Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Did someone in the old thread mention that a new production video was due soon?

They hardly ever announce it until right before the post it, so...maybe? Maybe not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

According to "The Hobbit" Facebook Page, the trailer will premier on Tuesday at 7pm PST.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Gimmedaroot posted:

Ok, I was talking about the post-Avatar James Cameron cameras. The rush job of Alice in Wonderland and Clash of the Titans after Avatar produced a slew of post production crap that soured people on the idea of 3d, and I wish they would give The Hobbit a chance.

PJ is not using the Avatar cameras. They developed their own system using RED Epic cameras. It will look great, most likely, but it's a different kind of 3D to Avatar.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Medical posted:

Why wouldn't people just pay for the 2d showing instead of buying those glasses. It's cheaper anyways.

To stay on topic I wish I would have known a trailer was coming after it was released, short waits for things are worse than long waits for things in a weird way.

Some theaters don't offer 2D showings of 3D films or very limited. Most theaters playing Hugo, for example, either didn't get 2D versions, or would only show it once, at like...11am-Noon.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

They've been trying and trying to get an Artemis Fowl movie going over at Disney. I imagine Hobbit might re-ignite that fire. It's got dwarves and poo poo.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Holy christ, this looks amazing. I watched it in 3D, and even though the theater's lovely 3D system *they use Technicolor, not RealD* the work that Pete has been doing to make this movie look great in 3D and the new fps really shown through. It looks beautiful projected at 24fps.

The song was amazing as well, and I like how it went from them singing to the song used to carry the rest of the trailer (and towards the end, it sounded like an old LOTR melody worked it's way in)

A perfect trailer, especially for one a year away from the release.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Digital Jedi posted:

As I understand it The Hobbit is a single book and the movie is split into two parts. Is it known where the first movie will end and the second to begin? And where in the books this would be at? (I'm only 6 chapters into it so far and loving it.)

The split hasn't been announced yet (I assume it will be somewhere where they can get a good "cliffhanger") and they will be adding stuff from the Appendices of Lord of the Rings to flesh out the story for two films.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The Gandalf-Galadriel scene has got to be either 1) Galadriel comforting Gandalf who is remorseful for sending a hobbit to get eaten by spiders and dragons. or 2) fortelling that Gandalf is going to be doing the heavy lifting against Necromancer/Sauron, and that he and not Sauruman is the best emissary of the Valar 3) getting flirty to score some pipeweed.

If you look, she is obviously speaking. I assume it's sort of like when she rubbed Aragorn's face with her hands in Fellowship. She's just being an ethereal lady.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I always liked that Bilbo was mostly just a tasty treat to Gollum until the Ring got involved. Nothing more than playing with his food.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

REY DE LA PLAYA posted:

Before the movies came out, I was always under the impression that most people didn't really see them as these completely separate things. First, you read The Hobbit (or had your mommy read it to you and do voices for all the characters :3: ) and then you read it's sequel, The Lord of the Rings.

Bingo. My dad read me The Hobbit when I was no bigger THAN a Hobbit. Then in the summer of 2001 he handed me Fellowship of the Ring. "This is a sequel to the Hobbit. A movie is coming out this Christmas. Read the book beforehand."

It took me a while (I feel Fellowship is the hardest of the books to read because of all the damned exposition and just general farting around the characters do until the second half of the book, really. Once you hit a stride however, it becomes a very easy read, especially Two Towers and Return of the King.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I can't imagine Tom Bombadil being in the film being anything other than a pace killer. The most they could possibly get away with without making the audience want to leave is to skip right to the barrows and then have Tom save them, introduce himself as a friend of Gandalf or something then let them be on their way.

Even that would be pushing it in what was a 2 hours and 45 min. movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I really like Two Towers, both in theatrical and Extended forms.

Actually, The only film I don't like the extended cut is Return of the King. There's a lot of things they put in that really doesn't make it better at all. One change legitimately ruins one of the cooler moments in the theatrical cut because they do the same reveal, only earlier in the film (The ghost army coming off the boat)

Still, I enjoy watching ROTK as an Extended Cut. It's sort of an interesting experiment in putting scenes back into a film that was already pretty packed.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Fellowship is a bit slow but after the council of Elrond poo poo just gets amped up by a ton. TT is pretty much perfect. RoTK though really falls apart for me.

I hated the changes to Faramirs character as it was completely opposite and he was a giant rear end in a top hat now. The above mentioned ghost take over and the millions of endings.

