Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah that voice has pretty much been canon for a while now, which makes me wonder why you still find the odd guy on the internet who thinks Batman should sound like a clear-voiced British guy trying to disguise his accent. I think they even gave him that voice in that one cartoon that did a Dark Knight Returns homage.

That wasn't an homage, it was a straight up adaptation of the most famous scene from the book, and Batman was Michael loving Ironside, and I will hunt down Bruce Timm and Andrea Romano to demand explanations if he's not doing it in the full movie version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

They called it a motion comic, which basically means they were too cheap to actually animate it. Motion comics are terrible.

I like them as a kind of novelty. I think people tend to unfairly compare them to full animation rather than their more obvious, I feel, counterpart: audio books. Now it's not a perfect comparison, but it's an interesting attempt to marry the visual nature of comics with that kind of adaptation for a more passive medium.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A lot of audiobooks abridge the texts, though, and there are many that use multiple voices to enhance the experience, trying to be some closer to a radio play. They're both interesting niches, although not really replacements for the originals. Audio books obviously have the edge in being useful for the visually impaired, however.

And I can't hate Spider-Woman for one simple reason. They remembered that Jessica isn't American. Even I'd forgotten that until I heard that English accent the actress had for the part.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 23, 2012

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

E the Shaggy posted:

Did I see the Avengers Academy in there??

Kind of? Looked like White Tiger, Power Man and Iron Fist, which more fits Danny's students than the Academy

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

This is probably the first series I've seen in years, comic or otherwise, that doesn't have Hank Pym as an arrogant, wife-slapping psychopath, or that otherwise focuses on him atoning for being horrible.

He fights for SCIENCE! :science: And that combined with Avengers Academy and Thor:TMA have made him one of my favourites.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Extrano's gay and not white, I think that's against WB by-laws.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's also the Masters of Evil in there. I think the problem is they've put the compiled minisodes as the 'first' episodes, when they were never really intended as such. The actual two part premiere with the breakout and Graviton works much better as an intro to the team. And it has the two great beats for the Hulk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, certainly the one you're excited for was set up in season 1, but didn't we get burned like this before, with fanart passed off as 'stills'?

And :respek: to FutureBoy. You're thinking of Juan Bobillo. That run on She-Hulk (before they relaunched it again) is probably the best the character's ever been done, visually and narratively.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

Not to mention the live-action shows he's had.

Fixed that. Unless you're counting the Japanese tokusatsu thing?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

But this team isn't the New Avengers. It's a bunch of C-Listers. It's Teen Titans with Spider-Man in the place of Robin. And that just don't work.

The pre-Miles run of the actual USM book would seem to disagree, seeing as he was teaming up with Iceman and the Human Torch in this exact set-up and it worked great.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually grabbed the free preview issue Marvel put out (the stills from the show look awful with how they've done it) but I'm surprised how much it really does feel like Ultimate, actually. Aunt May is a cool, modern middle-aged lady who does yoga and other new-agey stuff, MJ's Peter's best friend from childhood and wants to be a journalist, Osborn is the main villain and wants to weaponise the formula that created Spidey and the director of SHIELD offers to train a reckless Spider-Man to be as good as Cap or Iron Man, it's just Fury, not Danvers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Didion posted:

Is it ever explained why someone like Janet Van Dyne can be a part of Avengers while Spidey has to take on the goddamn Hulk to show his prowess? Besides the answer being COMICS! and all?

Because she already had. The Avengers came together because Loki had set the Hulk up in order to distract his brother. Not sure if that was explictly in the Spidey case, but I'd buy the logic of 'we all fought the Hulk, so you have to do it too, if you want in'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

"We all fought the Hulk, collectively, so you have to do it too, but alone. Also, this will never be a condition of membership to the Avengers ever again. Happy Hulk hunting, Spidey!"

Well, Cap wasn't around for that. Maybe he misunderstood. "Gosh, you've all fought the Hulk? Well, that must be the calibre of folks we need. Young man, you need to prove you can pull your weight as much as Miss Van Dyne or Mr Stark....s bodyguard. "

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Young Justice is better when it isn't so drat dark or depressing. Zatanna is a good character and having her paired with Robin is a nice twist, as is the Superboy and Miss Martian pairing.

