Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Digital Jedi posted:

As I understand it The Hobbit is a single book and the movie is split into two parts. Is it known where the first movie will end and the second to begin? And where in the books this would be at? (I'm only 6 chapters into it so far and loving it.)

The split hasn't been announced yet (I assume it will be somewhere where they can get a good "cliffhanger") and they will be adding stuff from the Appendices of Lord of the Rings to flesh out the story for two films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
If I had to guess it would be after the barrel scene (I'm keeping things vague here so I don't ruin it for people still reading the book).

I read somewhere that they stop right after 'Bilbo's attitude towards the dwarves changes', and that scene is the first time where Bilbo tells the dwarves what to do instead of being a passive traveller.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

kanonvandekempen posted:

If I had to guess it would be after the barrel scene (I'm keeping things vague here so I don't ruin it for people still reading the book).

I read somewhere that they stop right after 'Bilbo's attitude towards the dwarves changes', and that scene is the first time where Bilbo tells the dwarves what to do instead of being a passive traveller.

Hmm, interesting. I figured they would make the split well before the barrel sequence. To me, I always felt like the "midpoint" of the novel was basically the time they spend with Beorn, after they cross the Misty Mountains and before they enter Mirkwood. In the book, there's quite a bit of suspense prior to entering Mirkwood, and it's also the point at which Gandalf leaves them to go take care of some other poo poo (possible movie spoilers) that other poo poo being his leaving to meet up with the White Council and overthrow The Necromancer, AKA Sauron. Putting the dividing point here would also let them open the second film with a nice double-narrative. So I sort of figure that there's enough tension right there at the edge of Mirkwood to create a great cliffhanger, and it strikes me as a very natural dividing point in the text.

I think going all the way to the end of Mirkwood would be awful, because it would mean that the second film would probably focus WAY too much on boring battle sequences. And that's my deepest fear about these films, because I felt that the parts 2 and 3 of the LotR films were almost ruined by excessive and overdone war sequences.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Boz0r posted:

Is there anywhere you can download some 48fps footage so we can see how it'll look?

http://hdcam.web-pda.info/

There should be some nice examples there. Keep in mind these are raw files.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
Oh poo poo, I didn't know Mark Hadlow (Dori) was in this, I'm gonna have to ask him about it next time he comes into the deli where I work :D

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

kaworu posted:

I think going all the way to the end of Mirkwood would be awful, because it would mean that the second film would probably focus WAY too much on boring battle sequences. And that's my deepest fear about these films, because I felt that the parts 2 and 3 of the LotR films were almost ruined by excessive and overdone war sequences.

If you look at the cast list they have casted roles like Thror, Thrain and Azog, so it seems they will be showing some non-hobbit stuff as well, this is from the appendices to the lord of the rings.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
We need some motherfucking gifs! Wanna see that quick shot of the dwarves tossing plates around while Bombur bops in his chair, over and over for all eternity.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Oh my loving God the singing.

I can't believe they pulled it off.

Who was that dueling with Gandalf in the ruins around 1:57?

I can't believe they got me that stoked without a shot of the spiders or the drat dragon. I'm very impressed.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Nilbop posted:

Oh my loving God the singing.

I can't believe they pulled it off.

Who was that dueling with Gandalf in the ruins around 1:57?

I can't believe they got me that stoked without a shot of the spiders or the drat dragon. I'm very impressed.

Those ruins Gandalf is exploring would appear to be Dol Guldur, and that thing that he is fighting is actually very intriguing - I initially assumed it was just some sort of Orc but if you step frame-by-frame you can see that it appears to have a long bushy beard, which is not very orc-like. It also seems to be a bit tougher than regular Orcs for it to be giving Gandalf that much grief. Fascinating indeed.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Those ruins Gandalf is exploring would appear to be Dol Guldur, and that thing that he is fighting is actually very intriguing - I initially assumed it was just some sort of Orc but if you step frame-by-frame you can see that it appears to have a long bushy beard, which is not very orc-like. It also seems to be a bit tougher than regular Orcs for it to be giving Gandalf that much grief. Fascinating indeed.

I'm guessing this could be a scene towards the beginning of the movie detailing how Gandalf found Thorin's father in Dol Goldur and got the map and key from him.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The trailer was pretty low key. But then, the movie is going to be pretty drat low key if they are only covering the first half of the hobbit. If they could do the fellowship of the ring in a single movie they should be able to do the Hobbit in a (shorter) movie.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That trailer is fantastic, The Hobbit is now at the top of my must-see movie list for 2012.

