Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I get why Capcom attached the DMC name to this, but it really looks like it has nothing to do with the series beyond vague design elements and the name of the main character. In fact, having to tie the game to DMC in some way is probably holding the game back- it looks like the game would be better suited just having all-original concepts. I would really have absolutely no problem with it if this were the case- however, the game in it's current state (gameplay-wise) doesn't look like it really measures up to 3 or 4, so I really have no problem bashing the HELL out of it.

Seriously Capcom, you knew everyone would hate this and ya went ahead with it anyway. What an utterly rear end in a top hat move- "Whoa, our fans sure are gonna hate this. Psssh, what the hell are they going to do? Not buy the next good game in the series? Yeah right, gently caress 'em."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

The engine is called NT Framework and it wasn't scrapped, it has been used for other Capcom games such as Lost Planet. The engine is PC native and Capcom then ports out the games to each platform. They didn't give it to Ninja Theory because it is an in-house technology that Capcom is extremely protective of.

With good reason, I suppose- you would need something this good to make Legendary Dark Knight mode from 4 possible. I can't believe how well it runs!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Allow me, for a moment, the indulgence of doing a little armchair quarterbacking on Capcom's behalf here:

What the gently caress are you guys doing? Handing off one of your flagship IP's whose primary attraction is the tight-n'-fast action ... to a developer known for middling-to-lovely action games? Why didn't you develop this in house? Too expensive? Too tied up doing other things? What is it? If you're gonna hand it off, at least give it to Platinum or the Ninja Gaiden people- Christ, we have another DMC2 on our hands here! Didn't you learn your lesson the first time on that? You guys don't need to do it again gently caress WHAT ARE YOU DOING THROW THE BALL

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair, Platinum's busy with Metal Gear and the Ninja Gaiden guys are busy with... Ninja Gaiden.

I'm not about to make excuses for them loving up one of my favorite game series. Do it right or wait until you can, ya bastards!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is why I have high hopes for Metal Gear: Revengance. There's not too many games other than those in the fighting genre that have high skill ceilings and let ya just play 'em forever. It's like gaming industry planned obsolescence or something.

EDIT:
\/\/\/Revenge + Vengeance = REVENGANCE. That's how I see it, anyway.\/\/\/

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 17, 2011

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

Revenge with a Vengeance :eng101:

Then they SMASH TOGETHER WITH SPARKS AND poo poo and you get Revengeance!

That was the most 80s trailer I have ever seen.

NOW IT'S PERSONAL

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Aw man, even the crazy weird additional art pales in comparison to previous iterations. This reminds me of one of those insufferable AXE commercials. In fact, are you sure this is not an AXE tie-in? Now that would make me really mad. Here, have some decent additional art-stuff:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm just not feeling the "gritty" reboot here. I could forgive that if the gameplay stacked up, though- but we'll just have to wait and see on that one. At this point, I kind of think it's going to suck but wouldn't be completely surprised if it was decent. The DMC2 comparisons feel quite accurate here, also. Ya tried it once, guys.

Also the lead designer seems like a real douche.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's looking very pretty and fun, but not like a DMC game really. I hold fast to the idea that this really should have been the start of a new IP rather than slapping some DMC-related textures on it and calling it a DMC game. I think that's what really aggravates me about the whole project. Is it too late to take away the Dante stuff and make this into Serious Snark Kidd's Adventure in GrittyFuckYouland?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Overdrive! If you're going to flat-out steal stuff from the other games then take it ALL so we get a game that doesn't play like the "slowdownSPEEDUP" scenes from 300, please.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

Are you talking about the brief slow-down when he dodges?

Because that's pretty much a rip off of Bayonetta's Witch time. The combat looks janky as hell. Not looking good DmC.

Nah, I'm talking about the Swordmaster style move "Overdrive". It's a continuation of the "Drive" move. Ya know, RT+ RS back+ O? :spergin: Sorry...I'm just irritated that they appear to be just randomly cherrypicking stuff out of the DMC games to put in their (probably) lovely game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jetpack Postman posted:

True. I'm just a huge goddamn nerd for gameplay mechanics, so when I get going I tend to keep going.

This game might be a Devil May Cry game because of marketing. The party line for these decisions tends to be that established IPs are easier to sell than new ones. I don't know how true that is and I'm also unaware whether or not that accounts for new companies taking on these IPs either. But that all goes out the window if Ninja Theory just wanted to develop a Devil May Cry game to begin with. V:shobon:V

I think this is a pretty blatant cash-in. However, I'm not sure how it's going to work. Is DMC really a popular enough IP to warrant attaching it to what should be it's own game to sell more copies? I thought the whole hardcore action game thing was a bit niche, actually.

