Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Mulgar posted:

I think guns also deal less damage to coloured enemies meaning they are borderline completely useless since they cannot even juggle the enemy without hitstun.

I still think it's a copout to limit weapon usage because it looks like the enemies and required weapon don't even have synergy.

For example: In DMC3 Bloodgoyles can only be defeated by using firearms first. However they fly all over the place making it difficult to use melee weapons on them anyway.
The coloured enemies just look like recoloured normal enemies.

That would be enemies of colour actually. Please be respectful, in this of all threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Hardcore mode on Turbo is no joke. I actually had to turn turbo off because I got to the point where I was consistently dying. I miss that high speed but drat. Also, they weren't kidding when they said they made the style rank more strict--I've only managed to get up to SSS a single time, and that was against those regular enemies you get to wail on during the Bob fight.

In some ways it almost seems too strict. The style system being way harder is a welcome change, but DmC's gameplay simply doesn't mesh with it. For instance, if you want to keep your style up, then don't charge the fist weapons, because by the time the charge is full, your style is tanked. Oh, and any enemy--like those Witches--that require you to break through any kind of shield to actually damage? Yeah, say goodbye to your style rank, it's gone. Also, there are missions where I consistently hit S rank during each of the combat sequences and the game grades me a "D" or a "C" for style overall at the end of the mission--the gently caress is up with that?

There are little issues that contribute to it as well. Grappling enemies doesn't seem to keep style up, the drat scythe attacks so slowly that unless you're hitting multiple enemies with it or finishing one off, your style just stays neutral, etc. I think the biggest issue might be that a combo repeated a single time in a row accounts for zero style--so if you use, say, Rebellion's standard combo, and then use the pause combo, you'll lose a bit because the first two strikes don't add to your style. I don't think the classic games did it quite like that--didn't combos just detriment over time? Or maybe I'm just misremembering because I played DMC 3 and 4 a loving shitload when they came out and got pretty good at them. I dunno.

Once you unlock more weapons and everything, style is a bit easier to keep up, but man there is just no leeway here. I feel like the classic games weren't this strict with style, though I could be wrong. Then again, even if they were, that's what taunting was for. I know his taunts would be lame-rear end poo poo like "I'LL RIP YOU APART" or whatever but I'm still sad this game doesn't let you taunt at all. My left thumb always instinctively moves for the select button after beating some fool into the ground. :(

One last little thing: this game's camera does not like manual lock-on. It'll swoop around a lot to try to get you facing your enemy. Being able to roll around an enemy with an evade is rad as gently caress though. It completely changes the flow of some of the fights.

All that aside, Hardcore mode--among the other changes--made this game go from "meh, I guess this is aight" to "hey, this is pretty fun" for me. Certain enemy designs are still annoying as poo poo (gently caress those fat bastards, seriously) but the game is more fast-paced even without turbo mode and the enemies actually present a challenge because they, you know, attack you and stuff.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The new alternate ending would make that just perfect.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Regarding repeating combos, IIRC, DMC3 & 4 would let you repeat a combo twice before it stopped giving style points. Hitting multiple enemies with each blow removed this limitation.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
So, if this source is to be trusted, Trish and Lady will be playable in DMC4SE: http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8103838.html

It also confirms a PC release (June 24, a week after the PS4/XB1 version).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would very much like that to be true. God-drat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

So, if this source is to be trusted, Trish and Lady will be playable in DMC4SE: http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8103838.html

It also confirms a PC release (June 24, a week after the PS4/XB1 version).

That only says Trish as playable I think. It's just talking about Lady's voice actress as far as I can see and I think new costumes?

The interesting thing is that it talks about adjusting the missions so that Nero OR Dante can play any mission in the game

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeeeeees. Turns out it's more than just playable Vergil and a Japanese voice track.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Playable Lady would be pretty boss, though. All those guns.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeeeeees. Turns out it's more than just playable Vergil and a Japanese voice track.

Well, it's also a blog so don't take it as gospel.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That only says Trish as playable I think. It's just talking about Lady's voice actress as far as I can see and I think new costumes?

The interesting thing is that it talks about adjusting the missions so that Nero OR Dante can play any mission in the game

if true, that would loving own. being able to play anywhere with any character.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwEGjnl3aiU&feature=youtu.be

NEW TRAILER!

Also playable Lady and Trish is confirmed.

quote:

This year Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition will make its way to PlayStation 4 with new modes, gameplay and visual improvements, and the largest roster of playable characters in any Devil May Cry game to date.

One of the biggest new attractions in Special Edition is that you will be able to play as Vergil, who has proven to be an extraordinarily popular character amongst fans. For his appearance in Special Edition, we’ve used his Devil May Cry 3: Dante’s Awakening Special Edition rendition as a gameplay foundation, and added in elements of his DmC rendition to create the definitive version of the character.

We’ve also added in a brand new “Concentration” mechanic, which complements Vergil’s signature “iaijutsu” fighting style, making his attacks grow stronger and stronger the more calmly and flawlessly he fights. Additionally, the “Grim Trick” ability, which allows Vergil to teleport using his “Sword Illusions,” makes for an action experience that will feel new and distinctly different from that of Nero or Dante.

We also decided that we wanted to make Lady and Trish playable for the Special Edition. On top of the already playable Nero and Dante from the original game, this makes for a total of five playable characters in the game.

Lady, who is a playable character for the first time in the series, has a fighting style that is conceptually quite different from that of the other DMC4 characters, with a special emphasis on firearms. Lady’s focus on long-range fighting will feel like a completely different way to take on the action.

