Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

DFu4ever posted:

I wonder if John Rhys-Davies is pissed that a few of the new dwarves look like they aren't wearing much make-up at all, considering the living hell it made his life while they were shooting.
He was allergic to the spirit glue, there's a very short shot in the ROTK making of where he burns the last Gimli prosthetic and you can see how red and sore his skin is from all of the irritation.

Plus makeup's developed heaps in the past ten years, thinner and stronger appliances that doesn't hinder facial movement as much.

Edit : Bean hated helicopters not planes.

quote:

Do you have any phobias?
SB: I inherited a fear of flying from my parents and used to hate it. But funnily enough, I’m OK about it now. I spent so long on planes getting to and from New Zealand when I was filming Lord Of The Rings that I just got used to it. I still wouldn’t be very good in helicopters and I’m not great with turbulence, but generally I’m OK in the air.

Is it true you contemplated sailing to New Zealand, rather than flying, such was your fear of flying?
SB: It crossed my mind, but the fact I’d have got there about six months after they’d all started filming made it a bit of a non-starter. Getting a late mark on such a big production could have been so embarrassing.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

My 5th grade teacher got pissed when I managed to answer all the riddles.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Dirty Frank posted:

Had you already read it or are you a genius?
Funnily enough I never actually got around to reading it till my final year. Back in 5th grade I was a bookworm with a thing for mind puzzles so no doubt had read a variation on them - the general trick was to concentrate on what the riddle evoked not so much what it said.

I do recall getting the mountain one because of a passage just before stating that Gollum lived in the roots of a mountain.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Yeah that's what I thought too. I was under the impression that some (or all?) of Public Enemies was shot with some form of digital camera.

In general most films are shot with the shutter angle of 180 degrees; you have a 1/2 circle that's rotating around exposing the frame. For 24 frames per second each frame is exposed at 1/50th of a second with a shutter of 180 degrees.

Lower degrees (like 15) exposes the film for a shorter time, meaning you get less motion blur if you want all gritty particles for your war film.

(Please correct me on this if I've buggered my basic maths.)

A "360" degree shutter is where by having no shutter you effectively match your exposure with the frame rate - a full 1/24 speed exposure as opposed to the norm at 1/50.

Jackson would be shooting at a 1/48 exposure - he is also relying on this for the advantage of deeper focus for the 3D effect (which requires projection at 96fps) so there's some method to his madness.

My "downside view" is that action could be harder to follow given - like a well timed magic trick, we can follow the general action but it might be a bit too fast to keep up.

Regarding Public; digging out my American Cinematographer they shot on Sony's CineAlta F23 which has a 2/3" chip which accounts for all of the deep depth of field you get. They also shot the film in 35mm at the same time to compare the quality.

They were sold on digital over the fact it picks up low light better, allowing the DOP to stuff LED lights behind things, and it's all lovely and crisp, and more dynamic range and so on.

But they lost quality from cropping to 1920x800 which accounts for the odd framing. Plus poking up the gain meant all sorts of noise where there shouldn't be. And in some cases where they shot with multiple cameras (the fight scenes) the frame rates varied when cut.

The cheapness look was actually from ghosting. This was likely caused from them shooting at 23.98fps and moving it into 24fps during post before printing that optically so the imperfections got weirder when you adjusted for international speeds.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Yes, a 360 shutter means there's nothing rotating to sequentially expose a frame of film - it's all done electronically through the chip.

To make another note; you can shoot at 48fps on normal film (1/96), however the major limitation has been you need more light to compensate for the faster rate of exposure. The electronic shutter doesn't have that meaning there's quite a realm of interesting possibilities abound.

BogDew fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 3, 2012

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Five Cent Deposit posted:

At 180 degrees you have an exposure of 1/48, not 1/50....and other fine errors.
Thanks for clarifying all that. Shows me trying to hammer out an explanation at 2 in the morning waiting for stuff to render and crossing wires with PAL in mind (1/50).

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Early Gollum concepts - the DVDs have a few shots of the early early CG before they completely redid him with Serkis.

