Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I hope the Vita version of Rising is still in the works, so I can transfar my revengance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The best thing about DMC was that it gave you your devil trigger in the second mission, as opposed to about a third of the way through the game. Fresh Dante runs in 3 and 4 are a nightmare without it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

notZaar posted:

I actually really liked the character designs in DMC3 (except the devil trigger, that was awful.) The face especially was a really stylized without being outright cartoony.

The devil trigger costumes were designed by the Zone of the Enders artist, if I remember that correctly.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The great thing about getting a PC release is being able to play it at 60 fps.
Having a higher frame rate will give you faster visual feedback as well as more responsive controls, because there is less time between you pressing a button and that action happening on screen.

By the way, have any of you tried DMC4 on iOS? I'm impressed by how Capcom have tried getting some very ambitious games on the platform, including Resident Evil 4 and Street Fighter IV, even though they would benefit from actual buttons.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Do people really say this? They cut a bunch of content from MGS3, and there's plenty of emulation oddities found throughout both MGS2 and 3. (The most notable to me being that MGS3's opening is out of sync with the video)

The MGS collection is above average, but is far from a definitive release.

Especially considering how in Europe, the re-releases contained even more content than the other regions. MGS2: Substance came with The Document of MGS2, which had to be bought separately elsewhere, while MGS3: Subsistence had the third disc, which was a 3.5 hour movie based on the game's cutscenes, included as standard.

To be fair, most of the missing content is left out for good reasons. MGS2's skateboarding and MGS3's nightmare used entirely different engines, which would require almost as much work as MGS2 and 3 took to get up and running. Snake vs. Monkey uses a Sony-owned brand, which couldn't be used on the Xbox 360 release.

In addition, both MGS2 and 3 share a single disc on the 360, which limits how much extraneous content they could have used.

For the DMC collection, while there is no missing content, the lack of effort clearly shows. At minimum, I'd have liked the option to use DMC's original controls, and be able to reverse the X-axis on DMC3's camera. These could be patched in, but I can't see Capcom making the effort.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I am quite looking forward to this game, especially since that last trailer, which made Dante look much more interesting than his appearance in the original trailer.

As long as you aren't expecting Devil May Cry 5, which is filled in beautifully by Bayonetta, it looks like it will be a solid action game. As long as they understand what made DMC great in the first place, then at least using its good ideas will ensure that it will be competently handled. Although the same could be said for DMC2...

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

DMC.Org User submitted Interview with NT posted:

You can compare what DmC is in contrast to the previous 4 games with what Christopher Nolan’s Batman is in contrast to Adam West’s Batman from the 60’s.

"Nero, hand me that can of demon repellant!"

DMC.Org User submitted Interview with NT posted:

Dante can switch between 3 forms on the fly: Human, Angel and Demon.

Please don't tell me that there's going to be a 'moral choice' bar that's affected by this.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

notZaar posted:

Why do PC ports always get the shaft on release dates?

My guess is that it's to prevent the PC version from being leaked or cracked at release, allowing people to pirate it. By releasing the console version first, you have to buy it on a console in order to play it as soon as possible.

Not that this is a good system, seeing that the number of legitimate PC customers far outweigh the profit lost due to piracy. It shouldn't even be difficult to port, considering it's on the Unreal engine.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

A DMC sequel in the works? :crossarms:

2.5 years between games sounds pretty good, because it's similar to the rate that most PS2-era series would get sequels. This generation, a lot of series like Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy took years to release their first next-gen title, with the next one coming out near the end of the generation or even missing it altogether.

If a game is taking more than 3 years to develop, that's usually because of poor planning. However, I can't stand annual games, due to the minuscule improvements that they tend to bring. Resident Evil has been thoroughly milked over the past year, and I don't want to see that happening to other series as well.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

DMC: San Andreas

Jet Cry Radio

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Given some of Capcom's recent decisions, I'm just glad that we are getting a new Devil May Cry game. Compared to what Mega Man fans have to put up with, I'd prefer a new game, weird as it may be, over none at all.

