Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ChaosTheory posted:

I hope the framerate thing doesnt make it look like TV. I never quite liked that 120hz smoothed out stuff.

The TV stuff looks weird because it wasn't filmed that way, it's just your TV filling in the gaps. If they do go with a higher frame rate, it'll be easier to handle because it was actually filmed that way instead of being done after the fact; it's like the difference between watching a movie filmed in 3D versus one made in 3D in post-production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

RichterIX posted:

It always sort of seemed to me in the movie that Gandalf knows what happened and is terrified of what might happen, but also that the likelihood is fairly high that they might come all the way through Moria without anyone noticing them.

It's silly, but it seems like he decides not to clue them in so that they don't freak out, although Pippin might have been less likely to start knocking poo poo down random wells if Gandalf had warned them not to make a sound.

Yeah, I took it as him being like "If I tell everybody there's an army down there, along with a giant fire demon, then everybody's gonna say 'gently caress it' and go home".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

canuckanese posted:

I think there might be some very brief glimpses of him in the first movie, I'm thinking along the lines of a shadow flying over someone on the ground or maybe some flames, especially if there are any flashbacks from the dwarves talking about how the mountain was lost in the first place or something along those lines. I doubt there will be a full shot of him at any point though because that would ruin the surprise in Movie 2.

Yeah, I figure they'll tease at him like they did with Gollum in Fellowship, and then when we finally see him HOLY poo poo A loving DRAGON.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I badly need to read the book again, its been way to long.

I broke in my Kindle with this, and it was absolutely delightful. I always get all giggly at the moment while Bilbo fights the spiders and realizes that even some little hobbit can be courageous and bold and adventurous.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Monkeyseesaw posted:

It'd be a bit more clever if Smaug's weakness was something else though. Sort of like the "No man may harm me" prophecy with the Witch King (ala MacBeth); give Smaug the invincible hide and then have him blindsided by something he didn't consider, some detail that was completely beneath him to ever think about. That's a sort of more classic literary treatment of hubris. As it is Smaug is simply wrong about how impenetrable his skin is.

Well, to be technical, it's not Smaug's skin that's impenetrable, it's the layer of jewels and gold that he lays on that sticks to his belly. He just lays on a big pile of riches and doesn't do anything with it, and it's that taking it for granted that leads to him not noticing a weak spot; Smaug's unchecked avarice is his downfall.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Rawk Hawk posted:

There's none given in the book, just chance really

Yeah, Bilbo just happens to notice that Smaug has a spot uncovered. Smaug doesn't notice because he's a dragon and too drat cool to pay attention to things like whether his weak spot is actually entirely covered.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Bard fires the arrow and then out of nowhere Legolas does a judo flip onto it and surfs the arrow, then runs up Smaug's back and stabs his eyes out, dives off his head and shoots a barrage of arrows into Smaug's open mouth as he falls before executing a perfect three point landing on a rooftop as Smaug's lifeless body crashes to the ground behind him in slow motion.

Then Gloin says "What a loving dick".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, they may not say "THIS ARROW IS MAGIC" but the whole point of that speech is to tell you that THIS IS A SPECIAL ARROW.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

People keep guessing the barrel ride, but I'm guessing it's going to be right when the elves capture the dwarfs, leave it on a cliffhanger.

This is basically what I'm thinking, yeah. The dwarves all get kidnapped, Bilbo has his hero moment with Sting and sets off the rescue them, credits.

Then Part 2 can open with the introduction to the Elven kingdom with Bilbo sneaking around and such. It seems like a really good spot to break things up to me.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Also at least one dude saying,"Woah it's over? I wonder if they'll make a sequel?" like I know people did at the end of Fellowship.

Teenage girls saying "THIS IS BULLSHIT, THEY DON'T EVEN GO TO THE MOUNTAIN?" at mine.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Data Graham posted:

At least he didn't use a spoon.

Why would he use a spoon?

;)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

etalian posted:

Yes and getting a R rating for Ironclad-esque realistic horrible deaths is not good from a box office perspective.

Pretty much. The higher the rating, the less money they make from large groups of teenage nerds going to see the movie together in theaters eight times in a row.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Yeah, as I recall the tone of the scene where Bilbo is killing those spiders is not "gently caress yeah Bilbo's so hardcore he's wrecking the poo poo out of those spiders", it's "Oh awesome, Bilbo's just gained the courage to become an adventurer in his own right and he's feeling really good about himself for fighting back against those spiders". That's not really the sort of thing that you need ludicrous displays of blood for.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Kemchimikemkem posted:

I'm glad. If you did, that would be cause for concern. Frankly I wouldn't want my kids, if I had kids, watching something like Ironclad, and this is PG 13 so, nothing too exciting.