Hedrigall posted:

We need some motherfucking gifs! Wanna see that quick shot of the dwarves tossing plates around while Bombur bops in his chair, over and over for all eternity.
The plate flip and catch is great. And if that's how they clean a table I can't wait to see the dwarves in combat.

It's funny to see spoilered text regarding a book that came out over 75 years ago. If you're looking at this thread and haven't read the book go get it and remedy that. Now!

live nudes
Jun 17, 2004

we like to watch
I'm a little worried about how rubbery the dwarf makeup looked, but other than that, I got chills. This was one of my favorite books as a kid, and I have full faith in PJ and company to nail it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Binary Logic posted:

It's funny to see spoilered text regarding a book that came out over 75 years ago. If you're looking at this thread and haven't read the book go get it and remedy that. Now!

I concur. Everyone should get this edition:

It's an adorable-as-gently caress little hardcover about 5 inches tall that you can carry around in your pocket and whip out to read. :3:

The section of the cover that has the "pocket edition" and the big yellow circle, is a wrap-around thing that you can take off — the regular Hobbit dust jacket is underneath. And the maps are inside the front (Thrain's map) and back (geographical map) covers :3:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 21, 2011

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Amethyst posted:

The trailer was pretty low key. But then, the movie is going to be pretty drat low key if they are only covering the first half of the hobbit. If they could do the fellowship of the ring in a single movie they should be able to do the Hobbit in a (shorter) movie.

As has been continually stated, it isn't just material from "The Hobbit" that is being filmed. A lot of stuff from the appendices of Lord of the Rings, which fills in several gaps in the narrative (specifically those that involve Gandalf's constant disappearing act) are in there, too.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

I've just been frame-stepping through the 1080 version of the trailer and actually noticed you get a clear shot at one of the Stone Troll's faces:

It's interesting to see how this obviously shares DNA with the LotR Cave Troll, but seems a bit more human-like.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Anyone have a screenshot of the stone trolls from Fellowship? Would be interesting to see how close in design they match.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Teek posted:

Anyone have a screenshot of the stone trolls from Fellowship? Would be interesting to see how close in design they match.

The best image is from Weta's collectible version:
http://www.wetanz.com/assets/Uploads/LOTRenviro3trollslrg.jpg

The nose has changed the most, and the eyes are now more :downs:, but I think it's close enough.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I've just been frame-stepping through the 1080 version of the trailer and actually noticed you get a clear shot at one of the Stone Troll's faces:

It's interesting to see how this obviously shares DNA with the LotR Cave Troll, but seems a bit more human-like.

I think that's Michael Berryman.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Remember that Bilbo is an unreliable narrator which explains away any and all differences between how things look and act in the Hobbit and LOTR.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Oh my. I could listen to that song on repeat for the rest of the day and not worry about anything else. I can't believe we have to wait a god damned YEAR.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Holy poo poo, I've just realised who Gandalf is fighting at 1:57, and it's pretty awesome

It has to be the Dwarven king Thráin II, who has been clearly driven mad both by his imprisonment in Dol Guldur, and the fact that he wielded one of Sauron's rings. His crusty appearance again shows the corrupting power of Sauron's rings

It explains the hair, beard, regal-ish clothes and the fact that he's a short-arse.

EDIT: oops, just realised that Viridiant basically guessed the same severl posts above me!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 21, 2011

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That's pretty awesome if true, and much more interesting any explanation than I was thinking.

keep punching joe posted:

Remember that Bilbo is an unreliable narrator which explains away any and all differences between how things look and act in the Hobbit and LOTR.

This is exactly what Bilbo's dialogue at the beginning of the trailer is implying. I also hope they never go and replace the young Bilbo scene in LOTR for the same reasons: it could be read as his subjective flashback, and he's placing (a younger version of) his current self in the role.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes

Holy poo poo, I've just realised who Gandalf is fighting at 1:57, and it's pretty awesome

It has to be the Dwarven king Thráin II, who has been clearly driven mad both by his imprisonment in Dol Guldur, and the fact that he wielded one of Sauron's rings. His crusty appearance again shows the corrupting power of Sauron's rings

It explains the hair, beard, regal-ish clothes and the fact that he's a short-arse.

