Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh my loving Goddddddd that was awesome. So many moments when I felt chills down my spine, and that final image before the logo... oh wow.

Come on next Christmas!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My God I still get goosebumps thinking about the Riders of Rohan arriving at the Pelennor Fields in Return of the King, ESPECIALLY in the Extended Edition where it is timed so loving perfectly.

Witch-King: The Age of Man is over!
Motherfucking Rohan Battle-horn plays, goddamn motherfucking Riders of Rohan show up to kill some loving Orcs :hellyeah:

Then Theoden makes THIS speech, and the Orcs fire on the frontline and then realize THEY'RE STILL COMING! :derp:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not really a fan of 3D in movies, and after seeing Tintin (which loving ruled as a movie, godDAMN!) I didn't feel it made very good use of 3D. That said, they played the Hobbit trailer in 3D before the movie and holy gently caress did it look good in 3D. They added so much depth and "solidity" to what I was seeing on the screen, I actually really want to see the movie in 3D now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

While I was gagging to see Fellowship before it came out, I didn't actively seek out "spoilers" for the visuals of particular things. As a result the Balrog's look was completely new to me the first time it stepped out of the flame and the shadow, and I wouldn't give up my :aaa: reaction to first seeing that for anything. Did they actually release any imagery of the Balrog before the movie was released? And is it too much to ask/hope that they manage to keep Smaug under wraps as well?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Speaking of which, the extended edition documentaries? drat near as good as the movies themselves. I think I've watched them more times at this point.

One of my favorite bits from the documentaries is in Fellowship when Sean Bean talks about his crippling fear of flying and how he climbed a loving mountain in full Boromir costume so he wouldn't have to fly up in the helicopter. :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kiimo posted:

You get the idea. He was only back for a short while and randomly encounters another Maiar who kills him dead. Sucks for the Balrog.

I loving love the description of their battle in The Two Towers - it's been awhile since I read it but I believe it's something along the lines of:

Gandalf: We did battle on the summit and smote the mountain about us, and then I cast him down to his doom.

Gandalf is a silly funny Wizard who likes to blow smoke rings and then BAM HE IS A loving ARCHANGEL OF DESTRUCTION bam he likes riding horses and having a drink down to pub. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wonder if Peter Jackson wakes up in a sweat some nights thinking,"Oh God they're going to ask me to do the Silmarillion next...."?

Or maybe he wakes up in a sweat thinking,"Oh God they're NOT going to ask me to do the Silmarillion next...."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Honestly right now anything that gets in the way of me getting my Peter Jackson directed Tintin sequel is something I'm going to want to fight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One thing I was sad to see not in the movies (even the Extended Editions from memory) is Gimli and Legolas' selling to the other their idea of beauty. Gimli talking about the beautiful caverns behind Helm's Deep for example, or how it's mentioned in the books that after Gimli showed them to him Legolas was basically left speechless as he finally understood what Dwarves saw in caves and rocks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Twat McTwatterson posted:

one thing that has always bugged me... i don't have a copy of fellowship handy at this moment, so bear with me...

in the second chapter, a shadow from the past, in the green dragon tavern, i think it was bill ferny who said he saw something walking through the trees... i forget his exact description, but huddled around the pub everyone is talking about how queer things seemed these days, how many strangers are appearing on the roads... and bill ferny says he has seen what are basically ent-wives. is this correct?

he doesn't say ent-wife, of course, but what he describes is essentially that. sorry I can't be more clear. anyone know what i'm talking about?

I just looked through Chapter Two now and Sam says his cousin saw a "Tree-Man" bigger than an Elm walking beyond the North Moors. Nobody believes him and they get a few laughs out of it before talking about the Elves, but the description is pretty vague and second-hand. I'd say it would be far more likely to have been an Ent than an Ent-Wife, since the latter are described as small and hunched over and this was described as a giant. It could even have been a troll, or straight up just a giant.

