Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I am a firm believer that Metal Gear Rising will be the sequel to Bayonetta and Dmc4 that everyone is waiting for. This DMC will sputter out and die because Capcom cannot make good decisions as of late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I don't know who the gently caress keeps looking at DMC and thinks "Yeah this is a game that needs a mature and serious story." I mean drat this isn't rocket science.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

notZaar posted:

The fact that the game is running at 30fps is pretty telling. Compare this to Metal Gear Rising where Platinum sacrificied the FOX engine's pretty face in favor of their own 60 fps engine.

Also people like to poo poo on the stories in these games, but I really enjoyed the plot in DMC3. The family stories made an emotional connection, especially Dante and Vergil's conflict.

Yeah DMC at 30fps sounds atrocious.

Also I think there is a difference between emotional connection to a story and gritty serious realism for DMC. As in one is completely not needed.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Man the environments and style all LOOK so good and fit right into the DMC universe.

And then the combat starts... Jesus it looks like Heavenly Sword 2. All the same issues still seem to be there. If they were trying to sell it as DMC then they certainly succeeded, it absolutely reminds me of one DMC game. That is to say it reminds me of DMC2. From those slow and clunky attacks to the damage sponge enemies that barely react to anything Dante does it just looks so disappointing..

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Man all this is just making me wonder when we are gonna see a Bayonetta sequel or something along those lines.

Everything Ninja Theory has does has been completely unimpressive, boring, or flat out bad. I really cant imagine them doing much better with this when it is basically the same kind of game they have shown they can't do so well and sounds like it's focusing on every area no one ever asked about.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Man gently caress Ninja Theory.

This will be close to DMC2 as one of the worst DMC games.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

No QTE? Well at least Ninja Theory learned one thing from their past games my god. I dunno though with how they describe the "triggers" it does sound painfully close to heavenly sword. I played that and found it was really god drat bad so if this is similar to that then fuuuck.

All these interview just sound like they don't have the confidence to let the game speak for itself and instead have to keep saying how great the story is and that the gameplay is so unique does not fill me with confidence. That is never a good sign. It's way beyond the usual hype and strikes me as way strange at this point.

I dunno every interview from them just seems like they have no understanding of the DMC series. People wouldn't be so worried if they were just like "Hey we know DMC and all the good stuff is in our game, styles, weapon switching mid combos, that goofy yet serious story line, we got it all covered." then they could mention some favorite parts from the last games and everyone would be all on board. Instead they constantly talk about how original they are and how great the story is. Why is the story great? Cause it's great duh.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

ChewyLSB posted:

Yes because a game that is so lovely that they have to say "gently caress" and "poo poo" every other word makes me think the game is really awesome. Because its so cool and edgy to use swears.

To me that just says to me that the game is bad and they're just padding it with swears to get the dumb edgy crowd. Which tells me the game is not going to be very good!

This is still what blows my mind the most out of all this. Why in gods name did Ninja Theory sit down and go "Gee everyone loves DMC's combat and couldn't care less about the story.. I KNOW LETS MAKE THIS DMC FOCUS HEAVILY ON THE STORY AND JUST WING THE COMBAT!"

Nobody ever cared about the story what is wrong with you guyyyyyyss.....

:negative:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Demo at 4 hours 54 mins
http://e3.gamespot.com/live-show/

Summation:

* Vitality drink is literally Slurm from Futurama, right down to coming from the end of a slug monster. Hurray for originality!
* SOCIAL SATIRE SEE HOW MODERN AND HIP AND COOL WE ARE :smug:
* gently caress YOU! gently caress YOU! NO gently caress YOUUUUUU! *vomits*
* The combat is slow. As. gently caress.
* The combat looks easy. As. poo poo.
* The combat looks clunky. As. Hell.
* "So you're hoping this will have the amazing combat the series has, combined with your story telling".
* "We wanted Dante to be unpolished. He's young, a little unpolished" (in regards to character).
* The lack of a lock on target seems to be causing difficulties for whoever is playing this, they seem to be missing the mark quite a lot.
* Devil Trigger looks poo poo.
* Weapon/Ability upgrades will become available during the game.
* "Combat system has depth" (none of which is loving shown during the video)
* Made it so that expert players can play it, but not scaring away casual players.
* "All our bosses are pretty epic, so if anything [the bug boss] is at the shallower end of the pool" :smug:
* Bug boss is named "Poison".

