Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm hoping to see my uncle appear on camera as one of the extras in the next production video, but then, he caught a cold after three days of filming and had to stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm a day late, but I'm currently watching my old VHS tape of Fellowship of the Ring on an LCD widescreen for the 10th anniversary. The picture quality is bearable, though the constant shudder is a tad annoying. Still, reminds me of the days when I used to watch this movie every other weekend. It also reminds me that I really need to get this on DVD.

'Tell me... friend, when did Saruman the Wise abandon reason for madness?'

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Olibu posted:

Octy, does that mean you never saw the extended editions? I'm aware that at least Fellowship EE was released on VHS, but if that's not the version you have then drat man.

I only got round to seeing the FotR EE this year. I know, I'm a terrible fan. It'll be my New Year's resolution to buy the first two movies' extended editions as I already have RotK.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I'm sorry but... how poor are you? Who doesn't have a DVD player when you can get them for like 25 bucks?? I think most of us here have converted to blu by now. Surely you must understand the leap from VHS to DVD.

I do have a DVD player. It just happens that I never got round to replacing my VHS version of Fellowship of the Ring because I've barely watched it in the last seven or eight years.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Jesto posted:

Out of curiousity, what things in the movies do the people in this thread hate? Not because they're different from the book, but because they're just legitimately bad to them. Characters, scenes, dialogue, CGI, anything, what grates on your nerves?

My list would probably be:

- Gandalf's creepy extreme face closeup at the end of RotK when they're having the slow-mo hugathon. I have no idea what Peter Jackson was thinking when he put this in the movie.

- The ghost army. It would have been nice to see the good guys, for once, win on their own merits. Having an invincible ghost army sweep in and kill everything sucked the tension out of everything and in rewatches makes the war seem a bit boring because you're just waiting for the ghosts to save the day.

- God drat immersion ruining Wilhelm screams. I blame Jackson for these, because there's no way in hell he didn't notice one of his sound effects guys putting them.

- "He's got mah axe embedded in his nervous system!"

- Pretty much all the forced comic relief that came from Gimli, aside from the pretty funny box scene. The Fellowship didn't really need a buttmonkey. It would have been nice to see how he would have written if he were an actually serious character or a badass dwarf. Or is he basically just the butt of all the jokes in the book as well?

Galadriel's 'in place of a dark lord you shall have a queen!' scene. I want to know who was responsible for that.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

webmeister posted:

I actually quite like Galadriel's "in place of a Dark Lord you will have a Queen" scene, I really think it's a different but valid way of interpreting her character.

Yeah, I'm mostly referring to the visual effects.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

In the latest production diary Elijah Wood says he was 19 when filming Fellowship and now he's 30 years old.

:sigh:

Having passed 19 I almost feel like a failure for not having done anything worthwhile in my life so far, like playing Frodo in a Lord of the Rings adaptation.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

SourKraut posted:

Faramir?

Aragorn too.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Wikipedia states that Balrogs were a type of Maiar that were 'scourges of fire' and were corrupted by Melkor.

Octy fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 30, 2011

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

kiimo posted:

I consider myself to be pretty obsessed with Tolkien as is everybody taking time out of their lives to post in this thread.

I would actively dislike a Silmarillion film as I actively disliked reading it. No thanks. I like hearing what happened second hand but that was an exasperating read.

Same, but there were a oouple of good stories in it, e.g. Beren and Luthien and Turin Turambar.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Bob Anderson is dead. For those who don't know, he was the Sword Master for Lord of the Rings and every other film worth seeing.

quote:

Bob Anderson, who fenced for England in the Olympics and went on to help create some of Hollywood’s greatest sword fights, choreographing bladework and coaching actors from Errol Flynn to Antonio Banderas, and who appeared on-screen himself as Darth Vader, crossing lightsabers with Mark Hamill (as Luke Skywalker) in the original “Star Wars” trilogy, died on Sunday in West Sussex, England. He was 89...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/03/movies/bob-anderson-sword-fight-choreographer-dies-at-89.html

PJ left an obituary to him on his Facebook page.

Octy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 3, 2012

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I don't want the Hobbit movie to have realistic or graphic violence, it would be completely out of place and feel awkward and forced. The book had no violence of any kind that I could remember. It was a light hearted adventure for kids and adults alike. Try not to be to goony about this stuff guys, come on.

Apart from the Battle of Five Armies and Smaug's attack on Lake-town, no.

