Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
In 378 days we've had 18 episodes of Young Justice. Weisman must be pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Fishylungs posted:

It was the teaser for the series. It shows Spider-man web slinging and talking to Fury, and some other stuff I don't recall.

Turns out there's a new video! This series seems to be a bit more comedic, which I'm down with. Also he has a motorcycle.

That looks ... spectacular.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

Teen Titans GOOOO!.

Pretty much everyone who had anything to do with this show went on to try and recreate it in some way after it ended, it's pretty amazing.

I'm pretty happy it's coming back. It made Starfire and Raven two of the most interesting characters comics gave the masses, and made Robin cool.

Like, made Robin cool. This show deserved more props than it got.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Baron Bifford posted:

Yeah, but that image is kind of forced, isn't it? Superman has been using the no-kill code for so long that we want it stay more out of a sense of conservatism than a genuine disdain for killing. Like I said, if Superman had started out as a movie character rather than a serial fiction character, he would probably have been a killer and we would have accepted this with no qualms.

The character is unwilling to kill because he sees a chance to redeem everybody, no matter how foul the person. This is why he is such a great foil for villains like Darksei, and why we cheer for him. Apart from this, Whatever Happened ... was a response to the extreme trends of comic books in the nineties in the same vein that Kingdom Come was, it was not a discussion in a bubble about why Superman wouldn't kill although it stood as a good arguement for that. If your arguement is that you've discovered you don't mind killing in literature if it gets the job done then all I can say is welcome to the wonderful world of post-secondary education literature. There are plenty of characters out there who kill (drat all in American comics worth a drat though, though the reason for this isn't "conservatism", whatever that means) but saying that Superman should be blowing away baddies because it'd solve his problems quicker is missing the entire point of the character.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Holy poo poo. There is one that I am really excited for.

Luke Cage is one thing but ahahaha Winter Soldier holy poo poo.

And is that the girl from Secret War? I can't remember her name.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

He's just an endlessly transplantable character that's really, really hard to get wrong.

Counter with Superman, who should be as bankable but who people get wrong all the time. Superman Returns, for example.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet he was awesome on Justice League, JL, and Superman TAS.

All overseen by the same dude.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

The Punisher is probably the easiest concept in comics and yet no media outside of comics can ever get him right.

That's because it's a concept that's been endlessly trod before someone dreamed up The Punisher.

Well poo poo he's out for revenge.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Pretty much the only dude I'm constantly looking for who hasn't shown up is Sentry, but I'm getting the message by now that they've decided not to do him.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Lobok posted:

Why, though? These aren't truisms.

Spider-Man has a long track record of teaming up. New Avengers is seven years old. And "street level" is a nebulous term that only tries to describe the historical scope of Spider-Man stories and not any potential.

Street-level pretty much means "If Daredevil can beat them up."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

So, after the end of this week's Young Justice they did a short thing about what was going to be next week's DC Nation shorts and it looks like one of them is going to be Animal Man based.

Man it ain't gonna be what you want it to be. You know it, I know it. Let's just all ... ahhhh drat :smith:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

demolition rickshaw posted:

Never seemed to be an issue before!

I won't lie - I always, always thought it was dumb that an immortal god would be chilling with these guys. I'm sorry, there's just no way around it. Even using the ever-popular D&D definition of god where they're just levelled-up immortal heroes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Also, Asgardians are not immortal

I knew this was going to come up but damnit as far as fictional long-lived races go they are immortal as far as the humans are concerned.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Binaroid posted:

DC One Million and Titans: Scissors, Paper, Stone; they used Derrick Wyatt's redesigns of the characters.

You know it's an American media when they use the word lass to formally describe somebody and nobody is shown to feel really, really awkward about it like when the pilot accidentally calls out the wrong destination on an airline.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

i like tacos posted:

About this week's EMH. Was the head lady of S.W.O.R.D. a Skrull? She said she wasn't human but I don't know anything about S.W.O.R.D. so I don't know.

I haven't seen the episode yet but if the holder of that position is still Agent Brand aka Green-Hair-And-Glasses then she's a human/alien hybrid, but not a skrull.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Oh. Great. Because we needed that kind of development. Next, EMH will have Squirrel Girl eviscerate the Red Skull...

Who honestly gives a drat about the Red Skull.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'd really love one show to deal with all the crazy resets from the comics.

IM: Oh you don't think we're a big deal? Who do you think took down Thanos when he destroyed half the universe?
SL: Thanos?
IM: Oh right, right. Well, remember when Krona merged this universe with another in order to discover-
SL: Who?
IM: Damnit! You've got to remember when The Beyonder - actually you know what, gently caress it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I can't believe the next Avengers episode is the Red Hulk. Because you know, that was a story that just has to be told.

I suppose at least they have carte blanche to redraft the entire story beyond "it's Ross" because there is no loving story in there anyway. Also has Ross been mentioned in this series yet? He didn't appear in Gamma World, did he?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Hulk standing by his bud Hawkeye was the highlight of that episode for me, and I don't really know why.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

Hank is a pretty good character, though I'm a bit disappointed he seems to be the only one suffering due to Ultron guilt. Yes, "OMG my brain patterns!", but before everyone else forced Hank to teach it violence, Ultron was completely obedient and never even harmed the prisoners it was guarding.

