Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

EDIT: Also, I never played Enslaved but I thought people sort of liked it? Like the gameplay was more shallow than a DMC game but I seem to remember it being well-received on SA after it came out.

Calling Enslaved shallow is like saying "water is a little wet." It was a platformer where you literally were not allowed to fail a jump for 90% of the game. It was rather pretty and had very good motion capture but the gameplay was generally met with a "meh" at best.

Enslaved honestly is the reason I really have no faith in NT. A developer who thinks a platformer needs to be a game where you can't fail jumps is not one who I think is capable of giving a DMC game the depth and challenge that is fun. (And not even in a PoP "you fail and instantly restart" way but an actual "I will not let you jump off this cliff" way.)

Also, poo poo like this:

quote:

On top of those foundations, we are adding gameplay elements that complement combat such as elaborate traversal, a more dynamic world and a videogame story, which hopefully for once, treats us like sophisticated adults.

really makes me doubt that they're actually focusing on the gameplay instead of their Deep And Meaningful Storyline.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
You mean, their earth-shatteringly original storyline that will transcend all conventional notions of story narrative in games, and be hailed as one of the greatest works of our time, spoke of thousands of years from now by wandering prophets determined to spread forth the word of greatness from that epic tale. :smug:

Also, I never played Enslaved but I thought people sort of liked it? Like the gameplay was more shallow than a DMC game but I seem to remember it being well-received on SA after it came out.

It's okay. Its worst crime is its mediocrity.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 19, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Honestly this is pretty much how I feel. I wasn't nearly as negative about the early stuff as most people; I still think people who called Dante's original design "emo" in this were using a term they don't understand to describe a character they didn't like for silly reflexive reasons. I'm a little more critical of the impressions I've gotten from the gameplay, but I still think it has potential and frankly after Bayonetta I prefer something new to a canned DMC sequel. Bayonetta was a better, more interesting game than DMC4 both in terms of design and gameplay and I probably wouldn't even have bothered to play a generic DMC5.

But if it sucks rear end and bombs hard, and it might, I'll be right there beside everyone else pointing and laughing at Ninja Theory for poo poo like this interview.

EDIT: Also, I never played Enslaved but I thought people sort of liked it? Like the gameplay was more shallow than a DMC game but I seem to remember it being well-received on SA after it came out.

I never really saw the new Dante as "emo", but the first impressions I got is that Ninja Theory was trying a bit too hard to make this game gritty and serious, especially when the main series already attempted that with DMC2 and it backfired to the point where it got disowned. I've scrutinized every new interview and piece of media Ninja Theory has put out since, but I've been trying to chill the hell out and let the game speak for itself when it lands. It could be good and I don't want the fat mouth of some yuppie would-be auteur influence that.

If it does stink, I'll also be with you guys in making the backlash as entertaining as possible.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
As far as Ninja Theory's mo-cap goes, the work they did on Heavenly Sword is still very brilliant.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Azure_Horizon posted:

As far as Ninja Theory's mo-cap goes, the work they did on Heavenly Sword is still very brilliant.

Didn't they get Andy Serkis on as a consultant at point? But yeah, visually, their stuff is fanatastic, but it's mostly been style over substence. As opposed to being Super Smoking Stylish and substantial.

[e]: Dante's reaction.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 19, 2011

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
The new Dante reminds me of somebody who doesn't care much about pizza, and definitely does not want to get this party started.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm just not feeling the "gritty" reboot here. I could forgive that if the gameplay stacked up, though- but we'll just have to wait and see on that one. At this point, I kind of think it's going to suck but wouldn't be completely surprised if it was decent. The DMC2 comparisons feel quite accurate here, also. Ya tried it once, guys.

Also the lead designer seems like a real douche.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I don't know who the gently caress keeps looking at DMC and thinks "Yeah this is a game that needs a mature and serious story." I mean drat this isn't rocket science.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

randombattle posted:

I don't know who the gently caress keeps looking at DMC and thinks "Yeah this is a game that needs a mature and serious story." I mean drat this isn't rocket science.

Especially since the first game was relatively serious and you got stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79ddOyvnh6o

You'd think they learned their lesson!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Enjoy the serious story of holding up and jumping sometimes to get through a warping world while the glowing words "DIE" and "gently caress YOU" are written on the walls and floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJL--fT66A

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bleep posted:

Enjoy the serious story of holding up and jumping sometimes to get through a warping world while the glowing words "DIE" and "gently caress YOU" are written on the walls and floor.

That looked amazing o_o

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

lanzy posted:

That looked amazing o_o

It's pretty exciting holding up during a scripted sequence.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bleep posted:

The environment effects are freakin awesome in that video.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I just hope they stole more from Bayonetta then the whole "transparent purgatory" thing.

