Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It is a weird day at work to walk in and hear high-level executives singing a Dwarven song while getting coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Here's what others are saying about the trailer...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/the-hobbit-unexpected-journey-trailer-reactions-review-275882p

94 images from the trailer...

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/94-Images-From-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey-Trailer-28465.html

10 things we learned...

http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/10-things-we-learned-from-the-hobbit-trailer

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

One of the biggest problems with Fellowship that I was anticipating was catching the audience up on what was going on.

Phillipa Boyens hit a grand slam with that opening epic at the beginning of Fellowship.

My mom knew what was going on and that, believe me, is very impressive.

I have full faith that the beginning of the Hobbit will do likewise.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

spixxor posted:

Can you imagine trying to keep 13 different character straight onscreen if they were all little Gimli clones? Especially for non-nerds who don't know them all by name? They had to do something to distinguish them from one another.

I got the feeling that young dwarves look normal and get more dwarvish as they age? Maybe?

I dunno. Don't dwarves live like a couple hundred years if I remember my Rolemaster correctly?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If that shot means that Gandalf and Galadriel are in a relationship then Frodo and Sam have been rear end banging in every truck stop bathroom from Bree to the Black Gate.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rencall posted:

It's expected they'd have some history together. Gandalf is like a bazillion years old, and Galadriel is close behind him. Maybe a thousand years ago Gandalf wasn't sporting a ZZ top beard and he had the hots for her before he started looking like homeless santa clause.

No Gandalf has always looked like that. He was put in the body of an old man to keep him humble.

Plus I'm siding with no way does he stoop to that level. Maiar boning Elves is akin to a scientist boning a chimpanzee in my book.

Unless of course your book regarding Elves is written by Raymond E. Feist, then it goes without saying that Maiar sexually enslave Elves and destroy them on a moments whim.

edit: and we're through the looking glass.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

keep punching joe posted:

Do Wizards eat and therefore do they also poop?

If you take wizard poop and dry it out and put it in a box you could use it to fertilize the whole Shire if you use it sparingly.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

the Bunt posted:

I didn't even know LOTR existed until ads for the Fellowship movie started coming out. I was so stoked to see that there was some gigantic epic that was directly related to The Hobbit!

Then I tried to read the first book and got bored to tears at Tom Bombadil so I decided to just wait for the movies.

I've said this in the past but it must be said again. There is a certain moment when trying to force your friends or family to read Lord of the Rings that you must warn them about.

It should be phrased as "There comes a time early on when the Hobbits encounter Tom Bombadil followed by an excruciatingly long period mucking about in the Barrow Downs that you must get through. For my sake, please crack on till you reach Bree."

I, for one, am wholly glad they eradicated that section in the movies. Nerds be damned, that section is a story killer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't know if anybody played Lord of the Rings Online like my huge nerd self but I loved their depiction of Tom Bombadil. In that I loved how this godlike figure was a drunken Kentucky hillbilly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like to watch the Balrog scene while imagining what the Balrog was thinking.

Like- I have come back to the realm of men to destroy poo poo. I hear a commotion in the great hall. I sense there is some fun poo poo to destroy. Much more fun than these pitiful goblins. I'm gonna go there now! Destroy! Ha! these men can't run from me, I am Balrog! What is this old man thinking turning around, I am Balrog! What is this shall not pass nonsense I will destroy y-

Flame of Anor? No loving way. He's lying. Time to chop this lying maggot in half. WTF?? My sword is useless against this thing! Surely he is not Maiar?! Surely. I can't chop him! (Blows out frustrated nose flames). I am going to crush this thing once and for oh no! I am falling! I shall not fall alone! You little loving whatever you are, you're going to! Got you! Ha ha! You see what happens when you mess with Mighty Balrog! You see wh- OW!! What the hell was th- gently caress OW!! He's got some kind of demon needl- OW!! Holy gently caress that hurts! You motherf..take that! Get off my horn you little fu- OW! What the hell is this thing? AAAAAHHH MY loving NECK!

You get the idea. He was only back for a short while and randomly encounters another Maiar who kills him dead. Sucks for the Balrog.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I consider myself to be pretty obsessed with Tolkien as is everybody taking time out of their lives to post in this thread.

I would actively dislike a Silmarillion film as I actively disliked reading it. No thanks. I like hearing what happened second hand but that was an exasperating read.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I like the idea that the Hobbits can live for about as long as they want.

