Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

By the way, if you want your Hobbit trailer spoiled, I have updated the OP with a leaked breakdown of the trailer content.

Oh god the temptation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

Medical posted:

So when these make a billion dollars, what fantasy properties will Hollywood greenlight to try and cash in?

Lord of the Rings reboot, obviously.

edit: woops, top of a new page. Lets celebrate the release of the first Hobbit trailer with a retrospective!

Lord of the Rings:
http://youtu.be/w-7x5D3v6jE

Fellowship:
http://youtu.be/NJo84rOuOXs

Two Towers:
http://youtu.be/cG-1Gtus7KQ

Return of the King:
http://youtu.be/I7YllAOqpF4

The kick-rear end music in the Return of the King trailer can be found in the movie soundtrack during "The Realm of Gondor", at 6:00
http://youtu.be/h_JfHLs2Nc4#t=6m00s

Beach fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 20, 2011

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

C-Euro posted:

I have nothing new to add to this thread other than holy poo poo this is actually going to get made after all. Interesting that they're splitting it into two films though if they plan on cramming a bunch of LotR backstory into them then it seems like a sound choice. On its own The Hobbit wasn't any longer than any of the individual LotR books, was it?

No, it is significantly shorter. You can finish the Hobbit in an afternoon.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

Abnegatus posted:

I ripped the dwarven singing and am giving all my fellow goons access to the tracks. One has an ending dialogue attached to it, the other has it without.

http://soundcloud.com/abnegatus

If this doesn't let you download, just shoot me to another audio hosting site and I'll upload it there.

This cool man thanks for sharing.

I love the music pickup in the trailer at 1:50. Hopefully they will throw us a bone and prerelease some of the movie tracks. I am pretty sure the fellowship soundtrack was out several months in advance of the actual film.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

For being ten years old now the effects on the Balrog are still amazing. In the cast commentary they talk about how the CGI effect for fire was developed during the production of fellowship's after effects, and the movie is the first ever implementation of computer generated flames.

edit: So the Orcs/Goblins run from the Balrog and obviously fear it, do we think it was stirred by the presence of the ring or Gandalf himself? Maybe the reason Gandalf didn't flat out put his foot down over going through Moria is because he just didn't know if the he/the ring would awaken it. It's obvious the dwarves there were slain by Orcs, not the Balrog.

So what do we think the Balrog would have done with the ring, if anything?

Beach fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 29, 2011

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

TheBuilder posted:

I made a cool Glorfindel wallpaper for your computer desktops, I hope you Glorfindel fans will love it.

I have unashamedly made this my work desktop for all to see.

edit: oh jesus top of the page again. Content!

This was posted much, much earlier in the thread and I ended up ordering a few for gifts for the holidays.

The Hobbit or There and Back Again

Once I had them I decided to keep one for myself. I really like the quality of the sleeve and binding, and the pages are flecked with green giving it a kind of neat feeling of spectacular fantasy that's within.

The real reason I bring it up though is that all the illustrations inside were done by J.R.R. himself, so as we discuss things in the thread I am constantly referencing the novel in both written word and illustrations to get an idea of what the big man himself actually saw in his head.

Beach fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 6, 2012

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Can't wait for Howard Shore's (undoubtedly fantastic) The Hobbit score? This guy has you covered, sort of. Pretty great effort.

Great effort, indeed. Very well done.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

I mean if you are involved in something as awesome, timeless and recognizable as the nine members of the Fellowship from the massive, sprawling and successful Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which is getting at least one prequel in the form of the Hobbit, and maybe some day some Silmarillion love, why the hell not get the tattoo?

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

I noticed the mountain, Mt. Taranaki, marked on the map at about 1:50 and decided to look it up.

:stare:

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

I mean, at least there is a nearby lake to keep it company...

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

I can't wait to see Goblin Town, I hope they make it something special and not just Cave Interior Set B. Maybe some cruel looking goblin architecture that stands apart from the LOTR "style" we know so well.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

Grumio posted:

New production video (#7) up!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151028043926807

It's a behind-the-scenes tour of the studio, and a lot more comedic than the other ones

haha James Nesbitt (Bofur) to production assistant: "Don't look at me directly in the eyes"

I think this is their best one yet!

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

Oberleutnant posted:

There's also a poo poo load of stuff Aragorn got up to between Hobbit and LoTR. He fought against the Orcs for years, met Gandalf and Arwen, and established a guard over the Shire on Gandalf's orders. Most notably he wandered Middle Earth in disguise; becoming a captain in the armies of Rohan and Gondor. He also lead a naval invasion that burned the fleet of the Corsairs of Umbar and uprooted them from the West (part of the reason they were so ineffective in the War), fighting alonside a young Denethor.
He was basically waging a pre-emtive war against the weaker allies of Mordor, knowing that some larger conflict was inevitable, because Elrond would only allow him to marry Arwen if he was King of Gondor. After winning some huge battle or another he disappeared into the East for a few years, returning only shortly before LoTR to help Gandalf find Gollum.

Those few years between meeting Arwen and vanishing into the East would make an amazing film.

I would be very happy with an Aragorn focused LOTR prequel film, with elements of the Silmarillion story of Beren paralleled or referenced/retold throughout.

Beach fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 18, 2012

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

Chronicles of Middle Earth: The Dragon, the Wizard, and the Arkenstone.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

I'm not too worried. Bilbo spends the majority of the battle of five armies out cold in the book. They can spend a massive chunk of time on both the battle of five armies and the battle vs. the necromancer (not sure if spoiler needed) in a film setting.

Likely the first film will end with the barrel ride, the second will end after the confrontation with :smaug:, and the third will contain the fallout between the five armies and Bilbos eventual return home with the ring, with all the white council stuff mixed throughout the three.

I think if they stick to the stuff from the appendices they have already mentioned and the stuff from hobbit proper, with a couple of big battles they can fill out three pretty easy. I agree if they go further into speculation-town it could get weird though.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

It bothers me that Thorin's beard is so short :ohdear:

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

MortonTheCranium posted:

New group photo of the Dwarves. I like how Aidan Turner stands out so much.

I just feel like there should be so much more beard. Really not digging the young dwarf thing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

kiimo posted:

Fellowship reviews

:golfclap: You got me good. I've already got my midnight tickets, will reserve all judgement until I actually see the movie.

• Locked thread