So if the only people who are "under the brand's power" are those who really love the high skill ceiling anyway, what do they have to gain by attaching the IP to a game with a lackluster combat system? The non-crazy-action people would have an equal chance of buying the game anyway since they don't care about the series, and the fans from before are just going to be pissed off at the changes and have a reduced chance of buying it. I'm probably missing a few things. Maybe I'm reading too much into the scant gameplay evidence that has been released so far.... Maybe DMC4 released with more fanfare than I remember....

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coughing Hobo posted:

You get diminishing, and eventually, zero returns on your Style meter and end-of-mission points using the same move over and over.

It's a good formula- you can win by doing the same thing over and over, but that just wouldn't be very Stylish of you, now would it?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Conclusions posted:

I've seen this pop up from time to time, but other than the hair colour I honestly don't see it. :confused:

I dunno, I think the hairstyle looks pretty similar. Man, that guy could not look like more of a douche in that picture. I can feel him looking down his nose at me and everyone else in the world.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

Unless the Audio is literally a reading of your style meter like "Your style meter is going down" or "CRAZYYY!!!!"

This sounds like something they would do in a movie from the 90's where the characters are playing a video game that is unnamed for purposes of copyright dodging.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quote:

So we take that as a yes! Coming back to the fighting, will it be like the past (ie, focused on long sequences of keys) or will it follow the current fashion of simplifying gameplay (ie, using a single button to do anything)?

A : DmC’scombat will be fast, fluid, technical, and most importantly, fun! It will be a very deep system with many moves that are “down to earth” that “fly” and can be linked together for very long combos. Dante will have three forms (human, angel and devil) and each will have unique weapons and a different style of fighting. You can change shape at any moment, even during a combo. This opens up an infinite number of combinations of possible attack, leaving great room for creativity of the players.

Notice how Antoniades doesn't really definitively answer the question here. "Fast, fluid, technical" could describe a number of things- I'm playing Arkham City right now and I would say that about the combat in [/i]that[i] game. He doesn't say it'll be like a typical DMC game- and that would be a very easy and positive thing to say, if it were true. This worries me. Also, remember how in Heavenly Sword you could switch between "fast", "strong" and "balanced" modes of combat? Hmmm... == "angel", "devil" and "human"? Don't give me another reason to dislike you, Antoniades. On the positive side, there will apparently be more than three weapons to play around with!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I'm kind of iffy on this actually. They talked earlier about the fact that your weapon can transform into different shapes depending on your attacks. I sort of suspect that "different weapons" is going to mean "context sensitive based on attack" instead.

Oh this would be the sneakiest bullshit ever and I certainly wouldn't put it past 'em.

"Pesky Splinter posted:

Angel Power for Speed!

Slicing the enemy with a scythe-like sharp blade. Angel weapon power is used for speedy attacks. Use it near obstacles to change the weapon's form and demonstrate the various capabilities of it.

Yeah, so speed attacks, and possibly used for jumping puzzles and things.

Demon Power for Strength!

Crush the enemy with a weapon such as a heavy axe. The Demon power can pull enemies towards you using a grab move.
Heavy attacks basically.

Oh, I was wrong. It's a revamped Heavenly Sword system- I know this is kiiiind of reaching here but drat if it doesn't remind me of it. This is supposed to be DEVIL MAY CRY Antoniades!

You'd think they would release a trailer really detailing the combat- isn't the release less than a year away (probably)?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

In this case, I don't particularly agree. Devil May Cry is an arcade style action game where things like points are actually a part of the game, not just a holdover mechanic. That is part of why I enjoy it. A lot of games now treat "game" like a bad word and that's honestly less fun to me when I actually want to play a game instead of an "interactive experience."

The Style Meter being visible is pretty important because it gives easy and direct feedback to how well you are doing. You instantly know if you're maintaining an A or S or SSS. It's your score meter effectively. It being invisible just makes it more obtuse and strongly implies that they developers are more interested in making an experience then a game.

If the were smart, they would just give the option of toggling it on or off. Problem solved! Watching the video, it seems like they are invested in making this a good action game, but I don't know if that is their primary objective here. The input from the previous designers a Capcom should also really help (hopefully they listened). I guess I'm just upset that they're trying to make the narration and cutscenes "cool" rather than "Whoa gnarly dude I'm going to surf on this missile". There will be nothing like that goofy "opera theater" scene from DMC4 and this saddens me. :(

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Ninja Theory has now explained that DmC exists in two universes; the first- the normal world which is familiar to people, the other- the demonic world where demons manipulate our world 'behind the scenes'.

For example, in our world, as shown in one of the DmC trailers, there is a poster which promotes burgers. But in the Demonic dimension, it's in fact call to sin, indulging gluttony. But in Dante's eyes, the demonic forces or even buildings stand in his way.

Demons manipulating things behind the scenes through subliminal posters, you say? Close enough.

Dante will travel between worlds by wearing sunglasses with a deep and meaningful backstory- ya know, so they have a reason to be there and don't feel shoehorned in for the purpose of game mechanics!