I like this idea because it pleases me to think that Bilbo stuck around long enough to see Sam, Legolas and Gimli again.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

But Hobbits are mortals. I read that as the Hobbits and Gimli are going to die but get to choose when they want to go in the Undying Lands. The elves live forever.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nuggan posted:

Right, I'm saying Hobbits don't get to choose when to die unless they are in the undying lands. I'm sorry if I was confused about your original statement, but it seemed to me that you were thinking all hobbits got to choose when they die, not just the ones who sailed away.

No I'm just saying that Bilbo and Frodo, being in the undying lands aren't going to die right away. Bilbo without the ring was on death's doorstep. He goes to Valinor and keeps living.

At some point Legolas builds a ship and takes Gimli and Sam to Valinor. When they get there, I assume Bilbo and Frodo are still alive and welcome them when they arrive.

I refuse to believe otherwise because I like the idea too much. (Edit: even though Tolkien makes it intentionally vague whether Legolas brought Gimli, we all know he did)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I definitely read that they were gone from Middle Earth, which would put finality on the Ents as a race. Basically since this is a UK mythology everything but Men has to die out or be eradicated.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nilbop posted:

Oh for goodness sake.

Hanzel and Gretel had children pushing an old lady into an oven.

And look how normal Germanic tribes' children turned out.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Haahhrrrvööödaendt, Lehhhrgöleehhrs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He just can't yell. John Wayne also had that problem. He had the weirdest voice when he yelled.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Octy posted:

I had a chat with my uncle the other day who had come over from New Zealand after having spent a bit of time on the film as an extra. My only prior knowledge of such business comes from Ricky Gervais, and from the way my uncle described it, it sounds like a gruelling exercise, mostly in tedium and discomfort. I'm talking about having to wear four layers of winter clothing in 25 degree heat; spending all day around a bonfire, posing for scenes and inhaling smoke; getting up at 5am and home at 11.30pm; having to listen to a poncy Belgian director make requests in a poncy Belgian accent.
I worked in film and television production for years when I first moved to Los Angeles.

It was extremely difficult to admit (but now extremely easy to admit) just how much I hated it, considering the fact that I moved here to follow a dream of being a producer/working in production.

You have to be made for it. Now I think it is just as important to follow a dream and realize you hate it as it is to follow a dream and have it work out. I'll never regret a decision to choose not to pursue it further.

You have to be okay with long and unpredictable hours, standing around a LOT, not having a "homebase" or office or computer, filing you taxes as an independent contractor, basically having everything not be on any kind of a rhythm. In addition, if you aren't an actor, director, producer, writer or art department, there is very little creativity you can contribute. Crew is more like movers or construction. Union guys. Tool belts. Walkie talkies. That sort of thing.

I completely understand people who find that exciting but I found it excruciating and actually prefer an office, a daily regiment, the ability to work out every day and 72 degree air conditioning.

It took a long time for me to realize this about myself. If you are an extra, be prepared to do absolutely nothing for like 12 hours. If you are crew, be prepared to spend hours breaking everything down after the director and talent go home at 1:00am. I salute these people. Total nightmare for me though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I am listening to this at work and loving it and somebody came by that is actually working on the Hobbit and told me that I was a huge nerd.

Thought I'd share.

I am unfazed and still listening

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like there is about ten percent chance Smaug is going to be anything other than cheesy nonsense. I normally have faith in Peter Jackson but I feel like this is the biggest pitfall in the entire endeavor. To be clear if they make it too serious they'll ruin it and if they make it too silly they'll ruin it and if he's too lizard they'll ruin it and if they make it too Kraken from the Clash reboot they'll ruin it and if I see any Godzilla in it at all they'll ruin it.

Basically anything short of a grand slam in innovative artistic genius will be a total abject failure. Confidence is not high for me because the chips seem to be stacked against success. Considering the reaction PJ had to seeing Guillermo del Toro's Smaug drawing I'm thinking he understands the stakes but that doesn't always guarantee positive results. Am I wrong?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

What about making him look like this?

Amazing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

An observer posted:

I like this kind of snakey Smaug:

That's amazing.

I feel this discussion about legs has only produced two thoughts in my head the entire time.

The four leg version

and the two leg version

Thank you for providing something perfect to compete with these two dragons, both of which I love.