I'm lookin forward to Bilbo's transition into a gangster burglar, but wonder how believable it's gonna be, whether it's subtly built up as he travels with the dwarves or comes out like that in a heated moment fighting the spiders. I don't know if I find that as believable as a gradual transformation, but who knows.

The way I always had it in my head was that Bilbo is constantly forced into situations where he has to prove himself (to himself, in a way). They keep sending him into dangerous situations, and every time he's pretty much forced to push himself. It's pretty easy to show that gradual build where he learns to trust himself and gains the confidence; I never saw the spider scene as him suddenly becoming a badass, but rather as the culminating point where he takes all that bravery he'd accumulated up to that point and finally takes a stand on his own. In my mind, he was always a gangster burglar, it's just that he had never been pushed out of his comfort zone to discover it; as a kid, the moral was "you'd be surprised at what you're capable of when you try".

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Today I get to watch all three LOTR films on the big screen back to back. I don't think I'm prepared for this quest.

Bring some friends so they can share the loooooad.

Also I so wish they would do something like this where I am. I mean, we've got a really cool theater here that shows classics every weekend. I just wish they'd do it right now so I could stop hating you.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

gravelbeast posted:

Am I the only one who's worried the lead might be the weak link in the cast? In all the scenes we've seen with him so far, Freeman's performance seems kind of flat. Really hope I'm wrong.

In fairness, in the scenes we've seen with him so far, Bilbo is supposed to be pretty passive and just going along for the ride. The first half of the book is pretty much Bilbo as Fish Out of Water Protagonist, where we're watching this epic adventure through the eyes of a nervous and annoyed little hobbit, and then about halfway through Bilbo turns into Competent Action Protagonist who starts being a plucky little badass. We've only been seeing scenes from the first half of the tale, where Bilbo is still all "What the hell is going on". Dude just wants to go home and have some tea.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I think you're misunderstanding by what people say when they mean "too real."

Yeah, when people are saying it's "too real", it's as in "I am now innately aware that this movie was filmed on a soundstage and all these trees are made of foam and plastic". It's not like you're really there in Middle-Earth so much as you're really there on the soundstage the movie was filmed at.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I think this is the best bet for integration 48fps in a way that will not bother anyone immensely and will let it ease into people's minds. It seems much more viable to do that instead of just releasing entire films filmed that way at first that most people will think "look weird." Small steps.

Those ideas actually make me kind of excited about the prospect of it. I'm still kind of wary of it being in The Hobbit, but I think eventually we might get to the point where it will be expertly and seamlessly integrated.

Now I'm imagining something like the whole movie being 24 FPS, but then they kick it into 48 for the Mirkwood stuff to reflect just how weird everything is there.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I think another thing with the beard problem is the fact that if you need to be able to easily distinguish the dwarves visually, and having like ten dudes who all look like big bushy beards makes it hard to tell who is who. It's alright for Gimli because he's the short guy with the beard. But when pretty much your entire cast is short guys with beards, you gotta at least mix up the beards.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Shifter posted:

You're right, but it seems wrong to put so much emphasis on each and every dwarf. The majority of the thirteen dwarves were inconsequential to the story except for the whimsical scenes where their tally and name were comic relief.

Narrowing down the few dwarves that actually matter to the plot should give you a less harrowing number of beards to comb into distinctive forms and color schemes to assign. The effort to shape Bifur and Bofur into distinguishable characters seems a waste -this isn't Fellowship material.

Emphasis? gently caress no. They're just making it so you can tell the actors apart. Otherwise why not just cast somebody for Thorin and make the rest of the dwarves CGI if you're going to make the guys we're spending an entire movie following around indistinguishable from one another?

EDIT: Unless you're saying that they should've taken out some of the dwarves and meshed them together to make it less confusing, in which case I don't even want to imagine the nerd fallout on that.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 10, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Shifter posted:

I probably didn't come across as clear as I hoped, so here goes: Would you really need to tell each and every one of the dwarves apart? Honestly, (re-)read the book, you'll find that none save Thorin and Bombur are of significant purpose to the story. Any other role is interchangeable between them. The group is significant for tally and comedy in having rhythm in names.

Having some dwarves looking surly and identical would work -shining a light on each and every one of them would bore the hell of out regular moviegoers.