:NSFW:http://i.imgur.com/eIVH8.jpg:NSFW:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Trump posted:

I mind it's all Philippa Boyens' fault though.
It's not too surprising when you consider from a female perspective there's not much in the narrative for women to latch onto and in today's world going doe eyed for a king is a bit quaint. Arwen at Helms Deep was in no doubt an attempt to make her a bit more than the lonely girl sitting at home vs Eowyn who's pretty much a trailblazer by comparison.

Tokien considered marrying off Eowyn and Aragorn but figured he was a bit too old. He also toyed with the idea of having her killed and Aragon grieving that he never did marry her.

But from that spoiler it kind of appears to be a bit of a joke by way of trying to solve how the hell do you have several dwarves who are mostly background characters not get forgotten beyond "Thorin and the fat one".

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Nilbop posted:

PS Dear Pete please shoot some movies in Ulster love Nilbop
They were actually going to before things got sorted out in NZ.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

But it wasn't glowing in the presence of Shelob in the movie. Time for Return of the King: The Extended Special Edition! :ohdear:
Sam didn't know where the "on" switch was.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

While I do find the notion of mixing in the greater world of Tolkien into their interpretation of The Hobbit fascinating I can't see it being used to fill a whole movie.

Even if you score the rights for "The History of The Lord of the Rings" there's not much you can really piece together for a compelling story - to make a poor comparison - it would feel a bit like Enter The Matrix where the focus on side characters doesn't add much at all and only has appeal for the devoted fan.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Jesto posted:

Wait, people had a problem with Return of the King's endings? Why?
People kept on thinking it was actually ending with Sam and Frodo adrift on a rock in the middle of a lava stream...or wait it's after this bit....no wait after here! Jackson admits even back in The Fellowship that there's a deliberately unconventional act structure, noting how when they arrive in Lothlorien the film should be pacing up to build the final act - in part from having to shift the story dramatically.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Ok we've got an official image of Radagast now.
It looks like his face is being slowly consumed by his beard.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

...and his distracting eyebrows....in 3D...urgh.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

We all know what happens when Dwarves meet royalty...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I did do a marathon screening sometime after Return of the King was released in a little cinema with me and three friends - we were the only ones there. The seats were horridly lovely things that were barely comfortable after one film let alone sitting through the extended editions of Fellowship, Towers and the reg edition of King.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Finally got around to seeing this. I saw it in regular 24 because I can't see 3D too well. I didn't sense any weird stuttering on pans and tracking shots.
I also didn't really feel the film's colour was overblown or intensely saturated. Things being a bit brighter sort of fitted as you're in an age where things still are a bit magical and wondrous.

However I couldn't really shake the feeling I was watching the Extended Edition of The Hobbit where all these bits had been added in to please the die hard fans.
Much of the pacing and general character development seemed a bit stretched and padded. As if the last minute expansion into a trilogy left huge gaps that were patched over with action scene inserts and rapid repositioning of plot elements meant for later films. As scenes wore on you didn't really learn anything new and scenes retrod themselves.

Compare, for argument's sake, to Fellowship where everything's sort of broken up with mini objectives; they have to get to Bree, then escape the riders, then try and get to Rivendell and so forth. Despite that film's unusual plot pacing (even PJ admits that by the time they roll into Lothorien the third act should be ramping up, not slowing down) you still have an understanding on what's going on and why they are where they are.

I wonder if it supposed to be a weird thematic statement or a running joke that nearly every major location transition involves falling off or down something.

The rise of fully digital is an interesting issue modern directors are facing - even established ones. For instance buried away on the Star Wars Blu-Rays is a animatic directed by Spielberg of his view of the Obi-Wan / Grevious chase. It is totally off the wall as they plunge through monorail cars and so forth - in some way it's an early glimpse into Tin Tin and the mental challenge of keeping it reigned in when you have no limits what-so ever.

The craftsmanship was stellar and the CGI utterly amazing, I never really saw Azog as a distracting CG creation, at worst a guy in rubbery prosthetics. The bad CGI tended to be the Wargs and the Rabbit Sled which seemed to be suffering from tracking issues brought on by filming in 3D. I could be really picky and admit I did roll my eyes at some of the shots - there was a first person Gandalf shot thrown into the Goblin flight at one point.
It's sort of evocative of early CG cutscenes, where because the camera has no limits it's freely placed all over the shop.
I got taught in film making that you don't cover everything in your wides - it makes for very dull stagey sequences. People expect the nature of film to draw them into events and the rule that a shot must communicate and not simply show.

