Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Technically, audio books can remove some vocal implications you might add to a character via your own internal reading voice. Inflictions might change, accents you mentally added might not be there, pitches and tones might not match with what you imagined. It alters, at the very least.

Granted, I "read" the Dresden Files series via book during downtimes, AND via audiobook on my way to work over the course of a few months. So I don't have any issues with audiobooks so long as they're not abridged, and you can understand the reader. I'm just saying, they're not inherently going to be the same thing as a book when it comes to a story's feel.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

This is probably the first series I've seen in years, comic or otherwise, that doesn't have Hank Pym as an arrogant, wife-slapping psychopath, or that otherwise focuses on him atoning for being horrible.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Well, it's CGI. With 2D animation, you could just draw in, for instance, a massive surfboard that shoots meteors. With CGI, they have to model that entire thing in 3D.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Plus, you know, he's Mogo. He's a loving planet. Does he even have a power ring as we would term it, or does he have something more specialized? He can probably bring a ton more power to bare all in one place, since his battery is likely part of his loving core. He's an Alpha Lantern without all the issues, an entire planet's worth of willpower controlling the most powerful weapon in the universe, and he's used to working on scales most beings can't even comprehend.

Plus, you know, he's Mogo.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Notice they ALWAYS refer to them as "Asgardians". Like, every point where they can. It sounds sort of unnatural.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm enjoying how Miss Martian is being used in YJ. I felt Martian Manhunter is one of the most poorly used characters in the DCU. Everyone loves to gush over Batman and Superman and totally ignore a super-strong shapeshifting mind-reader who could easily eclipse both of them. Martian Manhunter should be the most feared superhero on the planet.

Superman has actually stated that this is true, I believe. Everyone underestimates J'onn, but he's really amazingly powerful. He's even a cool enough guy that he does a lot of superheroing in countries that don't have the League or their own superheroes to pick up the slack; he's famous worldwide, but overshadowed in the USA.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Granted, it might be hard to work in those random Superman scenes without breaking up the story's flow, especially with no payoff in the first half. It's not like they establish all that much anyway. Superman is the boy scout, listens to the President, etc etc etc. Batman isn't. While they may set the tone for later, the movie itself has the added benefit of music, voice work, and editing tricks to do that too.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wouldn't making a heavily watched and liked show and then hiding the anti-life equation in it be the best way to indoctrinate the most viewers though?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Basically, Spectacular Spider-Man is great and it is a horrible shame it got cancelled for that new series.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ReBoot also had the excuse of being set IN a computer, so the fact that everything LOOKED computer generated and odd was perfect for the story. Why does Batman look like someone mashed together BTAS and The Batman's designs and tried to make a 3D model out of it? Because the design is horrible. Why does Bob have weird silver dreadlocks and purple skin and look weird? Because he's in and from a computer!

Stuff like making robots and computer stuff in CG tends to work because the animation style serves the designs.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It's less what the rating lets them get away with, and more what the sponsors let them get away with.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It is also far harder to tweak a rig to get exaggerated expressions and such. You want eyes to pop out and poo poo, you either build that into the rig at the start (and thus better use it often or you've wasted your budget), or it costs extra money to build in later. You can try to cheap your way through it, but it's generally far harder to go off model for effect in 3D than it is in 2D.

This can at times be a good thing; barriers and obstacles can foster creative solutions. Other times, you get shows that just don't care/don't have the budget, and thus have to make do with a very limited toy box.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

What do you think Waller's platform was in the election?

This is Amanda Waller, what makes you think there was an election? All the other choices were probably in convenient accidents at the last second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Until he said "Brainiac", once Sivana appeared I completely expected the explosion to be caused by Billy Batson.

• Locked thread