Again, it's not shining a light on each individual dwarf. Jackson's not giving them each a full backstory and making them major players in the story, he's just giving them defining physical characteristics so that when somebody says "Hey, Bifur", Grandma in the audience can think "Oh yeah, Bifur's the one with the weird eyebrows or whatever". I don't understand how that's shining a light and taking valuable time away from the narrative to give the dwarves their own haircuts and letting the actors put some personality into their roles.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I just wonder, not being entirely too knowledgeable on special effects and optical illusions, but does a forced perspective trick work with a 3D image? It was the coolest thing ever when I realized how simple it was to just have Gandalf stand closer to the camera than Frodo, but in a 3D movie, wouldn't you just go "Oh, he's just standing 20 feet back"?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Jesto posted:

I can't wait for the day when a majority women start finding female characters in movies that only serve the purpose of 'The Love Interest' pandering to be incredibly insulting so the practice stops altogether.

Literally no one watches Lord of the Rings for the romance subplot of all things. When Arwen comes on screen during that dream sequence or whatever it is I just impatiently wait for to be over so the actual story can progress. Why even bother?

Unfortunately, Hollywood would just take this as a sign to stop including women in movies at all and just focus entirely on bromances.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

PlantRobot posted:

Aw, the spider one is great and less jarring in context. It's like a Hobbit children's rhyme- Bilbo distracting the spiders with the first spider-related thing that popped into his head. Action is even going on. :(

He's stabbing the poo poo out of spiders while turning invisible and taunting them with the equivalent of schoolyard taunts. I can totally see it working, but I can also understand if Jackson would just prefer to have him stabbing spiders while Howard Shore's heroic score blares.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

"Attercop" is too archaic, so Bilbo will just shout "Hey spiders! Go gently caress yourselves!" and then blow them away with his elven machine gun.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

"The fat one" is pretty much all he was in the book, frankly.

Seriously, pretty much every time he's mentioned in the book, it's "Bombur, who was very fat, ate a whole pie because he's just so drat fat."

This also makes him one of the most well-characterized and distinguishable dwarves in the entire book.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Just got back, the hfr was mostly pretty drat good. I think my main problem with the tech is that it came along with Jackson using a lot more CGI this time around. Stuff with real people was often gorgeous, and the major animated characters looked great in the high frame rate, but then there would be things like Radagast's rocket sled, which just looked too light and not weighty and real enough due to the animation, or things like the escape from the goblins, where it became obvious that I was watching actors on a sound stage swinging swords around at nothing. Not necessarily due to the frame rate, but because they weren't actually connecting with anything, you didn't get the drama of two swords clashing together or the weightiness of a weapon hitting a body. All in all, I think the HFR is alright, and I was prepared to hate it, but it does seem to make flaws a lot more glaring.

Hell of a fun movie, though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Just a quick question: is Galadriel the only woman with a speaking role in this film?

Yup. And she's not in the book, which to my knowledge doesn't have any female characters aside from a couple of hobbits in the Shire. They did add a new female character who's supposed to help break up the sausage fest in part two.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

That being said, Gollum's appearance in this totally torpedoes the whole thing where we only catch glimpses of Gollum in Fellowship. Although I am looking forward to hearing people react to Gimli discovering the tomb in the Mines of Moria now that they know what they know.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Presto posted:

The Proudfeet thing is right out of the book.

Right, but the camera angle in the movie is right out of the cartoon. Jackson straight up says on the commentary that he used the camera angle right out of the cartoon.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

jackpot posted:

Saw it in 24fps; we're going again this weekend to see it at 48/3D.

I got tired of the humor. Yes, it's a kids' book, I get that. But whereas the LotR had a kind of dry humor, mostly, this was more slapstick; there were a few times I felt we were just seconds away from a fart joke. I'd bet money there was at least a fart joke or two in earlier versions of the script. The goblin king felt like he'd have been more at home in the Star Wars prequels; the more he talked the more I hated his accent, and I swear at one point I thought he was going to break into song. The goblin caverns, though, were outstanding, just gorgeous. I can't wait to see what that looks like in 48fps.

I mean, to be fair, the Goblin King literally DOES break out into song in the book, so that would be another check for "faithful to the book" as far as characterization goes.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Gianthogweed posted:

I agree that the swashbuckling in this movie was over the top, and is probably my biggest complaint as well.

I would love it, if sometime in the future, there are slower paced non-action centric adaptations of these books. It'd be great to see them turned into a high budget tv miniseries one day. I feel like everything has to be over the top action these days and it's getting pretty clear that the audience is getting tired of that.

