Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Its really hard for me to play DMC1 anymore. The unchangable controls and outdated controls really make it hard for me to play anymore.

DMC3 is personally my favorite game of the series, the chief reason being the weapon selection and style selection system. I loved choosing the four best weapons for every situation/boss and the best style to go with them, and I loved having specific setups for specific bosses and stuff like that. The weapon variety was really good in the game too.

I will agree that the enemy design was overall weaker in DMC3 than DMC1 though. Many enemies were just tedious to fight (loving fallens!!!) and not very fun.

DMC4... I think DMC4's big weakness is its lack of bosses. Replaying DMC3 made me realize how many bosses the older games had, where DMC4 has like... 5 different bosses. Plus I didn't really like how Dante only got 6 weapons, and had all 6 on at the same time, double tapping weapon select felt kind of awkward to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

notZaar posted:

DMC HD remaps jump to X and melee to Triangle, which pretty much makes the controls perfect. I just wish they would have removed the stupid requirements to lock on before shooting on the ground.

Maybe for you but I don't use anything close to the default control scheme for DMC3 or 4. I was really disapponted they didn't add remappable controls to DMC1 that would've been nice.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Nero did not have close to as many moves as Dante don't be silly. Honestly the thing that disappointed me the most about Nero was that he only had one Devil Arm and one Gun. The thing that really drew me to DMC3 and makes it the best game in the series in my opinion is the variety of Devil Arms and Guns you find in the game. DMC4 only had one new Devil Arm and Gun for Dante and Nero only had his defaults.

I do agree that a DMC2 style full campaign for both of them would've been really awesome. Imagine if both Dante and Nero got the full 5 Devil Arms and 5 Guns, and then you would choose two of each just like DMC3. And maybe Dante could unlock 7 styles (Four base, Dark Slayer, Quicksilver Doppelganger) and you could choose four of them.

I wish Dante was just more fleshed out. Plus no Devil Arm in any game is going to be as sweet as Nevan.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I haven't really been following DmC too much but its just so hard for me to get excited for the dumb game with Ninja Theory at the helm since their track record has just been completely awful.

It also feels like we haven't even seen that much gameplay and any gameplay we have seen is just the same dumb aerial combo. How can you take a series like Devil May Cry and have such lovely and lacking gameplay footage so far.

EDIT: And its the same whole crap with the Syndicate FPS and the XCOM FPS right? Why not just create a new IP if the game's overall tone and delivery is going to skew off so differently from the original that its barely even recognizable as being the same game.

ChewyLSB fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 2, 2012

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
More video games confusing swearing for writing. This is sure the Devil May Cry reboot I wanted.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Exmond posted:

And you play the Devil May Cry games for their writing..

Yes because a game that is so lovely that they have to say "gently caress" and "poo poo" every other word makes me think the game is really awesome. Because its so cool and edgy to use swears.

To me that just says to me that the game is bad and they're just padding it with swears to get the dumb edgy crowd. Which tells me the game is not going to be very good!

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

ImpAtom posted:

This is the most worrying thing. The biggest drat fear of everyone involved is "this gameplay is going to be lovely." They keep saying "No, we know the gameplay is going to be good, we swear," and then they've shown us:

A) A tutorial
B) A pretty lackluster boss fight
C) A few out of context clips which tend to be focused on a few repetitive moves.

All they have to do, literally all they have to do, is show a good, engaging, interesting combat sequence. Just one. That will alleviate a lot of concerns, or at least prove certain fears unfounded.

I mean this is one of the biggest concerns right. I feel like with DMC3 they talked a shitload about the four styles and how it was going to bring DMC back to its roots. And with DMC4 they talked a lot about the Devil Bringer and how that would add a new dimension to combat as well as on the fly style switching.

With DmC they've basically said "No trust us the combat is totally deep".

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It might be a good game.
Just not a good DMC game.

I can't even believe it'll be a good game since its being made by Ninja Theory.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I think the best thing that could happen is that DmC does awfully and then we get a DMC5 that is close to as good as DMC3 was.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

DMC 1 enemies also have audio cues and typically don't attack from offscreen to my recollection. Same holds true for Bayonetta as well.

I'm all for another Japanese DMC but they really need to change the style system. There really is zero point to Trickster and the whole on the fly switching was super cumbersome and not fun to deal with on either D-pad. Just give me all the powers at once and make them all commands like Bayonetta. Stop wasting my time Crapcom.

Is this post serious?

I'll give you a hint: The last time they gave us "all the powers at once" was Devil May Cry 2.

Also "no point to tricktster" lol. Yes sirree an air dash and a teleport unique to the style so pointless!!!!

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I actually thought Gunslinger was way better in DMC3 than it was in 4. Gunslinger with Shotgun/Artemis and Rebellion/Nevan owned so much, and that's actually the configuration I'm using to go through DMC3 again with now on DMD!

