Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

probably my favorite DMC-related art ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
That's... decent art, I dunno what you're getting at.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
As far as Ninja Theory's mo-cap goes, the work they did on Heavenly Sword is still very brilliant.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bleep posted:

Enjoy the serious story of holding up and jumping sometimes to get through a warping world while the glowing words "DIE" and "gently caress YOU" are written on the walls and floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJL--fT66A

The environment effects are freakin awesome in that video.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

bleep posted:

People can like what they want! It doesn't bother me, I just personally think that looks uninteresting to play. I would prefer them concentrate on gameplay mechanics rather than visual flair for scripted sequences, but this game is likely not aimed at people like me so I probably shouldn't pay attention to it. It's just disappointing to see a franchise I enjoy turn into something I wouldn't like.

That platforming is easily better than any of the platforming in previous games. I mean jesus those parts were bad.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

They're definitely nailing the artwork. I love it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sounds better than your typical DMC plot.

I mean, let's not kid ourselves here.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I have to say that Dante nude is pretty hot, shame about the fact that they did some stupid coverups of nudity; videogames should seriously be getting over that by now.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Aidan_702 posted:

By the 'sexual deviant' - coming from a glen beck figure - bit are they implying that dante's gay now?

Anyway I was getting quite a cool Enter the Void vibe from it. At least it shows that their drawing from good media.

I suppose this means doing acid is the best way to play this game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Yodzilla posted:

I kind of like the visuals and colors going on there. Still no idea about the gameplay but at least stylistically it looks neat.

At the very least, it's a superbly good-looking game. A really amazing achievement from Ninja Theory overall.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

notZaar posted:

It's just a little tongue in cheek. This sort of game is too goofy/fantastic to pull off any nudity with artistic integrity.

Oh I know... I'm just a perv about new Dante.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

randombattle posted:

This is still what blows my mind the most out of all this. Why in gods name did Ninja Theory sit down and go "Gee everyone loves DMC's combat and couldn't care less about the story.. I KNOW LETS MAKE THIS DMC FOCUS HEAVILY ON THE STORY AND JUST WING THE COMBAT!"

Nobody ever cared about the story what is wrong with you guyyyyyyss.....

:negative:

From what's been showcased so far, I don't know how they're "winging" the combat.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

The guy is also looking forward to Silent Hill: Book of Memories too... he is really is just contrarian for the sake of contrarian.

Those comments:

Oh, these wise sages of videogames :allears:

The last comment, while... gross, wasn't too far off: Enslaved was a pretty good game.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I knew Bayonetta was PG's best selling game, but I didn't know they broke a million, nice. I can only hope Anarchy does as well.

Anarchy absolutely bombed in Japan.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Vergil looks pretty cool and the new environment screenshots are fantastic. I'm psyched.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Dante still looks hot, and that TGS trailer was probably the best one yet.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Hot drat, I want that. The Dante with Angels pic is some of the best art I've seen for the series. I love it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Magil of Shadow posted:

You're serious, aren't you?

Chozo loving Christ, you're serious.

Oh no! Call the cops! Opinions are different!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
That is a seriously cool level. El Shaddai-esque.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Another awesome trailer. Looking drat good.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pesky Splinter posted:

Dante's voice clips for Playstation battle royal thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq1z7Na7ccE

Falls a bit flat in places, but okay. No FUUUCCCKK YOUs at least.

Don'te is a really dumb nickname.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Holy gently caress that concept art is gorgeous. Definitely considering a purchase.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

SSNeoman posted:

Of course there would be.

Of course.

Like every other game that comes out ever.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Oh shut it, you.

A large part of my enjoyment is the hammy charm of DMC. :colbert:

With DmC everything I like about the series is gone in a puff of smoke. The whole heavily laden Gothic architecture, the big splash of red color in a world of muted dark hues:

The games (bar 2, big exception if there ever was one) just had this aura of FUN that really drew me in.

I've largely preferred the art design in this game to past games. The Gothic architecture was starting to get old hat by 4, honestly.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Honest Thief posted:

But he does look cool! That red anime jacket is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. Even the lamest rank in DMC3 is Dope!, that's just short of cool.

I always thought the shirtless thing was dumb, though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
While I do plan on getting this game, I'm still disappointed that they didn't let Nitin Sawhney score it like they did Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. Great soundtracks, great musician.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Exmond posted:

Some of the nitpicking in this thread is hilarious... I mean there are some good objections in the thread but some of the others are just nitpicking.

I'd say MOST of it has been nitpicking. 48 pages of it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
"DmC: It's not nearly as bad as ridiculous DMC fans say it is."

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Jetpack Postman posted:

Since I haven't seen it posted yet, I figure I ought to let you dudes know about the recent OXM video preview, done by the same dude that helped sell a lot of folks on Dragon's Dogma. There's a few things he says that should be taken with a grain of salt, but the combat looks pretty solid and there's some interesting ideas at play with the Proud Soul-esque upgrade system that lets you shuffle around "upgrade tokens" so you can mess around with new weapon abilities without necessarily having to buy all of them. I'm not sure how I feel about the amount of enemies that have a shield, though. It seems like an arbitrary thing just to make sure you use the hell out of that grapple mechanic.