When I play this, I'll just pretend that the character being called Dante is just a coincidence.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I bet that whoever's demonstrating that game is still fighting that boss.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

• Stinger and Million Stab (renamed "Trillion Stab" because obviously a Million isn't hip enough)

• To launch enemies you only have to hit (B) (on the Xbox), previous DMCs required you to hit multiple buttons (and it was smoother that way).
Taking out the lock-on button is going to change the feel of the game. It allowed you to elegantly perform a combo without having to worry about the direction of your attacks, and even used the targeting reticule to show you how much health the enemy has left. How are you supposed to fling an enemy up in the air and then keep them afloat with bullets when the guns refuse to lock on to the same enemy you're fighting?

Pesky Splinter posted:

• Pausing at certain points when the blade flashes will allow for a different combo
I'm somewhat relieved. Timing-based combos are back, which was one of the key elements lacking from DMC2.

Pesky Splinter posted:

• Angel/Demon pull thing is integral to combat.
Can it just be used to pull enemies towards you, or can it be used as an attack as well? Right now it looks like Nero's devil arm only a fraction as useful.

Pesky Splinter posted:

• "Why two dodge buttons?"

• "Well, I think if you're holding the angel or demon power, it's difficult to hit the opposite button to evade. It makes it so you can dodge comfortably, not matter what weapon you're using"
To be fair, I would have preferred if Bayonetta had the option to set dodge to the left trigger, so that I could lock on with the right bumper more easily. Is this because you have to hold the trigger to keep that form?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Balobam posted:

Come DmC's release I'm just going to get Vanquish and see how that goes.

Make sure you play the demo a few times before you start the actual game.

Once you understand how the game is meant to be played, you'll know how cover is practically unnecessary, how to detect and respond to enemy attacks, when to use melee attacks for devastating effect, and how throwing a grenade, boost-kicking into an enemy, ricocheting into the air and then shooting the grenade is totally loving awesome.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Balobam posted:

Still have yet to play Vanquish, have heard good things but just never got round to it.

Come DmC's release I'm just going to get Vanquish and see how that goes.

Here's a video that I recorded a long time ago in preparation for a Let's Play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGL1qWBFNAg

That's just from the second stage, which was used for the demo.

If you want to really enjoy Vanquish, you mustn't play it like Gears of War. I didn't spend any time in cover, because I can dodge rockets, and can also avoid most enemy fire by using the boost effectively.

When I do get round to recording the full Let's Play, I'll be recording using component video, I'll keep the custcenes and subtitles in and I'll be playing on hard mode. My only aim is to get more people to try this game out.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

notZaar posted:

This is awesome and I hope you finish this LP. Vanquish got a LP already but it's loving awful and you're pretty darn good at this game.

Thanks! Although I enjoyed their Shenmue LP, I couldn't get through the Tipping 40's Vanquish LP simply because of how bad they were. These sorts of games aren't fun to watch when the player doesn't know what they are doing.

User0015 posted:

I thought she finished it?

She took a break after Nero's section of the game to brush up her Dante skills.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Ninja Theory posted:

Tameem mentions how playtesters aren't noticing any problems with Dante.
Because Ninja Theory doesn't have any.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pressing both analogue sticks in to activate devil trigger was a terrible idea in God of War, and it always will be.

The only time you should have to do that is when you're poking someone's eyes out.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

drat it Pesky, whenever I see this thread updated I always hope it's some news that'll give me hope, and the opposite always happens. :sigh:

"Due to a manufacturing defect, all copies of DmC were mistakenly pressed with the contents of Bayonetta X Devil May Cry."

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I poo poo you not, if Bayonetta x Devil May Cry started off with the tutorial/duel mission from DMC4, except with Dante fighting the "Woman in Crazy Demon Hair Catsuit", it would have all my GOTYs, all the years.

And the dude that gets assassinated would be DmC Dante, rambling how he's the "real loving Dante"

drat, I had exactly the same idea, except it's occurring during an all-out war between heaven and hell. This is of little interest to the pair in the centre of the battlefield, whose fight involves a pizza being sliced an eaten in mid-air, bullets being deflected by a blown kiss, and a sword being sliced in half, only to reveal a bigger sword inside.

Then some kid walks towards them, and says "My name is Dant..." just before he is shot by both of them simultaneously.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Who says there won't be?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If they wanted to streamline the game, they should have given you four sets of weapons mapped to the d-pad.

The main difference would be that rather than equipping a devil arm and a gun seperately, they would be paired together. This would allow you to have access to all your weapons at once, without having to cycle through all of them using the triggers.

