pancakes, looks emo) NRRRAAAAARGH! (switches remote control) NRRRAAAAARGH! (goes wandering about, looks emo)
Kid-Flash: [stock snippy comment #5874]......[stock snippy comment #85214]
Aqua-Lad: [stock stoic comment #1254.b]....[stock stoic comment #12478]
Robin: "whelmed" (...really?)

In fact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PGNHzfqgQ

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 4, 2012

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The YJ cartoon is certainly not even as quoteable as the real YJ comic.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Speedball posted:

Captain Marvel has his moments.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

spikenigma posted:

here's what I can remember from the :airquote: characters :airquote: of Young Justice after 19 episodes:

M'Gann: helooooooooooooooo MEeeaghaaaahhhn (all that's missing is the canned laughter)
Superboy: NRRRAAAAARGH! (flips pancakes, looks emo) NRRRAAAAARGH! (switches remote control) NRRRAAAAARGH! (goes wandering about, looks emo)
Kid-Flash: [stock snippy comment #5874]......[stock snippy comment #85214]
Aqua-Lad: [stock stoic comment #1254.b]....[stock stoic comment #12478]
Robin: "whelmed" (...really?)

One of my favorite images about the show:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

E the Shaggy posted:

Here's a new clip from the Ultimate Spidey cartoon that is CRAZY awful.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/02/ultimate-spider-man-nick-fury/

Nick Fury just totally shattered that dude's spine.

thelaughingman posted:

Captain Marvel has his moments.
I still think this could have been a fantastic Captain Marvel show instead of a mediocre Young Justice show.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The Light has the power to banish all adults from the world, but all they do with it is cover the theft of some Starro bits?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Baron Bifford posted:

The Light has the power to banish all adults from the world, but all they do with it is cover the theft of some Starro bits?

Well they didn't really banish anyone, they just put everyone in another dimension. Either way there was gonna be a Justice League to come kick their rear end sooner or later.

It was an alright episode, but you're gonna make people draw comparisons when Justice League did an episode very similar to it and way better written.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

thebardyspoon posted:

Was the thing in the briefcase at the end of that episode supposed to be something we would recognise? Looked like part of a very small Starro to me. That was an ok episode, I think Klarion might have the most annoying voice I've ever heard though which made him not getting the poo poo kicked out of him disappointing.

Probably not supposed to be recognizable.

And Klarion is supposed to be weird and grating I imagine. He's a horrible demon child.

Speedball posted:

The YJ comic is great to read when you're a kid but it's just too loving goofy now unless you don't mean Peter David's run.

I really enjoy YJ. It hits all the right spots as a superhero cartoon to me even if it doesn't have catchy dialog or the best jokes or something, but I cannot find anyone who finds the same way.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Probably not supposed to be recognizable.

It's the sea creature from Downtime.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Codependent Poster posted:

One of my favorite images about the show:

That's awesome :D

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Baron Bifford posted:

They just told Klarion to create a distraction, and he went overkill with it. Seriously, how many children were in airplanes or ICUs with adult pilots or doctors? It must have been tens of thousands.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well, I'm just baffled that if they have the power to do something as extraordinary as split the Earth into two dimensions, why aren't they already ruling the world? What do they need with a piece of Starro? They already have god-like powers at their disposal.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

The YJ comic is great to read when you're a kid but it's just too loving goofy now unless you don't mean Peter David's run.
The arc where alien invaders challenge YJ to a game of space baseball for the fate of the planet pretty much confirms that it was a kiddie comic.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Toonzone has posted two videos about the DC cartoons.

edit:

Lauren Faust gives some info about Super Best Friends Forever.

edit 2:

And some Baby Superman.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 9, 2012

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
I can't believe there was an entire episode of Batman: Brave and the Bold entirely dedicated to Superdickery.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
How long has Kid Flash's dad been Spike Spiegal?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

spikenigma posted:

Awesome JL quotes.

I just rewatched Wild Cards today, and it seriously makes me sad there was no more DCAU Mark Hamill after that.

Joker: And since every good suspense show needs to have a ticking clock; here's mine!
[22:51 appears on bottom left]
Oh, what were you expecting from me? A round number?

Its just the fact they actually tallied up the airtime until the bombs go off in the plot instead of doing random cut aways just to fit the time remaining to the scene.

Also;

Harley Quinn: People are so scared, it looks like they're even willing to go to Los Angeles.

Edit: Yeah, I should have typed "DCAU Mark Hamill Joker". Flash and Substance had its moments too.

Flash: I'll visit you in the hospital. We'll play darts...the soft kind.
Trickster: :buddy:

oh, and:

Flash: Dude, don't forget to turn yourself in!
Trickster: Got me again, Flash. :cheers:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 11, 2012

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

AlternateNu posted:

I just rewatched Wild Cards today, and it seriously makes me sad there was no more DCAU Mark Hamill after that.

Joker: And since every good suspense show needs to have a ticking clock; here's mine!
[22:51 appears on bottom left]
Oh, what were you expecting from me? A round number?

Its just the fact they actually tallied up the airtime until the bombs go off in the plot instead of doing random cut aways just to fit the time remaining to the scene.

Also;

Harley Quinn: People are so scared, it looks like they're even willing to go to Los Angeles.

Last Joker DCAU role. He was the Trickster (just like he was in the old Flash TV show) in the JLU episode "Flash and Substance."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dr Christmas posted:

Last Joker DCAU role. He was the Trickster (just like he was in the old Flash TV show) in the JLU episode "Flash and Substance."

Forget to take your medicine?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
The closest we'll get to live action Mark Hamill Joker and Harley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwY2jz8ECIw

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I've got to watch Justice League [Unlimited] again.

The best quote in my book is Lex in Flash's body, having pulled Flash's mask off and looked in the mirror to find out his secret identity: "I have no idea who this is." On its own, the line is great, but remember this is shortly after Identity Crisis had just happened in the comics: an enormous and unnecessarily dark and convoluted event revolving around the ethics of mind-wiping villains who've discovered heroes' secret identities, leading up to Infinite Crisis. In the JLU universe it was a complete non-starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

qntm posted:

I've got to watch Justice League [Unlimited] again.

The best quote in my book is Lex in Flash's body, having pulled Flash's mask off and looked in the mirror to find out his secret identity: "I have no idea who this is." On its own, the line is great, but remember this is shortly after Identity Crisis had just happened in the comics: an enormous and unnecessarily dark and convoluted event revolving around the ethics of mind-wiping villains who've discovered heroes' secret identities, leading up to Infinite Crisis. In the JLU universe it was a complete non-starter.

What makes it even funnier is that the person who voices the flash played Lex on Smallville.

• Locked thread