Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

ChaosTheory posted:

I'm not saying this will look fake, I just hope it doesn't. I may be old-fashioned, but I like 24 fps just the way it is.

I felt the same way as you before I actually saw how awesome it looks. And clips I've seen weren't from a fully developed pro level camera.

It's going to look great, have no doubts about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

It's going to look like any other movie you have on blu-ray.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Boz0r posted:

Is there anywhere you can download some 48fps footage so we can see how it'll look?

http://hdcam.web-pda.info/

There should be some nice examples there. Keep in mind these are raw files.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Nuggan posted:

Hobbits live 80-100 years or so. Its mortals that are in Valinor who can choose to die when they want. Also, Aragorn because of his special bloodline.

I'm pretty sure hobbits live a fair bit longer than humans, but that this was changed somewhat in the movies. Wasn't Frodo like 30 and considered a teenager?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Saturniid19 posted:

I think he has ADR trouble. He sounds much better at the Council and the Black Gate in the trailers.

They straight up picked a different and weaker take of the Black Gate speech.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

pixelbaron posted:

Attercop is an Old English word for 'spider' It is an awesome word.

And it's still used in Danish and Norwegian as Edderkop

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

The Monarch posted:

Uh nothing about that quote implies that the arrow was magical. It might've been, who knows, but all that's saying is that this arrow has been in his family for a while, like a token of luck or something.

Everything about that qoute implies it's magical...

It's not explictly stated though.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Supersheep posted:

The Hobbit premiere is going to be a nightmare.

Oh gently caress... That just reminded me that I won't be able to watch The Hobbbit at a pre-premiere screening with a well behaved audience like I did the LOTR trilogy...

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Steve Yun posted:

I'll have to see it myself as well.

I'm wondering... a possible reason why the 48fps looked weird might've been because they were post-processing with 3D in mind... cutting down on motion blur would help eyes to focus in 3D but would make movement seem off.

Reduction of motion blur is inherent to 48 fps.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

So going by this, the unemployment rate of New Zealand is about 30% when Peter Jackson isn't making movies.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Above Our Own posted:

Kili is about as a minor character as you can get. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Have you read the script?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Wendell posted:

Yeah, that is weak. You'd think Peter Jackson would have free reign to say, "No, go away," to any meddlers, but I guess not.

It's not meddling. They did the same thing with LOTR and it wasn't untill half-way into shooting the scenes of Arwen fighting at Helms Deep they decided it probably wasn't a very good idea and toned the love story down a little.

I mind it's all Philippa Boyens' fault though.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

What kind of presence will The Hobbit have at comic-con? Any chance of a new trailer?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

No new trailer but there will be footage. The "reel" will be shown in 2D and at 24fps, as a reaction to the negative comments on 48fps from the CinemaCon presentation.

Cool, thanks. I wonder how much of this choice was really PJs and how much was the studio wanting to avoid the backlash? He seemed to be 100% dedicated to 48fps up untill now.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Ironza posted:

I imagined this would be the case when I originally heard they would filming in 48fps as well as the industry standard.

I wouldn't be suprised if they released it in both 28/48 at major cinemas and hopefully they do the same when it's released on blue-ray/dvd.

It was very loudly publicized after the previously mentioned backlash, that it will be released in both 24 and 48 fps version, in both 2D and 3D.

And I'm pretty sure it's only filmed at 48fps, though I don't know what they'll do about the lack of motion blur when it's converted to 24fps.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Vigilance posted:

I'm not sure I like how the trolls look just like the ones in lord of the rings. Presumably, unless PJ deviated from the book completely, the scene with the trolls talking will be in the movie. The trolls in LOTOR grunt and act very animalistic, whereas the trolls in The Hobbit are supposed to be at least somewhat intelligent rather than basically mindless beasts. Also they are supposed to be a different kind of troll than the ones in LOTOR, but that's just me being a sperg. I think the main thing for me is it will seem a bit strange how dumb the trolls in LOTOR seem after seeing talking ones in the Hobbit, and potentially jarring to a viewer unaquainted with the books.

e: Also for a site that's been around for years and presumably makes a fair amount of money good lord is the layout of aintitcool hideous

They showed the petrified trolls in FOTR, so they can't deviate too much, but the faces clearly has more character in those photos than they did in FOTR, so they did what they could. Also the fact they are a different kind could explain why the trolls in The Hobbit are smarter, simply explained by a throw away line somewhere.

It's atrocious that AICN is still putting up 640400 pictures in 2012. Everything about that site is horrible, except their behind the scenes feature.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

For anyone interested, the Comic-con panel will be live blogged at comingsoon.net soon.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92534

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

It's so awesome that they threw us this little bone in the diary. PJ knows how to keep the fans happy.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Quasimango posted:

It honestly seemed kind of dickish of Frodo to just go 'Welp, see ya!' at the end, since one of the subplots had been Arwen giving up on the Undying Lands in order to be with the one she loved.

I thought Frodo was dying and going away was his only choice.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As I've said before...all movies are for the money. Pretending it's any different is silly.

Of course, that doesn't mean one can't love making movies on top of making money. PJ is a great example of that when he finds material that sparks his interest (like Tolkien)

That's just silly and implies noone never ever do anything out of interest or love. Yeah, filmmaking is big business, but Jackson already has all the money he needs so I think he's doing this because he wants to.

The studio on the other hand...

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

So, in conclusion, and with a rumoured budget that approaches a record-breaking $800 million, Jackson will not be going light on the CG.

Where are you getting that number from?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Zzulu posted:

With the figures he makes for the movies it's hard to imagine it's not in some part about the money. Most of the time he looks pretty miserable on sets anyway

Miserable? He looks like a pig in poo poo. A tired pig in poo poo perhaps, but still gleefully happy about what he's doing.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

kiimo posted:

News running around WB today is that the 48 FPS version of The Hobbit will only be in limited release.