Wanna iceskate down those evil hallways.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Sick gameplay bein shown there. I'm pumped :D

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

bleep posted:

It's pretty exciting holding up during a scripted sequence.

That looked awesome as gently caress. Sorry that your attempt to show disgust with the game got people excited about it. Better luck next time.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Critical posted:

That looked awesome as gently caress. Sorry that your attempt to show disgust with the game got people excited about it. Better luck next time.

People can like what they want! It doesn't bother me, I just personally think that looks uninteresting to play. I would prefer them concentrate on gameplay mechanics rather than visual flair for scripted sequences, but this game is likely not aimed at people like me so I probably shouldn't pay attention to it. It's just disappointing to see a franchise I enjoy turn into something I wouldn't like.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I recently borrowed my friend's PS2 so I could experience all of the games I missed out on being a Nintendo/Xbox gamer. He gave me a bunch of great games but none from this series. Would the first be the best to start out with?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Fun Times! posted:

I recently borrowed my friend's PS2 so I could experience all of the games I missed out on being a Nintendo/Xbox gamer. He gave me a bunch of great games but none from this series. Would the first be the best to start out with?

If you have an Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 there is a collection coming out that will have the first 3 games in the series rendered in high definition. Devil May Cry 3 is considered the best game in the series, but it might be worth playing the first if you are curious about what started modern 3d action games in this style. Most people will tell you to skip Devil May Cry 2 as it was outsourced and not a very good follow up to the first game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bleep posted:

People can like what they want! It doesn't bother me, I just personally think that looks uninteresting to play. I would prefer them concentrate on gameplay mechanics rather than visual flair for scripted sequences, but this game is likely not aimed at people like me so I probably shouldn't pay attention to it. It's just disappointing to see a franchise I enjoy turn into something I wouldn't like.

That platforming is easily better than any of the platforming in previous games. I mean jesus those parts were bad.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

That platforming is easily better than any of the platforming in previous games. I mean jesus those parts were bad.

There is no arguing with that. I think they should just avoid adding platforming segments into these games unless they are going to give it enough attention so it makes sense with the rest of the gameplay mechanics and has enough interesting level design to make it worth it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

One would argue starting with DMC3. It is the most refined of the PS2 games. DMC2 is bad and DMC1 isn't exactly bad but is clearly dated.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
That looked really nice, but doesn't seem like it would be all that fun to actually play. Throw some monsters in there, make me do more than hold up and press jump a bunch.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm sure thats not the whole game, just a short setpiece between battles. I hope this has an interesting combat system with a reasonably high skill ceiling, and multiple well designed difficulty levels.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It's looking very pretty and fun, but not like a DMC game really. I hold fast to the idea that this really should have been the start of a new IP rather than slapping some DMC-related textures on it and calling it a DMC game. I think that's what really aggravates me about the whole project. Is it too late to take away the Dante stuff and make this into Serious Snark Kidd's Adventure in GrittyFuckYouland?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The fact that the game is running at 30fps is pretty telling. Compare this to Metal Gear Rising where Platinum sacrificied the FOX engine's pretty face in favor of their own 60 fps engine.

Also people like to poo poo on the stories in these games, but I really enjoyed the plot in DMC3. The family stories made an emotional connection, especially Dante and Vergil's conflict.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

notZaar posted:

The fact that the game is running at 30fps is pretty telling. Compare this to Metal Gear Rising where Platinum sacrificied the FOX engine's pretty face in favor of their own 60 fps engine.

Also people like to poo poo on the stories in these games, but I really enjoyed the plot in DMC3. The family stories made an emotional connection, especially Dante and Vergil's conflict.

Yeah DMC at 30fps sounds atrocious.

Also I think there is a difference between emotional connection to a story and gritty serious realism for DMC. As in one is completely not needed.

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011
Wasnt DMC3 30 fps?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Frogmarched posted:

Wasnt DMC3 30 fps?

DMC3 ran at an unlocked framerate which usually stayed at 60fps, but would sometimes drop below that during some sections.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Have we talked about how lovely the DMC3 PC port was? Because it was really lovely. You're actually better off running the game through a PS2 emulator than playing the official PC port. It's downright shameful, especially compared to the fantastic PC version of DMC4 (Legendary Dark Knight mode :allears:).

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yeaaaaaaaa, I'm not going to sacrifice combat gameplay for platforming gameplay in a series known for combat. Doesn't seem like a good trade, no matter how good the platforming becomes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hey, I actually like the environmental stuff they were doing in that trailer. "Gritty" or not, it does look pretty cool to traverse.