I actually don't like Pandora lore wise because I felt like it was kind of a series staple that the demons became Devil Arms (hence the name) and Dante's guns were just normal guns that Dante was good with. I mean Artemis was a bit of a stretch but you also just found it and didn't get it from a boss fight.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Gunslinger not effective? Tell that to Gunslinger Artemis in DMC3! Gunslinger Shotgun owned too.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Personally I think DMC3 is the better game so I would get DMC3 instead of 4 if I had to recommend one game. Although the PC version of DMC4 is definitely better than DMC3.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I must be the only person who loves DMC but was only lukewarm about Bayonetta. I didn't even beat the whole game on normal, the missions were super long and it was becoming really annoying to beat the levels without using continues or items.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Pesky Splinter posted:

If I had to say anything bad about Bayonetta, it's that the biking section and the missle shooter stage go on for way too long, and even worse with the missle stage, is that they put one of the best boss battles at the end of it.

Yeah I really hated those sections. They were super long and really dragged.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I don't know what to tell you if you actually used items in Bayonetta. It's basically like using items in DMC. Also I can't really imagine a person who's good at DMC yet bad at Bayonetta, considering Bayo builds on so many of its concepts and improves on them lets go with exponentially while also making them more intuitive imo.

Guess the universe is full of surprises!

I think the biggest barrier to me with Bayonetta was the lack of customizable controls. That really made the game ridiculously hard for me to play. And no, I didn't use items, of course I didn't like I said, it was just frustrating for me to try to get through a level without items or continues but the levels are each so loving long.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Personally I don't think modern games should ever not have customizable controls, its just such an insult when games don't. Its actually super hard for me to play DMC1 nowadays but that games kind of old so I can kind of excuse it not having customizable controls?

But Bayonetta really doesn't have an excuse.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Ugh, I hate how gushy previews always are. Its hard to take seriously. I guess they have to be gushy because who's going to invite the one guy who trashed the game he was previewing.

Its just such bullshit, though. Previewers always acknowledge and agree with whatever decisions the developers made because they loving have to. If I read one more article about a previewer who "Was never into Devil May Cry but the new DmC has him interested so they must be doing something right!!!" I'm going to throw up.

The best example I can think of was when they changed the multiplayer mode in Splinter Cell in... Double Agent I think from the super awesome and popular Mercs versus Spies to the generic bullshit they added, every single loving preview for it was like "Yeah, you know what maybe the multiplayer was too complicated in the previous games!" even though practically no one thought that. But the previewers just have to say that because they have to agree with everything the developers say about their dumb game.

Its just hard to take video game previews seriously when I've not seen a single negative preview for a game.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I think the dumbest thing about DmC now are people (both big name "reviewing" companies and random internet people) think that people are still backlashing against DmC because of Dante's look. Personally, while I had an initial displeasure against that, the biggest strike against the game to me is Ninja Theory.

I just thought of that because I started reading IGN's comments on that last article... which was obviously a mistake.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Pesky Splinter posted:

Well...technically.

But it's not that common, really. And the Saviour is a little different in that you just jump automatically. And it's not just "heavy attack" "grapple" "heavy attack" "grapple".

It's also a giant statue, and not just Slurms McKensy who swears. So it's got that going for it.

Its also the worst boss in DMC3 or 4.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

AnotherGamer posted:

What do exactly you mean by "bug"? In every version of the game, DT Distortion causes the DT runes to light up in sequence when you hold a button and there's a spherical shockwave when you release it, and I'm pretty sure there's an ingame tutorial for it too. Sounds pretty far from accidental to me.

I always knew this as 'DT Explosion'

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

charismaslover posted:

Speaking of lovely bosses, Arkham from DMC3 is pretty poo poo to fight.

Here's a big giant blob and some annoying slug/shark things :effort: Hope you have the Kalina Ann equipped!

The worst part about that fight is that the second half is so much harder because the game disables your stupid style. So while the first half is super easy with Trickster, I have so much more trouble when Vergil shows up to help you.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

notZaar posted:

I'm almost sure that both DMC3 and DMC4 force enemies to show up on camera before attacking, or at least attack very rarely from off-screen. Either way there's always an audio tell as well, so keep a sharp ear open.

They do. To start an attack animation they have to be on screen. Now, they can be on screen for a split second and finish the rest of the animation from off screen, but pretty much all attacks have an audio cue to go with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Playing through DMC3 again it really is crazy how bad some of the enemy design in the game is. Specifically the ridiculous number of enemies that phase through walls and are just no fun to fight (the guys with the jewels in their back, the mists that phase in and out, and the fallens).

I really love the combat in DMC3 the best (Gunslinger, Shotgun/Artemis, Rebellion/Nevan OWNS) but gently caress is it frustrating to fight the enemies sometimes.

• Locked thread