And this boss section is a 1/3 of the way through the game. This is what the combat will be like for the majority of it.

ABANDON ALL HOPE!

Urgh. I've gone through cycles of disliking the game, feeling optimistic it'll work, disliking it even more, thinking that maybe it won't turn out to be so bad, and now I'm right back to really disliking it. Urgh...

:negative:

I cannot abandon hope I never had. :smith:

So I guess it turns out every single thing everyone was worried about turned out to be absolutely true and these guys can't figure out DMC worth a poo poo..

Maybe I should just be glad I never got my hopes up for this... :gbsmith:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I think it might be a perfectly mediocre action/platformer but man, those things are a dime a dozen. After Ninja Gaiden 3 was a gigantic pile of poo poo and Bayonetta's sequel appears to be nonexistent/cancelled, DMC is all we had left. :smith: Maybe Metal Gear Rising...

Metal Gear Rising is basically Bayonetta 2 at this point. Raiden has execution moves and everything now.

Plus there is Anarchy Rains so the world is not lost for Bayonetta.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Ximum posted:

Well, Sega seems to have killed Anarchy Reigns, too. At least for America. It's bad enough Platinum's official stance at this point is "import it, we went ahead and put full English support in it for you."

They play Anarchy Reigns trailers in gamestop all the time.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

You guys just can't accept the artistic genius of the NT crew. Clearly everyone complaining is just an entitled gamer who doesn't understand how ART truly works. :colbert:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Nikolaos posted:

Obesity? What? Where the hell did that come from?

The trailer. As for why Obesity and Stupidity are plastered on the sides of boxes in the background in DMC uh... deep artistic story? I really have no idea what is going on with those things in the trailer. Why would they spell out KILL DANTE in front of Dante as he runs by? Is he going to see it and suddenly shoot himself? It saying Die makes sense but nothing else does.. :psyduck:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Bushmaori posted:

Well yeah I know that this is the way it usually goes but I swear with this and the whole Mass Effect 3 gamer privileged rants they must be getting close to approaching critical fellatiatory mass in the eyes of the common internet reader. Or am I placing too much faith in my fellow humans?

People don't really give a poo poo about reviews anymore. With more and more people playing games it's just more likely that a person will just ask someone if a game is good or impulse buy it on sale then go look up some IGN review or anything.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

So in this gritty reboot where they have said they want to rebuild DMC and not fall back on every old trope in the series have now announced the story is going to revolve around Vergil and Dante will wield classic weapons like Ifrit.

Amazing job to everyone.

Shesh that Vergil my god.. His costume is terrrrible. Why is his cape attached like a trenchcoat and made out of a velour bedspread?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

notZaar posted:

The UI is changed, just a tad. Now the health bar has little sections instead of being one continous bar. It's still dreadfully simple and slapped together, they need to do some work on that. I noticed that the little face next to the health meter blinks occasionally, which seems to be a strange detail. Maybe it will eventually grunt and grin like the Doom guy head.

It's ok because apparently getting hit ain't no thang as Dante gets whacked several times and loses like a bar once.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Okay, I'll bite.

Why is [Country] Idol one of the sources of evil in our world?
I get Fox News because they spread fear mongering and misinformation.
I sort of get the slurm because of the whole consumerism angle. Strange Journey did it better though, but that's par for the course.

The * Idol thing has me stumped.

Because it's edgey and deep man like what if the super popular thing right now is actually evil!!! Man writing like that you could win a million awards.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

For those of you that can tolerate him, Angry Joe has an interview with Capcom about their upcoming games.

I honestly can't stomach the guy, so can't offer any comment on the video.

And here's the usual doublethink on Dante's backstory, from various people:

"Very well put, but as you mentioned ripping open your chest is over the top and excessive which is exactly why I think they did it. They want Dante to retain a trait of over the topness, and ripping open your chest to see your heart is pretty over the top. Plus it's original, I can't say I've seen in a video game where the character rips open his chest just to see his human heart. But that's just my take on it, I find the action to be original, very emotional, and pretty badass."

