Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

The songs were incredible but the trailer's tone was really flip-flopping.
Peter Jackson has the difficult job of keeping The Hobbit light enough to reflect its origins and entice younger viewers, but also dark enough to appeal to the older fans of the Lord of the Rings.

It was just a tad off-putting to see a dwarf break a chair from being fat to bumbling music, followed immediately by Richard Armitage murmuring about the deadly nature of the journey.

I hope the balance is better in the actual film =) I'm optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I went to an extended LOTR marathon yesterday, all of the theatre staff were wearing armor... it was pretty awesome.
Anyway I think this is more of question about the LOTR films. From what my Dad told me, in the books Sam is more subservient to Frodo, in PJ's films it is more of a brotherly relationship, but in Bakshi's LOTR Sam seemed really really really simple (I had terrible secondhand embarrassment).

I'm planning on reading the LOTR over the next month, and I was wondering which portrayal of the character of Sam was closer to the book? I really enjoyed how he wasn't bumbling and completely loving weird in PJ's LOTR and I felt it made for some interesting dialogue and interactions, while I felt I was watching some highschool actor portray someone with mental disabilities while completely missing the mark in Bakshi's.

e: poor grammar

RebBrownies fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 10, 2012

• Locked thread