Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Even the original wasn't a bad game, just nowhere near the pantheon of Platinum titles or 3&4. By the sounds of it they made a lot of changes that made the game super unfun at higher levels (attacks bouncing off colour coded enemies can go straight to hell), so for 40 bucks I say go for it. Combos are easy as hell to do, but still fun to pull off.

Just try not to think too hard at the cutscenes/dialogue. Even by video game standards it's painfully bad (seriously, how do you screw up female characters worse than in 4?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm guessing that Vergil will act like in 3 Special Edition, since by the sound of it they kept his teleport-swords from the reboot DLC and that sounds like it could translate really easily into Nero's grab things (I seem to remember them being called Grim Grips for some reason). Although the question is are there seperate campaigns for Nero/Dante, Lady/Trish and Vergil or do you just select a character based on chapter and split proud souls between everyone like how Nero/Dante worked? I seriously hope the latter, because getting a full health bar in 4 was a bitch and I have bad memories of some of the secret missions with Vergil in 3 Special Edition (that loving railcart).

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
So I've noticed that Vergil's Downfall is only about 8 bucks on Xbox Live; is it worth getting if I liked the game enough to play the base game over on Son of Sparda mode? Keep in mind that it will probably be quite some time until I can get a PS4 or gaming PC and the Definitive Edition or Special Edition of 4 (which looks so good. I'm glad Capcom was cool enough to take some ideas from Downfall and throw them into Vergil's repitoire- stuff like the teleport swords and alt combos look neat. I just hope they keep the just release stuff, those looked cool as hell).

e: assume I'll be skipping all cutscenes like I'm allergic to narrative. I've seen those already and it's, well it's up to the standards of the base game alright.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 12, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Polygon's also got twenty mintues of Vergil gameplay that's a touch better played and in much higher quality than the eight minute thing we got earlier. It goes through some early bloody palace and also mission 2 on Devil Hunter mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sazH0YIWXmY

e: it just dawned on me that after all these years I'll finally get that Vergil vs Dante fight that DMC3SE sidestepped. I am hella motivated right now.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 22, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Here is the full version of that footage Pesky Splinter uploaded, featuring more stuff for Trish and a bunch of neat stuff for Vergil.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Oh yeah, didn't the pc version have quirks for super mode that the console versions didn't, like Nero getting insta-revs automatically? I hope they keep those, my poor 360 using self would love to toy around with those (though that precludes me beating Dante Must Die mode, Berial gives me more trouble than any other boss rather consistantly and I don't know why :saddowns:).

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 24, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Also it has been confirmed that PC style super Nero/Dante is a go (ie automatic MAX-acts, always full royal guard and pandora meters). That more than anything clinches my purchase, I'm going to enjoy this on LDK mode and hopefully it means similar things for other characters (my body may not be ready for Vergil with pernament max concentration).

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I do like how they're taking ideas from DmC for special edition though (in terms of Vergil's moveset: his basic and aerial combos for Yamato are straight out of DmC, as well as the Just Charged judgement cut and summon-sword teleport). It shows a lot of genuine class and if both series end up going forward it could be neat to see them learn from each other.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
New character stream, this time with Trish (the simplified character thing means that like Nero she has all of her tools on hand at all times without weapon switching, each assigned to a button). She looks pretty fun to play as, I imagine she could just wreck LDK mode.
Worth watching for electric breakdancing and Maximum Overdrive.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 8, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Lady Stream, the moveset is in this video but a bit later.She looks super fun, like a weird mix between Nero (in that remapping shoot to a shoulder button is a necessity) and Gunslinger Style. This game is going to be so neat, holy poo poo.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
From what I remember, the anime is only worth seeing dubbed because Reuben Langdon is the one person in the entire production who remembers that the series is supposed to be fun .

e: and the Nero cutscenes are worth watching to see him go from adequate but punk to a legitimate coolguy. If nothing else the cutscenes in the final mission are great and purestrain DMC. :colbert:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

darealkooky posted:

I've found two other uses for vergil's concentration meter beyond more damage and bigger judgement cuts

when the meter is maxed his beowulf moves get a third level of charging (level 3 just charge and distorted uppercut is hilarious) and if you let him put his katana away all summoned swords embedded in enemies instantly explode

I'm pretty sure it gives a pretty big buff to hitboxes/range too, some of his Yamato strikes with max concentration cover an absurd amount of distance and width.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
From what I can tell most people who actively dislike Bayonetta 2 are the ones who played the bejeezus out of Bayonetta and mastered it. Which is good for me because I kind of got hung up on the first games' faults.

Also the Lumen Sage owns, you just have to learn how to dance around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
So it turns out that at max concentration you can get three levels of charge off of Beowulf. Now if you distort and just release them the results are pretty nuts. That's not even his uppercut, that's just the first attack of his standard combo. :catstare:

• Locked thread