Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Echo Chamber posted:

As someone who barely remembered reading The Hobbit in high school; if they're going to add a lot of details that weren't in the book to justify two movies; it wouldn't hurt that romance is simply one of dozens of things that they're adding.

Of course, talk of romance could still be premature speculation. Meh, the Arwen stuff didn't hurt LOTR in my mind.

It didn't hurt it, but it was completely unnecessary. At least it was to me anyways. It added a totally forgetable element that just didn't need to be there. Maybe some people require a romantic interest sub plot in every movie that they see but I just don't get it.

It would make even less sense for the Hobbit to have a love story in it than it did for LOTR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Christmas Jones posted:

Is it really that out of character? It's been a while since I've read the book, but most of what I remember about Thorin was that he was a giant cock about everything.

I think he was just pointing out that it was handled a little clumsily. Thorin would be sort of quiet and brooding, or maybe lightly reprimand his fellow dwarves but then inexplicably lambaste Bilbo for a seemingly minor infraction. It was very much in line with his character but it did feel forced at times. It was obvious they were building up to a major 'redemption' moment for Bilbo with these outbursts from Thorin and it wasn't exactly done with finesse.

• Locked thread