Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I'm actually pretty pumped for the DC Nation thing. The amount of new stuff, even if it's just shorts, is cool and a good way to get the most out of a property. I mean, they still have lots of time to fumble the ball and do things like shift around schedules and not air any new episodes for months like they are want to do but I have faith that they'll manage to not gently caress it up too badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Shortpacked posted a link to probably the most amazing Batman Beyond related thing that somehow managed to slip past me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1MgL6sLYgc

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Timeless Appeal posted:

Teen Titans GOOOO!.
This whole thing is just so weird. The whole idea of bringing back Teen Titans and doing these little shorts doesn't make any sense at all to me.

I mean, I liked the cartoon but it's been off the air for years now. I don't even think the re-runs got picked up by ABC Family or the Hub or anything.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

muscles like this? posted:

Just saw a commercial on Cartoon Network stating that the Green Lantern cartoon is starting next Saturday (March 3rd) morning. I liked the preview they showed of it so I'll definitely be checking it out, in a couple of weeks once they get done reshowing the preview/movie in episode format.
I saw a little Green Lantern clip where Kilowog and a Red Lantern are sitting at a table with Hal between them and he says "now shake hands" and they :argh: at each other. I laughed, but I'm not proud of it.

It's too bad I have to work Saturday mornings and don't have a DVR so I'll probably never get to watch any of the shows!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Doom kind of sucked! And not even holding it against Tower of Babel, which isn't really that hot of a story to begin with. Really you should look at it up against Starcrossed which is basically the gold standard of "JLA betrayed by one of their own." It's it's not even close to as good. The script is clumsy and even as a JLA fight scene delivery vehicle it's not as good as Crisis on Two Earths. There's not even a short! I love the shorts!

And I watched the preview for Superman vs The Elite and what did they do to the Doug Mahnke art oh god everyone looks like Ben 10 characters.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

thelaughingman posted:

Did any body watch CN this morning.
Does Donna have a Greek accent? That's a nice touch.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I liked it. I mean, it's not very complex but I think it's a fun use of the characters.

I'm glad Adventure Time and Regular Show took off so well and let cartoon network escape from their hell of awful Canadian flash animated monstrosities. I like to think that the DC Nation shorts are a way to groom directors and animation studios for bigger projects, sort of like how the What A Cartoon show did way back when.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I'm making my way back though my Justice League dvds and I had forgotten that the Eclipso episode ends with the Flash throwing a wormhole generator at the sun after running to it on a space road Green Lantern makes.

It's basically the silliest thing I've ever seen.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I'm...uh....not really sure about the newest New Teen Titans DC nation short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdMk68ErfJE

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Is it better than Doom? Is there a short?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

DrPaper posted:

If I recall correctly, they're not going to be doing DC Showcase shorts anymore :(
This is the worst news. The Showcase shorts are all great. Even the kind weak ones, like Catwoman, are still brilliantly directed and animated.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I think the turn around in x-men evolution occurs when they realize that no one like Spyke and he goes away forever.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
It'll probably come out digitally with it's animation budget cut in half. Only 15 dollars on warner brothers' new digital distribution app for android and iOS.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
DC and Cartoon Network and Warner Brothers make me so goddamn mad. They make all these cool DC Nation shorts and then make it so you can ONLY SEE THEM ONCE and ONLY ON SATURDAY MORNINGS.

Why not put them up on your goddamn website? I know you're using them to build an audience for your DC Nation block but some people have poo poo to do on saturday mornings.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
The Judas Contract already has an adaptation. I can't imagine making it a movie would do the material any more justice than the excellent version the TV show did.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Oh my gosh the new Amethyst and Thunder and Lightning DC nation shorts look adoooorrrrable

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Rhyno posted:

Heavy Metal is a comic right? Heavy Metal FAKK 2 counts as comic book animation right?

What a steaming pile of poo poo that was.
I don't know what to tell you dude. That movie being poo poo has been a well documented fact for a long time.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Netflix and Time Warner apparently just inked a deal to bring more Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, and WB Animation to streaming.

This article mentions Green Lantern but I'm going to bet YJ will be along as well. It would be cool if Batman, Superman, and JL all ended up on there too.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
For those who don't want to watch DKR part 2 on iTunes, it's also out on the PSN store.

Still not on Amazon which is how I'd actually like to see it :sigh:

edit: Oh it's on amazon now too but you can't rent it. :goleft:

Mr Wind Up Bird fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 16, 2013

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Maybe they're tweaking a Super Best Friends Forever or Amethyst show. They have to use all those shorts for something, right? Why not to figure out what gets a new series?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
It's apparently going to be animated in CG but it still looks pretty cute from this promo picture. It'll probably just be totally awful but at least they got the voice cast back.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Finally caught up with DKR part 2 now that amazon has it for digital rent. Pretty good! Much better than the last couple animated DC offerings.

