Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
I don't post in SAD (or read it) because it's just photos and I get just photos from my Flickr.

I don't post in PAD because nobody posts there anymore and I cbf. Also a lot of the stuff in there I don't know and wouldn't critique. Like landscapes.

I just post my street photos in the street thread and my MF in the MF thread. But I'm missing photos because people aren't posting their photos in the respective threads. Mannequin crossposts which is the ideal solution but most people don't.

More project threads is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Schofferhofer posted:

I don't post in PAD because nobody posts there anymore and I cbf.

Problem spotted.

Also, generally, if you have one or more eyes and there is a brain attached to them, you can critique a photo. It may not be great critique, but it beats nothing.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Yes but I hate getting half assed critiques and so I don't like giving them either. If there are images in there that are more geared towards what I shoot then I'll critique those but they're usually not on the page I'm posting on and/or have already received lots of comments.

So I just don't.

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!
I'm at the point where I'd really like critique but I'm not sure WHICH of the threads to post my stuff in and see what happens. I'm just starting out, perhaps Dorkroom 101? I also shoot mostly film and I haven't gotten comfortable with my 30D yet to really use it full time. I've been shooting film for like 18 months but digital for less than 3. So Dorkroom 101 could be like the antithesis of MSD3K if you wanna look at it that way. It'd also give a place to pull from the Newbie photo contest if you're gonna go the GWS route (which I think would be amazing, getting feedback from GBS/the forum at large being laypeople would be interesting).

I also find myself going here first for technical stuff. The silver halide thread is how I learned black and white processing cheap and easy before I ever took a photo course and I really got a lot out of it. So maybe like more technical threads for those of us who are still real new.

Also if we already have it, or don't, an IRC would be great. Just a place to bullshit and get quick stuff answered without making GBS threads up threads/creating a massive quick question thread that'd get huge immediately.

fake edit: yeah I just checked I don't see a Dorkroom on SynIRC. But holy poo poo there's like 15 loving pony channels.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Tempest815 posted:

fake edit: yeah I just checked I don't see a Dorkroom on SynIRC. But holy poo poo there's like 15 loving pony channels.

It's #creatives.

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!

King Hotpants posted:

It's #creatives.

Ah, got it. Thanks, takes care of one bit.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

King Hotpants posted:

It's #creatives.

Can someone unban me from this please? It's stupid. I just want to talk about photography from time to time. I drunk-posted 2 years ago and said some dumb things, but it's over with. Let's move on?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Mannequin posted:

Can someone unban me from this please? It's stupid. I just want to talk about photography from time to time. I drunk-posted 2 years ago and said some dumb things, but it's over with. Let's move on?

Word around #c is that bans are forever.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Looking through the "Fragmente" thread and remembering some of the previous projects people have posted here made me think maybe a "Link & Discuss Your Projects" thread would be kinda cool.

I'm not thinking about a scenario where we suddenly have someone's entire 365 pics posted, but posting a pic or 2 with a brief explanation of what your unifying theme or goal was and then providing a link to the full set and opening up the discussion would be neat. I'm not sure if there are enough people on here with enough active projects to make this bear fruit or not, but I just thought I'd toss it out there.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

krackmonkey posted:

Looking through the "Fragmente" thread and remembering some of the previous projects people have posted here made me think maybe a "Link & Discuss Your Projects" thread would be kinda cool.

I'm not thinking about a scenario where we suddenly have someone's entire 365 pics posted, but posting a pic or 2 with a brief explanation of what your unifying theme or goal was and then providing a link to the full set and opening up the discussion would be neat. I'm not sure if there are enough people on here with enough active projects to make this bear fruit or not, but I just thought I'd toss it out there.

I didn't even know how much I wanted this until I just read it. I tend to be project oriented and they often fall way outside the purview of SAD but I want to share anyways but don't want to push threads off the first page.

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!

Mannequin posted:

Yeeeeah, I'm kinda sorry I brought IRC up now because IRC drama should stay in IRC, I feel. Sorry man.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Yeah, #c isn't some officially sanctioned dorkroom IRC channel or something, it's just where most of us tend to hang out. People should certainly know it exists, but the forums aren't the place for discussion of whatever shenanigans go on there.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
A project logbook thread would be interesting.

