Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ughugh :gizz: The trailer was awesome. I love how vibrant and saturated everything looks. Can't wait to see it in all it's IMAX 3D 48fps glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

Wow the logistics of this production are staggering. It's great they're going to keep the hobbit holes as a tourist attraction but they should also build some to rent out for tourists.

And I know he's the man in charge but someone should warn PJ he's putting back on all the weight he worked so hard to lose!

He's probably putting on the weight so he can make a cameo as a fat hobbit. Dedication, man.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ariagloris posted:

CGI is no longer required for Beorn to turn into a bear.

Peter Jackson is no George Lucas. He can't do everything via CG magic.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Kemchimikemkem posted:

Eaugh, Viggo's voice is his biggest weakness as an actor. Didn't suit the King of Men at all.

I thought I was the only one who thought this. His pre-battle speech at the black gate was terribly anti-climactic for me. Viggo was good, though... still wished Daniel Day-Lewis didn't pass on the part. He would have been so awesome as Aragorn. :sigh:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There's a few reference 48fps videos on Vimeo as well, that gives you a sense of how clear and "buttery" the footage looks. Most of the ones I saw were shot in 3K resolution though, not 5.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Octy posted:

So good. The end was just so unexpected.

I had the biggest grin on my face. Haha. So awesome.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

None of the film is shot in IMAX (That would require film, and Hobbit is all digital). Not sure what the actual ratio is.

It was shot on Red Epic cameras at 5K res - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Digital_Cinema_Camera_Company#Epic-M_and_Epic-X

So I guess either 1.9:1 or 2.4:1.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

I sure hope "Hobbit trilogy : Lord of the Rings trilogy" doesn't end up like "Star Wars prequel trilogy : original Star Wars trilogy" :(

From what the video diaries showed us, a lot of heart and soul is going into The Hobbit films, thanks to being helmed by jolly-mode Peter Jackson director extraordinaire and his ridiculously passionate crew. George Lucas was a pure, cold-hearted business man, not a director, that surrounded himself with yes-men when it came to the prequels and it showed in those films. No need to worry!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

I think he's great too. And he sounds quite a bit like Ian Holm as well without it being an impersonation.

The bit when he yells that he's going on an adventure definitely sounds like Ian Holm to me for some reason. That, and the short glimpses we see of his mannerisms really feel like a younger Bilbo from LotR. So good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Unzip and Attack posted:

While they're making up characters, why not have The Rock guest star as a hammer-wielding barbarian or Christopher Walken as the Wizard Funbagzz?

You know... The Rock would be pretty intimidating as an orc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

I like that they managed to visually recreate the ambiguity of the Balrog's wings. Is it wings... or is it just the ceiling of the cave? :smug:

Not that I want to start this hilarious debate of wings or no-wings, but they're clearly outside and on-top of a mountain.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Viridiant posted:

I think Thorin and Fili look fine. They've got the beards, they look like dwarves, what's the problem? Kili's the only one who's kinda silly.

Yeah, he looks like a poor man's Aragorn.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jesus Christ seeing that blog video just completely blows my mind. I've always known / been aware of what a monumental task is to make a film of that magnitude but gently caress if I was anywhere near that level of involvement on anything that big I'd be dead or in a drunken coma in some gutter.

How the gently caress do you sign up for 3 (6!) of those. How?

The money is a nice icing on the cake type incentive.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Trump posted:

What does this even mean?

That people always hate new poo poo?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

13 minute featurette :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LOVo8NzHz4&hd=1

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Young Dwalin with a mohawk looks so badass. :black101:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

This is not cool.

Yeah, you can see the birdshit running down Radagast's hair in the 13 minute featurette and it's kind of off-putting to me, personally. I mean really... birdshit? Can't believe I spoiler tagged that, haha.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

marktheando posted:

I thought the writing was fine, the movie looked beautiful and the main performances were excellent.

I did as well. Loved the look of the film, acting was great, writing was good, and I'm very much eager to see it in HFR 3D eventually. Still though, I'm not swooning over the film or anything. It just felt very long winded to me overall. Parts of it I enjoyed, while most of it I was never really captivated or engaged with like I was when I first saw Fellowship in the theaters. Maybe it's because I've been exposed to so much of Middle-earth through the LotR trilogy that's given me this kind of jaded predisposition, which is weird, because I was really looking forward seeing Middle-earth again, but after seeing The Hobbit, it's like I already had too much of it and I didn't know it. Hard to describe I guess.

If anything, the only parts I really didn't enjoy was the Radagast stuff. I've never read the book, but the character just wasn't appealing to me. Someone likened him to Jar Jar in a review somewhere, and I kind of have to agree.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Rogue Elephant posted:

I thought Radagast fit in pretty much perfectly with what I expected the movie to be like. He would have been utterly out of place at any point in LoTR, but The Hobbit has a more whimsical tone to it that his shroomed out hippy wizard personality is suited for.