THEY... uh, CHANGE-DEVIL-MAY-CRY-UNFAVORABLY

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, if they nail down one thing in the game it's gonna be the art direction I guess. I'm not all that optimistic about the game but I've gotta say, the designs look fantastic. Not so hot on the Ebony/Ivory retooling... They're supposed to be modified M1911's, not some kinda goofy H.R. Giger-esque bio-mechanical space gun! Maybe they're working up an explanation for the infinite bullets or something...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

IIRC, the explanation in the regular DMC games, is that Dante uses his demonic power to make the bullets. The same is true for Bayonetta, except it's her magic that does it instead.

Indeed, I only mentioned it because they seem pretty interested in tying gameplay elements that really need no explanation ("That's not just some random demonic barrier stopping you from progressing until you kill everything! The city is trying to stop you!") to the story in some way.

\/\/\/EDIT\/\/\/

Stop it Splinter, you're scaring me! :cry:

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 2, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ha ha ha are you loving kidding me? Yo Devs, good show having a loving 14 year-old write the script. How many people looked at this and went "Yeah, Demon Mental Health Care. This is so what we're goin' with. That's what those crazy kids want these days, right? Wait, we said we're supposed to be treating them like adults? poo poo. Well whatever, people are pretty stupid nowadays anyhow. Proceed!" Never fails to astound me how the least expensive part of making a game gets so neglected...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I have two predictions on what this game will achieve on release.

1. It'll be the best Ninja Theory game.

2. It will be better than Devil May Cry 2

Anything else that it actually accomplishes will be a pleasant surprise.

Realizing this is likely true just lifted my spirits. Game'll be worth playing at the very least.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I could not care less about the story (which seems like it was penned by a 14-year old that listens to too much Linkin Park) as long as the gameplay holds up. Antoniades is being kinda evasive about what the gameplay is actually going to be like, and that's a little worrying. Ninja Theory is really great when it comes to art direction and visual design, but are pretty bad at getting the feel of the gameplay right. Hopefully they were being led around by the collar by the boys over at Capcom a lot on this. Also, making GBS threads on Bayonetta? Not a good idea when you're trying to sell a game to action game fans, Tameem.

The only thing I can really comment on with any certainty is how the game looks right now. Despite all the angsty story bullshit it looks beautiful so far, but if the gameplay blows I'm not buying it. Another thing that pisses me off is that they're trying to make the game "like a Western action movie". Listen, if you want to make a game like that, make it a separate IP because DMC is so incongruous with that idea (well, unless it's an 80's movie maybe) that you're going to wind up completely tearing the whole mutha' down to make it what you want. I guess the worst thing that could happen here is that the game sucks and sells well- would pretty much ensure we'd never get another solid DMC title for a really long time.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

Hopefully DMC or working with the DMC team will teach them that, yes, they are infact making a game, not trying to make a playable movie with a really mediocre story.

They seemed to make a big deal about how they were getting help from Capcom Japan to nail down the DMC gameplay, so hopefully they just watched Ninja Theory like a hawk in that respect. Enslaved had great production values other than the gameplay- the art direction was particularly memorable for me. (But not enough to make me forget the crappy gameplay.) I guess how the gameplay stacks up in DmC will determine whether it's a rental or day 1 purchase for me.

Concerning a Bayonetta sequel I would be totally for it. Everything was so perfect in terms of the gameplay that they don't really need to change anything, just give us new venues to use the fantastic assets they already laid down. I refuse to believe the team that put that together is creatively tapped, based on the crazy poo poo that was in the game. However, I guess I would rather have an excellent new IP from Platinum than another Bayonetta game...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm a little worried that there's been basically zero serious discussion or video footage of the actual gameplay as of yet. Guess I'm just hoping for the best \/:downs:\/ (but expecting second-long button-press-to-action delays and lovely platforming).

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

What with this on the way I finally decided to pick up DMC4 on the cheap and give it a whirl. I'm not sure if Bayonetta just spoiled me but DMC4 seems loving dull. Were all DMC combos systems this rigid? I remember them being really good.

Turn on Turbo and Legendary Dark Knight mode. :black101:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pesky Splinter posted:

StuuuuuUUUUUUFFFFFFFF

I think the fact that I kinda sorta fell for this proves that I just have an itchy hate-trigger-finger for this game and everyone involved in it's development. (You go to hell Tameem that still looks like you :argh: )

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, at least Dante doesn't seem to be a Linkin Park song made flesh any longer! The combo meter is firmly in place a s a mechanic, and it was mentioned that there would be more weapons in each of the three apparent classes. Action looks a little clunky and slow, but might there might be a little time to iron that out? Maybe some of the other weapons are faster and more accommodating to people who like the other DMC games, eh? Not exactly what I hoped for, but I'm definitely playing it now.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I really hope Not-GlennBeck/Not-BillO'Reilly turns into a big monster that you fight later on in the game.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Changing something to "suit the tastes of a contemporary audience" usually just turns it to poo poo, just sayin'. "Oooo guys if we make it too hard and dynamic modern gamers just aren't going to get behind it, ya know? Put at least one third-person cover-based shooter section in there, that'll really reel in the masses!"