I'm starting my mf project in the new year and would really like to have a place to post samples and short updates/writeups.

Plus it would be good to test the waters and gauge reactions.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Word around #c is that bans are forever.

That's dumb. Kefkafloyd and Soundmonkey are also dumb for implementing such a rule. And if you're going to do something like that you should warn people in advance. I helped start the drat chat room 2.5 years ago. But whatever. You people do what you want.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Mannequin posted:

That's dumb. Kefkafloyd and Soundmonkey are also dumb for implementing such a rule. And if you're going to do something like that you should warn people in advance. I helped start the drat chat room 2.5 years ago. But whatever. You people do what you want.

It's ok Manny, we can start a #bannedfromnumberc.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Haha, good idea. Oh well. But let's just drop it before certain entities gets pissed and ban me for mentioning it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mannequin posted:

May I humbly suggest that we stick to ideas for improving dorkroom, and not import irc drama. Or any drama for that matter, other than the Who Owns Pentax This Week game.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Mannequin posted:

Edit: too much drama

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 1, 2012

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have about 3/4 of an idea for a thread I think may be fun. How about a challenge/call out thread where you can post a dorkroom regular who's work you like, but ask them to shoot something different.

For example: I really like USERNAME's landscapes, I would like to see them do a portrait of a person.

There would be no prize or penalty, just a fun thing to get people doing something outside their comfort zone.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TomR posted:

I have about 3/4 of an idea for a thread I think may be fun. How about a challenge/call out thread where you can post a dorkroom regular who's work you like, but ask them to shoot something different.

For example: I really like USERNAME's landscapes, I would like to see them do a portrait of a person.

There would be no prize or penalty, just a fun thing to get people doing something outside their comfort zone.

Thunderdome is reborn!

This is probably a good idea, anyone have any further suggestions for it?

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!

SoundMonkey posted:

Thunderdome is reborn!

This is probably a good idea, anyone have any further suggestions for it?

Make it special edition competition where X people get nominated, then have to work in genres/formats they typically don't. Like a bonus round of the competition you were throwing around.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

On the heels of the thunder dome suggestion:

I'd like to suggest a photo-contest-lite. Throw ideas into an inaugural thread and pick one out every month. Start a new themed thread every month. No voting, no prizes, just something to get people shooting every month with a theme in mind. Critique would be entirely optional. Call out photos you really like, ask questions about the setup, scene, etc.

So basically like a themed SAD. Definitely not labelled as a contest, just a way to get the creative process up and running.

I know there are weeks and months where I can't come up with an idea to shoot to save my life, so a push in a themed direction would probably be enough to get me started looking around. Sure you can say that I shouldn't need a suggestion to start shooting interesting stuff, but let's be honest: sometimes we just need a push to get out of a creative rut.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 2, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Martytoof posted:

On the heels of the thunder dome suggestion:

I'd like to suggest a photo-contest-lite. Throw ideas into an inaugural thread and pick one out every month. Start a new themed thread every month. No voting, no prizes, just something to get people shooting every month with a theme in mind. Critique would be entirely optional. Call out photos you really like, ask questions about the setup, scene, etc.

So basically like a themed SAD. Definitely not labelled as a contest, just a way to get the creative process up and running.

I know there are weeks and months where I can't come up with an idea to shoot to save my life, so a push in a themed direction would probably be enough to get me started looking around. Sure you can say that I shouldn't need a suggestion to start shooting interesting stuff, but let's be honest: sometimes we just need a push to get out of a creative rut.

Or perhaps even a lovely custom title, winner determined by a randomly selected judge.

No prize at all is good too though!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Also, both SAD and PAD are stickied for the next month to encourage posting with the new guidelines. It made me sad to see the once-proud PAD barely clinging to page 1. Now go post.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The only reason I suggest no prizes is that I think it would be best if there were no "competitive" nature to intimidate people who see an amazing photo and decide to just not bother. The way I see it it would be a "post your themed photo no matter how bad you think you are" sort of thing, draw in the most inexperienced photographers too.