For the record, I hate both Howe's dragon as well as Lee's.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shanty posted:

Ha! An extra set of limbs isn't a bad solution, actually. Just to make him seem even more impossibly long and snaky.

Having eight limbs takes care of the evolution nerds too.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

My older brother walked out of Fellowship half-way through. In his defense he was sick and I told him there was another hour and a half left.

He now owns the extended versions on Blu-Ray but that just makes what he did even more unforgivable.

Also my highly religious mom is the worst allegory fiend in the world. At the end of Return of the King that beautiful moment where the eagles so delicately picked up Sam and Frodo was ruined by her whispering in my ear, "And he will raise you up on eagles wings!!"

ugh.

It really is funny how people who see allegories in LOTR see the allegory they want to see. Try to guess what my history major/WW2 fanatic roommate thinks it is about. Hint: Gandalf is McArthur and Saruman is Rommel.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah I've read that, told them about that. It does no good. Of course he has to say that they'll say.

Besides the part where he wrote a lot of it before WW2 if any kind of allegory exists it has more to do with WW1 and mythology. Frodo's life after coming back to the Shire comes to mind, as does his relationship with Sam.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Pretty sure I remember Tolkien being pissed the hippies in the 60's/70's were finding all kinds of allegory to their movements, be it cultural revolution or drugs or whatever.

edit: Frodo lives! = Kilroy was here

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have to say I'm with Tolkien on hating allegory. I read Animal Farm as a kid and loved it. Then my dad told me about communism. Then I re-read it and hated it. I was halfway through The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when my friend told me it was a Christian allegory. It cheapened everything. I feel like it's somebody tricking me into learning some lesson they feel is valuable and when I realize it I feel like a sucker. It's like going on a free vacation to Orlando and when you get there it is a time-share nightmare.

I'm sitting here trying to think of an enjoyable allegory and I can't. I'd much rather read a great story and come to my own epiphanies on what lessons are valuable.

What if you finished Dune and someone is like...that's the story of Jesus. (thanks Bill Hicks)

edit: to be fair I'm talking about books. Allegorical movies are fine. X-Men doesn't bother me.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 4, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think it has elements of a lot of things. I've never heard that though. Please don't link a Herbert quote that that's true and crush my world.

Plus I don't think he sat down and said, okay the Atreides are Russia, Arrakis is the Persian Gulf, Shaddam is so and so...I think it has thematic elements of a situation or a framework to tell the story but the story itself isn't a representation of actual events or anything.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 4, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It never occurred to me that only the Hobbits disappear when they slip the ring on. Wow.

edit: in reference to this

Recursive Expanse posted:

Even the one ring is implied to only be able to draw on the power of it's wielder. It's not in the published version of the Silmarillion, but in the last written version of Isildor's fall, the one ring didn't turn him invisible. Sure, being invisible meant that someone was close to the shadowy world of the Wraiths, but the reason that the hobbits turned invisible is implied to be because they were naturally so drat sneaky. Instead of invisibility, Isildor was seen by orcs as a force of nature that would destroy them all in his presence.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 4, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is probably a good time to mention that I was incredibly disappointed with Galadriel revealing she has a ring of power to Frodo in the film.

That passage was so cinematic in my mind's eye, her holding it up to the star.

gently caress I'll just quote it.

quote:

She lifted up her white arms, and spread out her hands towards the East in a gesture of rejection and denial. Eärendil, the Evening Star, most beloved of the Elves, shone clear above. So bright was it that the figure of the Elven-lady cast a dim shadow on the ground. Its rays glanced upon a ring about her finger; it glittered like polished gold overlaid with silver light, and a white stone in it twinkled as if the Even-star had come down to rest upon her hand. Frodo gazed at the ring with awe; for suddenly it seemed to him that he understood.

'Yes', she said, divining his thought, 'it is not permitted to speak of it, and Elrond could not do so. But it cannot be hidden from the Ring-Bearer, and one who has seen the Eye. Verily it is in the land of Lórien upon the finger of Galadriel that one of the Three remains. This is Nenya, the Ring of Adamant, and I am its keeper.
He suspects, but he does not know - not yet. Do you see now wherefore your coming is to us as the footstep of Doom? For if you fail, then we are laid bare to the Enemy. Yet if you succeed, then our power is diminished, and Lothlórien will fade, and the tides of Time will sweep it away. We must depart into the West, or dwindle to a rustic folk of dell and cave, slowly to forget and to be forgotten.'