I do kind of hope that eventually we get DKSA. I think it might actually work better as a cartoon than a comic.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Do you not want to see Frank Miller's total mental breakdown in hour and a half animated form?

But for what it's worth, I'm of the rare opinion that, obnoxious coloring aside, DKSA is a fine followup to DKR that is too easily dismissed.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I hope someone at Warner Brothers is ashamed of themselves

Bonus: Batmongoose is voiced by Diedrich Bader

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
You guys talking about Teen Titans made me think that it had gotten put on Netflix but it hasn't! You tricked me!

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I went back to revisit Superman TAS a while ago and man there are some really, really lovely episodes. Don't get me wrong, no cartoon is going to bat a thousand but seriously: go back and watch "Superman's Pal" in season 3 if you have the DVDs. It's maybe one of the most poorly animated cartoons I've ever seen.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Endless Mike posted:

Story reasoning was that he was a Marine and pragmatic and energy beams and bubbles get the job done just as well as or better than a boxing glove or whatever.
"YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT ME WITH A BUBBLE?"

"It's a really good bubble."

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Oh hey Teen Titans Go! starts tonight. It looks kind of cheap but it still might be funny.

I'll probably watch it because I have fond memories of the original.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
So yeah, Teen Titans. Not bad. It's not a "superhero" show like YJ or JL or even the original Teen Titans was. It's basically feels like an entire show made up of tumblr gif photosets. But with the jokes there were more hits than misses and all the voice actors did a good job. I dunno it's just weird to see the characters again since it hasn't been on TV or anything since like 2006.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Thinly disguised voice actor jokes

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I got around to watching Superman: Unbound yesterday and it was kind of crummy. Just kind of a lame story that wasn't great in the comics and didn't really need to be told. It was gruesome as hell though. Like, the very first thing you see is some guy getting his eyeball ripped out and I was like "did I rent a Saw cartoon by mistake?"

I did laugh at Lois flipping off Brainiac from inside tiny shrunk Metropolis.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Teen Titans Go basically rules you guys.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
I think a part of what makes it work is that they took a chance and broke out of the mold a little bit, character wise. Robin and Raven especially. It would have been easy to have both of them slip into Marge/Lisa mode where their only function is to be a giant wet blanket for whatever funny thing BB/Cyborg/Starfire might be doing.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
So who's he fighting in the first part? Magpie? Someone even lamer?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Man if you're going to plumb the depths of Batman's rogues looking for a woman villain you should have gone with ORCA THE WHALE WOMAN

Man once you get away from Catwoman, Harley, Poison Ivy, and Talia the quality of his women villains falls off a goddamn cliff. I guess that's kind of a problem every single superhero has though.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Speaking of TT Go: I liked the newest "girls night out" episode even though it continues with the theme that the Teen Titans aren't just bad superheroes, they are actually psychotic and dangerous and pointlessly cruel to each other. But it was fun to see Jinx again and the whole chase scene was pretty fun even for cheaply animated flash.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
Or you could watch JL: Crisis on Two Earths which is basically the exact same story and features both cool Wonder Woman fight scenes AND James Woods as Owlman. Also Batman straight up kills two people but you know whatever.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

ToastyPotato posted:

Wasn't there a Justice League episode as well that told an even more similar story?
Yeah there was the Justice Lords arc which was pretty good too! But that was the evil Superman coming to the "normal" DCU instead of the other way around, I think.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

MonsterEnvy posted:

When did that happen.

Also synopsis for the first 3 episodes of Beware the Batman.

Hunted (July 13th) – Batman stops two vigilantes from taking their revenge over a shady land deal. An aging Alfred hires his replacement: a female bodyguard named Katana.
Secrets (July 20th) – A new female villain, Magpie, kidnaps Batman, who must decipher her multiple personality disorder in order to outsmart her.
Tests (July 27th) – Bruce puts Katana through a series of tests to prove her loyalty; meanwhile Batman battles Anarky.

He tricks Johnny Quick into running so fast he dies and then he leaves Owlman to get blown up. It's not "dropping them off a building" or whatever but they definitely die because of things he does or doesn't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

thelaughingman posted:

Teen titans go continues to go in such odd directions.
It's really a much weirder show than I think I ever could have imagined.

If you aren't watching it, one of the newer episodes was called "Super Robin" and featured a 30 second chicken dance montage and ended with Robin on his deathbed while all his friends mock him for having wasted his life after using superpowers to solve all the world's problems in 3 seconds.

Also this happened:

And one of the earlier episodes (You're Fired) had Detective Chimp in it.

• Locked thread