When playing as Trish, you will see that she does away with weapon switching, and instead makes skillful use of the Sparda sword in a variety of ways that require the use of relatively few buttons. This again makes for a play style that will feel distinctly different from anything you’ve seen in the game until now.

“Legendary Dark Knight Mode,”a feature we were previously unable to include in the PS3 version, will be added to the game. This mode pits players against a tremendous number of enemies. Players will have to adjust their fighting style to adapt, making for a fresh gameplay experience for even long-time fans.

The game will also feature a plethora of new costumes, which are fully compatible with in-game cutscenes, bringing a fresh look to scenes some fans may have seen before.

It’s a great honor to be able to bring Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition to PS4. Stay tuned for more information, and please look forward to a fun game with tons of content this summer, whether you’re a stylish seven-year veteran or a newcomer to the series.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/03/23/devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-on-ps4-new-details/#sf8163098

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Goddamn.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Please please make the costumes accessible from the beginning

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I'm sheathing my sword so hard right now and my style rank is going up.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh sweet jesus it's even better. I was fine with a new Vergil, but Lady and Trish?

gently caress yeah.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Capcom (potentially) putting actual effort into something, well I never.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is how you do a special edition and re-release. Thanks Capcom for not being poo poo this time.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I wonder how they'll handle the character change with the new characters.

If everyone can do all 20 missions and you can do Dante vs Dante or Dante vs Credo without going through Bloody Palace, that would be cool.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:flashfap:

I am so ready for this. All I need now is DMC5 with all these chars and online co-op.

edit: vvv I hope that Trish and Lady are good. Those descriptions, especially Trish, make them sound low effort.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 23, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

◦Vergil – Dante’s ice-cold twin brother and master of the iaijutsu sword fighting style. As described by the game’s director, Hideaki Itsuno, Vergil will have a fully upgradable move set based on his rendition in Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition, with elements of DmC Devil May Cry’s Vergil added in, making this the definitive version of the character. He will also feature a new “Concentration” mechanic, which makes his attacks get more powerful the more flawlessly he fights. Vergil will be playable on any mission.
◦Trish – Resident badass since her first appearance in the first Devil May Cry’s opening cutscene, Trish does away with the need for weapon switching, instead utilizing the versatile Sparda sword, her pistols, and her bare hands in a variety of inventive ways. Trish allows players to fight with relatively few buttons, but is still quite a deep character with an awesome move set. Trish will be playable on Dante’s missions.
◦Lady – Playable for the first time, Lady specializes in long-range, firearm-based combat, making the game feel completely different. Her signature weapon, the Kalina Ann, features a grappling hook which allows her to traverse environments similarly to Nero, among other applications. Lady will be playable on Nero’s missions.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2015/03/23/devil-may-cry-4-special-edition-will-include-five-playable-characters-other-features

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Holy poo poo

Between this, Arkham Knight, MKX and EV I need a PS4 like; yesterday.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

edit: vvv I hope that Trish and Lady are good. Those descriptions, especially Trish, make them sound low effort.

Trish is probably going to be similar to her DMC2 form. As such she'll probably be very similar to a DMC1 Dante with a mix of Alastor and Ifrit moves.

Not as fleshed out but probably fun.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I'm curious about Vergil's meters.

Obviously there's health and devil trigger, but what's the blue one at the top?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Peewi posted:

The Concentration one more likely.

I need to get my ears checked or Credo sounds different?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Holy poo poo

Between this, Arkham Knight, MKX and EV I need a PS4 like; yesterday.

It's coming out on pc about 6 days after the console release!

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Peewi posted:

It's his new system - the better he fights the more damage he deals.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
These new playable characters sound great, but I am worried they are only usable upon beating the game normally as Nero and Dante.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you don't really care for the story, you can totally blitz through DMC 4 in a couple of hours though, so even if that's the case (I hope not too), it's not going to be a massive problem.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I don't wanna grind up the my lifebar and DT bar all over again though...

(Give us cheat codes to unlock everything, Capcom! Pleeeaaase)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Guys help, I think I'm either having a heart attack or DMC4 is going to be my game of the year again seven years after it already came out.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Has it already been seven years? Jesus gently caress.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Pureauthor posted:

Vergil – Dante’s ice-cold twin brother and master of the iaijutsu sword fighting style. As described by the game’s director, Hideaki Itsuno, Vergil will have a fully upgradable move set based on his rendition in Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition, with elements of DmC Devil May Cry’s Vergil added in, making this the definitive version of the character. He will also feature a new “Concentration” mechanic, which makes his attacks get more powerful the more flawlessly he fights. Vergil will be playable on any mission.

Did DmC Vergil have unique gameplay elements beyond what Vergil was capable of in DMC 3?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I had the biggest grim on my face the whole time. Game of the Forever.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Peewi posted:

Concentration already seems tied to the style meter, so maybe they're including a separate meter for the summon swords so it doesnt use up all your Devil Trigger.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Man what's with all the new posts in the DMC thre-

:stonk::fh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brutakas posted:

Did DmC Vergil have unique gameplay elements beyond what Vergil was capable of in DMC 3?

He had some teleportation gimmicks that the original didn't I think?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Up until that trailer I had totally suppressed the fact that Nero takes Dantes gun in his mouth and scissors him midair :anime:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's pretty sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Has it already been seven years? Jesus gently caress.

The PS3 version didn't have trophies because it came out before they were a thing.

• Locked thread