I know that sounds a little hyperbolic and "Ugh, Plebians" but I don't give a gently caress- it pisses me off when I see producers monkeying around with a winning gameplay formula just so that more people will latch onto a franchise. I mean, screw the fanbase, right? If we get enough people to buy the drat thing they won't matter! I'm still probably buying it- but if it doesn't live up to the standards of the other games I'm not buying on release.

Also, Splinter's right- all the combat stuff they're getting so excited about? Switching weapons/styles (Oh who am I kidding there's no Styles here) on the fly? Already been done, sorry guys. They apparently think it's super fuckin' neato that the game they're making might live up to the standards already laid down. Did they not play the other games or something? Or do they think we all have the memory of a goldfish? I don't get it.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 13, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, I thought Team Ninja's argh Ninja Theory's forte was art direction and storytelling- political commentary does not belong in a DMC game at all, let alone commentary this goddamn hamfisted. I will only be satisfied if they acknowledge how stupid this is by giving Dante a cestus-type weapon that is literally two big hams. FIGHT THE POWER

That being said, I too could care less about the story as long as the gameplay's solid.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 14, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I know it's less than ideal that they've chosen to go this way as far as the storytelling portion of the game goes, but I also have a feeling I'm going to have a good laugh at their juvenile attempts at social/political commentary. I feel a little conflicted. It is ridiculous that they've been hyping the hell out of the story portion of the game even though it's going to be stupid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Maybe now that Cool Dante isn't so busy he can show up in the next Bayonetta game? (Please Capcom? :ohdear:)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Well, I guess I was wrong. Angel is "fast attacks", devil is "slow attacks" and human is "medium attacks." Welp.

Heavenly Sword 2 Devil may Cry!

For chrissakes they're even re-using the "hold trigger to change moveset" thing.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 9, 2012

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I am not a fan of the triggers thing but if you can actually cycle through all the weapons in combat in a fluid manner then the game has a shot at being interesting, I think. I always liked how you controlled which attack you were doing in the previous DMC games by button rhythm- so if you wanted to do a heavy attack you kind of had to think about it beforehand and input the right stuttered string of button presses. It really prevented button mashing!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ha ha, an Anonymous ripoff guy against not-Fox-News? MAXIMUM EDGINESS. That club scene transforming into a giant monster arena sure did look neat though- if nothing else, this game is going to have some cool setpieces. Also Dante seems to be getting slightly more likeable in each trailer, so that's good.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If the best they have to offer in terms of gameplay is that stale fart of a trailer then it looks like this game is gonna be pretty boring. The sword air combo is so slow. Also "A Combo Rank = Anarchic"? GTFO Ninja Theory.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You know, when you think about the development history of Ninja Theory this is hardly a surprise.

2003- Kung Fu Chaos --> A lovely "party" game for XBox.

2007- Heavenly Sword --> A clunky (if pretty) action-brawler with a novel control scheme that involved holing different triggers to activate different combat stances. Fun enough, but tedious compared to superior, more aggressive action games.

2010- Enslaved: Odyssey To The West --> A game with a beautiful art style, great graphics, an engaging storyline, and likeable characters. Unfortunately the combat is basically "QTE: The Game". The game is rewarding enough overall to warrant one slog through, though.

Point being, I don't know what the FUUUUCK (<--See how edgy and clever I am NT? Hire me.) Capcom was thinking handing the development of a game known and loved for its tight action to a developer who has demonstrated that they don't do action. All of their games worth playing are really carried by their narrative and visual design. Furthermore, DMC games don't even lend themselves to particularly fascinating narratives- they tend to be at about the level of a Motörhead music video. And that's fine- that's what I bloody want, dammit! I'm not looking for a story when I play a DMC game, much less a hammy-hamfisted attempt at being subversive/edgy. I'm hoping the game just bombs at this point so Capcom doesn't pull this bullshit again.

Of course, I could be wrong about the whole deal and they're just withholding the actual gameplay? Seems like a bad hype move if that's true though... sorry for rambling.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we've basically been watching the same gameplay trailer for months now- I doubt they've got anything else at this point. E3 would be the place to drop the Oh Snap gameplay trailer that just blows everyone away- this isn't real encouraging.

ChewyLSB posted:

With DmC they've basically said "No trust us the combat is totally deep".

While constantly running their hype-holes about how amaaaaaaazing the story is. And we all see how that's turning out.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 6, 2012

• Locked thread