I believe you have Faramir mixed up with his character in the TT movie. In Return of the King he's really a cool dude who just wants to be loved by his father, except his father is a insane shitheel. They changed him for TT, very true, but they went back to the Faramir from the book (although they cut out a lot of the Faramir/Pippin stuff) for ROTK.

I love the scene where he decided to go out and fight for Osgiliath. "If I should return, think better of me, Father."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Olibu posted:

There's actually a retarded theory related to this. Some idiots think that Tom is actually the Witch King of Angmar.

The problem with this is that it's not just a "favorite part of the book". In the foreword to LOTR, Tolkien claims that the two most important chapters are Shadows Of The Past and Scouring Of The Shire. I get the practical reasons for leaving it out of the theatrical editions, but not including it in the extended edition, or even filming it in the first place, will be my biggest issues with the LOTR films, but I still love them.

Shooting a whole new sequence that would be at the least 30 mins. long would have cost millons of dollars. Shooting something that cost that much with no intention of putting it in a theatrical release would never ever happen, no matter how much good will the films had garnered from a studio. From day one, there was never any chance of The Scouring of the Shire in the films. (besides the lovely homage to it in the Mirror of Galadriel.)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

I still don't get why they cut the Mouth of Sauron from RotK, the sequence only goes for like a minute and it makes so much more sense if Gandalf and co think Frodo is dead. Plus it was one of the cooler character designs.

It was cut because the idea of telling Gandalf and Co. that Frodo is dead works better in the book where we haven't gotten to Frodo and Sam's part of the story yet, so in the film you have the emotional moment that isn't all that emotional for the audience because you know Frodo is on his way to the mountain.

It's still a great scene though, and the design is so wonderful. I used to have a Weta collectable bust of it because I love the idea of covering his face besides his mouth. (Someone knocked it off my shelf and the pointy parts all broke off :()

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Right, the audience knows but the characters don't and seeing it makes their actions more believable. Plus, the bit where Aragorn cuts him off during his speech is badass.

I don't really like the head chop. It's probably the one change from the book that makes me really grumpy. Otherwise I love the scene to death, and even though I understand why it was cut, I do wish it was in the theatrical film. (It would have also given Bruce Spence a role in each of the final theatrical acts of the three major trilogies of the era. Matrix, LOTR, and the Star Wars prequels)

"Who knew someone so small could endure so much pain, and he did Gandalf, he did."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Haha, that's hilarious.

Oh...you're being serious. The Hobbit animated movie is no where near as good as you are making it out to be. Every character looks like they are about to dissolve into a blob of poo poo.

It's also the same ol' Rankin/Bass style of "how many shots can we re-use because we don't want to actually put any money into this turd"

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Supreme Allah posted:

I guess after the ring-bearer made the final call, he felt no need to utterly terrify everyone. Although he does hint at the beginning by talking about what killed the dwarves

'The Dwarves tell no tale; but even as mithril was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction: they delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled, Durin's Bane.'

I found it interesting that they gave (part of) that stuff to Sarauman in the film. Just the white wizard being a huge smug prick because he knows they are utterly hosed.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

While I was gagging to see Fellowship before it came out, I didn't actively seek out "spoilers" for the visuals of particular things. As a result the Balrog's look was completely new to me the first time it stepped out of the flame and the shadow, and I wouldn't give up my :aaa: reaction to first seeing that for anything. Did they actually release any imagery of the Balrog before the movie was released? And is it too much to ask/hope that they manage to keep Smaug under wraps as well?

The only footage of him (or image) was his foot in the trailer/tv spots. Even the "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" moment doesn't feature him in the trailers.

His reveal is intense. My dad's jaw hit the floor when he stepped out.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

There are a few of the dwarves that have quite a bit of makeup. It's mostly Thorin and the one that James Nesbit is playing that is mostly their own faces (and they still have fake noses)

The guy playing Bombur isn't nearly that fat.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Although I'm not sure adapting the Simarillion is a particularlly good idea, I imagine that could be a miniseries on Television rather than a movie, so that each tale had it's proper time to be told. I wanted to avoid the goon cliche of saying "HBO! It'd make a great HBO Show!" but it's pretty true in this case.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I just had a dream that Peter Jackson sent me a bunch of footage from this movie. It was awesome. Then I woke up. Son of a bitch.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I know they shot footage for an epilogue where each of the characters would have one final moment. Gimli was to be examining a big-rear end jewel.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Viridiant posted:

Tolkien said in one of his letters that the ent-wives likely either actually died out or were corrupted into trolls.

Tolkien sure took his work in some weird places.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Darth Freddy posted:

The first time we see him walking out of Isengard his face honestly looks kind of CG to me at least.