Yeah, I absolutely love how in the book, Bilbo's turning point is him stabbing some spiders, a relatively low-key moment externally, but internally, it's the moment where he starts to think "Hey, maybe I'm not just some lazy Hobbit and I can do some brave things". It's such a delightful little moment, I got chills when I read it.

Then in the movie this moment is replaced with Bilbo heroically diving in to rescue someone from an impending Orc deathblow while all his friends hang precariously over a cliff about to fall to their death. It was just way too overblown and ended up leaving me a bit disappointed in how Hollywood it was.

And then after the movie the guy behind me declared that "Bilbo kicked way more rear end than Frodo. That guy was such a bitch." and I decided that I hated everything.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Do they have any original songs? I know movie versions of Broadway shows sometimes do that, but I never heard anything about that here.

There's an original song for the movie, yes. And it's been nominated.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Black Bones posted:

I thought Lilly was gonna be Bloom's love interest, which is boring, so I'm hoping the elf-dwarf love is true. That'd be awesome!

Yeah, they were saying that'd be the case before the first movie came out. So it's been confirmed for a while.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

HeebHustler posted:

Is anyone joining me for the Double Feature tomorrow night?

I'm one of those people that walk out of a 3 hour movie and think, "I wish it would kept going for another hour or two!" so it will be cool to revisit the first film and then jump right into the new one.

Yup, we saw our fancy theater was doing a double feature, and it's the wife's birthday, so we're taking an early day from work to get a nap in and then settle in for a good 7 hours of movies.

Good god.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Gaspy Conana posted:

My main gripe with An Unexpected Journey was that I didn't care about the characters. I don't know specifically what they did wrong, but I just didn't feel any connection with them like I did in the LotR trilogy. It made the rest of the movie a slog as I couldn't muster up any emotion when they were in danger. Is this remedied at all in this film?

I'm AM glad that they seem to have dropped the goofy Disney-esque Goblin Town stuff this time around.

It was that they divided characterization between 15 different characters and didn't have a whole ton to make them stand out from each other. We're slowly introduced to the Fellowship in LOTR, so you pretty quickly get a feel for who Frodo is and his relationship to Sam, what Aragorn is about, the relationship between Gimli and Legolas, stuff like that. Merry and Pippin do start off a bit like "And then there were two other generic Hobbits", but they get their room to grow as the story goes on. Whereas in Hobbit, 13 characters walk into a room and immediately turn into basically one big entity who all have the same goal, singing songs together with nothing much to delineate them outside of physical characteristics. They do more to let some of the dwarves shine in this one, definitely, although some more than others.

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 13, 2013

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

I will say that when I first saw The Hobbit last year in HFR, I HATED it.

Watching a double feature this year, I had no real trouble getting used to it, although the parts that were bad were still bad (the opening sequence in Bag End feels sped up and that loving rabbit sled moves around like it weighs all of a pound), and by the time the second movie was going, I didn't even really notice it. Of course, I never really got fully immersed and excited, but I can't tell if that's because of the HFR or because the action sequences are totally devoid of tension. Honestly, I think it's not a bad technology, I just think a special-effects heavy adventure movie was probably not the best way to show it off, but then again, unless you've got Peter Jackson Money, you probably can't convince the industry to switch to a new film standard.

It's different, but I think it's something folks can get used to, but there are also some major flaws that need to be worked out and avoided; the main thing for me is that it makes things seem faster and lighter, so the illusion of weight, both in terms of actual heaviness (Storm Giants look like they don't have any actual weight to them, they move almost too smoothly) as well as story heaviness (everyone seeming to move faster makes it feel like there's not enough time spend on things, if that makes sense. Characters seem to move more quickly, which makes the action in a shot carry less "weight", if that makes any sense).

Crappy Jack fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

hepatizon posted:

I don't see how being bookended by slower scenes could make the goblin caves any less of a lovely amusement park ride. The action scenes suck in and of themselves.

Yeah, the parts that are supposed to be exciting just plain are not. The fights are lacking in tension because they're just 15 guys hitting people with swords, there's no sense of geography or anything like that; even a fight in a small room like the cave troll fight in Fellowship, you're able to tell exactly where all nine characters are, what they're doing, how they're faring in the fight. Compare that to any given moment in the goblin cave section, where you're just watching guys run and stab at stuff, but you generally don't have any idea who is doing what or where they're going. The scenes are just a mindless blur of Stuff Happens.

• Locked thread