But there's a reason Captain Marvel is everyone's favorite. It's because he's fun and innocent and bright and not depressed like everyone else in the show.

Just like he is in the comics, right? :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I at least like that they went with the 'day unlike any other' for the narration. I've always loved that wording from the Avengers' origin.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Avengers was, again, really good this week. They're really playing up the Civil War/Secret Invasion aspects of the story. Nice to see some of the Iron Man supporting cast which we haven't seen for some time.

USM was better this week. I really hope they strike more of a balance between Spidey's personal life and superhero life. I know the show was marketed as Spider-Man Team Up/Agent of shield. But still, it just seems off to have a Spider-Man show that relegates Spidey's non-superpowered friends and family to mere cameos.

It's almost like making a Batman show where Alfred and the rest of the Bat-family barely appear! :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Matt Cruea posted:

So Cap-Skrull now has access to the entirety of Stark's tech? Yeesh.

I do like how they seem to be doing spotlight episodes again. And some cute wordplay in this week's.

"There's no rescue for you, Ms Potts..." got a chuckle from me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Literally the only people who are aware of their own initiative are Doom and Fury, and Zemo, especially Zemo Sr, has never been portrayed on their level.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

i like tacos posted:

but Avengers is such a better show. I really hope they don't do that.

I'd be down with a 'New Avengers' series, a la JLU. Have the mansion get blown up, do the big Kree/Skrull war, and all the heroes band together, ending with Stark making his skyscraper into Avengers Tower, and them welcoming a bunch of cameos into the ranks properly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And EMH isn't that serialised. No more so than JLU itself was, where there were long-term arcs, but each episode has it's own story, except for the beginning and the end of the season.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Is Jeph Loeb the reason why Red Hulk shows up in EMH.

Rulk is awesome. :colbert: Except when Loeb writes him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm really not sure how to feel about Ultimate Spider-Man. On one hand, it's loving beautifully animated and honestly kind of creative. On the other hand, the humour gets incredibly obnoxious and I'm not at all sure what they're going for, tonally. It's all over the place, but mostly it just seems like Saved By the Bell with superheroes.

I'd probably be more appreciative if they hadn't cancelled Spectacular Spider-Man, which was a way better show - thus far.

Avengers is really good, though. Even if it looks like the animation took a hit compared to last season. Really glad they brought in Ms. Marvel as a part of the team, she's awesome.

I'm always glad of more Jennifer Hale, and the team did need more estrogen. But I was more impressed with the SWORD stuff, to be honest. It felt a bit like an unpublished Kieron Gillen script in those scenes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also Brand would so punch Gyrich. Repeatedly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I bet the Skrull have a copy of the shield, which was for their agent. The whole energy bracelet thing has to be building to the real Cap appearing with the real thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhinoceraptor posted:

All I am seeing is that Pym is back. :neckbeard:
Ant Man... of the people!

Chaltab posted:

Also, I noticed that the man on the TV News Program is tagged as 'G. Gordon Godfrey'--likely a human form of the Apokaliptian New God 'Glorious Godfrey'.)
Considering that character used that EXACT alias in his most well-known appearance, I think 'likely' is being too cagey.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I did like them going the H4H route, but I do prefer the Aja costume for Danny. I suppose they split the difference between the two shows. USM Iron Fist gets the modern look, while USM Cage uses the code name and wears the yellow superhero suit. EMH Fist dresses like the 70s still, but Cage shaves his head, has a goatee and wears street clothes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Isn't Cross more a Hawkeye villain? His thing being a bargain Bullseye?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus, Disney. A show has to be extraordinary to get past bare minimum numbers for syndication in most cases. Not to mention wasn't EMH begun before Loeb took over the TV division? So it's Yost's baby?