My recollection of the book is decades old so I can't quite remember the exact order of events - I suppose it's stopping me from screaming blue murder over changes within an adaptation. Some of you fit Tolkien's description of "deplorable cultus" to a tee.

From what I can gather the biggest flaw was with the 3D/48fps version where people are becoming too distracted by being jolted out with 3D effects or motion sickness that they tend to forget what they're watching or the 3D throws their eyes off into the background or causes them to miss a visual gag.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

I liked the 24 FPS version. Since they shot it 48 FPS, is the former just actually every-other-frame or does it simulate motion blur as if each frame is covering for two?
The same amount of motion blur from capturing at a faster shutter speed is the same when converted down to 24. As you will be dropping half the frames things like pans might look weird depending on how fast the camera moved*.

I'm not sure if they've done any frame blending when converting down to 24 (everything I've read harps on about 48) but I suspect something may have been done to smooth out things a bit. This wouldn't add back in motion blur by any means, aside from a barely perceptible morph between two frames.
Apparently their workflow was in 24 frames until they moved up to 48.

*This pan speed reference chart gives some indication on the complexities in finding a nice middle line.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

seymore posted:

What in the world is that clip for ?
A glimpse into the mind of Ringer fans around the 60's when the series had crossed over into the states and had connected with the hippie movement who saw parallels with the Vietnam war and latched onto the image of the idyllic Hobbit lifestyle vs the flower power movement.

Here's an amusing two-parter that shows Tolkien fans in the 70's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR-4vMEiQ_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca5TUYB1nlw

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

It was hard not to watch the Goblin King with Les Patterson in mind.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Bill the troll had a talking purse. It shouted when Bilbo tried to steal it, sort of a security alarm rather than something sentient.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm sort of interested in what the movies do with Thranduil.
Argue with Legolas over why he can't have the keys to the Elk that night.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

FURIOUS ABOUT ELF FOOD ITT
At least you're not getting pissy over the inclusion of tomatoes, corn and potatoes. Hard core Ringers kind of tear out their hair when trying to explain how such foods appear in a world that is supposed to be an early-prehistory of ours. They suggest these are alternate versions, as their historical counterparts shouldn't exist around that time or conjecture they could have been imported during the fall of Numenor.

It's pretty easy to see Bilbo's version of events as being far more wilder and embellished given he wrote it later in his life vs Frodo continuing the story just years after returning. Bilbo pretty much spent the rest of his life in Rivendell translating Elvish legends.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Nuggan posted:

Sauron has a physical form. He tortures Gollum who describes his black hand with only 4 fingers on it.
Can't believe I've just noticed that parallel between Frodo and Sauron!

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Is there any chance Blu-ray can run at 48 FPS or are we all buying new hardware again?
Blu-Ray is locked off at 30 frames. Most players and screens will do a 3:2 pulldown to play it at speed in accordance to the refresh rate.
So The Hobbit will be at the typical 24 frame 3D.

limeincoke posted:

Would it be possible to show a movie in both 24 and 48 FPS?
You would have to have a projector that allows for the dynamic switching of framerates.
"But video games do it" :v:
Keep in mind that they either dynamically interpolate framerates or drop any frames altogether.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

It seriously looks like something you'd find in an 80's fantasy film. I kind of love the sick idea he's wearing dwarf beards as prize pelts. They're trying to stuff he's a master of Wargs and killer of Dwarves into one design and it looks really overwrought.

Also I can't quite see the actor being able to express emotions or move very well - one of the cool things about almost all of the hero Orcs and Goblins that appeared in the films were that they were done up to be expressive as possible despite all the makeup.

If that were the case then it's little surprise they went for a wholly CGI character that they could map out with facial capture and allow to have some semblance of emotion.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Octy posted:

Anyway, it's more dramatic for him to fall so case closed.
Everytime I see that scene I always sort of wished for that chunk of rock he's clinging onto to give way, when combined with the opening of TT it's implied he just let go in order to go after The Balrog.