Now, I think we all understand that not every theater can show them, but even more limited release than that.

Nobody is outright saying that it might be a bad thing. They're still calling it the future of movies.

Take from it what you will.

Great. That means I won't get the chance to see it in 48fps because Denmark never gets cool things.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Projectors/bulbs are below spec theater-side, which isn't really surprising considering theater owners don't operate with great margins. Good bulbs are expensive and dim fast, they wont replace them until they absolutely have to. Sometimes you get lucky and theres a brand new bulb! I just avoid 3d it usually does nothing for me, though the new spiderman used it well.

It's mostly just lazy calibration and running the bulbs for way too long.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Gimmedaroot posted:

The 3d for Avatar was shot with 3d cameras, and were not post conversion. That's why I have such faith in The Hobbit. Only Avatar and Tron Legacy used those cameras, and Del Toro was going to with At The Mountains of Madness.

This is just untrue. Several movies have been filmed using the Fusion system.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Galadriel fighting would be really cool. I hope they get some new fight choreographers because the fighting was mostly boring in LOTR unless Legolas was kicking rear end. More wirework and martial arts would kick so much rear end.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

The budgets for those got smaller and smaller and I thought they called it a day after the 3rd one pretty much bombed...?

The second one had a larger budget then the first? And the third still had a pretty large budget of around 150 million.

Why is everyone saying this stupid poo poo?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Ville Valo posted:

Is there some official announcement about a third Hobbit film? People have looked at me like I'm crazy when I said "the first of three is out this December; you (likely) won't see Smaug in it." They're convinced it's just one, which is certainly wrong, but I couldn't find anywhere but posts in here confirming the addition of a third.

Did you try google?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057210
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...onfirmed-355817
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/0...d-hobbit-movie/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07...ially-announced

And the official statement.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/pete...151114596546558

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

kiimo posted:

I think we're all going to eventually have to admit to ourselves what we already know to be true deep down inside that Jackson/Boyens/Walsh are going to be adding their own poo poo to the limited information in the appendices.

Can't wait for the extras where Philippa Boyens smugly proclaims Tolkien would have loved her Gandalf/Galadriel/Radagast love triangle fanfiction.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

kiimo posted:

edit: and a Mountain Dew scary ghost army.

loving this. Horrible poo poo.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Oasx posted:

The fact that Peter Jackson cut out Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire, makes me have faith that he knows what he is doing, they could have easily spent an hour on those two thing and would have added nothing

Yet he added/changed stuff that ended up sucking rear end.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I didn't mind the army so much as the ridiculous avalanche of skulls in the mountain. I remember sitting in the theatre choking back laughter and being thoroughly amazed that no one else seemed to find it hilariously over the top.

That scene was in the EE right?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Silver Brushes posted:

I know a lot of people disagree but the only big of CG in LOTR that looks glaringly awful is the eagle flying over the mountains in Fellowship. And maybe Gollum's teaser/close-up in Moria but neither really bother me enough to want them changed.

Technically, the Gollum shots look fantastic, they're just grating because the design is so obviously different from the final product.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Octy posted:

Well, i guess she's hot, but there's just something slightly off about her. She doesn't really look like an Elf. She doesn't have that same 'mystical' look as Galadriel and Arwen. I can't really explain it.

Of course I am looking at a photo on a toy package and it's probably a bad angle so I'll reserve judgegment for when we see her on screen.

It's because she's posing like a loving pin-up.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Octy posted:

drat it, I have way too much spare time. I cannot wait for the inevitable EEs of The Hobbit movies to come out, which I guess will be 2015ish.

Also, they should have changed the story and kept Boromir alive. God knows I get teary eyed every single time. One movie down, two more to go!

If they follow the same release schedule as LOTR, the EEs will be released around a year after the theatrical release of their respective movie.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

They are based on the movies so I don't even know what you nerds are spergin about.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Colonel Whitey posted:

If 48fps is the intended viewing mode, why is it so rare (relatively)? I would have to drive 2 hours to see it in IMAX/3D/48fps even though I'm in a major-ish city with a fully featured state of the art IMAX theatre. Why bother going to the trouble of filming this high profile trilogy in this new format if the distribution effectively makes it just a 'limited edition' version of the film? It's never going to catch on this way and I imagine that only cinephiles are going to know or care about 48fps.

It had a harsh backlash at Cinemacon, a convention for theater owners, which made New Line seriously reconsider their push of the tech.

Remember these guys would love a "new" 3D again to relive the glory days of Avatar, so the negative feedback was taken very seriously.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Hedrigall posted:

we thought "ok he's the goofy looking one with the bowl haircut". But since reading the Official Movie Guide I know that in the movies he'll be the young, shy one who's been sheltered his entire life and this is his first journey out into the world; and he looks up to his brother Nori who is a bit of a rough/badass type; and he has a complicated relationship with his other brother Dori, who acts more like a fussy parent to him and doesn't want him on the trip, so Ori is keen to prove himself; and he also feels empathy with Bilbo as they're both naive fish-out-of-water types on this trip; and over the course of the films we'll see him grow in bravery to the point where, years later, he'll be one of Balin's crew who goes to take back Moria and dies tragically in the chamber of Marzabul. I mean, that's actually a lot of character arc, he's not just the goofy-looking one.

Let's see how much of this actually makes it into the movies.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

PJ just posted on facebook that a new video will be up soon. What "soon" means is anyones guess though... EDIT: Beaten... drat you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I both envy and do not envy you. I envy getting to work at Weta and on such a big film, I do not envy the long hours at all.

Long hours doesn't matter one bit if you: 1) Get paid 2) Love what you do 3) Have awesome colleagues

«2 »