The story is still likely going to be a massive poo poo-pile, but between what we've seen with the Vergil trailer and some of the stuff that's coming to light in regards to combat being better than it has been I'm probably going to end up taking the plunge and buying the game. Not like there's anything else coming out in January (I've already imported Anarchy Reigns).
Everything that goes along with the Osiris combo-wise is awesome. I love that spinning move Shredder that juggles enemies in the air. Looks awesome.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Capitalism Bro! posted:

Argent Key?! Are you loving kidding me?! Just call it a silver key you chucklefucks! :argh:

On the other hand the fighting isn't so bad. It's janky and inelegant as hell but it's passable. Too bad everything else is Real Bad. Especially the voice acting jesus.

:geno: "I am going to pull you apart."

Also I'm not digging the art style and setting. It's like Bayonetta designed by wanker middle class art students.

I might get it once it's like a tenner.

I *love* Bayonetta but that's exactly how one would describe its art style/setting, rather than DmC's.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

Bayonetta is described as "Bayonetta designed by wanker middle-class art students?" That, uh, doesn't make a lot of sense.

I like some of what DmC has done but actually playing it the areas in-between the really cool bits are extremely boring. Everything they've shown so far is pretty schizophrenia really. When the game is on it is incredibly cool but the demo is off more than it is on. I really hope the later parts of the game are more exciting.

In particular the Slurm Queen is bad. Just bad. She is extremely out of place with everything else they show which has this pretty interesting element of corrupted city to it. She just looks like a generic monster pumping yellow ooze. I don't know why she's the boss they're using to try to sell the game because she seems like the crappiest boss in the game from any possible perspective. (Gameplay AND visual design.) I really doubt (or at least hope) any other boss would just sit there and not attack if you don't get close.

It really stands out when fighting her compared to the videos because the fight is just incredibly generic and boring. It's bad from a setpiece perspective as well as a gameplay perspective. The other stuff in the demo is a lot more visually interesting even if it is flawed from a gameplay perspective.

No, what I said was that I thought Bayonetta's art design/environments were "designed by middle-class art wankers". The environments seen so far in DmC are incredible. It's one of the huge reasons that I will try and buy the game. I always appreciate incredible art and it's one of the reasons I loved El Shaddai, too.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

So you're saying Bayonetta's art design/environments are something you don't even know what it means? I get you like the game but going "No, the thing you like sucks" in response to criticism is pretty silly. You just admitted yourself you don't even know what he means, but he said something bad about DmC and good about Bayonetta so it's time to level the exact same insult towards Bayonetta.
I just don't think Bayonetta is a high water mark for art design that DmC should be thrown up against, when personally it wasn't all that great. DmC will never come close to Bayonetta in gameplay, though.

I'll write up a bigger post when I get some time at work.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

Cool, I'd like to see it.

Note: This post does not concern gameplay or gameplay interaction with environments.

One of the things I really disliked about Bayonetta's artstyle is its intended over-the-top ridiculousness went... well, too far. I believe both Bayonetta and the new DmC have bad character design but in different directions. While Bayonetta is an iconic-looking character, she's also dressed in the most ridiculous, exaggerated way possible. Same goes for literally every other character in the game. The enemy designs have mostly the same issue -- with a few exceptions here and there -- in that the mixture of angelic features and demonic auras comes across as hamfisted as some of the enemy designs in DmC (I especially got tired of the gratuitous amount of statue babyfaces in Bayonetta). I get the intent, and know that the particular art style of the game was done on purpose, but I think it was just so exaggerated it became weird, and uncomfortable to watch sometimes.

DmC, however, has a similar problem. Some of its characters have that Bayonetta-esque ridiculousness (Vergil and his fedora is like Luka with his out-of-place scarf), but in a different direction: They're trying to nail a 90s Linkin Park-esque angstfest and failing; in capable hands, it could be done well, but I don't think NT hit the mark here. Then again, I am one of the few who doesn't have a problem with new Dante's design.

The main reason I prefer DmC's art design is, ultimately, its environments. While it probably has less interactivity than Bayonetta does, the ideas and concepts are far more original/interesting. The idea of the world shifting and breaking as the demon world peeks into the real world is awesome and visually stunning. I especially like the constantly moving light and cloud cover bathing the game's first level. We've also seen peeks at later levels which are so out-there visually that it draws strong parallels to El Shaddai; the concepts are even similar, too. Dante goes into a demon's specific realm in the same way Enoch traveled to the worlds that the fallen Watchers had created. To me, I can see how instead of relying on DMC art tropes such as Gothic architecture, they've concocted some of the most original environment ideas that the NT team has ever done, and some of the most interesting I've ever seen.

Of course, I loved El Shaddai. It also shares the same simplistic, shallow combat that DmC does as well as the flair for ridiculous character design, but the environment design alone saved the entire game for me, and it looks like it's doing the same for me with DmC.

My only true disappointment, as stated before, is the lack of Nitin Sawhney and the terrible music, not that DMC has ever been known for good music or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

sandpiper posted:

Also just to be clear I really did like the aesthetic and environments. They did a great job here. As an animator and artist myself it's very appealing to the eyes.

However, that's where my praise ends.

If nothing else, I hope they continue to find work if this game bombs.

• Locked thread