Or maybe Sam's cousin just smoked too much pipe-weed?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love in the books when they suggest adding Glorfindel to the Fellowship and Gandalf (loving GANDALF!) pretty much says,"Are you kidding me? Put Glorfindel on the team and Sauron is going to make a loving beeline right for us because he'll know something HUGE is going on."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's a theme I created entirely in my own mind, but I'm really hoping to see an old and bowed down Saruman get tempted by Sauron and restored to the tall, straight-backed power we see in Fellowship who then "chases" off the Necromancer, leaving the White Council thinking,"Oh loving awesome Saruman was faking being old and weak and actually he's just as powerful as ever things are going to be all right with him in charge!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm pretty sure they at least knocked in the book. And he offered them food and drink (which bothered him but he felt like he had to do it).

I love that in the book, he has no idea who the gently caress they are or what they're talking about, but goddammit he has duties as a host and he will perform them!

Octy posted:

Will he ever have time (and source material) to become 'Maia' Peter Jackson?

Didn't he already face down the Balrog when he took on the studio over the royalty payments for the LOTR movies?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nurse Fanny posted:

They'd fight like that scene in Gladiator where they each were tied to another fighter. Except balls.

Smaug rolled over on his back,"See, little hair-tangler!" he boomed,"Even my balls are protected!"
"Indeed they are, mighty Smaug!" agreed Bilbo, but in his mind he delighted,'Why the old fool's balls are as wrinkled and vulnerable as an old coney!'

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Super.Jesus posted:

This is why most invented languages in other works sound like mumbo jumbo or english with different words.

That makes me so frakking mad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A Typical Goon posted:

One of my favourite scenes from the Hobbit is when they meet Beorn, and the dwarves all walk out of hthe forest five minutes after each other and play it off like they didn't do it on purpose and Beorn doesn't care. Might be hard to put into film, but it's a good light hearted part that I think would be awesome for the tone of the movie.

If I remember right, isn't it down to Gandalf warning that Beorn doesn't like too many strangers about, so Gandalf starts telling Beorn the story of their adventure and keeps ramping up the numbers so Beorn will go,"Hang on but there's only four of yo.... oh here comes another one?" until finally they're ALL there?

Spoiler-tagged just to be on the safe side, if it is included in the movie I think it would be hilarious just for McKellan trying to act absent-minded.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rawk Hawk posted:

They'll have to establish the fact that this dude understands birds and why though

I imagine that'll be as straightforward as when Bilbo and the Dwarves are chilling in Laketown, one of them notices Bard and says,"Who's that grimfaced man?" and the reply is,"Oh that's Bard... he's an odd one. Descended from Kings they say, spends lots of time in the woods, they say he can talk to the animals. Lot of nonsense if you ask me."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

eating only apples posted:

Bofur is the best dwarf :allears:

Bombur supremacy! :colbert:

Though to be fair, I remember in the books my absolute favorite for no reason I could really articulate was Balin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really think it's likely to end at the Barrel Ride, I think part 1 will be about Bilbo's transformation from comfortably fat, respectable middle-aged Hobbit to bad-rear end little invisible thief/spider-killer who breaks the Dwarves out of Mirkwood and escapes down the river, with the final shot being the camera panning away from the river and the barrels to show The Lonely Mountain looming up over the horizon. Cue the theme music over the credits and a collective groan of despair as the audience realizes it has to wait another year for Part 2.

Also at least one dude saying,"Woah it's over? I wonder if they'll make a sequel?" like I know people did at the end of Fellowship.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember reading a newspaper review of Two Towers that said,"When Theoden asks how can men fight such unrelenting hate, it's CLEARLY a reference to al Qaeda and the 9/11 terrorist attacks." :doh:

Am I misremembering or was there a small movement from somewhere to change the name of the movie because otherwise it would be disrespectful to the victims of 9/11 or some other crazy horseshit?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

kiimo posted:

gently caress I'll just quote it.

Goddamn I love that passage so much, the line,"All shall love me and despair!" is loving perfection.