"I still dont think its emo though, if he did it a lot than it would be emo but if he only did it once out of curiosity than its understandable."

"I wouldn't consider it "emo" because Dante is not cutting open his chest for attention like that of an "emo" person. He is cutting himself open to see if he's human or not, or at least that's what I get from the context of the picture."

Oh, to be 12 again.

My problem with new Dante's backstory is it at best makes no sense and at worst goes against the whole story they are setting up. Original Dante was part demon and part human, it had the dynamic of his human side being a weakness in the eyes of the demons but a strength to Dante in the end. It made sense that he tried to have a normal life at first because he still is human. Not to mention the whole Sparda angle in having him be with someone infinitely weaker then him because he cared about her. It added a source of contention and a bit of irony in that the only thing keeping Dante in the fight is the same power his enemies have and with out that he's just a normal human. It's no coincidence that classic Dante killed every final boss with his pistol. Then in DMC3 they show that humans can be even worse then demons so Dante's human side isn't immediate proof that he is a good guy. In the end it really turns out to be an underdog story about Dante choosing to be human and not be a crazy demon man the same way Sparda have being most bad rear end hell guy to live with the humans.

Then you have new Dante who is now half angel and half demon. There is no struggle for humanity there because he isn't human at all. Sparda didn't give up his bad rear end status to be with someone of a lower status. None of those angles are there anymore it's just duuuur angels are good demons are bad. Like all poorly conceived of fan fiction here is no part of Dante that isn't raising his power. He has no weaknesses now and his story has no human struggle.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Pasteurized Milk posted:

Looking at that concept art just kind of reinforces how weird of a choice Ninja Theory is for Westernizing a game.

You mean the developers who have only ever tried to make Asian style games?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

I don't get the point of this new one basically allowing the player to spam the same move over and over and still give them a high ranking. Yeah, they might have a large variety of combos available, but what's the point if you're still rewarded with just spamming heavy attack?

THAT WOULD MAKE IT TOO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO DO WELL! Apparently (that is to say according to Ninja Theory) people will get up in arms if they can't always get S ranks on everything they do. This means that all the systems are dumbed down because they don't want people to have to use skill to do things well.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

Wow it sounds like they have no loving clue about anything.

It's not like they are gonna say "YEAH! This game is gonna be a huge disappointment thus living up to everyone's expectations!" Of course they are going to blow smoke up NT's asses and pretend that this is the greatest game in the history of the world. Capcom is in for a huge surprise if they think this is gonna sell gangbusters. I doubt it will get as far as Dragon's Dogma did because to be blunt the game is not that fun from every demo I've played and seems to be a recurring opinion from a lot of people.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Guydoingthis posted:

This is so dumb. Why would you start a reboot by flipping off everyone that bought the game because of fond memories of the previous title(s)?

The one way I can think of to save this would be to do something like having the white wig be an unlockable for replay, but I'm pretty sure they won't do that. They seem way too smug to acknowledge the previous games fondly.

I haven't even played the previous games and their attitude irritates me.

They would do it because Ninja Theory is just SO HARDCORE and is super cool. Ninja Theory has this cocky attitude in everything they have released about dmc partly because the gaming press has been blowing smoke up their asses at every opportunity.

I'm really not sure why so many media people are acting like its impossible for NT to make a bad choice about dmc. Actually I'm really not sure why Capcom even got NT to do this game from the beginning. Why wouldn't you try to get a studio with a track record for good games and successful games. poo poo Enslaved bombed so hard I'm surprised that NT even survived it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Because games journalism.

Hey if the old dmc games came with a Mountain Dew and some Doritos they might play them. :colbert:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Forever was poorly received for the story too, yes. It wasn't funny and was misogynistic in an uncomfortably straightforward way, even compared to older Duke games.

Forever was poorly received because it was stuck in limbo for 12 years and every single aspect reflected that. The story, gameplay, weapons, settings, all of it felt like a game straight out of 2002.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

I hope however, the unseen boss designs are more interesting than the ones they've shown thus far: Poison is not that impressive and the Hunter is just Orangguerra 2.0, though the Not-Glenn Beck boss is looking pretty interesting being made of all TVs and that. And considering that it's heavily implied Mundus turns into a huge gently caress-off building, it'd be nice to see a Nefasturris-like boss again..