EDIT: oops, just realised that Viridiant basically guessed the same severl posts above me!

That would be unexpected and totally rad if true.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I literally teared up listening to the Dwarves sing half way through.

Dwalin looks cool as poo poo and all the Dwarfs look pretty how how I pictured them. I'm probably going to watch this trailer 6-7 times today.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The song's perfect. The movie looks like LOTR.

Works for me.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It is a weird day at work to walk in and hear high-level executives singing a Dwarven song while getting coffee.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I wonder if any of Del Toro's concepts carried over when Jackson took over the reigns. Del Toro was really really hyping up his concept of Smaug and I'm curious what he had planned.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

the Bunt posted:

I wonder if any of Del Toro's concepts carried over when Jackson took over the reigns. Del Toro was really really hyping up his concept of Smaug and I'm curious what he had planned.

Same here. Del Toro said they were doing Smaug at least partially with practical effects and that they were built and looked amazing. I'm wondering if Jackson scratched all that or not.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I ripped the dwarven singing and am giving all my fellow goons access to the tracks. One has an ending dialogue attached to it, the other has it without.

http://soundcloud.com/abnegatus

If this doesn't let you download, just shoot me to another audio hosting site and I'll upload it there.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's what others are saying about the trailer...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/the-hobbit-unexpected-journey-trailer-reactions-review-275882p

94 images from the trailer...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/94-Images-From-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey-Trailer-28465.html

10 things we learned...

http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/10-things-we-learned-from-the-hobbit-trailer

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

That's a pretty abysmal article. "Gandalf goes to Moria!" "They battle giants!" "Gandalf-Galadriel sex scene!"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Peter Jackson on Facebook posted:

Hi everyone! This year is the tenth anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring, and we wanted to give the fans a Christmas treat ahead of the release of the two Hobbit movies in Dec 2012 and 2013. Stay tuned for more. Cheers!

Anyone have any idea what this is about? It was posted well after the trailer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have nothing new to add to this thread other than holy poo poo this is actually going to get made after all. Interesting that they're splitting it into two films though if they plan on cramming a bunch of LotR backstory into them then it seems like a sound choice. On its own The Hobbit wasn't any longer than any of the individual LotR books, was it?

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

C-Euro posted:

I have nothing new to add to this thread other than holy poo poo this is actually going to get made after all. Interesting that they're splitting it into two films though if they plan on cramming a bunch of LotR backstory into them then it seems like a sound choice. On its own The Hobbit wasn't any longer than any of the individual LotR books, was it?

No, it is significantly shorter. You can finish the Hobbit in an afternoon.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

It's a decent sized book, shorter than the others but it's a quick read, is less wordy, less indulgent/hemingway-ish- overall more geared toward children. On the other hand, they also cut out plenty of stuff in the LOTR adaptations so who knows. It's coming up on 15 years or so since I last read The Hobbit, so I can't say for sure if more stuff happens explicitly.

I'm sure the trilogy would have been six movies (which is actually how the books are split up, it's actually six 'books' all together, iirc?) if the studio wasn't already taking a big chance at the time, "fantasy" movies were pretty much a joke back then.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Here's to the longest year ever, god damnit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It did have some epic poo poo though, like Smaug and the battle of five armies.

A 5 minute Silmarillion intro would be super epic, but I doubt it will happen since it looks like the movie will be framed by Bilbo talking to Frodo.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 21, 2011

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

[*]Benedict Cumberbatch, who is voicing two major villains - both the dragon Smaug, and The Necromancer. It is reported that his work on Smaug also involves performance-capture, though I'm not sure how that is going to work with a dragon.

I giggled at this because I picture him pretending to be an airplane in a motion capture suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Abnegatus posted:

I ripped the dwarven singing and am giving all my fellow goons access to the tracks. One has an ending dialogue attached to it, the other has it without.

http://soundcloud.com/abnegatus

If this doesn't let you download, just shoot me to another audio hosting site and I'll upload it there.

This cool man thanks for sharing.

I love the music pickup in the trailer at 1:50. Hopefully they will throw us a bone and prerelease some of the movie tracks. I am pretty sure the fellowship soundtrack was out several months in advance of the actual film.

• Locked thread