I liked the way it was done in the movie, especially the shift from CGI'ed, inhuman, unreal looking "Queen" to the real, mentally exhausted but completely satisfied Galadriel who accepts her fate - but I don't think anything could ever equal or surpass the impact of the passage as written in the book.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mahoning posted:

As to the idea of the One Ring not making everybody invisible, I remember reading something about it in The Letters of JRR Tolkien. A reader wrote in asking how Isildur cut the ring from Sauron's hand, shouldn't he have been invisible while wearing it. Tolkien responded by saying that the Ring's power, when not on the hand of its master, would be twisted into a power that was never intended by Sauron. So basically invisibility was never a power that was inherent in the Ring when Sauron forged it, but rather it was a by-product of lesser creatures wielding the power. I don't have the book in front of me, but I'll find it in the next couple of days and see if I can find the particular letter I'm speaking of.

I think it also pays to keep in mind that Sauron IS The Lord of the Rings. The One Ring serves no master but him, it exerts influence over everyone except him because it basically is him - or rather "the greater part of his power". When the Ring is on Sauron's finger, they're both whole, without the ring Sauron is a shadow of his former power, and the ring just does things like turn the bearer invisible/gently caress with their mind and the minds of anyone nearby.

Boromir wanted to harness the power of the Ring and use it against Mordor, but I don't think he had any idea of HOW to do that beyond thinking that if he (or his dad) wore the ring, they'd be able to master it and make it do whatever they wanted it to do. That would never happen, the ring is only ever going to do the bidding of Sauron.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I also liked that the people of the Shire consider Merry and Pippin the big heroes of the story. Not that they have anything against Frodo, they still like and respect him.... but Merry and Pippin man, they went out there and they got poo poo done!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love the old lady (the one who amusingly irritates Aragorn) of Gondor who spots Frodo during the big celebrations and explains her understanding of what happened to the guy next to her. From memory it's something like,"Oh and that must be the Prince of the Halflings, he walked straight into Mordor and bopped Sauron on the nose, he did!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

P Funk Chainsaw posted:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/6390709/Connolly-to-play-Hobbit-great-dwarf

This could be hilarious or terribad, but Billy Connoly is pretty awesome.

Oh my God, this rules.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Because Isildur was the one to pick it up and be corrupted by it, Elrond gets the benefit of saying,"The strength of men failed!", implying that if HE (or any Elf, really) had the ring, he would have totally destroyed it, so gently caress those human assholes.

Maybe he would have, too. Sauron's physical body had only just been destroyed and presumably the power of the ring was at its weakest. But I think it's notable that Elrond doesn't step up to the plate in Rivendell and volunteer himself or one of his "stronger" Elves to take the ring to the Cracks of Doom and destroy it - he just says it needs to be done and somebody needs to do it.

Edit: Which reminds me, I love Gandalf's face when Frodo volunteers, it's a beautiful mixture of despair/pride/acceptance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah but isn't it pretty much,"They can live there as long as they want, and they only die when they choose to"?

And then their souls are basically weaved into the fabric of whatever new universe eventually replaces the old one?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wait, Elrond is Galadriel's son-in-law?

Vigilance posted:

Every Elf in the films talked like they were on some sort of drug, it's just that the Celeborn actor took that even to another level.

But seriously considering every Elf talked in that stupid voice I'm thinking it was a directorial choice. I guess they wanted the Elves to sound mystical or wise or something.

"Nine there were who set out from Rivendell yet only eight do I count! :stare:"
"Yeah.... uhhh... we'll just sleep in the trees tonight if you don't mind, buddy."
"Twas a gangrel creature whom we didst se-"
"Yeah yeah... we're uhhh... we're tired, we're going to sleep now."

I was so happy when he got killed at Helm's Deep.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Celebron didn't go to Helms Deep. Haldir did. The elf who brings them to Celebron and Galadriel.

