Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Rad as heck. The Dwarven singing was much better than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Uhhh everything looked really goofy and over the top.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is one goddamn gorgeous looking movie.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Uhhh everything looked really goofy and over the top.

Obligatory "It's a children's book" reply.

Petra Arkanian
May 9, 2007
I would never lie, I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation

GonSmithe posted:

Wow, what a fantastic trailer. The song was really beautiful, it set the mood really well, and got me loving stoked to see the film.

Can't wait.

I completely agree with you about the singing. I was expecting a really light, kind of fluffy trailer with adventure and whatnot, like at the beginning. The song really gave it the gravitas it deserved. I was so impressed with that.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Uuuuuuuugh, a whole year :negative:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Pretty nice trailer. I'm guessing that they're not actually going to show Smaug until the second film, so that we can build him up as a menace ala Sauron but without the constant "I'm an eye, what's up with that?" reminders.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Petra Arkanian posted:

I completely agree with you about the singing. I was expecting a really light, kind of fluffy trailer with adventure and whatnot, like at the beginning. The song really gave it the gravitas it deserved. I was so impressed with that.

I'm one of those people who loathe all the songs and limericks present in LOTR and the Hobbit and I was still really impressed with the incorporation of that into the trailer.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Jesus, that song was so good I kinda want them to be singing all the time now.

If there was ever any worry the songs would make the film cheesy, I think that one can be pretty much put to rest :stare:

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

There is not a :stare: big enough OH GOD I CAN'T WAIT A WHOLE YEAR

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Medical posted:

So when these make a billion dollars, what fantasy properties will Hollywood greenlight to try and cash in?

Xanth and the Sword of Shannara (since it's the exact same book)

Trailer looks awesome!

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

The songs were incredible but the trailer's tone was really flip-flopping.
Peter Jackson has the difficult job of keeping The Hobbit light enough to reflect its origins and entice younger viewers, but also dark enough to appeal to the older fans of the Lord of the Rings.

It was just a tad off-putting to see a dwarf break a chair from being fat to bumbling music, followed immediately by Richard Armitage murmuring about the deadly nature of the journey.

I hope the balance is better in the actual film =) I'm optimistic.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Wow that was amazing, it looks like a perfect match to the LOTR movies. I am so goddamn stoked right now.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Dwarven song was pretty well done, but I sort of agree with the poster that said it was a bit goofier than LOTR (as befits the source material I suppose). Look at the set at 1:29, that looks quite fake.

At 0:50 on the right of the frame there is a guy who looks nothing like the dwarves, he is also a fair bit taller.

Do we know How the movies will be split?

Vira
Mar 6, 2007
Okay, I really like the camera effect but it's going to take some getting used to. It really does look silky.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Jesus, that song was so good I kinda want them to be singing all the time now.

If there was ever any worry the songs would make the film cheesy, I think that one can be pretty much put to rest :stare:

Like so many others, I always felt put-off by the songs in the Hobbit and Lords of the Rings, mainly because I could never know what tune they were intended to be sung to, and of course the whole "Oh God, who really breaks into song in the middle of a conversation?" thing, but that was a really nice rendition.

I'm not a huge fan of some of the decisions Jackson made with the trilogy, especially in the final film, but this looks pretty great. I'll definitely go see this on the big screen.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vira posted:

Okay, I really like the camera effect but it's going to take some getting used to. It really does look silky.

What?
This trailer isn't at 48 frames.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

What?

Someone mentioned earlier that Jackson was talking about how they got a silkier overall look by converting it from 48 to 24, as well as the way they shot it.

Vira
Mar 6, 2007

kanonvandekempen posted:

Dwarven song was pretty well done, but I sort of agree with the poster that said it was a bit goofier than LOTR (as befits the source material I suppose). Look at the set at 1:29, that looks quite fake.

At 0:50 on the right of the frame there is a guy who looks nothing like the dwarves, he is also a fair bit taller.

Do we know How the movies will be split?

At 50 seconds I think that's kili. Hes standing and also looked a bit more normal then the others in his introduction.