Also Jackson wasn't too far off in depicting what happened, basically they fell into the chasm of water, the slimy Balrog tried to escape, Gandalf chased him up the endless stair to the peak of Celebdil where after two days Gandalf finally beat him before dying and being resurrected then picked up by Gwaihir and taken to Lothlórien.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Pureauthor posted:

The way they handled the Undead army was such an incredibly bad decision.
The EE docos recount how they kind of felt a bit stuck as Pirates of the Caribbean had just come out and their original concepts would have felt too similar. The surging dishwashing liquid effect was a bit cringeworthy.

Apparently Peter Jackson didn't like the dead armies as he felt the concept was too unbelievable, but kept it in as the fans would have had fits.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Finally got my EE in the mail. The added scenes are pretty light compared to what you had in the other films. They also suffer a bit from being too repetitive narratively, such as having nearly every scene with Dwarves in Rivendell generally being an affront to Elvish hospitality.

My main nitpick with the action scenes is they suffer from a lack of objective beyond "get out of this scene". Comparing Mines of Moria with Goblin Town there's all these little moments like the staircase that give them something to do other than run around.

I gather this is somewhat of a side effect of being adapted from a book where you are whisked out of the pan and into the fire again and again with little letup.

The plotting also suffers from the stakes being pretty muted in comparison to LOTR, despite tying in the fact the Dwarves are being positioned in the hopes of slowing down Sauron should things go bad. Gandalf's arc is more interesting to follow as there's more tension and suspense at this point in the story.

The EE does expand on that a bit by noting Thorin's descendants grew mad from pocessing the Dwarven ring of power and it does give his character an arc of "will he end up being a rightful king?" Given what's to come there's hopefully more chances of the character fleshing out in complexity. However it's looking like it's being stretched thinly over three films resulting in a weaker character.

However given they managed to pull this off in five months is pretty impressive, so you can sort of forgive the rough edges. The effects are pretty incredible, however you can tell where 3D did cause some compositioning headaches, such as Radagast's sled sort of floating around. The 48 frames to 25 help the effects as there's far more nuance in the animated performances.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

It's a pity the EE extras didn't cover the camerawork. I know that was touched on in the facebook video. I can't recall if they mentioned one of the reasons they had so many RED cameras on set was that it was too time consuming and risky to simply swap over the lens of the 3D cameras as you had to recalibrate them and so forth. A lens change was swapping over a whole unit.

I've heard from industry contacts that Andrew Lesnie was pretty fed up with the sheer technicalities behind operating all of the gear than he ended up spending more time sitting in a tent and communicating with unit operators rather than directly shooting.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I thought they established that Tauriel was pretty much there just to lesson the sausage factory and that there's no relationship at all between her and Legolas. So far from the trailers, BTS and released clips they're kind of setting her up as being far more wayward and gung-ho to highlight how blind the Wood-Elves are to a greater threat.
In a way it's a way to use that "Arwen; warrior princess" concept that was thankfully dropped in Two Towers.

I suspect the Fili falling in love with an elf was actually that small line in the EE where he makes eyes at one.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What were the vfx screwups in his other films?
One famous one was in Two Towers where Theoden's charge down the Helms Deep ramp has him clip through orcs for a few frames.
There a bit on the LOTR EE DVD's showing several CGI gaffes like Gollum's hair physics stuffing up or eyeballs not lining up.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

AttackBacon posted:

I can only hope they have her friend zone him immediately in the third movie, then never bring it up again.
He gets death-zoned.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

It's curious to note how much of the behind the scenes play up Jackson's past as a defense to his overloaded scenes at times.
"Pete's making his character eat testicles, ohoho it's like he hasn't changed from Bad Taste/Feebles..."

But yeah he's certainly fallen trap to the lure of effects, which in part comes from being there right at the start and to a large degree understanding effects very well in fil making to the point where he's developed incredible systems that make it too easy to sketch up elaborate shots, right down to the director doing camera work on a virtual stage.

Traditionally a director would have to trust in the effects department to realize their vision, just in this case WETA has become Jackson's personal dream factory.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Is the Wilhelm scream ever not a joke?
Yeah, one horribly overused one as everyone throws it in there as some demented homage to Ben Burtt. Also as technology improved it's stands out more as it's fidelity is far lower than anything else in the mix.
It's easier to get away with Castle Thunder nowadays.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

If you watch the EE features, it does explain how utterly against the wall they were with time. All of this was done during the pickup session where they had to basically shoot a complete second movie to bridge the gap, in two months and then finished just under a year.