Yeah that's the dude I'm talking about, in reference to Vigilance's post about all the Elves in the films sounding so weird. Haldir sounded the weirdest to me, though that may be because he had more lines than the rest of them other than Galadriel and Elrond.

Edit: Although now I'm guessing that I mixed up one of Celebron's lines with one of Haldir's (the "nine left Rivendell" one), which is causing the confusion.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was Fellowship the first time a movie did the "The bad guy is such a loving BEAST that when he gets stabbed through the gut he just grabs the weapon and hauls himself closer" spot? I recall seeing it a bunch AFTER Fellowship, and they pretty much all seemed lame and sucked in comparison (especially in that godawful Star Trek film which so horribly misused Tom Hardy).

Aragorn cutting the Uruk-Hai's head off after it hauled itself along his sword was an incredible moment in the film.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Effingham posted:

Mordred and Arthur had that same thing in Excalibur (which you need to see right away if you haven't yet) over twenty years ago.

I have seen it, and loved it, but I last saw it probably 20+ years ago so I should really watch it again!

Barry Foster posted:

Jesus, that's unpleasant to watch. More fight scenes should be like this, and really show how unglamorous, inelegant, short and incredibly nasty violence actually is. I'm really glad I didn't live in the Middle Ages (not that modern violence is any better).

It's not a movie, but if you want to see a fascinating, compelling, incredibly uncomfortable physical fight you need to check out the fight between Dan and the Captain from Deadwood.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

The trailer-swordfight in Kill Bill 2 was also gritty, in how they use the very small environment in amazing ways. The ending is probably the best ending to a duel ever.

It's far more stylistic, but I enjoyed the almost anti-climactic end to her final confrontation with Bill as well. That trailer fight is exceptional though, those two women loving HATE each other.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't help but be delighted that your kid refers to The Hobbit as "the mr bilbo baggins story", it's just perfect.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Octy posted:

Let's talk about Viggo some more. Apparently during the filming of the scene when Aragorn is drifting down the rapids, they miscalculated just how strong the water was so that Viggo was in fact pulled about fifteen feet underwater. It was only by pure luck when he accidentally kicked against a rock that he was able to propel himself to the surface.

I love in the special features when he talks about one of the hobbit stunt doubles suddenly saying to him WHILE they're in the boats going down the river that he can't swim and if he goes over the side to just let him drown so it doesn't wreck the shot, and Viggo's :stare: reaction.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Supersheep posted:

The Hobbit premiere is going to be a nightmare.

I remember going to the midnight screening for the first day of Fellowship's release, and feeling incredibly tense that I was finally going to see this movie. After the preview trailers were done, the lights went down and everybody went absolutely silent, and the Lord of the Rings title came up on screen.... and somebody took a picture of the screen.

Everybody burst out laughing and all the tension just flew out of the room, and everybody relaxed and settled in for a loving amazing movie experience that ended with,"Let's hunt orc!" :hellyeah:

God bless you, Mr. Photo Man, whoever you were.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bring in early 70s Klaus Kinski to play Glorfindel, leave everybody confused and Peter Jackson bald from tearing his hair out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

euphronius posted:

The barrel location is from the first making of movies right?

Yeah that was the end of their location filming for the first movie so I'm fairly confident movie 1 is going to end with the barrel ride down the river and then probably on a closing shot of Laketown and The Lonely Mountain which is going to be loving awesome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Definitely read the whole thing, I do find the Barrow Downs stuff a slog but after that things pick up and the books just gets better and better and better until Sam says,"I'm home," and you realize you've sped through all of the books and the story is over.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yep, and I feel loving terrible that I remembered the words wrong now :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Worst. Present. Ever.

"Gee, um...thanks Eru. No really, it's just what I've always, err...wanted" :geno:

Eru: At the end of time your spirits will be woven into the fabric of the new universe and you will become as one with eternity, lifting to a higher plane of existence than can be conceived by mortal or immortal alike.
Man: Yeah.... but the Elves' butts never sag!

• Locked thread