For example,

Up - Rebellion + Ebony & Ivory
Left - Ifrit + Shotgun
etc.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah, I see what you mean. The idea was to have a system that allowed you access to your whole moveset, without requiring the use of a menu. Basically, a comprimise between DMC3's huge number of weapons with DMC4 Dante's flexibility.

I'd prefer to take out styles altogether if there was a way to access all of its moves at once. It would save you from having to reach over to the d-pad, at least.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wish they'd release more info on the PC version. Literally all they've done is confirm one. And them getting to say that was like getting blood out of a stone.

Thankfully, Capcom has hired the experts behind Dark Souls' PC port to ensure that we all get an equal experience.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

I wonder sometimes if this is how MGS fans feel after seeing Revengeance...

Outside of Something Awful, everyone is anticipating DmC and whining about MGR Revengeance. We are not those people.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The PC version is really well optimised, since games made on Capcom's MT Framework engine are essentially developed as PC games, then ported to consoles/arcades.

I'm not sure what the minimum requirements for Legendary Dark Knight mode are, but if you buy a PC with components from the SH/SC then you're guaranteed to run it with every setting set to max.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I hate that my impression of this game is slowly going from "WHAT THE gently caress DID THEY DO" to "Maybe it won't be that bad..."

If you ever start to feel this way, just remind yourself what they did to Virgil.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The only thing I'm looking forward to in this game is Andy Serkis. His role as the villain in Heavenly Sword was the only thing that kept me going to the end.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

BlackFrost posted:

I'm just really disappointed that they're going with New Dante instead of Old Dante in Super PlayStation Smash Stars Brawl. I don't even really mind the new DmC game all that much, it's just the fact that Old Dante would have a lot more room for the developers to have fun. He has a rather large arsenal, and those lines imply that Old Dante was probably who they wanted to use.

Like, if I had never played Devil May Cry, and you told me you were making a goofy fighting game featuring all of PlayStation's all-stars, and you held up a picture and description of both Old and New Dante, I'd pick Old Dante to be in the game without even thinking.

One of the costumes for Raiden is his Metal Gear Solid 2 appearance, so there's a chance that you'll get to play as one of Dante's earlier appearances. They'll probably still use the same voice though.

So, which game had the best Dante? I'm partial to the first game's one, because I quite like his hairstyle and voice, but he's let down by being a bit too serious.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The worst thing about playing the demo was hearing the people behind me saying how much better it was than the original games. The same thing happened after watching a screening of Alien, and hearing how much better they thought the stupid, pretentious, completely-missing-the-point sequel was.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

C'mon man, you didn't just diss Aliens now? :colbert:

What's your opinion on the demo, That loving Sned? Yay, or nay?

Alien 3 was better.

Without lock-on, I found it difficult to keep the camera focused on enemies, especially when fighting a group of them. After DMC4 gave you three distinct setting to ensure you target the enemy you want, in addition to showing you the enemies' health in the targeting reticule, having it taken away just feels so inelegant. You end up just swatting away whichever enemy gets too close to you, and stringing together a combo just feels like too much work when you need to direct each of your attacks towards the enemy.

I beat the Slurm Queen by just using my Demon weapon over and over again. I tried using the dodge button to avoid her attacks, but it doesn't seem to grant you any invincibility frames, and she did so little damage that you could tank her attacks. The hookshot segments felt really unresponsive, but it was generous enough that I'd latch on just before I'd fall to my death.

Metal Gear Rising is the next true Devil May Cry game. Beating the boss in the demo was absolutely exhilarating, and by the end I was parrying every one of its attacks. I've pre-ordered the Metal Gear Rising limited edition, and DmC is going on my rental list for when I've got nothing better to play.

Edit: Fine, DmC is the Alien: Resurrection of the Devil May Cry series.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 1, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Also, wasn't there some thing about how NT was going to make the angels evil too or something? Or did I imagine that up in some dream?

I can think of a much better game that it might be ripping off...

Stygi posted:

So the dodge has little to no invulnerability frames? That's not good. Having to move out of an attack's hitbox to avoid damage wasn't fun in God of War and time has not sweetened it.