Thats' because he's the only real thing in that shot. The rest is miniatures and digital stuff composted in. It's the one shot in the films that makes pulls me out of the moment to go "Oh, that's a miniature."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kaworu posted:

Ohh boy. I don't even care, at this point. Whatever PJ does in the second film is bound to annoy the hell out of me, because he's going to cut a bunch of really awesome stuff in favor of unbelievably boring "climactic battle scenes" or whatever. It's not even about staying faithful to the book, for me - it's about being annoyed by his tendency to turn fantasy/adventure stories into war films.

He didn't do that with Fellowship, and Two Towers and Return of the King are both books about war. Seems fitting enough for me.

The Hobbit does end with a battle, so him featuring it shouldn't be an outrage, it's just a fact of adapting the book to the screen. (Yes, I know Bilbo is unconscious. That's horrendously un-cinematic, so of course they are going to actually show some of it.)

As for what Cumberbatch said, I agree that he's mis-informed and is probably speaking about the White Council fighting him. Funny how what is probably just a mistake caused about a page and a half of speculation though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Effingham posted:

or some chick as "the Rani."

Why must you bring this up? Why?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Firstly, Jackson is likely to take a lot of liberties with the size of the good guy's forces. Also, no way will Bilbo spend much of the battle unconscious. It's more likely that he only puts the ring on near the end of the battle, then just as Sauron spots where it is, the uber-uber showdown occurs where he gets tagteamed by Beorn, Gandalf, the King of the Eagles and whoever else, before he gets a chance to chase after the ring

You really like to take one thing an actor said and spin it into "more likely" scenario.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I'm imagining Beorn's big juicy wire-haired bollocks interacting with Bilbo's curly Hobbit hair in a manner not entirely unlike Velcro.

I...I don't even...why would you think this? Is this like the whole "smell the Dwarves" thing?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The LA Times just released a shiny new picture from The Hobbit of Bilbo doing some Spider Slayin'

http://badassdigest.com/2012/01/14/heres-bilbo-the-spider-slayer-from-the-hobbit/

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

The amount of takes they must have done to get everything choreographed blows my mind.

and probably a lot of CG Plates.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Underneath the main castle at Disneyland Paris, there is a cave with an animatronic dragon that is basically what I pictured Smaug to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGg2a9pxUCo

It's mostly "asleep", but every few minutes, it wakes up and roars. It's pretty awesome, and if Smaug looked sort of like that, I'd be a very happy man.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rawk Hawk posted:

I always thought it was great that as RotK is ending Tolkien basically says "Oh yeah, Gandalf had a ring of power the whole time. No big deal."

That is one of my dad's favorite moments of the book, and he was pysched to see the ring on Gandalf's finger when he says goodbye to the Hobbits.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Diabolik900 posted:

Wow. Having never read the whole book, I had no idea Gandalf had a ring. Is this present in the movies at all?

It's visible during the scene when he says goodbye to the hobbits, as he holds his staff. They don't draw attention to it or anything, but it's there.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

It never occurred to me that only the Hobbits disappear when they slip the ring on. Wow.

Isiludur disappears too. It's how he ends up dying (uses it to hide, ring falls off, gets shot a lot)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

If any of you guys are in Boston or nearby areas, next month the theater I am working at is doing an all day marathon of the LOTR Trilogy in honor of us giving Viggo an achievement award. It's going to be a Sunday, but I am not sure of the date. I'll post more info when it finalizes.

I can't wait.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

3 Foot 8. Straight Pimpin'

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Wank posted:

I should think The Hobbit will make a point of Bilbo nearly killing Gollum but stopping. I wonder if Gollum could be further incorporated in the story than just Riddles in the dark?

I don't think there will be much extra Gollum stuff, as Andy was done filming his role in about a week (and then stayed on to be assistant director)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Wait, Elrond is Galadriel's son-in-law?

"Nine there were who set out from Rivendell yet only eight do I count! :stare:"
"Yeah.... uhhh... we'll just sleep in the trees tonight if you don't mind, buddy."
"Twas a gangrel creature whom we didst se-"
"Yeah yeah... we're uhhh... we're tired, we're going to sleep now."

I was so happy when he got killed at Helm's Deep.

Celebron didn't go to Helms Deep. Haldir did. The elf who brings them to Celebron and Galadriel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

kiimo posted:

More to the point, Arwen is Galadriel's granddaughter?

Yeah, I remember my friends being really confused when Galadriel started talking about Arwen's fate in Fellowship of the Ring.

"She knows Arwen."

"You could say that, yes. She's her granddaughter."

"Oh lord, you are a nerd, BBS."

::eng99:

• Locked thread