Frodo bent his head. 'And what do you wish?' he said at last.

'That what should be shall be,' she answered. 'For the fate of Lothlórien you are not answerable, but only for the doing of your own task. Yet I could wish, were it of no avail, that the One Ring had never been wrought, or had remained for ever lost.'

You are wise and fearless and fair, Lady Galdriel,' said Frodo. 'I will give you the One Ring, if you ask for it. It is too great a matter for me.'

Galadriel laughed with a sudden clear laugh. 'Wise the Lady Galadriel may be,' she said, 'yet here she has met her match in courtesy. Gently are you revenged for my testing of your heart at our first meeting. You begin to see with a keen eye. I do not deny that my heart greatly desired to ask what you offer. For many long years I have pondered what I might do, should the Great Ring come into my hands, and behold! it was brought within my grasp. The evil that was devised long ago works in many ways, whether Sauron himself stands or falls. Would not that have been a noble deed to set the credit of this Ring, if I had taken it by force or fear from my guest?

And now at last it comes. You will give me the Ring freely! In place of a Dark Lord you will set up a Queen. And I shall not be dark but beautiful and terrible as the morning and the Night! Fair as the Sea and the Sun and the Snow upon the Mountain! Dreadful as the Storm and the Lightning! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth. All shall love me and despair!'

She lifted up her hand and from the ring that she wore there issued a great light that illumined her alone and left all else dark. She stood before Frodo seeming now tall beyond measurement, and beautiful beyond enduring, terrible and worshipful. Then she let her hand fall, and the light faded, and suddenly she laughed again, and lo! she was shrunken: a slender elf-woman, clad in simple white, whose gentle voice was soft and sad.

'I pass the test', she said. 'I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel.' "

That's such an amazing passage and one of the few complaints I had about the film was the depiction of this scene.

Frankly it could have been so much better.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 4, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm willing to bet every penny I own that 9-11 had zero influence, intended or otherwise, on any Lord of the Rings film in any way whatsoever.

As the editors, director and post production staff are slaving away in editing bays in New Zealand while a terrorist attack on a country on the other side of the planet scrolls across television sets do you really think they stop to say oh hey this is big news let's do some re-shoots!

gently caress no. The only conversation they had was the title The Two Towers. I bet a conference call and maybe a couple emails with a nervous New Line SVP took place. It was probably a fifteen minute phone call that ended with Bob Shaye saying "This is a silly conversation, we're not changing a title that was written forty years ago".

I am dumbfounded anybody is seriously considering this. It took years after 9-11 for it to leak into music, television and films in any way other than news.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I must point out that Lilo & Stitch (released 2002) was originally scripted and very nearly completed with a climactic scene that involved a jetliner flying through a cityscape and I think maybe crashing into a building (or coming close). After 9/11 happened they pulled the fastest rewrite/rerecord/relayout/reanimation maneuver in living feature-animation memory, and no one was ever the wiser.

E: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op__y45ei0s

Yeah I probably should have phrased that better. I meant intentionally adding things to reference it, not altering or removing things that unintentionally referenced it. This contradicts what I was talking about with the title I do realize.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kemchimikemkem posted:

One thing I don't like about Tolkien is how black-and-white his villains/good guys are. Real life is almost never that plain. poo poo's morally grey.

That's just what a villain would say.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

So...are we still in the Fourth Age? Or did the Bessemer Process signify the Fifth Age?

One post and this is already the dumbest derail I can remember.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 8, 2012

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I'd be surprised if there isn't some voice-over wrap-up of everything at some point in the second movie that doesn't show Gollum wrestling with the decision to leave the mountains in search of the Ring.

This would be a fantastic epilogue or ending or near the ending. I'm actually going to be upset now if this scene isn't in the film.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Octy posted:

Is it ever explained why Illuvatar was such a dick as to only allow immortality for elves? I mean, surely those poor hobbits deserved it too?

True immortality is only given to everyone other than Elves if you think about it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Viridiant posted:

I feel better knowing that hobbits will have some part in creating an entire world.

There will always be buffets.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The hobbits the hobbits the hobbits the hobbits to Isengard to Isengard.

I've been listening for fifteen minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If they had actually done ten hours of footage and changed it up this would be the single greatest creation since Trapped In The Closet.

• Locked thread