Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Did anyone else like each subsequent Hobbit movie more than the last? I didn't love them but I had more fun by the third one. It finally hit the right level of dumb that I enjoy. The puppet-ghost fight, the heffalump nightmare, house-head troll, these things I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Maybe you didn't watch the video the quotes are from? Right after saying that, he talks about putting the movie on hold until he was better prepared.

Nope I just read the article, which apparently paints the exact opposite picture as the video. I wasn't making any further statement beyond saying that you got what he said wrong though; like I said, besides the third movie I thought the Hobbit trilogy was pretty okay. It's pretty disingenuous of the article to take "It was impossible, and as a result of it being impossible I just started shooting the movie with most of it not prepped at all." out of context of some second line saying that he didn't do that and delayed it instead, or whatever actually happened! Did he start shooting, go "wait this is dumb", then delay it after all then, or just for the third movie like got mentioned?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hbomberguy posted:

Maybe you didn't watch the video the quotes are from? Right after saying that, he talks about putting the movie on hold until he was better prepared.

You've taken a person saying "things didn't feel right, so I delayed the movie and took my time deciding what I wanted to do and make the film the way I thought was right", and appear to have misread it as "things didn't feel right and so I did a bad job and did nothing to stop this".

The guy made Dead-Alive. Give him some credit.

I'm now willing to blame WB for the terrible end result rather than Jackson himself.

He has gained points. Be happy with the point allocation. There will be no further reallocation of points.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

WB would only be to blame if the films were bad, when they are not.

RBA Starblade posted:

Did he start shooting, go "wait this is dumb", then delay it after all then, or just for the third movie like got mentioned?
He decided the biggest scene (the actual battle of five armies) needed more planning and delayed the shooting until he was ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkygZdZ_Vk
This video has itself been cut down a little to reinforce the idea that the production was a dreary horrifying mess, removing literally over two hours of Peter Jackson and co. having a wild fuckin' ride. But guess what, being a director is also stressful as poo poo. Directors constantly wish they had more prep time, more time to think, etc - some of it smacks of the sort of struggles Ridley Scott had on his sets, for example. But no-one trots out choice parts of On The Edge of Blade Runner and titles it 'The Problem with Blade Runner', because that movie came out before the internet did people's thinking for them.

The production was more of a rush than LOTR - but it's important to keep in mind that almost every production on every film is a rush compared to LOTR. These facts don't affect the final films, which are perfectly good fantasy pictures that happen to be very different from the original movies.

They are like Gremlins 2 to LOTR's Gremlins. They're not more of the same like you might have wanted - and are explicitly reacting to that concept of wanting more, focusing on the slow but inevitable corruption of a dude who wanted infinite gold.

Incidentally Gremlins 2 is one of the greatest films ever made, and rife with anticapitalist imagery. Like the Hobbit, it is a live action cartoon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

quote:

...focusing on the slow but inevitable corruption of a dude who wanted infinite gold.

Wait, are we talking about Peter Jackson here?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Surlaw posted:

Did anyone else like each subsequent Hobbit movie more than the last? I didn't love them but I had more fun by the third one. It finally hit the right level of dumb that I enjoy. The puppet-ghost fight, the heffalump nightmare, house-head troll, these things I like.

I had the opposite experience. I really enjoyed 1 and felt it had the most heart and charm. 2 was decent, and 3 just kinda felt obligatory to me.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Hbomberguy posted:

The production was more of a rush than LOTR - but it's important to keep in mind that almost every production on every film is a rush compared to LOTR. These facts don't affect the final films, which are perfectly good fantasy pictures that happen to be very different from the original movies.

You're forgetting the part where he said the opposite of this. He didn't trash The Hobbit films altogether while admitting he wasn't on top of it and that it could have been better. The truth is in the middle, friend. Oh, Hbomberguy. :allears:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The worst part of the movies for me was all the Laketown "politics" (as much as I like Stephen Fry). It just felt too serious and out of place in a whimsical adventure. By the third movie you have 5 minute long scenes with none of the principle characters, just bickering between Laketown folk, and you have glorified extras giving the speeches of their life like they think they're in a Game of Thrones episode. "drat you, Alfred Lickspittle!" and all that poo poo, ugh.

All this was in detriment to actually featuring the titular Hobbit and the company of dwarves. Jackson should have sat back and thought, for every instance when Bilbo, dwarves, dragon or Gandalf aren't on screen, "Do we really need this loving scene?"

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I thought Alfred was funny. I'm the worst Hobbit Watcher.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Surlaw posted:

I thought Alfred was funny. I'm the worst Hobbit Watcher.

I hated Gollum.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rankin Bass wins again!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hedrigall posted:

The worst part of the movies for me was all the Laketown "politics" (as much as I like Stephen Fry). It just felt too serious and out of place in a whimsical adventure. By the third movie you have 5 minute long scenes with none of the principle characters, just bickering between Laketown folk, and you have glorified extras giving the speeches of their life like they think they're in a Game of Thrones episode. "drat you, Alfred Lickspittle!" and all that poo poo, ugh.