It took me a long time to realise that blocking is the only effective way of avoiding damage in the God of War games. You also get the Golden Fleece shortly into God of War II, which allows you to parry attacks with an extremely powerful counter. Devil May Cry does something similar with the Royal Guard style, but its timing is more strict and it needs to be equipped for you to block.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Which character is Andy Serkis playing in this game?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO72u1qTt14

"Take control of Dan-tee, as he fights against the demon lord Munn-dus and even his own brother, Vur-gill."

Rather than get angry at this video, I'd like to imagine what a Devil May Cry reboot could have done to revitalise the series. Each game so far has had a new setting, and a new take on Dante, although not quite as drastic as this one. What innovations to the combat does this game bring to the series? Is there anything that's entirely new to this game, or done in a much more elegant way than before?

Here's an idea that might have made combat a little more interesting. Imagine being able to attach a rubber band between yourself and an enemy. You could just fight normally, and it would prevent the enemy from keeping out of your reach, or you could use the band to swing the enemy around for an area-of-effect attack, or swing them right over your head for a massively powerful slam.

The way the elastic would work is that the faster the enemy is moving, the more damage your attacks would do to it. For example, you could smash the enemy away, the rubber band would send them flying back towards you and a well-timed stinger attack could kill them instantly.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing a sandbox type game with DMC mechanics in it, if we're talking about what hypothetical new things they could do. I struggling to think of actual combat things though.

Didn't Dragon's Dogma have a class whose moveset was inspired by Devil May Cry? I think it was made by the same people behind Devil May Cry.

You could also add the ability to hover in mid-air, although then the combat would be more reminiscent of Zone of the Enders. You could use a jetpack for both movement and attacking, such as the Jet ability in Kirby Super Star.

My point is, changing the visual style and dumbing down the mechanics is not a good way to keep a series fresh and interesting. There are still tons of new mechanics that could fit in the series' classic gameplay.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

You know, the gameplay doesn't look so bad in this one. If it wasn't calling itself Devil May Cry, it would be a pretty decent action game.

The auto lock-on is still terrible. At one point, he uses the move where he twirls the scythe vertically, and the enemy standing just a few degrees to the side is missed completely. Having lock-on not only keeps the enemy on screen, it also directs all your attacks towards it.

They could have picked a voice actor who didn't sound like he's just reading from the script for the first time. For the supposedly badass, punk-rocker vibe they tried to have in this game, it doesn't really work if he's always talking like :geno:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ximum posted:

Really, the whole game seems way too easy right now. I never once felt threatened, and conversely I never felt like I was given a chance to unleash my full potential either. If the challenge ramps up, it might be a decently enjoyable game.

The Metal Gear Rising demo really demands that you master the counter mechanic to stand a chance against the boss. It was probably one of the most satisfying demos I've ever played.

Oddly enough, this demo is actually a little shorter than the one I played at Eurogamer Expo, because you don't finish off the Slurm Queen. Really, the only bit you're missing is a long chain of Angel/Demon grabs, turning them into this game's equivalent to quick time events.

Did anyone else notice the sound cutting out on the PS3 demo? It would just be for a second or two when you enter a new area, but it makes the game seem a little unpolished.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'd love to see a game using the artwork of H.R.Giger. That isn't Darkseed, I mean.

Edit: I'm finding New Dante really fun to play in All-Stars, which is helped by the fact that he controls almost exactly like he does in this game, although with Square and Triangle swapped.

I also followed skywalker6705's advice and changed the control scheme, which made playing the demo on Sons of Sparda difficulty more enjoyable.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 23, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

GUI posted:

To be honest it's not hard to dislike DMC4 when over half of the levels and bosses were recycled from the first half of the game.

Because if there's one thing DMC players hate, it's playing through the same levels but with substantially different weapons and abilities.

It's not as if they made you backtrack as Nero, the levels were basically just wallpaper for the enemy encounters. You could also look at it like Devil May Cry 2 Resident Evil 2, where you play through the game once with each character.

Edit:

Pesky Splinter posted:

At first, I wasn't too keen on the visual style, but it's rather grown on me somewhat - the backgrounds and everything show that's where NT really shine. And some of it is plain loving gorgeous. The story and gameplay, I'm gonna have to disagree with you on.

Teal and orange is the new brown and gunmetal grey.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Playing the first and third games again reminded me that it's possible for an environment to feel oppressive and unwelcoming without needing to write "gently caress YOU" on the walls.

• Locked thread