I think this is why I'm more partial to LotR and why I had a lukewarm response to The Hobbit. Makes sense. I came in expecting more of what I got from the initial films, and The Hobbit came at me with a more whimsical feel, as you said. It was more playful than I'd prefer, but again, I understand that The Hobbit was a children's book so I get why it's like that. Just not my thing I suppose.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cellophane S posted:

Christopher Lee Ian McKellen as Saruman Gandalf may be the best piece of casting in the whole Tolkien movie franchise

Fixed that for you, so that it's actually true. I mean, Lee is great, but c'mon. Everyone knows Sir Ian is Gandalf.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

euphronius posted:

Let's just remember LOTR had Legolas skateboarding elephants.

I enjoyed Legolas' dexterity gimmicks throughout the LotR trilogy because they progressively got more ridiculous with each movie; running up a chain, then balancing atop a cave troll's shoulders in Fellowship, the weird horse mounting maneuver and the shield surfing in Two Towers, and as you mentioned, the whole giant oliphaunt skateboard takedown in RotK. He does some wonky poo poo, but at least they're memorable :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

computer parts posted:

You clearly haven't seen the Fellowship prologue recently.

I have, and I think it looks fine. The whole film holds up pretty well, honestly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I finally caught up on the Unexpected Journey the other day, and it's got one of the more bothersome aspects of modern action scenes: One hit KOs. There's tons of great bits in the Lord of the Rings movies where the heroes have to belt the Orcs over and over to get an opening (even the little Moria Goblins take Boromir multiple sword swings to put down). It gives a sense of them being tough, of them having agency, of being there. In the escape from Goblin Town, every time anyone swings their sword (or axe), it kills an Orc, who are apparently made from paper mache. It makes each kill inconsequential, and feels more like a kid waving their plastic sword in the backyard. It's not that surprising. When every CGI shot represents hundreds of man hours, each one is going to be decisive, whereas when you're with a stuntman, you're more likely to say "one punch, now two, now swing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azO5_ATDppc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

All six Star Wars movies are basically the same thing only some of them don't have James Earl Jones.

The gently caress? This kind of thinking is way out of line.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Still gets me everytime.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's an old trend - Back Camera Poster Trend

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's sad what PJ has become. That trailer was just a big bag of "meh".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hbomberguy posted:

It is ridiculous awesome for Luke to turn off his targeting computer. It makes the Death Star The Force/Jedi look weak badass.

Fixed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hepatizon posted:

Another thing about Balin's Tomb is that the characters are constantly emoting, and visibly making split-second decisions. Basically, they act like people. That gives the fight an emotional ebb and flow that lends weight to the action.

Want to quote this again, because this really is key. Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azO5_ATDppc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

James Cameron should be the only director allowed to shoot movies in 3D.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjn3FmTCyL8

When it's all cut together, it actually looks like it could been an awesome, single film.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nipplebox posted:

One of the most memorable Legolas shots was an accident. Orlando Bloom was injured the day he was supposed to be filmed getting onto his horse, but they forgot about the missing shot until it was time to cut the scene together. So they just took existing footage of him standing near a running horse and transitioned to a CG body double.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcr6Pe0kxA

I remember while watching this happen in the theater, my brother and I looked at each other with a WTF :stare: face the moment that weird rear end move happened and then we couldn't stop laughing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tolkein nerds know that the dunedain were gifted with long life and poo poo.

[edit]

Mr. Flunchy posted:

But Viggo Mortenson doesn't look anywhere near 87. Maybe he could be a sprightly 60 if you squint. I don't buy it.

Are you serious? I can't tell.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hmm, I just got done watching this movie. I can't recall a beginning or middle, but it definitely ended. Was pretty bad to be honest. Made for a great video game sequence though! My dad seemed to like it, he said it was like playing a custom game of Warcraft 3 with cheats on.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

Don't think about it too much.

There's not much to think about; he ages slower because of MAGIC.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Blue Star posted:

If Galadriel is seriously supposed to be stronger than Feanor, than she's probably stronger than any character in Middle-earth, including Sauron, the balrog of Moria, Smaug, and the Istari (the wizards that include Gandalf and Saruman). And she's probably stronger than all other elves, period, including all of the ones in Valinor. So the only beings that are stronger than her are the Valar.

That's some serious bullshit that she didn't kick Sauron's rear end earlier, then. Or Smaug's. Or the balrog's. Or Saruman's. Okay, she's trying to redeem herself by being all non-intervening and such, but y'know what might be a BETTER way of redeeming yourself? Saving the hobbits and all of humankind, plus the dwarves, plus the elves that still live in Middle-earth.

Elrond shoulda recruited her to be part of the Fellowship. What a dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

HopperUK posted:

That's his mother-in-law, man, like he can even start to think about telling her what to do.

He could have been all like... "Buuuuuut Maaaaaaaaa :("

• Locked thread