Hank's teammates:

rear end in a top hat billionaire
rear end in a top hat skrull
Norse God
Hulk
Idiot Perky Girl

He may have been the only one involved with the capacity or sense to feel guilty. I don't think T'Challa had a hand in it, being the most level-headed one there, and Hawkeye would probably never show if he was feeling guilty anyway.

I do kinda expect Tony to hit the "soda" pretty hard sometime though.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Chaltab posted:

If New York can be the home of the vast majority of Marvel superheroes, I don't think a few extra Newspapers are that much of a problem.

If you ask me all these newspapers are becoming a drat menace!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

RevKrule posted:

Teen Titans is coming back as Teen Titans Go with the original cast next year.

http://toynewsi.com/index.php?itemid=18781

That's pretty cool. I guess the shorts were popular.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

I hope this means they've finally stopped being so anal about different versions of the same character appearing on multiple shows.

Robin is like Death from Discworld, he's been in every season of everything in some way or another.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

E the Shaggy posted:

Kind of a nitpick, but why did Skrull-Cap decide to change the Captain America costume while he was impersonating him? That was never really explained.

I took it as a clue-in to the audience that something was up here, and make it easier to animate the inevitable beat-down without it being confusing.

Note: I have note seen any episodes since they stopped screening in the US so there might be a better reason.

Also Note: Ms Marvel is boss in this. The voice works wonderfully. I wish she'd fill in full-time as the strong female lead Wasp (whom I like) so completely isn't.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Reading up on the upcoming episodes on Wikipedia, it seems pretty unbelievable, but unless it's dealt with in an episode that doesn't mention it at all the entire Surtr plotline has been dropped. It doesn't appear at all and episode 52 is now up and listed.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I hope so. I really want to see this show get a third and fourth season.

You're not alone but I'm setting my expectations to disappointed at this stage. I would've loved for season 4 to end with Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet or some big foofaraw but alas.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

That promo art just looks like a comic panel. I doubt it'll look anything like that, because if it did it'd look horrid animated.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Chaltab posted:

That explains a lot.

He was booted off it, too. Like, he was booted off season 4 Heroes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

This season was somewhat disapointing, maybe because they had to rush it, but the pace they presented a new big villain was ridiculous; like with Purple Man and the consequences of what he did were huge but it was all in one episode, so by the next its like nothing happened.
Also what happened with Surt?

AFAIK not mentioned after the not-aired-in-the-US-yet Loki/Destroyer episode they for some reason felt the need to do. As someone mentioned before, he was to be a major villain for the next season. Which kinda sucks because a) Surtr sucks and b) Enchantress is overplayed. Just use Dormammu.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

This is honestly getting me down guys :smith:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Gay Polymers posted:

Hank Pym is actually that crazy.

I love how you can see his obvious turn back towards the team manifest itself when he see's violence as a necessary evil to save Lang's daughter, but in the very next episode he's in he's suddenly living in a messy lab making a redundant prison (because he's lost it man!) before blowing himself up and fake-killing villains and he's just now so loving crazy!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I will never believe that anything without a mustache is General Ross.

Conversely, every villain with a mustache is potentially General Ross.

Although the only ones I can think of are Dinosaur Neil from The Tick and Zero from King Of Fighters 2000.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

GOOD NEWS GUYS! Earth's Mightiest Heroes isn't actually ending. The new Avengers show is actually going to be a continuation that is bringing it more in line with the movie universe. So, don't worry, it's not really over. It's just going to be awful now.

That explains why they redesigned Fury.

Link.

Joey Q looks so goddamn haggard there, Jesus Christ.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I can not wait for the first episode will have the blob eating Wasp.

Episode 1 cliffhanger:

"Oh Pietro we shouldn't"

Episode 2 Scene 1:

"--Oh my God, Dad!!!"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Dacap posted:

Nick Fury has a secret half-black bastard son who coincidentally loses the exact same eye as his father and decides to start calling himself "Nick" because he finds out that's the name on his birth certificate despite going his entire life being called Marcus. Also his best friend is Agent Coulson. Yes it's as hackneyed as it sounds, don't read Battle Scars.

Because Coulson is obviously the breakout character in the movies, I'm sure every kid watching it has memorized his name and is frantically looking through the funny pages to find that dead guy who died in that movie.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Lobok posted:

The way people were freaking out they were expecting crazy crossover titles like Duck Tales to Astonish, Fantasia Four, or Alice in Savage Land.

Fantasia Four would blow your mind wide loving open.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Funny thing is that Marvel said he had to die. It was not Whedon who decided that.

Either way the death makes perfect sense for the reasoning used in the film. And I guess it also means that Marvel is double-dumb for pushing the guy in the books after they ordered his death in the movie?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Monaghan posted:

I am 99% certain that agent of smash will be terrible and a ratings disaster.

Starring Hulk, aka the Muscle!
Red Hulk, aka the Muscle!
Blue Fish-Hulk, aka the Muscle!
Son-of-Hulk, aka the Muscle!
and She-Hulk, who will always be shot with her chest in the frame.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Get in line, I want my Gargoyles vs X-Men mini first.

"We're here for Eliza."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

The second half of season 2 is nigh-unwatchable. You would think the episode with Spider-man would be a highpoint but it's the dullest thing ever. It's such a shame considering how strongly the season began and how good the first season was.

• Locked thread