Octy fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 4, 2012

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

The Hobbit was very violent for a children's story considering you have the violent decapitation of the goblin king, wolves and goblins being burned alive, Bilbo stabbing the poo poo out of an army of giant spiders, the Battle of the Goddamned Five Armies, not to mention Smaug razing an entire town to the ground, along with all the horrible burning deaths that would seemingly imply

It's a book for goony spergspawn that like to read about things that stab other things, so let's not pretend this is Telletubbies that we're dealing with here.

drat, I didn't know we were meant to be spoilering things. I'll edit my post.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Alas, the Blue Wizards weren't members of the White Council. However, Wikipedia says Glorfindel may have been a member so here's hoping he makes an appearance after his absence in Fellowship of the Ring.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

FrensaGeran posted:

Was Glorfindel's resurrection and return to Middle Earth an established fact or something Tolkien was mulling around in his head to maybe explain why he used the same name twice?

Just something he came up with later to explain why he messed up. Whatever the 'truth', I like the idea that the Glorfindel we meet in LotR is the same badass who was around in the First Age.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

All I can think of is V for Vendetta :blush:

and is your desktop really 1024x768?!

The desktop I'm on now is. I never left 2002.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

How do you do it? :negative:

I only play video games from pre-2002.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hahaha, I can just imagine Bilbo picking up the sword and then cut to young aragorn sitting in the shadows giving him a creepy look, then Bilbo tries to put the sword back quickly but it falls onto the floor and yes that would be an awful idea

'The shards of Narsil. The blade that cut the ring from Sauron's hand. Still sharp!... But no more than a broken hilt'.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Kemchimikemkem posted:

Man, I hope they don't pull something like that with Aragorn. Maybe a split-second shot of a young him as an Easter Egg though.

What would a young Aragorn look like anyway? If he is roughly 25 at the time of The Hobbit, is that meant to be early childhood for a Númenórean?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I never thought long-lived Numenoreans implied that their entire life cycle was stretched out; I figured they would grow up more or less at a normal rate, they'd just stay in their prime much longer.

25 might be "late teenager" for someone like Aragorn.

Also, I thought it was "no more than a broken heirloom".

So is their prime to be pudgy and middle-aged like Viggo Mortensen?

I went through the film scene when I was quoting Boromir and I swear he says 'hilt' and not 'heirloom'. Perhaps it's 'heirloom' in the book?

Octy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 7, 2012

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Are you saying that I have been misquoting it for ten years? Is that what you're saying? I'm about to get very angry if so and you don't want to see me angry. I'm like Gandalf facing off against the Balrog.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I believe he says "cannot" the first time in the movie then the second time he says "shall".

I am ashamed to admit I never read The Hobbit growing up, so to make up for it I just bought it for my Kindle and will read it soon.

I think it was a deliberate misquotation to poke fun at me. :(

Also, the second time each word is said with more emphasis, as shown by mind the walrus' capitalisation of the text etc etc. I think I had a point but now I've lost it.

Octy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 8, 2012

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

ariagloris posted:

Peter required his art processing team to have an output of 48 pps (pages per second) to get the "look" he desired.

So that's how the 500 million dollars is being spent.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

In LotR I would have described him as "Hobbity"; this time around I think he is definately "Dwarven". He's a method director, clearly. When he gets around to The Silmarillion, I fully expect to see the "Elven" Peter Jackson.

Will he ever have time (and source material) to become 'Maia' Peter Jackson?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

Attercop is an Old English word for 'spider' It is an awesome word.

I was reading this and went to go get a drink and there was a huge rear end dead spider right in the middle of the hallway. :ohdear:

I hope you stuck it with your dagger.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Sereri posted:

There are no daggers, only hobbit swords.

Aren't hobbit swords daggers for big people?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Always pronounced it Bee-orn. But I was 9 when I first read it and I refuse to change my pronunciation now.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Quality_Guaranteed posted:

Beorn is supposed to be pronounced "Bay-orn", since it's Old English. It's a cognate of Bjorn, an Old Norse name. Old Norse and Old English are very closely related and sound similar in a lot of cases. In no way are you supposed to say "Bee-orn".

Never going to change my pronunciation.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

kaworu posted:

It's so funny, because I remember reading the trilogy in like 5th grade the first time and talking about it with my teacher at the time. He swore that Moria was pronounced "Mor-I-uh" and I was always like "No way it's definitely Mor-ee-uh!" and it was actually a point of contention between us and he obviously thought he was right because I was some 10-year-old brat. But I was right :smug:

That's funny, because my stepmother who probably read the books back in the early 70s also swore it was pronounced 'Mor-I-uh'. Maybe that's the way it was pronounced in one of the adaptations?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I had a chat with my uncle the other day who had come over from New Zealand after having spent a bit of time on the film as an extra. My only prior knowledge of such business comes from Ricky Gervais, and from the way my uncle described it, it sounds like a gruelling exercise, mostly in tedium and discomfort. I'm talking about having to wear four layers of winter clothing in 25 degree heat; spending all day around a bonfire, posing for scenes and inhaling smoke; getting up at 5am and home at 11.30pm; having to listen to a poncy Belgian director make requests in a poncy Belgian accent.