All this was in detriment to actually featuring the titular Hobbit and the company of dwarves. Jackson should have sat back and thought, for every instance when Bilbo, dwarves, dragon or Gandalf aren't on screen, "Do we really need this loving scene?"

Careful now, without all that crap that no one cares about, #3 is like a 55-minute long movie.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hedrigall posted:

Tolkien probably should have too since the dragon was killed entirely off screen (for the dwarves) in the book.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They hardly do anything off-screen in movies nowadays. Why would you, when you can just render it?

Leaving things to the imagination is so unfashionable.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Careful now, without all that crap that no one cares about, #3 is like a 55-minute long movie.

They really didn't need three films to tell this story.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Which is why it's good that films are not comprised solely of story!

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The biggest positive to getting the movies done RIGHT NOW is that at least we got to see Christopher Lee one final time. :smith:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
CGI Dain................................................... :haw:

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Hedrigall posted:

I'm happy the Hobbit trilogy exists way more for the fact that it was a production, than I do about the end results. I'm absolutely thrilled by the cumulative 30 hours of all-access we get to Jackson, Stone Street Studios, Weta, and all the actors and other crew, across the three bluray sets. It's loving heaven for people who are really nerdy about film production. The fact that I now own those blu-rays and can delve into all that stuff makes the three rather silly movies' existence worth it.

There are so many scenes that are really dumb on the screen, like everything in Laketown (actually, just everything in the third film), but I don't care how ridiculous it is, because watching hours of behind the scenes on the Laketown set is pure joy.

Why do you want to watch 30 hours about a film series you don't like.

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Because film production is fascinating.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maarak posted:

Why do you want to watch 30 hours about a film series you don't like.

I've watched the making of the LotR films more than I've watched the films themselves.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Who else had a lot of memories of back in there high school days combing through The Lord of the Rings EE DVD extras?

Those were amazing. Too bad those appendices weren't also in HD in the Blu-ray re-release.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The Costa Botes documentaries that appeared out of the depths of rights issues on the "Limited Extended Editions" are also fun to watch as they show the daily day-to-day slog on set. It's the complete inverse of the main DVD docos. Apparently the more candid nature of Costa's docos made New Line at the time hold back a bit from releasing them as they don't shy away from being a fly on the wall to people having little spats.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Immortan posted:

You're forgetting the part where he said the opposite of this.
Who is 'he'? Jackson? The post you're quoting doesn't ascribe anything to Jackson. I said that stuff.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Hbomberguy posted:

Who is 'he'? Jackson? The post you're quoting doesn't ascribe anything to Jackson. I said that stuff.

Yes. No. No.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I picked up the Blu-Ray Extended Trilogy box and I'm really kinda disappointed at how lazy it is compared to the LotR set.

Each movie comes with 3 discs instead of 5. The movies fit on a single Blu-Ray each, which I'm guessing is due to the presence of only a single audio commentary track (I heard that the only reason the LotR EEs were on 2 Blu-Rays each was due to having 4 commentary tracks?). 2 Appendices discs per film, and no documentary.

Oh, and the Hobbit films don't come with the cool little paper chapter guides and Appendix tables of contents.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 29, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I remember when rotk ee came out you could order an empty "trilogy box" for 3bux to put all your extended edition dvds in. Are they offering such a thing this time around for the hobbit ee's?

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 29, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Having seen the EE of TBotFA, I would say it's less of an improvement than the EE of DoS was to that film, but still an improvement. The film feels more finished and polished, for example, certain story hanging threads get better resolved (ie Alfrid's fate and Thorin's funeral) and CGI Billy Connolly looks better (or maybe it's just that I'm seeing it on a smaller screen). But for the most part the extra scenes didn't add much to the story. But it did add a lot of cool action scenes and a lot of funny character moments during the battle. It's too bad this isn't the version we got in theaters. Then again I've said that for every EE version of all six films.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 29, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jivjov posted:

Each movie comes with 3 discs instead of 5. The movies fit on a single Blu-Ray each, which I'm guessing is due to the presence of only a single audio commentary track (I heard that the only reason the LotR EEs were on 2 Blu-Rays each was due to having 4 commentary tracks?). 2 Appendices discs per film, and no documentary.

From what I remember only ROTK actually *needed* to be on two discs, and the other two films were on two discs just to keep it the same.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

computer parts posted:

From what I remember only ROTK actually *needed* to be on two discs, and the other two films were on two discs just to keep it the same.

You are just making stuff up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Blu Rays can hold more than 4 hours of 1080p footage.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Does the EEs come with awesome figurines like the LoTR ones?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

THE BAR posted:

Does the EEs come with awesome figurines like the LoTR ones?
I think these are the things closest to them:
http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Unexpected-Journey-Extended-Exclusive/dp/B00EAZTONU/
http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Desolation-Smaug-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B00HWWUQXU/ (not sure if this one is an EE)
http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Extended-Figurine-Exclusive-Blu-ray/dp/B015GKSXDE/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The dwarf bookends are pretty neat!

• Locked thread