Why would anyone ever do that boss again? That was one of the worst and most boring fights from 2. :psyduck:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I also like that this quote

NinjaTheory posted:

“I want to be definitive. He’s not playable in the game. I don’t want to be coy about that and have people think they’re getting one thing when they’re getting another.”

was total bullshit.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Someone's Son of Sparda run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqdl6lx5CPk

It looks more interesting and engaging at a higher level - different enemy groups and all that. That lock-on seems to be more of a hinderance than a help though. Especially with those flying enemies.

This is a more personal complaint but I miss the older style of music, where it's more video-gamey, rather than "this is the poo poo we didn't want to put on our album" kinda thing.

I think I finally figured out what bugs me about the combat so much. Dante moves in bizarre chunks during his combos instead of in a more fluid motion like DMC3-4. He doesn't move at all in the air unless he does the grab and on the ground his movement seems unrelated to how it looks.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

They said something along those lines. I hesitate to believe them.

Speaking of that, look at this Truestyle video. Obviously this person knows the thing inside and out and can do all sorts of crazy poo poo. This is her DmC attempt.

And for shits and giggles, as well as demonstrating just how hosed and unbalanced the ranking system is, look at this guy go from a D to SSS in three hits.

I keep hearing people mention this but I don't ever remember them saying anything like that. Especially when the combat system is just Heavenly Swords combat system with some dmc moves in it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

The more I hear about DMC the more convinced I am that Ninja Theory has no loving idea how to make a good character action game. They just keep doing Heavenly Sword over and over again because they are convinced it's an amazing game despite only selling well while it was an exclusive PS3 game during a time where there were hardly any games coming out. I have no doubt there are developers on the team who played DMC3 or 4 but seem to have no understanding of what made those games great. So they just go "Well we have juggles! And a devil trigger! That's it right?" I don't think they have any understanding why you want a manual lock on in these kinds of games and it seems like if something comes up in all these interviews they just point to Capcom and blame it on them.

Call me cynical but I loving hate the games that Ninja Theory makes and to me they are a rather terrible developer so I'd really rather not see Ninja Theory smear poo poo all over Onimusha too.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

skywalker6705 posted:

Stumbled on another ridiculous video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnbnqJSpj-Q

Man, watching this just makes me really aware of how NOT good I was at these games, even though I loved the hell out of them. Anyone else feel the same? I love watching this crap on youtube, it's like an inspiration to suck less. I seriously don't understand how anyone can't see why people see a difference between this DMC, and DmC.

Seriously though, he does like the entire Credo fight in one SSS combo where he takes one hit. Beautiful.

See this right here is the problem with the new DMC game. Look how long he has to do well to get to SSS. Sure the path to S is short and quick and he can maintain SS in the start but he really has to bust his rear end to get to and then maintain that SSS rank.

It's not just OH I CAN HIT ONE BUTTON and then you are awarded with the best ranking ever.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

notZaar posted:

DMC3 Dante pointlessly antagonizes Lady in every encounter (even if she isn't the nicest person to him to begin with) and is generally really abrasive. It's nice that by the end of the game he actually has something to care about and can show some empathy while still kicking rear end.

Dante in 3 was also trying to get her to go away because she isn't an invincible demon hunter. Once he realized she could hold her own he backed off.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Wouldn't an English/American weaboo basically be a brony?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

Goddamn. I could poo poo a better translation than that.

I know right? It's not even keeping in spirit of DMC!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I seriously doubt anyone is actually mad about dmc more just they remember that they don't like it. Especially with how in your face dmc is about it and how people react to it. What's wrong with people saying they don't like it? Just cause the game is a little old now doesn't mean you can't voice an opinion on it. The real question is why does it bother everyone so much when people say they don't like dmc?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Metal Gear Rising is probably the best action game of that type to come out in the modern video game era. Never mind that it was made in Japan that game is a western gow action game through and through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I think Lady's shotgun is better than DMC3 shotgun.

• Locked thread