The gold was actually rendered correctly, but it ended up looking like a dull treacle so they deliberately glossed it up to look more shiny and beaming, and ironically faker looking.

Nearly the entire forge attack scene is completely CG, even stuff you think wasn't, such as the pillars they hide behind or the shot that tilts up as Smaug wanders past above them, the walkway was green.
Save for a few corridors and the room with cooked Dwarves and the explosives - not much else was practical.
What they generally did was shoot chunks of scenes of action, such as running across this or that on a mock walkway, then constructed a CG set around the flow of action. Which was then blocked out through a virtual animatic, "filmed" with a virtual camera, before passing that data back off to the FX crew to clean up, comp etc etc.

Of course you only have X amount of time to render shots as well, stuff with Smaug in it can take days to render, so it's not surprising you have flat shots as there was no time to render an accurate lighting pass.

Much of the floaty feel is because there's all this grit and dust shown on the floors that doesn't really move around as they run through.

Also shooting it in a green void, there's no where for light to really come from, so the usual cheat is to drop in a backlight to get a bit of an edge around your subject, then hope to hell it comes together in the comp.

I'll admit, for such an incredible rush job, it holds up reasonably well and flows pretty smoothly, but only just.

Similar stuff happened with the LOTR films, tons of pickups and reshoots and general over the shop scheduling, everyone was sweating blood until they did that 20 mins preview at Cannes where the studios finally breathed easy in the assurance this wasn't going to be a complete multi billion flop and not a direct to video sequel.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

The McKellen thing is really overblown and no doubt people leap at it, for as it's the perfect foil to debase Jackson's effects driven films. Keep in mind it's not like we've never had actors having to pretend to swordfight skeletons before - and in that case it was filming one plate with numbered stand-ins, then getting them to move off set and have the actors do it cue by cue and time it perfectly.

All actors have different methods and it's pretty understandable to not really want to be yelled out alternating direction in the middle of a performance as you really do loose your rhythm.

The EE DVDs do go into the fact they did realise it was a stressful environment, given the scene required insane amounts of timing and memorising cues. The actor playing Beorn had to do the same thing as well. He took it with dry humor "I have mouse for company".

But the crew were deeply sympathetic that they kitted out McKellen's on set standby tent into a bit of a "wizard pad" to cheer him up.
Then everyone wanted something, the guy playing Dwalin had some sort of throne.

But yeah I do agree pushing for a better 3D was really the downfall as it added double the work for the effects artists as everything has to be rendered in 48 frames, not 24, so you can't cheat on blinks or have wonky bits hidden by frame blur.
It's also why people are screaming fake for everything as the fidelity is far greater than usual, so you can see bloopers like the half rendered pots of gold coins as they begin to melt.

Even Andrew Lesnie was fed up with all the 3D as he's admitted that it just became so technically orientated that he felt like all was doing was directing people by radio and not actually filming.
To get an idea how nuts that was, usually with a camera you have the main body and a lens to swap around and so forth. Because it was impossible to do this on a stereo pair, you had a complete camera rig per lens setup. So if you wanted to go from 24mm to 35mm, you had to unplug everything, unmount, remount, refocus, check the links etc etc.

It's kind of a pity as Jackson's pretty deft at knowing how to use effects really well, just in this instance he was pretty up against the wall in trying to achieve so much in a very tight window.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

I'm surprised no one's pointed out the slight issue with the Strider callout.
Aragon is around 10 at the time of The Hobbit. If you were to see him he'd be running around Rivendell under the guise of Elrond's adopted son Estel.

You can see where the error came from if you divide 87 from 60; making him 27 at the time. Curiously it roughly fits in with his history as he's on his worldly adventures, just 17 it's years off the mark.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Lesnie was well regarded with the ACS society. Yesterday was pretty sobering as all sorts of people who've met him and worked with him are just shocked and upset about the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

The Costa Botes documentaries that appeared out of the depths of rights issues on the "Limited Extended Editions" are also fun to watch as they show the daily day-to-day slog on set. It's the complete inverse of the main DVD docos. Apparently the more candid nature of Costa's docos made New Line at the time hold back a bit from releasing them as they don't shy away from being a fly on the wall to people having little spats.

• Locked thread