I mean, with that trailer taken objectively as a sample of a platforming setpiece, the only complaint I can make is that it looks slow for an action series like DMC.

Mind you, that's still a pretty big complaint; drat the man who, by one way or another, was satisfied with letting DmC run at 30FPS.

Meck Pomses
Jan 7, 2011

I QUESTIONED BUYING AN AVATAR WHEN I GET A FREE "STUPID NEWBIE" ONE WHEN REGISTERING SO SOMEONE GAVE ME FANART OF BIG BOSS DRESSED AS BAYONETTA DRAWN BY N ARTIST WHO TRIED TO MAKE A COLLABORATIVE BBW FIGHTING GAME FOR MY AVATAR OUT OF SPITE

Horns posted:

Have we talked about how lovely the DMC3 PC port was? Because it was really lovely. You're actually better off running the game through a PS2 emulator than playing the official PC port. It's downright shameful, especially compared to the fantastic PC version of DMC4 (Legendary Dark Knight mode :allears:).

Yeah, the only Devil May Cry game I 've ever played was the DMC 3 port for PC. I still enjoyed it for the combat and the cool surreal hell environments (which was the primary reason I became interested in the game). But I had to give up after a particularely long jumping puzzle sequence in some sort of metal tower which was followed by a "avoid a dozen spear traps" section with no goddamn savepoint between those two sections.

I really have to get DMC4 for PC. Does it have full mouse support and customisable keyboard settings?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's such a shame the DMC3 port was terrible: IIRC, it had something to do with the sound engine they used since replacing all the music/cutscene sound files with blank ones was the only way I could run the game at 60FPS. It's just not DMC3 without hearing wailing guitars and some dude growling about blood and demons while you combo poo poo.

The DMC4 port runs beautifully, and it does have full keyboard customization. Mouse support only goes up to using it in menu screens.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Meck Pomses posted:

Yeah, the only Devil May Cry game I 've ever played was the DMC 3 port for PC. I still enjoyed it for the combat and the cool surreal hell environments (which was the primary reason I became interested in the game). But I had to give up after a particularely long jumping puzzle sequence in some sort of metal tower which was followed by a "avoid a dozen spear traps" section with no goddamn savepoint between those two sections.

I really have to get DMC4 for PC. Does it have full mouse support and customisable keyboard settings?

DMC4 is a great port for PC, but I have never attempted to play it with a mouse and keyboard. The DMC series relies on analogue directional input because dodges and specific attacks rely on you moving the stick in relation to where the player character and camera are facing. Unless they have adjusted how this works for a keyboard it would make playing the game quite painful.

If you want to try it out there is a demo for the PC. http://www.fileplanet.com/186711/180000/fileinfo/Devil-May-Cry-4---PC-Demo

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Fun Times! posted:

I don't have a whole lot of experience playing any game in the series other than 3 (I played through DMC1 once a long time ago and never touched DMC2), but playing through DMC3: Special Edition is the only game in the series that I'd consider a "must play" of the first three games. It has the most refined gameplay, bosses and weapons out of the three and since the game is considered a prequel (in a series where story arguably takes a backseat to everything else), you don't have to worry about feeling lost. It's hard as hell though, so be prepared for some frustration at first - especially when the second level in the game dumps a boss on you that can teleport and attack you from every which way. It's certainly worth it once you can wrap your head around it.

bleep posted:

Eh, I'm not too keen on this video. It's clearly showcasing the visual flourish we can expect in-between individual segments, but not very indicative of the type of gameplay we can expect. Though having the world outright say "gently caress YOU" in bold, white letters is pretty drat silly.

This shows some actual gameplay so make of it what you will. Assuming that this is in the early-game with a limited array of abilities against low-level enemies, it doesn't look half-bad. The video does leave a bit to be desired - no UI means we don't really get a feel for the Style system (if there's one at all) and we haven't really gotten into the meat of some of the game's other mechanics like Devil/Human/Whatever Trigger, but not a bad first showing.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Meck Pomses posted:

Do yourself a favor and go buy a wired Xbox360 gamepad.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
So did they turned devil trigger into a i-win button that makes all your enemies float around for easy pickens?? Thanks Ninja Theory!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Apparently in order to maintain DT mode, you have to not touch the ground while you air combo enemies to death. In previous games, doing this with Enemy Step is more or less the first step you take into combo video territory, and it's reasonably challenging and fun as hell to do.

It'll be an I-win button if the bullet time is slow enough or the aerial combo system too simplistic to make timing your jumps relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It was pretty easy to stay in the air as Nero, we'll see how it works out.

• Locked thread