Though I am sort of wondering why the dwarf at 1:06 looks like cgi.

Vira
Mar 6, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

What?

You can easily see it in the shot of them eating at the table or Bilbo leaping over the fence.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

Vira posted:

You can easily see it in the shot of them eating at the table or Bilbo leaping over the fence.

Please elaborate on how it can be easily seen. I just watched it six times and it looks absolutely normal to me. You're talking about the scenes starting at around 2:02 right?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Yeah I didn't notice poo poo which is totally awesome for me because my only fear was being distracted as hell watching this movie (well at least the home video versions.) I've never seen a modern 3D movie in theaters so it will probably be distracting for me no matter what frame rate it is shot in.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I predicted in around 2001 that eventually a Hobbit movie will gross more than any of the other LOTR movies.. I still feel confident in that assessment.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ughugh :gizz: The trailer was awesome. I love how vibrant and saturated everything looks. Can't wait to see it in all it's IMAX 3D 48fps glory.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

I really wish I could watch this in 3D, but my left eye is so horrible.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
I can't believe we have to wait a whole feckin' year.

Oh, Lord. THE PAIN!

That trailer -- especially the dwarf song -- was AWESOME.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

This is exactly how I imagined it would be. It's beautiful.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Edit- Didn't realize it was in two parts when I made the post, nevermind!

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

I've never watched/read the Lord of the Rings but I did wear the poo poo out of my Rankin Bass Hobbit tape when I was little so I'm in. Also Martin Freeman :swoon:

Vira
Mar 6, 2007

gizmojumpjet posted:

Please elaborate on how it can be easily seen. I just watched it six times and it looks absolutely normal to me. You're talking about the scenes starting at around 2:02 right?

It probably has to do with that soft motion blur, but yeah, I'm not sure I can depict all the subtleties of the image and scene that give that shot a sheen but I really don't think it looks typical. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, I just think it's apparent.

Vira fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 21, 2011

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Clumsy Card House posted:

I've never watched the Lord of the Rings

The gently caress is wrong with you? Do it now.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh my god gently caress YES.

The only thing - the ONLY thing - bad about this is that Peter Jackson's already done The Lord of the Rings, so I don't have that to look forward to once The Hobbit is finished.

I don't know enough about music to explain why, but the dwarves's song fits perfectly with their art direction from the movies - it sounds angular, ancient, and carved out of the living rock.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I can be a hundred percent safe in saying that the trailer is not being shown in 48 frames per second. In fact it's not being shown in 24 frames per second either, so please stop making stupid arguments.

edit: In case you don't get what that link means, your computer monitor also displays in 60 hz.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fayez Butts posted:

I can be a hundred percent safe in saying that the trailer is not being shown in 48 frames per second. In fact it's not being shown in 24 frames per second either, so please stop making stupid arguments.

Nobody said it was playing at 48 fps. People are just talking about the effect of downconverting it from 48.

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

The songs was one of my biggest worries but that sounded great, and also it looks fantastic.

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Phy posted:

I don't know enough about music to explain why, but the dwarves's song fits perfectly with their art direction from the movies - it sounds angular, ancient, and carved out of the living rock.

It's basically a Gregorian chant.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
A lot of people apparently worried about the songs prior to this trailer?

Never in doubt for me. Howard Shore knows what the gently caress he's doing, y'all. That song was awesome.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Holy christ, this looks amazing. I watched it in 3D, and even though the theater's lovely 3D system *they use Technicolor, not RealD* the work that Pete has been doing to make this movie look great in 3D and the new fps really shown through. It looks beautiful projected at 24fps.

The song was amazing as well, and I like how it went from them singing to the song used to carry the rest of the trailer (and towards the end, it sounded like an old LOTR melody worked it's way in)

A perfect trailer, especially for one a year away from the release.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Quint has a new installment in his on-set series over at Ain't It Cool News.

Once again a great read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
As I understand it The Hobbit is a single book and the movie is split into two parts. Is it known where the first movie will end and the second to begin? And where in the books this would be at? (I'm only 6 chapters into it so far and loving it.)

• Locked thread