On the plus side my uncle did get something like a thousand dollars for three or four days work. He also got to see first-hand the way Peter Jackson works and Orlando Bloom 'acts'. And whether or not he'll be in the final cut or indeed, even identifiable, remains to be seen. I understand there was a fellow extra who looked exactly like Nicholas Cage so it'll be interesting if they include him.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

Peter Jackson or Andy Serkis are Belgian now?

Gee, you try to tell people something vaguely interesting in view of the absence of any discussion and they come up with this? Bruno Du Bois is the second second assistant director.

Octy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 24, 2012

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

^^

My uncle is retired now and spends most of his time working on the property he lives near a lot of the filming locations. But he did come from a fairly cushy office job and apparently couldn't take being an extra for more than a few days. I suppose that's it for his film career.

Nurse Fanny posted:

This is important: how did they pronounce Beorn?

Alas, he did not mention this. His scenes were all in Dale, I think, as a 'Townsperson'.

Sorry, I wish I could remember a bit more of what he said.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

euphronius posted:

If he kept up the Fellowship level of quality and detail the book (or books) would have been 3,000 pages long.

If only...

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Kemchimikemkem posted:

I wanna see how they make the mouth articulate. It'll probably beat Dragonheart, whose dragon had decent animation despite aged graphics, and most definitely beat Skyrim, whose dragon mouths barely move at all.

Didn't you hear? PJ has hired the same animators who worked on Skyrim.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Lizard Combatant posted:

The Ents were a mix, and I'm sure plenty of 'guys in suits' were digitally touched up. But all the big monsters were CG.

My mum said the Balrog was real...

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Viridiant posted:

Nope. Immortality is reserved only for elves, and no one but Illuvatar himself can change that.

Is it ever explained why Illuvatar was such a dick as to only allow immortality for elves? I mean, surely those poor hobbits deserved it too?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Cage was cast in LotR but he had to turn it down :}

from: http://www.empireonline.com/interviews/interview.asp?IID=1444

I wonder who. Maybe Elrond? He has a sort of wierd Elvish face. Interesting that he also turned down Matrix. Shame he didn't turn down Wicker Man - I bet Hugo Weaving would have knocked that one out of the park.

IIRC (and I'm basing this entirely on having only found this out from a friend a week ago), he was offered the role of Aragorn. He turned it down because of family obligations and I think we can all be incredibly thankful for this.

Here we are: http://themovieblog.com/2007/12/nicolas-cage-was-offered-neo-and-aragorn-roles

quote:

Talk about shaking your perception of reality. We all know that he was supposed to be the new Superman, but apparently Nicolas Cage was at one point also offered both the roles of Neo from The Matrix and Aragorn from the Lord of the Rings franchise. Wow.

The following comes from our friends over at MTV:

“Yeah, there was a couple of movies that I was offered, but I had good reasons, so I couldn’t do it. One was ‘The Matrix,’ and ‘The Lord of the Rings,’” he revealed. “Both are great movies. But they both shot in New Zealand for great quantities of time…I mean years. Well, Australia was ‘The Matrix,’ New Zealand was ‘The Lord of the Rings.’ But I had family obligations, so I’m glad I stayed and I had those experiences with my family.”

Now just soak in that thought for a moment. Imagine how different both of those movie would have ended up being had Nicolas Cage played them. And don’t just jump to the conclusion that it would have made them worse either. Cage has made some questionable films… but he’s an Oscar winning actor and a good one at that.

It’s almost just too trippy to even imagine though…. Cage as Aragorn?!?! Cage saying “I know Kung-Fu”?!?! I almost wish they could remake them now just to see how differently they may have turned out

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

etalian posted:

The heavy comparative weight of the weapons makes the lightning quick fencing style choreography impossible.

Sort of why I liked Ironclad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ18t3uNiI4

If there was ever a shittiest time in history to be a soldier, this was it. Getting shot with a musket seems far preferable to having my arm slowly hacked off or boiling oil poured on my face.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

dolphins are gay posted:

imagining a LOTR movie with the Ironclad style fight scenes ... that would be incredibly freaky seeing Sean Bean or Viggo Mortensen carving up Orcs with weird blood spraying all around.

Most of the fight scenes in Fellowship of the Ring are like that. By the time they get to Return of the King they just seem to be whacking orcs with foam swords to great effect but with a conspicious absence of any blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Nilbop posted:

In the Fellowship we are following a group in gang-sized fights. In the following two movies we are dealing with battlefields during wartime, doing a close-up shot of Gimli getting showered in black uruk-hai blood every time he swings his axe would be un-economical and frankly silly.

Not just battlefields, but in small skirmishes on the wall of Helm's Deep or Minas Tirith there's no fake blood. But fine, I don't need you or your unrealistic battles.

• Locked thread