I appreciate wanting the shared universe and brand synergy and all those buzzwords, but this sounds like they're aiming to do the same show with three different casts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's been known that they're doing the film as a two-parter for a while, but still nice to have some images out there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh. Great. Because we needed that kind of development. Next, EMH will have Squirrel Girl eviscerate the Red Skull...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

XboxPants posted:

Holy poo poo my eyes bugged at out at Hulk offering scientific tips to Tony. Goddamn Avengers I hope you guys are watching out for that, smart hulk is not something you want to gently caress with at all. Possible Maestro forshadowing makes me shiver.

I think it was more reminding us that Banner's the foremost nuclear physicist in the world. I'll guess something's going to happen later in the season that de-Hulks him, and he takes Pym's place for an episode or two as the gadget-man he was in the Pak run.

"Maybe you better sit this one out, Br- did you just teleport the Kree to 42?"
"Like it's hard?"

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 8, 2012

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Why did you put Jubilee/Robin III in there? They're both well-known sidekicks to the resident badass hero of their universe.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar posted:

I will give credit to the time skip that at least it doesn't seem like the Connor/Megan breakup is Superboy's fault. That I'm happy about because it'd be too drat cliche. I am definitely into Megan pretty much being a bitch with her powers who seems to have no respect for life.

Getting more and more into EMH. Every time I read something about it being canceled I just want to go sucker punch every exec at Disney.

Those two statements seem kind of at odds. EMH is good, clean Marvel Age-y adventure stories, with the best of what came later for flavour and scope. YJ seems like everything people hate about modern DC, taking light, optimistic characters and settings and making them DARK and GRITTY and REALISTIC. Ms Martian once battled her own darker nature with psychic kittens. I don't think you need to make that character your amoral lobotomy machine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

A lot of the stuff involving her and the white martian heritage comes from story arcs prior to the TV show. Saying that she did very little before the show is wrong, because as I said, she's actually done less since the show started. Which shows how dumb DC can be.

"We're rebooting our comics, we have this TV show that's popular, maybe we can have the lineups match a little? Nah! We'll just put Superboy on the cover for the first issue and not actually have him join the team for a year! Not when we have the breakout character of the century, Solstice!"

Again, this bugs me. Why was it a bad idea to introduce another character of colour, who wasn't super-gritty, and give her a push? If anything, ditching that idea in this sad attempt to recapture the 90s is the problem. And yes, I say this while reading and enjoying Batman and Animal Man, neither of which are exactly light and fluffy, but there's something almost offensive to me about the idea of an optimistic character being so 'unrealistic' that you have to crank the lever 180 to GRRR.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

404GoonNotFound posted:

This would be the end of the first half, right? So there's nothing left but Loeb Country :sigh:

No, there'd be another 5 episodes, unless they're using some strange definition of half that means 'significantly less than half'.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The last few months have been good to Simonson, from a recognition standpoint. USM doing the Throg story, EMH doing Beta Ray Bill, and a number of homages to the Surtur arc, and Gillen doing the same in JIM. (I'm about 4-5 issues behind on that book, but that ending with the single black panel and DOOM was awesome.) And the big Artist's Edition of his Thor work.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That ended... dark.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Balon posted:

Just catching the latest EMH episode and noticed an O'Grady callout. Possible Irredeemable Ant-Man cameo in the future??

e: Is that Lance Reddick as Falcon?

I think they just use existing names if they need to refer to a SHIELD agent by one. Obviously, when they're on camera, they also try to make the designs match too.

And this episode makes a lot of plates in the air, with the Skrull Queen, Surtur and Red Skull all with plots running. And I don't like Bucky's new voice. Sure, Menville would sound weird, but I always figured he'd sound more like Cap, not all Bale-Batman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Revol posted:

If I were the Skrulls and I were invading Earth, the person I would be most concerned about is Nick Fury.

Yes, but you can never be sure the Fury you kidnapped is the real one in the first place, so he's too hard to bodysnatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, if what I've just read is true, and one of Loeb's first calls as head of Marvel Animation/TV, was to redub Spider-Man's appearances in EMH with Bell, when Keaton did it originally, I'm back to hating him, from my usual mild ambivalence.

• Locked thread