Not that I thought the competitive nature of the contests killed THAT many entrants, but I sort of suspect people took a look at some of the amazing stuff that was posted by virtue of the "one entry per person, make it count" thing and didn't think they even had a chance. Or worse, didn't want to embarrass themselves by posting an amateur attempt.

I think I used the phrase photo-contest-lite when I actually meant themed-SAD. Post as many themed photos as you like. Hell, getting someone to post a photo every day would be the ideal situation here if they find they're on a roll if it keeps them looking for this month's theme every day :)

The best competitive nature would be to get great shots of the theme :B

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Martytoof posted:

The only reason I suggest no prizes is that I think it would be best if there were no "competitive" nature to intimidate people who see an amazing photo and decide to just not bother. The way I see it it would be a "post your themed photo no matter how bad you think you are" sort of thing, draw in the most inexperienced photographers too.

Not that I thought the competitive nature of the contests killed THAT many entrants, but I sort of suspect people took a look at some of the amazing stuff that was posted by virtue of the "one entry per person, make it count" thing and didn't think they even had a chance. Or worse, didn't want to embarrass themselves by posting an amateur attempt.

I think I used the phrase photo-contest-lite when I actually meant themed-SAD. Post as many themed photos as you like. Hell, getting someone to post a photo every day would be the ideal situation here if they find they're on a roll if it keeps them looking for this month's theme every day :)

Maybe sometimes prizes will just magically appear :)

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Would a word/picture association game be something people would be interested in or would it be too trite?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Medusula posted:

Would a word/picture association game be something people would be interested in or would it be too trite?

It has been done before and can be interesting assuming that there is enough participation.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Is there enough interest to get the ball rolling on a book review thread?

I can't remember if I started one here ages ago or if it was somewhere else and I know that we have an entire forum devoted to books on sa but tbb peeps have no idea about photography.

Also would be a good place to post a few drafts of reviews that I'm currently doodling for recent photobook purchases.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Schofferhofer posted:

Is there enough interest to get the ball rolling on a book review thread?

I can't remember if I started one here ages ago or if it was somewhere else and I know that we have an entire forum devoted to books on sa but tbb peeps have no idea about photography.

Also would be a good place to post a few drafts of reviews that I'm currently doodling for recent photobook purchases.

I saw somebody mention they wanted a book trading thread. It'd be awesome if we could have a thread for book reviews and trading.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'd be up for book trading too. My aunt gets me photo tutorial books for Christmas, but they're only interesting the first time. Ansel Adams books are the exception.

Nondo
Jul 5, 2002

CODE ORANGE

Dread Head posted:

It has been done before and can be interesting assuming that there is enough participation.

I remember these being pretty entertaining. They sometimes made me dig through old photos and edit stuff I had completely forgotten about.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I'd be very much in favor of a book trading thread, with the standard disclaimers (don't send anything you ever want to see again, etc). This would work especially well for beginner style books - there's only so many times you're going to open Understanding Exposure.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Yeah but other than those books nothing would ever get traded. It'd just be a case of having fifty copies of UE floating around America and nothing else.

So only of interest to guys from America who don't know how to photo and are cheap.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yeah since posting that I've rethought it, no one is going to mail their $150-oversized-and-heavy-as-hell photobooks to strangers on the internet based on faith.

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.

SoundMonkey posted:

I'd be very much in favor of a book trading thread, with the standard disclaimers (don't send anything you ever want to see again, etc). This would work especially well for beginner style books - there's only so many times you're going to open Understanding Exposure.

I use this book as my mouse pad !

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Just to check: is it worth writing up an OP for a projects thread?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Where did BradIndustry go? Looked at our mods, and he's not listed. Saw that he hasn't posted since October.

Tempest815
Oct 7, 2006

FALCON PUNCH!!

torgeaux posted:

Where did BradIndustry go? Looked at our mods, and he's not listed. Saw that he hasn't posted since October.

His home planet needed him. He will me missed*

*(BradIndustry died on the way to his home planet)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

torgeaux posted:

I am not sure, but I am sure that is probably why we have a new mod.